Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

12 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

The innovation diffusion chart. But I think it’s pretty applicable for wider use.

Just don’t be a laggard. 😜

image.jpeg

I might be a little later to the party than usual. It's been a rough 20 years.

2000 Brad Johnson (11) / Jeff George (5)
2001 Tony Banks (14) / Jeff George (2)
2002 Shane Matthews (7) / Patrick Ramsey (5) / Danny Wuerffel (4)
2003 Patrick Ramsey (11) / Tim Hasselbeck (5)
2004 Mark Brunell (9) / Patrick Ramsey (7)
2005 Mark Brunell (15) / Patrick Ramsey (1)
2006 Mark Brunell (9) / Jason Campbell (7)
2007 Jason Campbell (13) / Todd Collins (3)
2008 Jason Campbell (16)
2009 Jason Campbell (16)
2010 Donovan McNabb (13) / Rex Grossman (3)
2011 Rex Grossman (13) / John Beck (3)
2012 Robert Griffin III (15) / Kirk Cousins (1)
2013 Robert Griffin III (13) / Kirk Cousins (3)
2014 Robert Griffin III (7) / Kirk Cousins (5) / Colt McCoy (4)
2015 Kirk Cousins (16)
2016 Kirk Cousins (16)
2017 Kirk Cousins (16)
2018 Alex Smith (10) / Josh Johnson (3) / Colt McCoy (2) / Mark Sanchez (1)
2019 Case Keenum (8) / Dwayne Haskins (7) / Colt McCoy (1)
2020 Alex Smith (6) / Dwayne Haskins (6) / Kyle Allen (4)
2021 Ryan Fitzpatrick (1) / Taylor Heinicke (1)

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I don't know, can you? It makes no sense to argue against something so heavily when it cannot be proven or disproven. 

And yet here you are.

But to answer your question, of course I can. I can sit and scream for TH without thinking he's a franchise QB (yet, because reasons), just like I can scream for Kam Curl even though he's is not a Pro bowl (yet? no?)safety. I can even be happy when Hopkins makes a game winning FG, even though he missed the first one and got a reprieve with a bad/lucky penalty by the Gnats, unlike some people around here. Heck, I can even cheer for Ricky Seals-Jones............even though he's pretty low on the depth chart and I don't think he's the 2nd coming of Antonio Gates. Or maybe I should just get on that right now?

But, I had to ask, because it seems like a few people were insinuating I could not, because I was not full on the bandwagon yet. Like I needed a permission slip or something.

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Hyperbole much?

Hyperbole aside, none of that constitutes as anyone hoping he crashes and burns.

I just can’t wrap my head around how concerns about aspects of his game equates to hoping he crashes and burns.  As if it’s not entirely possible to believe one thing but hope for another.  

Welcome to 2021. Kinda sucks, right? 

47 minutes ago, zskins said:

1.5 game actually. It is a week to week league. If you can't figure out a QB in a week then you are done. I will give you benefit of the doubt then. Let's see how the Bills do against TH. 

Meet JDR. Especially vs Daniel Jones. 

33 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

Usually you're not this much of a doorknob, bad day?

LMAO. Completely separate from the two of you going back and forth I need to keep my eyes open for the right time to call someone a doorknob. I’m dying. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, moondog said:

LMAO. Completely separate from the two of you going back and forth I need to keep my eyes open for the right time to call someone a doorknob. I’m dying. 

To be fair, He kinda blindsided me out of nowhere. Really hostile, same with MrTim. And Peregrine usually is not like that at all.

But year, I kinda pulled that one out of the archives. Didn't want a "language infraction" which it was gonna be the case if I really said what was on my mind. So went with something PG. ;)

I do hope he's doing ok. Really not like him to be like that.

44 minutes ago, Morneblade said:

I might be a little later to the party than usual. It's been a rough 20 years.

