Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

2 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

That's a good breakdown

Bills - tough game, but it's AFC so I won't be too mad at a competitive loss

Falcons - about on our level so we have to pull it out, plus it's NFC so it's important

Saints - again,  about in our level. We'll see how Winston is by then but history says he's similar to Fitz so we need to make him make mistakes

Chiefs - tough game but again AFC

Packers - tough game and we'll see where Rodgers is by then but winnable if the chaos continues

Broncos - definitely winnable, but they're also about on our level. We'll see if Teddy has cooled off by then or if they're starting Luck.

So I have a probabilistic best case of 5-3. I wouldn't be mad at that at all. 

If the defense doesn't improve, that isn't happening.

Bills- Probable competitive loss  1-2

Falcons-  Win 2-2

Saints- IF Week 1 Winston appears instead of 2019 Winston; I think this is a loss. 2-3

Chiefs- Blowout loss.  2-4

Packers- loss.  2-5

Broncos-  Close win. 3-5      

3-5 is realistic. Maybe 4-4, if we beat Saints.

As for Taylor, any long term extension should happen until after 22.   I don't care how well he does this year, he needs to show he can repeat it next year.  There are plenty of QBs that had a great year, only to end up sucking the next year.    If you want to extend his contract for a year to 23, that's fine.   No, long term extension until he proves he can do it for 2 consecutive years.   And if he does earn that extension; you are dreaming if he would take  an extension at 10 million a year.

If the team actually wanted to give him an extension after this year; Taylor should at minimum ask for 20 - 30 million a year.  The average starting QB salary will be  40 - 50 million per year pretty soon. If after 2 years he has earned the long term contract; he will probably ask for 40-50 million and probably get 30-40 million per year.

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

If the defense doesn't improve, that isn't happening.

Bills- Probable competitive loss  1-2

Falcons-  Win 2-2

Saints- IF Week 1 Winston appears instead of 2019 Winston; I think this is a loss. 2-3

Chiefs- Blowout loss.  2-4

Packers- loss.  2-5

Broncos-  Close win. 3-5      

3-5 is realistic. Maybe 4-4, if we beat Saints.

As for Taylor, any long term extension should happen until after 22.   I don't care how well he does this year, he needs to show he can repeat it next year.  There are plenty of QBs that had a great year, only to end up sucking the next year.    If you want to extend his contract for a year to 23, that's fine.   No, long term extension until he proves he can do it for 2 consecutive years.   And if he does earn that extension; you are dreaming if he would take  an extension at 10 million a year.

If the team actually wanted to give him an extension after this year; Taylor should at minimum ask for 20 - 30 million a year.  The average starting QB salary will be  40 - 50 million per year pretty soon. If after 2 years he has earned the long term contract; he will probably ask for 40-50 million and probably get 30-40 million per year.

if he plays well enough to be our starter next year then you need to give the guy a pay raise for next 2 years for at least $10 mil a year.  After those 2 years then Heinike will be in like for a real long term starter QB money

Signing Taylor now is not happening nor should it. He just got his first win as a professional and it was against the 0-2 NY football gnats. He has earned the right to have the job be his until he loses it. In other words I don't think Ryan gets the job back just becasue he is healthy. It should be Taylor's job to lose now. Nothing more nothing less. 

Let's say he does play at the same level - I will leave Ws and Ls out of it as there are a lot of factors, not the least of which is our D playing like **** - but assuming he continues to give the team a chance to win game in and game out, you have to sign him off season. But I don't see how it could be an extension and it's not $10M/yr for 2 yrs. Based on the incentives described above and his roster bonus it looks like he could make almost $4M next year with say 10 wins. If he is willing to bet on himself, he could wait until that contract is over and be a free agent and that contract becomes huge - likely in the $30M/yr+ range. But he has to stay healthy and take $4M fro 2022.

So I would see an offseason signing of something more like $20M/yr for 3 to 4 yrs with escalating injury guarantees to make the contract ultimately about 75% gauranteed and incentives that could add $5M/yr. And that would start in 2022, not an extension. And at that point he would be worth it. In fact I would rather them pay that at the end of this season after Taylor showing he can hold up an entire season than get impatient and sign him to some kind of extension now only to have him fail or get injured. If he shows he can be the guy and hold up to a full season, then he should get paid. The money is there. Even at $25M/yr we would still be in really good shape CAP wise and you would have a very motivated player who feels like the team respects him. 

