Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2021-03-17 at 7.37.22 AM.png

Keim was on The Junkies this morning and doubled down on this saying his gut tells him their WR choice is Samuel.  EB did some snooping around and indeed Samuel is their #1 target but not sure at this point whether they can get the deal done.

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 3

We need vet WR help badly, but after that, we need to back out of the top free agent market and focus on getting long term deals with Allen and Scherff done ASAP.  They need to be signed before the 2022 cap jump because the contracts are going to be crazy next off season.  A similar cap jump following new TV contracts happened for the NBA in 2016 and the vast majority of the player contracts that were signed that off-season were back breaking albatross deals that derailed the teams who signed them, like the Wizards...

Scherff needs to get done before the summer.  It just has to happen or else we need to let him walk or trade him.  And if we don't sign Allen to an affordable extension early, his next contract will absolutely kill us.  To the point where it makes more sense to trade him now to try and get draft picks even though it will significantly weaken our D in the immediate future.  Our DL is about to become debilitatingly expensive after the cap jump, and Allen will be our only opportunity for a bargain second contract but the window is now.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Hope that doesn't include Samuel.  Belichick is basically outbidding everyone but overpaying.  I'd think the Agholor deal is partly what has screwed up the WR market.    I saw Agholor as a cheapish possibility if a team went in that direction after his comeback year at LV.  I didn't see him as a 13 million a year guy.  And then Marvin Jones who IMO is a better receiver gets half of that?

Collins is a freak and he could cover.  I think he's overrated as a pass rusher -- he's more of a motor-try hard pass rusher than a dude who has moves.  He's a good albeit not great run stopper, he has his share of miss tackles.  What gets me about him is he's 260 pounds and moves like he's 220 pounds.   And he supposedly has through the roof intangibles.  I'd be jazzed if they like him.  As for Davis, he has has a lot of hype from draft geeks now and was hyped by the McGinn scouts -- the stuff I posted on the draft thread.  I haven't found enough footage to make up my own mind about him but I can see he's got some long arms, speed and range. 

IMO Jones was the most underrated WR available I don't know understand it except for his age. He would have been my backup target big name target bawked. I am wondering if they get frustrated and look at John Brown types if these top 3 continue there current stance.

I too have been a long time Zaven guy and your description nailed him. Tons of potential to do everything they want and freak with size and speed but a little raw to be thrown in right away in the middle. Davis feels like a somewhat unknown still as there isn't a lot on him really. There are some guys I could see them loving in rounds 2,3,4 Davis included

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

How sure are we that we can get a starting LT in the 2nd round? I don't mind trading down (and they have hinted that's what they want to do) but from reading all the thoughts on here it seems we can get TE and WR in the 3rd round but the LT/LB that we need have to be our first two picks surely?

My guess is there won't be much left in the 2nd round at LT but its possible.  LT is loaded but that spot and CB  after the top prospects go -- seems to have another strong run if there is something left in the early to mid 2nd.

I think there is a shot a LB is there in the third.  WR for sure.  The hard thing for me at WR is I suspect some of my fav prospects like Elijah Moore or Terrace Marshall or R. Moore -- one of them might be left at the 2nd but will be gone in the third.  If mock draft projections are close to being on the money my favorite 3rd round type would be T. Wallace.

I'd love Brevin Jordan or Tremble at TE but I think both are gone by our third round pick. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TheShredder said:

They signed Fitz when i came back from the gym yesterday and lookie there they sign Williams when i came back today...might need to do two-a-days to fill out the roster!

giphy.gif

Keep shredding Shredder! Keep Shredding!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There aren’t many linebackers who fit the 4-2 inside backer mold we need. Collins is a really good fit there with his OLB tendencies and size and speed. 

Cox could be a good fit for us but he is more coverage and less down hill but still a good bet. Monty Rice is not talked about but could fit. Britt is a flier and not a great coverage guy from what I’ve seen.

