Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

On 5/31/2021 at 7:38 PM, mistertim said:

I think one of the interesting recent trends in QBs in the last 5 years or so is that teams seem much more willing to cut a 1st round rookie loose pretty early and try again shortly afterwards if they feel he's not working out and they could get another option. Happened with Rosen, happened with Haskins. It used to be unheard of that a rookie wouldn't get at least 2-3 years. Even Ryan Leaf and Akili Smith got 2, Heath Shuler and Jamarcus Russel both got 3...and those guys were the biggest busts of all time.

I wonder if that speaks to how important teams realize having top QBs nowadays and so they just keep trying. The fact that there's a rookie salary cap helps that as well, so there's not a crapload of dead money a team has to eat if they decide the QB they picked isn't the guy. I have a feeling that the Giants and Eagles may very well be in the market for QBs next draft, and they both will have the capital to get one.

I do think its related to the salary cap for sure. But im willing to bet it has a lot to do with who gets the snaps too. Teams and Offensive coaches in particular seems to refer to snaps almost like they do resources. Kyle Shannahan was the first guy I noticed doing it, but a lot of our coaches since then did it to. And part of why i noticed it may because of the increased emphases on practice and in game snaps that RG3 took relative to Cousins around year 3. It was clear after a certain point, not practicing was a problem for Griffin and Cousins flourished with the added practice. 

What I'm trying to say is while I think the cap is a big part of it, I think the practice and in game snaps are so hard to come by.....and count so much towards a players development.....that teams don't want to waste them on a guy like Haskins when its clear after a certain point they could be better used elsewhere. Be that a rookie or an unknown, or just a vet on the bench that you think could see significant time later in the season if things work out right, like they did with Heineken. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

This is exactly what Rivera talked about when asked after the season about Heinicke and his performance. He said it was impressive for a guy to come off the street and play that well, but it's one thing for a guy to play that way in one game where it may literally be his last time playing and he has absolutely nothing to lose, and another for him to show that he can consistently be a good player while altering his playing style for more longevity.

38 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This is exactly what Rivera talked about when asked after the season about Heinicke and his performance. He said it was impressive for a guy to come off the street and play that well, but it's one thing for a guy to play that way in one game where it may literally be his last time playing and he has absolutely nothing to lose, and another for him to show that he can consistently be a good player while altering his playing style for more longevity.

Yep that's what he said in a nut shell. 

Personally, I like what I saw in that short 1.25 game stint from Heinicke.  I am not sold.  I am not unsold.  I am leaning positive on him as a player.  I lean negative on him as for his durability.     

It should be an interesting ride for him. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep that's what he said in a nut shell. 

Personally, I like what I saw in that short 1.25 game stint from Heinicke.  I am not sold.  I am not unsold.  I am leaning positive on him as a player.  I lean negative on him as for his durability.     

It should be an interesting ride for him. 

That is my take too.  He played well, but the sample size was really really small.   Bigger sample sizes have lead me astray before, but I liked what I saw.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Heinicke is already hurt. :ols:

It's just a random cut on his face, but this dude just can't stay out of his own way.

I know you were kidding but here is what I heard - random freak accident - got an elbow from a RB. RR was dogging him about it in a friendly way. 

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Seems RR and Taylor himself agree with me (and many others) that there are legitimate injury concerns based on the limited time he has played.  Good on him for taking it as a challenge. Shows his determination and will do nothing but make the QB more competitive. This is good news for the team. 

Someone else said it earlier but it seems Allen is being considered almost an afterthought. He has his own injury concerns but he was playing pretty decent when he replaced Haskins. We may have a much more competitive QB room than many, including fans and the so called experts thought we would. Not saying there is future HOF player in there but there could easily be a very solid QB come out, maybe more than one. Put that with the defense that should be lights out and this could be a very dangerous team. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Yep, and it’s a great point.  I will say that playing as well as he did when it was such a high pressure game (as well as the willingness to lay it on the line) is a nice tally in the ledger for Heinicke.  

On the flip side, I believe he had a pretty high avg in terms of time to release.  Don’t know how much scrambling is factored in there, or the fact he pushed the ball down the field (not as many dump offs?), but it’s probably something to work on.

29 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

I know you were kidding but here is what I heard - random freak accident - got an elbow from a RB. RR was dogging him about it in a friendly way. 

Seems RR and Taylor himself agree with me (and many others) that there are legitimate injury concerns based on the limited time he has played.  Good on him for taking it as a challenge. Shows his determination and will do nothing but make the QB more competitive. This is good news for the team. 

Someone else said it earlier but it seems Allen is being considered almost an afterthought. He has his own injury concerns but he was playing pretty decent when he replaced Haskins. We may have a much more competitive QB room than many, including fans and the so called experts thought we would. Not saying there is future HOF player in there but there could easily be a very solid QB come out, maybe more than one. Put that with the defense that should be lights out and this could be a very dangerous team. 

Yeah, weird that I won’t mind seeing any of our top 3 qbs out there on game days...

• Like 2

On 6/2/2021 at 6:06 PM, goskins10 said:

I suspect Ron thinks the same thing and that's exactly why he apparently decided he had greater needs than drafting a QB this year.

Edited by SonnySideUp
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Eh, the "Taylor Heinicke outplayed Ryan Fitzpatrick throughout the week" thing is from a guy who's very much a Heinicke homer. He already came out with an article in the past saying that Heinicke should be the starter. I think it's probably safe to say that he's not exactly what you'd call an impartial observer. 

• Like 1