I am obviously rooting for him. Tough test coming up against Buffalo. They stumbled against Pitts but they are crazy talented team. If our D does not get it's head out of it's collective ass, it will not matter what Taylor does as they will hang 50 on us. But that is a different conversation - just wanted to complain abotu the D some more.

One thing that would help is if they get Curtis Samuel back. When healthy. he adds a cray new dimension to the offense. I hope Scott runs more. It will help Taylor and the passing game, alot. Throwing the ball 46 times is not sustainable for anyone. 

Edit: Samuel on IR for 3 weeks. Can't come back for Buffalo. 

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Signing Taylor now is not happening nor should it. He just got his first win as a professional and it was against the 0-2 NY football gnats. He has earned the right to have the job be his until he loses it. In other words I don't think Ryan gets the job back just becasue he is healthy. It should be Taylor's job to lose now. Nothing more nothing less. 

Let's say he does play at the same level - I will leave Ws and Ls out of it as there are a lot of factors, not the least of which is our D playing like **** - but assuming he continues to give the team a chance to win game in and game out, you have to sign him off season. But I don't see how it could be an extension and it's not $10M/yr for 2 yrs. Based on the incentives described above and his roster bonus it looks like he could make almost $4M next year with say 10 wins. If he is willing to bet on himself, he could wait until that contract is over and be a free agent and that contract becomes huge - likely in the $30M/yr+ range. But he has to stay healthy and take $4M fro 2022.

So I would see an offseason signing of something more like $20M/yr for 3 to 4 yrs with escalating injury guarantees to make the contract ultimately about 75% gauranteed and incentives that could add $5M/yr. And that would start in 2022, not an extension. And at that point he would be worth it. In fact I would rather them pay that at the end of this season after Taylor showing he can hold up an entire season than get impatient and sign him to some kind of extension now only to have him fail or get injured. If he shows he can be the guy and hold up to a full season, then he should get paid. The money is there. Even at $25M/yr we would still be in really good shape CAP wise and you would have a very motivated player who feels like the team respects him. 

I am obviously rooting for him. Tough test coming up against Buffalo. They stumbled against Pitts but they are crazy talented team. If our D does not get it's head out of it's collective ass, it will not matter what Taylor does as they will hang 50 on us. But that is a different conversation - just wanted to complain abotu the D some more.

One thing that would help is if they get Curtis Samuel back. When healthy. he adds a cray new dimension to the offense. How nice would it be to get another big weapon just in time for Buf. Also, I hope Scott runs more. It will help Taylor and the passing game, alot. Throwing the ball 46 times is not sustainable for anyone. 

Curtis Samuel is on IR so he’s out until game 4 at least.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Curtis Samuel is on IR so he’s out until game 4 at least.

Yea I realized that after I wrote it. They wanted some more speed so they just signed this guy. Another Panther in the fold.  

5' 11" - 190 lbs. He is 28 and never caught an NFL pass. So should be interesting. He is on the PS but I can see HOF written all over him. Just needs a chance.  He was crazy good in college. 

Ha! I was the first one!! I beat everyone! Mark it ****es! 

Edited by goskins10
  • Haha 1

a little thing i notice is people calling him 'kid' and he's 28 and been in the league 7 years (iirc) 

of course with the trend towards qbs lasting into their 40's it may fit these days :)

fwiw, i'd suggest everyone posting in here with vigor should read his entire wiki page if they haven't already

there are a lot of details available (it seems a fairly thorough entry) if you're interested in being really informed 

it could also set up some fun back-n-forths as i see things that both the more cautious and the more assured could cherry pick to support their position while another sentence close by may provide a counter view

there's simply a lot of worthy info to take in for any wft fan even if 'it's just wiki' (one can always verify an entry using another source)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Heinicke

• Like 5

2 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Agree on both points.  Especially since the D displayed some bravado before the season, comments including this is the best defense in the league, Sweat-Young want to set the NFL sack record, etc.  I am not in a panic about the defense but they need to show up.  If they think Herbert and Daniel Jones are a handful, wait to they face Rodgers (last weeks game notwithstanding), Mahomes, Brady, etc.  Heck maybe even Josh Allen.  Allen is obviously >>>> Daniel Jones. 

