Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Trump Riot Aftermath (Oath Keepers founder Stewart Rhodes found guilty of seditious conspiracy. Proud Boys join the club)

Cooked Crack

Trump's defense secretary denies there were orders to have 10K troops ready to deploy on January 6

Former acting Defense Secretary Chris Miller told the House select committee investigating the Capitol Hill insurrection that former President Donald Trump never gave him a formal order to have 10,000 troops ready to be deployed to the Capitol on January 6, 2021, according to new video of Miller’s deposition released by the committee.

“I was never given any direction or order or knew of any plans of that nature,” Miller said in the video.

Miller later said in the video definitively, “There was no direct, there was no order from the President.”

“We obviously had plans for activating more folks, but that was not anything more than contingency planning,” Miller added. “There was no official message traffic or anything of that nature.”

Trump has previously said that he requested National Guard troops be ready for January 6. He released a statement on June 9 that he “suggested & offered” up to 20,000 National Guard troops be deployed to Washington, DC, ahead of January 6 claiming it was because he felt “that the crowd was going to be very large.”

The committee released Miller’s testimony after already revealing that Trump did not make calls to military personnel or law enforcement to intervene as the Capitol attack was unfolding. General Mark Milley, the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, told the committee that he never received a call from Trump as the attack as unfolding.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

I don't often watch Lawrence O'Donnell but I do check in on his program from time to time. I'm glad I did last night. My goodness, it was an important news and commentary program. 

We must remember that it took 2-5 years to prosecute and convict the Watergate felons. Since I watched all of Watergate unfold and followed the Washington Post reporting at the time, I was confident that investigations were happening. Sometimes legal proceedings take time, especially for something as important as an insurrection investigation.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

I don't often watch Lawrence O'Donnell but I do check in on his program from time to time. I'm glad I did last night. My goodness, it was an important news and commentary program. 

We must remember that it took 2-5 years to prosecute and convict the Watergate felons. Since I watched all of Watergate unfold and followed the Washington Post reporting at the time, I was confident that investigations were happening. Sometimes legal proceedings take time, especially for something as important as an insurrection investigation.

He often has perspective and experience with stuff like this that is missing pretty much every place else. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

Well, to be fair you didn’t have Twitter experts back then lol…

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

If nothing happens to these people I'll pretty much lose all faith. the evidence is so ridiculously damning. The only thing they didn't do was literally say in the emails "Hi, we are plotting a coup, are you in?"

Funny you had faith to begin with.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

If nothing happens to these people I'll pretty much lose all faith. the evidence is so ridiculously damning. The only thing they didn't do was literally say in the emails "Hi, we are plotting a coup, are you in?"

You put to much faith. I fully expect nothing to happen to Trump and all the politicians involved. They may get indicted but th at won't be convicted.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

5 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

You put to much faith. I fully expect nothing to happen to Trump and all the politicians involved. They may get indicted but th at won't be convicted.

You have absolutely zero room to talk to anyone about their expectations my dude. Blind pessimism is just as much a problem as blind optimism. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

At this point the investigation seems to be close enough if not right at the doorstep of Trump's inner-circle that either

A) They are going to flip and provide the remaining necessary information/smoking gun(s) (Mostly having to do with self-preservation and less to do with doing the right thing)

B ) Still holding out hope that if they just stonewall, conceal, & lie, it will be okay because they are going to make sure Trump is back in the White House and they have it on good authority that they'll be protected should they have any punishment in the short term.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

There are more smoking guns around Drumpf than at the OK corral, but whereas we had 4 investigations into Benghazi and Hillary agreed to testify, and endless screams about emails even though the DOJ said no prosecutor would try that case, all we heard was "Lock her up"

Now, here are a few cut and dry illegal activities:

It is illegal to use a tax exempt charity to contribute to political campaigns, but the Trump foundation did just that, sending money to the prosecutor investigating Trump University...who subsequently dropped the charges.

It is illegal to solicit contributions, either in funds OR any form of aid from a foreign entity, but there is audio and video of multiple incidents of Trump doing exactly that.  

And that's even before all the circumventing of an election...the find me 13k votes caught on tape, inciting a riot, et al... which was the single most dangerous threat to our democracy since the Civil War.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

22 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Unfortunately, I have to semi-agree here. I do think that some of the politicians/staffers/supporters that did dirty deeds for Trump will be punished, just like Michael Cohen and Paul Manafort. I just don't think (and never have) that our DoJ will ever indict, convict, or imprison a former POTUS. 