2000 Brad Johnson (11) / Jeff George (5)
2001 Tony Banks (14) / Jeff George (2)
2002 Shane Matthews (7) / Patrick Ramsey (5) / Danny Wuerffel (4)
2003 Patrick Ramsey (11) / Tim Hasselbeck (5)
2004 Mark Brunell (9) / Patrick Ramsey (7)
2005 Mark Brunell (15) / Patrick Ramsey (1)
2006 Mark Brunell (9) / Jason Campbell (7)
2007 Jason Campbell (13) / Todd Collins (3)
2008 Jason Campbell (16)
2009 Jason Campbell (16)
2010 Donovan McNabb (13) / Rex Grossman (3)
2011 Rex Grossman (13) / John Beck (3)
2012 Robert Griffin III (15) / Kirk Cousins (1)
2013 Robert Griffin III (13) / Kirk Cousins (3)
2014 Robert Griffin III (7) / Kirk Cousins (5) / Colt McCoy (4)
2015 Kirk Cousins (16)
2016 Kirk Cousins (16)
2017 Kirk Cousins (16)
2018 Alex Smith (10) / Josh Johnson (3) / Colt McCoy (2) / Mark Sanchez (1)
2019 Case Keenum (8) / Dwayne Haskins (7) / Colt McCoy (1)
2020 Alex Smith (6) / Dwayne Haskins (6) / Kyle Allen (4)
2021 Ryan Fitzpatrick (1) / Taylor Heinicke (1)

And yet here you are.

But to answer your question, of course I can. I can sit and scream for TH without thinking he's a franchise QB (yet, because reasons), just like I can scream for Kam Curl even though he's is not a Pro bowl (yet? no?)safety. I can even be happy when Hopkins makes a game winning FG, even though he missed the first one and got a reprieve with a bad/lucky penalty by the Gnats, unlike some people around here. Heck, I can even cheer for Ricky Seals-Jones............even though he's pretty low on the depth chart and I don't think he's the 2nd coming of Antonio Gates. Or maybe I should just get on that right now?

But, I had to ask, because it seems like a few people were insinuating I could not, because I was not full on the bandwagon yet. Like I needed a permission slip or something.

Nobody cares if you are on the bandwagon or not. You can join the Church of Heinicke later, it is okay to be a non believer. I believe you responded to me originally so clearly you have some sort of an issue with my optimism. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda

4 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

Not seeing the delay of game penalties like we saw with previous QB's.

I noticed that too…he’s definitely on point… it’s the little things that makes anyone successful in anything(s)…always has been…

4 hours ago, Die Hard said:

He had the offence playing with pace. Some drives were obviously scripted for hurry up…. But Taylor also sped up the huddle when the offence had momentum and he noticed the defence lagging/tired. He exploited that.

Audibled too…who knew a qb could audible??!…qb sneak…outrageous…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, zskins said:

I think 20 wins in a row should do it.

Well the first one is in the record books…

4 hours ago, ThomasRoane said:

Kdawg and I saw problems right away.  Go check my comments if you want.  Haskin's footwork was awful.  He didn't have a lot of air yards at OSU.  I mean, he basically threw screens mostly.  In practice there were reports from multiple sources (including players) that DH wasn't getting in the playbook.  

He was an Ohio st qb too…

• Like 2

2 hours ago, chaaarmndr said:

Man, I would hate to work alongside you. Such a downer.  

Best wishes for a speedy recovery in whatever is irking you. 

Wishing you the best, Godspeed,  

Hopefully Washington is the wind beneath your Wings

Hahahahaha, Im a downer as the one saying "Why not be happy instead of down about things?"

Nice red herring bro 😉

2 hours ago, Morneblade said:

Well, when you sit there and completely misrepresent what I said, ( IE: LIE) sure, I can say why you would say that. But, Mahomes had 10 TD's and 0 int's in his first 2 games. Dan Marino came out on fire.

But getting back to my actual point, not the straw-man you concocted. Bad QB's have played well before in the NFL. Bad QB's however can't do it consistently. Which is why they are bad, or do you not understand that concept?

And if tape didn't help defenses game plan a QB, they would not bother with it. Or is getting tape just a complete waste of time?

Usually you're not this much of a doorknob, bad day?

I mean, I quoted you lol.  Pretty hard to misrepresent.