As for Heinicke, I rewatched some of the game.  My main pause about him before fully jumping on the band wagon aside from durability is ball placement not that its bad but its inconsistent.  I of late don't agree with Sheehan on some things but I do agree with him that Heinicke's accuracy is inconsistent and not pinpoint. That was clear as a bell in camp practices I watched and ditto the reporters who were at practice witnessing his throws.    With some of his throws sailing on Thursday, he was lucky not to be picked off more than he was.  Having said that, I love that he's a hardworker (or so is his rep) and perhaps that's a kink he conquers.  But the dude is definitely a gamer and makes big plays when the lights are brightest and I put a lot of stock in that.  One thing that struck me rewatching it is he was in the pocket a lot versus being on the move -- its a good sign that he can make plays from the pocket like that because I am confident he can do it on the move.  

I noticed he was given a bad QBR rating for that game.  35.8.  That's nuts.   This game coming up against Buffalo can add big time to the legend so to speak.  I don't expect to win so Heinicke helping pull off a miracle win would be incredible, I'd buy a jersey if so like that dude below.  Unexpected wins don't come often to us.   The defense needs to show up for that one, Heinicke isn't going to do it on his own.  In both of his starts here, Heinicke has been given very little help from this defense who was shredded against Tampa as well. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

With some of his throws sailing on Thursday, he was lucky not to be picked off more than he was.  Having said that, I love that he's a hardworker (or so is his rep) and perhaps that's a kink he conquers.  But the dude is definitely a gamer and makes big plays when the lights are brightest and I put a lot of stock in that.  One thing that struck me rewatching it is he was in the pocket a lot versus being on the move -- its a good sign that he can make plays from the pocket like that because I am confident he can do it on the move.  

I haven't rewatched the game and you've definitely seen more with camp etc. It seemed however that aside from a few early throws that sailed he calmed down and his accuracy improved as the night went on. I don't think the interception was all his fault but certainly some. As he gets more games under his belt I'd like to see more consistency from the start. I think if he can do that and limit mistakes he's going to be very, very successful.  I do think he proved he can play from the pocket and not rely on his legs which is very encouraging. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Isifhan said:

I haven't rewatched the game and you've definitely seen more with camp etc. It seemed however that aside from a few early throws that sailed he calmed down and his accuracy improved as the night went on. I don't think the interception was all his fault but certainly some. As he gets more games under his belt I'd like to see more consistency from the start. I think if he can do that and limit mistakes he's going to be very, very successful.  I do think he proved he can play from the pocket and not rely on his legs which is very encouraging. 

Yeah rewatching the game I was more encouraged not less about Heinicke because I had two main concerns about him:  durability and also can he do it from the pocket versus making plays on the move.  He passed both of those tests for me.  Though durability is clearly something that has to play out.

As for accuracy, as I've said previously, its one of the coolest thing from camp that anyone can see.  Ditto arm strength.    Both are hard to miss.  The reason being is they throw ball after ball nonstop in practice after practice which you don't see in games.  And as I mentioned both Fitz and Heinicke had something in common.  That is, they could look superbly accurate for a spell and then all of a sudden just throw wild for a few minutes.

Accuracy isn't the be all and end all.  And I do think Heinicke has good accuracy but there is some inconsistency with it.   Mahomes isn't always the most accurate dude, neither is Josh Allen, and they improved on that front.    Most importantly, Heinicke's best seems to come out in the big moments.  Not to jinx him on that considering its still a small sample 

Heinicke seems to have a real good sense of the game flow.  Is smart.  Makes big plays when it counts.  And has some Mahomes like play making ability on the move.  So Heinicke to me has plenty of assets cooking for him.   The fact that he didn't have to put his body on the line to win for me at least is really good sign. 