For me it’s Collins or Werner... then Cox... then bust.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We need vet WR help badly, but after that, we need to back out of the top free agent market and focus on getting long term deals with Allen and Scherff done ASAP.  They need to be signed before the 2022 cap jump because the contracts are going to be crazy next off season.  A similar cap jump following new TV contracts happened for the NBA in 2016 and the vast majority of the player contracts that were signed that off-season were back breaking albatross deals that derailed the teams who signed them, like the Wizards...

Scherff needs to get done before the summer.  It just has to happen or else we need to let him walk or trade him.  And if we don't sign Allen to an affordable extension early, his next contract will absolutely kill us.  To the point where it makes more sense to trade him now to try and get draft picks even though it will significantly weaken our D in the immediate future.  Our DL is about to become debilitatingly expensive after the cap jump, and Allen will be our only opportunity for a bargain second contract but the window is now.

I hear you but I don't see us signing Allen to a cap killing contract unless he has a tremendous season this year. We have D line depth and how many pro bowls has Allen made? He may ask for a lot but that doesn't mean he'll get it from anyone, our d line is strong and that's before this draft. I'm not sure extending Allen is even the right thing to do right now?

I don't disagree on your point about Scherff.

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

There aren’t many linebackers who fit the 4-2 inside backer mold we need. Collins is a really good fit there with his OLB tendencies and size and speed. 

Cox could be a good fit for us but he is more coverage and less down hill but still a good bet. Monty Rice is not talked about but could fit. Britt is a flier and not a great coverage guy from what I’ve seen.

For me it’s Collins or Werner... then Cox... then bust.

what about Van Noy?

7 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

With the signings thus far, I am even more convinced that our first pick at #19 will be LT Darrisaw.

And that it is all.

Or a WR. And that's all we need.

Or a LB. Because that's all we need.

Or a FS. As that's all we need.

Or a TE. Since that's all we need.

Or a Guard. Then, that's all we need.

So...just this LT, and this WR, and this LB, and this FS, and this TE, and this Guard.
That's all that's left, that we need. And we will be set !

steve martin film GIF

Great movie... "And this lamp..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Riggo-toni changed the title to The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, William Jackson signed; Darby, KPL out
2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m still looking for another DB to add to the group.

Yeah, they may even eat some cap space for another team and ship multiple players out, based on the FA incomings.

Louis Riddick saying on air the Pats are showing a clinic on how to do FA right.    Well, it's not hard when you throw more money around than anyone else to land target after target.  13 million a year for Agholor? When the Jags get Marvin Jones for about 7 million a year. 

Then again Riddick is the same dude who orchestrated the Eagles dream team from years ago when they went nuts in FA.  That didn't age well.  As for the Pats will see. 

• Like 2

LBer and FS and this defense is JDRs masterpiece. 

We were so bad against the run last year, that I wouldn't hate Perryman at all. We're playing against the run from the nickle plenty anyway. 

Hudson is almost a box safety like Collins. Curl, while definitely a SS is decent in coverage. JHC was suppose to be a Joker type SS/LB hybrid, but he's 235lbs now.

Holcomb should be better.

I assume Bostic should have been our thumper, but was just bad at it. 

On 2/19/2021 at 11:43 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I hope we look to target younger players in free agency, mainly coming off their rookie deals. Even those with mixed/underwhelming production deserve a look if the deal can be relatively low value. Low risk/high reward and all that....options, with current age in brackets...

JuJu (WR 24)

Samuel (WR 24)

Corey Davis (WR 26)

Kendrick Bourne (WR 25)

Jonnu Smith (TE 25)

Jayon Brown (LB 25)

Anthony Walker Jr (LB 25)

Jarrad Davis (LB 26)

Raekwon McMillan (LB 25)

Kamalei Correa (LB 26)

Malik Hooker (FS 24)

Don’t expect OL but Cam Robinson (OT 25) and Forrest Lamp (OG 26). Can’t believe we didn’t go after Daryl Williams last season.

Still a few left from my list. Come on Ron and Co, let’s bring a couple more in...