You said "literally ANY QB" in the NFL or on a practice squad.  Thats not something anyone who has ever watched the NFL would be wise to say.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Die Hard said:

I didn’t watch any tape. The first I saw of him was his first appearance against the Vikes. I turned the TV off after the first 2 drives. That was the worst QB play I had ever seen. There’s no way anybody with any aptitude could play that poorly. I’ve seen journeymen QBs freshly signed off the street earlier in the week show more.

3f084167b2066df75ca4937ec53025f6a9d3a29c

Edited by Stefanskins
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Llevron said:

Agree. I still believe in D coordinators having enough film on a guy to take away what he likes to do and force him to do things he doesn’t. I don’t think they have that kinda tape in Hein yet. So I’m very very curious to see what happens when they do. 

Yes, but d coordinators have 20 years of tape on Brady…12 years on Rodgers…8 years on Russel…17 on Big Ben…3 or 4 on mahomes…had plenty of years on brees..he’ll 10 plus on Alex smith and he still won…I know what you are saying but sometimes all the film in the world won’t help…let’s hope he’s like that..he’s definitely smart/savvy enough to keep them guessing…and he actually pump fakes…which I believe is a lost art…hell he’s pretty good at play action too…HTTR!!!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, Stefanskins said:

Yes, but d coordinators have 20 years of tape on Brady…12 years on Rodgers…8 years on Russel…17 on Big Ben…3 or 4 on mahomes…had plenty of years on brees..he’ll 10 plus on Alex smith and he still won…I know what you are saying but sometimes all the film in the world won’t help…let’s hope he’s like that..he’s definitely smart/savvy enough to keep them guessing…and he actually pump fakes…which I believe is a lost art…hell he’s pretty good at play action too…HTTR!!!!

Well yea what you are describing is an unstoppable QB and we won’t have anything to discuss if that’s the case lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stefanskins said:

14 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Well yea what you are describing is an unstoppable QB and we won’t have anything to discuss if that’s the case lol

The thing about "having film" on a QB is, the QB's team also has film on the QB and--if they're worth their salaries--will find ways ot hiding the tells and game planning to confuse the defense to hide the QB's weaknesses. Not to mention they'll have film on the opposing defense, who their best player is, how to exploit his tells and weaknesses to gain yards, etc, etc, yadda yadda yadda...maybe they notice a really good DLineman tires easily if you force him to run east and west on almost all plays early in the game, or he only has a few moves or lowers his head a lot on 3rd and long...whatever.

Every team has film on every other team and player, and definitely have it on their own players, and go over what that film with the players and shows the areas that need to either be corrected or accounted for during the game. Unless a team's coaches aren't too detail oriented, having film on a player doesn't usually amount to much over a season. For individual games, yeah, it definitely can.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• LetThePointsSoar changed the title to Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread
10 hours ago, Morneblade said:

No one is denying that. In fact, almost everyone thinks he has been aces.

But here is the thing.

Literally ANY QB that is on a team, or practice squad in the NFL could have a couple games in which they look real good. Steven Montez could put 2 games together than look like the 2nd coming of Tom Brady. But he will never be able to carry that kind of production over a significant period of time. That is, quite literally what separates the bad, from the good, from the great in the NFL. Tom Brady plays lights out almost all the time, but he'll have a off day here and there. Tyrod Taylor can have average days, some bad days, and a couple of great days. Kinda of a mixed bag, but usually nothing special. Dwayne Haskins can have a great day, and a bunch of really bad ones. Consistency of high level play separates the great from the good. If TH can even be just a "good" QB, and keep the bad days to a minimum, that would be great. But the only way to really see this, is to have a sample size that is more than a couple games.

Hold on, hold on, hold on.  Steven Montez could never put together a two game stretch where he looks like the second coming of Tom Brady.  Let’s clear this up What The Hell Just Happened Reaction GIF

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Morneblade said:

No one is saying that. Does he have a injury history? Yes. Do people worry about it? Sure. Mostly because he played like his NFL life was on the line (and it was) against the Bucs and was reckless. And got hurt. He's now under contract and not playing like that. The question is simply, can he keep playing at this level consistently, or is it just a flash in the pan and he ends up looking more like a guy that could not stick to a practice squad.