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-patrick-mahomes-accuracy-is-only-getting-better

As phenomenal as Mahomes has been over three seasons as an NFL starter, he actually entered the league with average accuracy — and it showed in his first year as starter. His athleticism and arm talent have always won out over this slight deficiency. But Mahomes appears to be rectifying his accuracy issues while maintaining elite efficiency and the rest of his special traits.

Using Expected Points Added (EPA) per pass is a good way to measure Mahomes' efficiency. The metric measures how much a pass changes a team’s chances of scoring. EPA accounts for game situation and is superior to looking at yards, as gaining 6 yards on third-and-5 is better than gaining 6 yards on third-and-15. Between 2018 and 2020, no one has even come close to the cumulative EPA that Mahomes has gained. 

1.png

This basically means that when Mahomes has had the ball in his hands, he has increased scoring opportunities better than anyone else in the league. The most impressive aspect of his performance is that it hasn’t been propped up by garbage time production like that of Mitchell Trubisky and Jameis Winston. Mahomes has only played in garbage time on 8% of his total snaps, but that small sample size is the only time when he’s been average in EPA compared to the rest of the league. 

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

The dude is 27-28.  Unless TH plays balls out and plays beyond all of our imaginations this year, I think it will be too risky for TH for go into next season knowing that a major injury will put him back on the backup career path.  For WFT, it will be too risky for them to go into next season without extending TH as you don’t want this to turn into Cousins situation again.  Cousin situation is TH plays ok or well but wants top 5-10 QB money with crazy guarantees.   

It would make sense for both sides to do some type of small extension that protects both interests.

Bruce Allen isn't doing the negotiating.  I doubt this ends up a Kirk or Trent situation where he blows opportunities and the kicker is they offend the client/agent doing so and basically get no good will at all accordingly.  This new regime isn't perfect but I doubt we will be seeing this FO ranked at the dead bottom of the league in terms of agents trusting their word, etc. 

• Like 3

I really hope Rivera gets on the defense's ass this week before Buffalo.  Heineke is playing amazing but at an unsustainable level.  He shouldn't be having to carry 4 first rounders who are underperforming every week.

He shouldn't need to be bailing out the defense every week to be viewed as a good player for us.  The rest of the team needs to step up.  Otherwise it's not fair to him and it will inevitably end in failure.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree on both points.  Especially since the D displayed some bravado before the season, comments including this is the best defense in the league, Sweat-Young want to set the NFL sack record, etc.  I am not in a panic about the defense but they need to show up.  If they think Herbert and Daniel Jones are a handful, wait to they face Rodgers (last weeks game notwithstanding), Mahomes, Brady, etc.  Heck maybe even Josh Allen.  Allen is obviously >>>> Daniel Jones. 

As for Heinicke, I rewatched some of the game.  My main pause about him before fully jumping on the band wagon aside from durability is ball placement not that its bad but its inconsistent.  I of late don't agree with Sheehan on some things but I do agree with him that Heinicke's accuracy is inconsistent and not pinpoint. That was clear as a bell in camp practices I watched and ditto the reporters who were at practice witnessing his throws.    With some of his throws sailing on Thursday, he was lucky not to be picked off more than he was.  Having said that, I love that he's a hardworker (or so is his rep) and perhaps that's a kink he conquers.  But the dude is definitely a gamer and makes big plays when the lights are brightest and I put a lot of stock in that.  One thing that struck me rewatching it is he was in the pocket a lot versus being on the move -- its a good sign that he can make plays from the pocket like that because I am confident he can do it on the move.  

I noticed he was given a bad QBR rating for that game.  35.8.  That's nuts.   This game coming up against Buffalo can add big time to the legend so to speak.  I don't expect to win so Heinicke helping pull off a miracle win would be incredible, I'd buy a jersey if so like that dude below.  Unexpected wins don't come often to us.   The defense needs to show up for that one, Heinicke isn't going to do it on his own.  In both of his starts here, Heinicke has been given very little help from this defense who was shredded against Tampa as well. 