Just now, Anselmheifer said:

I wonder how much cap room we could clear with long term deals for Jonathan Allen and Brandon Scherff. 

I think Allen would be a wash, currently 10mil so hard to make that lower. But it does lock him in.

Scherff, I think a LTD would easily get us 6mil back in space. Covers an extra signing at the Jackson level.

Falcons apparently likely to move off 4 for future draft capital after their Matt Ryan restructure essentially guarantees he’s their QB 2-3 more years. 

I’d send them 1-3 this year and 1-3 next year. 

but assuming we otherwise avoid QB this draft, I’d like to really hammer positions of value. TE is not a position of value IMO. You can usually find some diamonds later on. Jonnu was a 5th I believe. Moss could still emerge for us. Staff liked Baugh apparently as well. 

LB, WR (2x), LT (longterm) are 3 positions I’d nail early in the draft. Curious how this staff feels about Charles and where they’ve got him going forward (LG, LT, RR?)

2 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

I wonder how much cap room we could clear with long term deals for Jonathan Allen and Brandon Scherff. 

Scherff likely down from $19m to around $10-11m. 

Allen is tough. If he gets anywhere near Williams deal, any extension might actually be bad for us. He’s at $10m hit now. Even if we extend at an APY of $16-17 it’s gonna be hard to get his 2021 hit much lower tbh

1 minute ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Falcons apparently likely to move off 4 for future draft capital after their Matt Ryan restructure essentially guarantees he’s their QB 2-3 more years. 

but assuming we otherwise avoid QB this draft, I’d like to really hammer positions of value. TE is not a position of value IMO. You can usually find some diamonds later on. Jonnu was a 5th I believe. Moss could still emerge for us. Staff liked Baugh apparently as well. 

LB, WR (2x), LT (longterm) are 3 positions I’d nail early in the draft. Curious how this staff feels about Charles and where they’ve got him going forward (LG, LT, RR?)

Add FS if we don't add a Hooker type in FA.

Caden Sterns would be perfect for us. He and Moehrig are my favorite safeties in this draft, but even though I think Moehrig is probably the better safety, Sterns is my favorite safety in the draft.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Scherff likely down from $19m to around $10-11m. 

Allen is tough. If he gets anywhere near Williams deal, any extension might actually be bad for us. He’s at $10m hit now. Even if we extend at an APY of $16-17 it’s gonna be hard to get his 2021 hit much lower tbh

Dude, stop trying to trade away all of our draft picks.  Just stop it! Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

@KDawg I’m kind of assuming we end up with a later FA at FS like Boston or Hooker. I’ve also seen some guys saying Collins at SS, Curl at nickel / dime backer ... and going out to get a center fielder for fairly cheap like Boston.

i guess that’s in a 4-2-5 setup?

I also liked what we saw from Reaves last year. 

I really truly think our front 4 makes our DBs over perform. Not saying you can plug in a JAG but we had a 7th round rookie and an UDFA safety in Reaves both grade out very highly because of how our front 4 performed. So a bit weary throwing $$ and high picks at the safety spot. 

Also having two lockdown guys like Fuller and Jackson should allow our safeties a bit more leeway as well

3 minutes ago, -JB- said:

Dude, stop trying to trade away all of our draft picks.  Just stop it! Lol

That’s only 4 picks haha. I mean if it secured you Fields or Lance I think it would be worth it. Keep 2-3-4-5-7-7 this year too. 

I am more in the “build the team” camp. I’m on record saying my best case would be sign Samuel and a LB like Anthony Walker, draft Darrisaw at 19, a WR like Bateman, Marshall in round 2, then LB/WR/TE/CB with picks in rounds 3-5. 

complete team. Figure out QB later. 

I don’t think Bateman or Marshall fall to 51, but one of our 3rds could be a nice spot to grab a guy that falls like the 6’4 WR from FSU. Samuel takes some pressure off getting an immediate impact guy earlier. 

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1