It's all good. Honestly, we've had so many bandwagons to jump on only to have blow up in our faces, we as a fan base are pretty leary at this point.

Here is the thing. We really want to be on the bandwagon. I went and bought a TH hoodie last night for petes sake. I love everything about him. And honestly I think the fan base, as a whole feels exactly the same way. They desperately WANT to believe

But when you get your heart broken 50 times, and had that bandwagon blow up on you while you in it, it's hard to dive in head first the first time you see it. And unless you have been though it, you wouldn't understand.

So, most of us just need more time. Time to see if he can play at a consistent level that is high enough to at the very least win us some game, and keep us in most of them. We have a very tough schedule coming up. No one thinks he's going to run the table on the next 5 teams. But if we win a couple, and offensively put point on the board and move the ball in all of them, even if we loose, that will go a long way. The Chargers game is a good example. He came in and the offense looked much better and if our D had gotten off the field on 3rd down a few more times, he gives us a chance. He keeps playing like that, the bandwagon is going to get crowded quick. ;)

Good summary for me.  Like some here, I am cursed with a good memory going way back on this board.   We've had plenty of short love affairs with QBs who flashed and then puttered out.  At the time it felt different.  This dude isn't like the other dude, this time its different, forget the past.  On and on. 😧

Same around the league with a nice start but it petered out as to scrappy QBs who might not be uber talented but play with moxie.  See Minshew.  Heck Colt McCoy's rookie season in Cleveland.  Or dudes that start off hot and then falter, Mark Sanchez.  Or dudes that find a nice streak for a spell like Nick Foles, Kyle Orton and a slew of others including a bunch of QBs who played here.

I think Logan Paulsen said it well on a show last night, for any QB he wants to see at least a half a season.  You need to give defenses time to learn how to game plan against specific QBs implying to see the chess match that ensues once that happens and to see consistent play.

I like Heinicke.  I've liked what I've seen.  But I've been a sucker for our young QBs.  I've been more of a cynic of the veterans.  But as for the younger dudes, I've wanted to believe and pretty much fallen for all of them for at least a spell -- maybe with Haskins being an exception since I didn't like him before the draft but even for him I tried to buy in a little when he had that good game and a quarter his rookie season.  lol, I keep talking about karma and superstition, I'll know Heinicke is doomed if I post he's the guy prematurely.  So I am holding off. :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

"He's very calm and he's direct as well," wide receiver Terry McLaurin said. "Nobody is going to get confused when they go into the huddle with Taylor, from the protection to the snap counts to what receivers' routes are. He does a really good job of speaking loud and clear and putting us in a great situation to be successful."

As they would leave the huddle, Heinicke would tell the receivers, "Be ready; be available."

Heinicke was a backup with the St. Louis BattleHawks of the XFL in 2020, but his coach, Jonathan Hayes, told ESPN last winter that Heinicke excelled running two-minute drills in practice. He also would quiz other players on their assignments, trying to get their preparation to match his.

"I coached quarterbacks 32 years; I've only had one five-read guy, and that was Taylor," former Old Dominion coach Bobby Wilder told ESPN in December. "He could go one through five in 2.6 seconds because of his ability to do one or two pre-snap reads and then get into the play."

Heinicke was part of 12 comeback wins at Old Dominion, where he ran a hurry-up spread offense.

"That's essentially what a two-minute is and I did that for four years, so I'm very comfortable with it," Heinicke said. "Defense is on their heels; they get kind of tired. They start playing kind of base defenses and we've been practicing for that every day, so again, for it to come to fruition and for us to accomplish that goal in a game was good for us."

Washington coach Ron Rivera, who cut Heinicke before the 2019 season, said Heinicke's poise has improved since he coached him in Carolina.

"I really like how he has matured and grown into the position," Rivera said. "There is a lot of confidence and you see the swagger."