The case has always been that those serving DJT take the fall. This is why it baffles me that anyone ever enlists in his service after seeing time after time that he uses, discards, and leaves his people in jeopardy. It's truly mind-boggling to me that they never see it coming. Yes, he pardoned a few but they run right back to the front line for him where they risk yet more exposure to law enforcement. 

It's truly a cult. THE most amazing political phenomenon of my lifetime. I'd come somewhere close to admiring it if I didn't know it were SO corrupt and SO devoid of ANY good intention from the cult leader.

• Like 2

Trump asks court for absolute immunity from Jan. 6 lawsuits

In a brief filed with the U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit on Wednesday, Trump's lawyers asked the court to reverse Judge Amit Mehta's February ruling that denied a motion to dismiss lawsuits related to the Capitol riot. The brief argues that Trump's speech at a "Stop the Steal" rally on Jan. 6 falls within the scope of speech protected by presidential absolute immunity. The former president is facing several lawsuits filed by congressional lawmakers and Capitol Police officers related to his actions on Jan. 6.

"President Trump is shielded by absolute presidential immunity because his statements were on matters of public concern," his attorneys argue in the brief, adding, "No amount of hyperbole about the violence of January 6, 2021, provides a basis for this Court to carve out an exception to the constitutional separation of powers."

Mehta ruled in February that Trump's Jan. 6 speech at the ellipse near the South Lawn of the White House, as the 2020 election was being certified by Congress, were likely “words of incitement not protected by the First Amendment."

Trump's legal team argues in Wednesday's filing that impeachment is the only means of punishing a president for abuse and that attempts by Democrats and others to sue Trump after he emerged victorious in his impeachment trial are tantamount to "harassment."

• Thumb down 1

U.S. judge declines to acquit ex-Trump adviser Bannon, but mulls dismissing charges

A federal judge on Wednesday declined a request to acquit Donald Trump's former presidential adviser Steve Bannon on two contempt charges for defying a subpoena from a congressional committee investigating the 2021 Capitol attack, but he left open the door to consider dismissing the charges instead.

A jury on Friday found Bannon, 68, guilty of two misdemeanor counts for refusing to provide testimony or documents to the House of Representatives select committee as it scrutinizes the Jan. 6, 2021, rampage by Trump's supporters.

In Wednesday's ruling, U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols said Bannon's last-ditch request for the court to acquit him of the charges lacked merit.

"The court concludes that the evidence presented in the government’s case was sufficient to sustain a conviction," Nichols wrote.

However, the judge said he still wants both parties to provide additional legal briefs before he can rule on Bannon's second request that Nichols dismiss the charges.

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, China said:

U.S. judge declines to acquit ex-Trump adviser Bannon, but mulls dismissing charges

A federal judge on Wednesday declined a request to acquit Donald Trump's former presidential adviser Steve Bannon on two contempt charges for defying a subpoena from a congressional committee investigating the 2021 Capitol attack, but he left open the door to consider dismissing the charges instead.

A jury on Friday found Bannon, 68, guilty of two misdemeanor counts for refusing to provide testimony or documents to the House of Representatives select committee as it scrutinizes the Jan. 6, 2021, rampage by Trump's supporters.

In Wednesday's ruling, U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols said Bannon's last-ditch request for the court to acquit him of the charges lacked merit.

"The court concludes that the evidence presented in the government’s case was sufficient to sustain a conviction," Nichols wrote.

However, the judge said he still wants both parties to provide additional legal briefs before he can rule on Bannon's second request that Nichols dismiss the charges.

This is ridiculous. He was subpoenaed. He didn't show. He bragged about not showing on his podcast. What he says no about communicating with the committee about how to appear is nonsense.

• Thumb up 2

7 hours ago, @DCGoldPants said:

This is ridiculous. He was subpoenaed. He didn't show. He bragged about not showing on his podcast. What he says no about communicating with the committee about how to appear is nonsense.

He's the most disgusting human being, and looking at him multiplies that by 1000x.  

He tried to kill the US. 

And I hope he never honestly gets laid again or has to pay a gazillion dollars to some chick who has to put "I have a blindfold in the contract to do it, and he gets a minute, tops". 

• Haha 2