The high throws worried me early but he really seemed to settle down in the 2nd half even throwing some nice balls down and away from defenders. So I put the high throws on adrenaline but it's still something worth watching. If he starts every game that way he will get picked, especially if defenses see it as a tendency. I really think that's something that anytone jumping all on board are not taking into consideration, how defenses learn to defend him. 

NFL defenses are way more complex and smarter than college defenses. These DCs will find his weaknesses and take away what he likes to do and make him beat them with something else. I am not saying he can't do that but that's another reason you need to see more than a handful of games from him. 

As for th QBR I have no idea how they got that ridiculous number. And they gave Daniel Jones a 71 or 72, something like that. There is no way Jones outplayed Taylor that much if at all. I saw it more like they were even but with anything Traylor making some clutch plays - something QBR is supposed to count - that Jones did not make. If I  remember their measurement system is supposed to take game situation into account making a 10 yd completion in the 4th Q more valuable than the same completion in the 1st, things like that. I get Taylor threw a pick late, but Jones did nothing with that possession and when Taylor got the ball back he drove for the game winning FG. Even if the first miss counts he got the team in position when it counted. 

I also agree one of things he has is the big moments are not too big for him. That was the problem Kirk C. showed repeatedly that more times than not he could not step up when the team really needed him to make a play. I am loathe to make too many comparisons to previous QBs as many times it's not fair. But in this case I think it's not only fair it's an important difference. Taylor seems to have an instinct on making those plays. He will not do it every game and is bound to come up short from time to time. But he does not seem overwhelmed by the moment. 

Not to get off track but it's relevant to taylor and his progression - I am looking forward to the game against Buffalo. That will be a huge test for him and the team as a whole. I don't see us winning that game but I do hope to be competitive. The D needs to get their collective heads out of their asses and that includes JDR. As a good a games as he called last year his defense play calling this year has been atrocious. And I have no idea what they think they are doing in the secondary. 

For Taylor and the Offense, that Buf Dline is no joke and their entire D is more than solid. It will be a big challenge. Scott is going to have to be more patient with the run game or this could get out of hand quickly. It may anyway if the D doesn't show up. Josh Allen could drop 50 on us easily. If th D shows up however and gets Allen uncomfortable and we can run the ball some to set up some big plays by Taylor and the receivers, it could be a competitive game. Hopefully this is the next page in the legacy!  🙂  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, sjinhan said:

The dude is 27-28.  Unless TH plays balls out and plays beyond all of our imaginations this year, I think it will be too risky for TH for go into next season knowing that a major injury will put him back on the backup career path.  For WFT, it will be too risky for them to go into next season without extending TH as you don’t want this to turn into Cousins situation again.  Cousin situation is TH plays ok or well but wants top 5-10 QB money with crazy guarantees.   

It would make sense for both sides to do some type of small extension that protects both interests.

I never suggested that. I made it clear the deal needs to be done offseason. He cannot go into next year without a new contract. But I do not see an extension being the answer. If he plays well at all - not even beyond all imagination - you need to pay him like a starter, a low end starter but a starter. Yes, it would be a risk for taylor not to sign something next offseason but if the team lowballs him with some small extension insisting on paying him less than $4M next year, it';s worth the risk. If he gets through the year - and this all assumes he finished 2021 healthy - then it's reasonable to assume he put the injuries behind him the potential payday for him after the 2022 season on the open market is off the charts. 

I agree a contract needs to be done in the next offseason if you are doing one, not before or after, but not an extension. If he plays well pay him. If doesn't then no need to do anything. 

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

The high throws worried me early but he really seemed to settle down in the 2nd half even throwing some nice balls down and away from defenders. So I put the high throws on adrenaline but it's still something worth watching. If he starts every game that way he will get picked, especially if defenses see it as a tendency. I really think that's something that anytone jumping all on board are not taking into consideration, how defenses learn to defend him. 

Agree.  But I also saw him do that in camp at times.  I recall WFT reporters saying when Brady played at camp back if I recall in 2014 or so? That his balls wouldn't even touch the ground, he was that accurate.  In the number of practices I watched Fitz and Henicke both weren't near that.  They were mostly good but they'd have some wild streaks just out of nowhere.

I made the comment at the time as more of a focus on Fitz saying I can see how the Fitztragic moments arise from time to time.  You can see that play out in practice. 

4 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

NFL defenses are way more complex and smarter than college defenses. These DCs will find his weaknesses and take away what he likes to do and make him beat them with something else. I am not saying he can't do that but that's another reason you need to see more than a handful of games from him. 

Cooley hinted at that last week.  Logan Paulsen flat out said it.   He wants to see half a season before annoiting him because as he goes it takes time for coordinators to zero in how to exploit a QB's weakness.    To that point though I think it was good for Heinicke to show he can win a game from the pocket. 

10 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

As for th QBR I have no idea how they got that ridiculous number. And they gave Daniel Jones a 71 or 72, something like that. There is no way Jones outplayed Taylor that much if at all. I saw it more like they were even but with anything Traylor making some clutch plays - something QBR is supposed to count - that Jones did not make. If I  remember their measurement system is supposed to take game situation into account making a 10 yd completion in the 4th Q more valuable than the same completion in the 1st, things like that. I get Taylor threw a pick late, but Jones did nothing with that possession and when Taylor got the ball back he drove for the game winning FG. Even if the first miss counts he got the team in position when it counted. 

Agree.  I wouldn't even have known if I didn't see Skip and Shannon talk about it with Skip saying Jones outplayed Heinicke.  I think that's ridiculous.  But i will give D. Jones that he had a good game.  When does he not against this team?

11 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not to get off track but it's relevant to taylor and his progression - I am looking forward to the game against Buffalo. That will be a huge test for him and the team as a whole. I don't see us winning that game but I do hope to be competitive. The D needs to get their collective heads out of their asses and that includes JDR. As a good a games as he called last year his defense play calling this year has been atrocious. And I have no idea what they think they are doing in the secondary. 

Going back to Cooley, he mentioned last week that he noticed the defense was at their best blitzing last year.  It seemed like when they brought some extra heat it worked on Thursday.   Granted you can't blitz all the time but it looks like this defense is at its best when its aggressive.  The secondary also has been sneaky bad.  A lof of angst on the LBs and D line I noticed from some, me included, but the CBs haven't been hot.

14 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

For Taylor and the Offense, that Buf Dline is no joke and their entire D is more than solid. It will be a big challenge. Scott is going to have to be more patient with the run game or this could get out of hand quickly. It may anyway if the D doesn't show up. Josh Allen could drop 50 on us easily. If th D shows up however and gets Allen uncomfortable and we can run the ball some to set up some big plays by Taylor and the receivers, it could be a competitive game. Hopefully this is the next page in the legacy!  🙂  

Agree.  It should be fun to watch.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I didn't watch Pittsburgh's upset win over Buffalo.  but I am watching today's game versus Miami -- Buffalo likely wins this one but man do they look mortal.  Maybe they steam roll Miami in the 2nd half but for now this team looks very beatable.  Before the season I saw that game as a sure loss.  Now I see it as doable.

The defense has to wake up though.  Miami has a good defense and this far they are playing well.  If our defense is genuinely a sieve than the game will likely go south.  IMO we have more talent on defense like Miami.    If Buffalo plays like they are thus far today and our defense wakes up its doable IMO. 

• Like 2

Watching that breakdown above (which was great to see), a few things stood out.

Turner gave his tackles a bit more help than I realized.  Humphrey and Thomas chipping, back and TE doubling an end, etc.  Glad Turner is seeing the need.

There were a few times Heinicke was either a tick late, picked the wrong throw (mainly the pick to Terry), or misread the defender’s leverage.  All things that can (at least potentially) be cleaned up with reps.  Of course, no qb is perfect - everyone misses things from time to time - so I’m not knocking him, just pointing out he’s got room to improve, which is exciting considering what he’s already showing.

Turner isn’t rolling him out or moving the pocket.  I think we probably all have noticed this in real time, but it suggests to me that he wants and trusts Taylor to be able to read the whole field instead of reducing his window to a half field.  With that said, I think it’s a wrinkle that Turner should at least sprinkle in.  Get him on the move to stress defenses because of his ability to run, and take the pressure off both tackles having to hold up.

• Like 2