Rivera liked how at the end of the first half, Heinicke audibled to a run based on New York's front and McKissic scored on a 2-yard run. On the go-ahead touchdown pass to Ricky Seals-Jones, Heinicke first looked at tight end Logan Thomas down the right seam, then back to the left for McLaurin on a post route.

He had a gap he could have run through but instead remained calm. He noticed the 6-foot-5 Seals-Jones running to the right corner of the end zone. Heinicke could see he had a height advantage over 5-11 cornerback Adoree' Jackson, so he gave Seals-Jones a chance.

It's just another reason for his teammates to be sold on him.

"He's got that 'umph,'" McKissic said. "He's a lovable guy. We know he could do everything. He can pass, he can sit in the pocket, he also can run. He just wants to win. He loves the game."

https://www.espn.com/blog/washington/post/_/id/41831/taylor-heinickes-composure-reminds-washington-teammate-of-russell-wilson

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good summary for me.  Like some here, I am cursed with a good memory going way back on this board.   We've had plenty of short love affairs with QBs who flashed and then puttered out.  At the time it felt different.  This dude isn't like the other dude, this time its different, forget the past.  On and on. 😧

Same around the league with a nice start but it petered out as to scrappy QBs who might not be uber talented but play with moxie.  See Minshew.  Heck Colt McCoy's rookie season in Cleveland.  Or dudes that start off hot and then falter, Mark Sanchez.  Or dudes that find a nice streak for a spell like Nick Foles, Kyle Orton and a slew of others including a bunch of QBs who played here.

I think Logan Paulsen said it well on a show last night, for any QB he wants to see at least a half a season.  You need to give defenses time to learn how to game plan against specific QBs implying to see the chess match that ensues once that happens and to see consistent play.

I like Heinicke.  I've liked what I've seen.  But I've been a sucker for our young QBs.  I've been more of a cynic of the veterans.  But as for the younger dudes, I've wanted to believe and pretty much fallen for all of them for at least a spell -- maybe with Haskins being an exception since I didn't like him before the draft but even for him I tried to buy in a little when he had that good game and a quarter his rookie season.  lol, I keep talking about karma and superstition, I'll know Heinicke is doomed if I post he's the guy prematurely.  So I am holding off. :ols:

You loved Haskins. Loved him. He was so worthless the amount of praise you gave was tantamount to obsessed love. I am among the first to say a QB sucks and is worthless. Taylor is not that. I love the kid. 

imv, there's too many posts in here doing that tired old schtick of mischaracterizing people's positions

it's just vapid...for me, there will be no  'going back' to anything remotely close to an rg3 type environment where a large slice of the qb-topic posts suggest personal life issues and 'cults' or degenerates into braindead 'haters' v 'worshippers' posts as standard fare :) 

so far i'm not seeing anyone saying they're not happy for heinie, or not wanting to see him do well, or not enjoying a win, or wouldn't love to see him be the answer

nor is it anything other than reasonable to keep a rational and critical eye on the matter, for those inclined to do so, since th's status is the kind of thing that obviously can be 'settled' already for some, and yet not for other knowledgeable observers, and both groups are still fans...jeebus :) 

no need to demean or minimize any 'member' of either group with some dismissive label

there's good football reasons to hope and to be excited, and good football reasons to not take the firm position that our savior has arrived, yet

you can cheer for the guy to be all that he can be, and see the positives to date, and 100% enjoy the wins in their fullest, and still prefer to see more---maybe quite a bit more :)--- then what we have as a sample (cool as it is)

and we're at such an early stage of his career as a starter for more than a few here to be definitely stating we have our franchise qb (esp. since he hasn't been used even in the back-up roll over the years that much)

and if he is the one, then it's a double super bonus for us cuz he'd be 'coming cheap' and  we wouldn't have to tie up capital of any kind in a trade or use our top draft pick :) 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

You loved Haskins. Loved him. He was so worthless the amount of praise you gave was tantamount to obsessed love. I am among the first to say a QB sucks and is worthless. Taylor is not that. I love the kid. 

BS.   You think everyone loves Haskins because they weren't as wild and mean spirited as your posts were.  I ripped Haskins way before you did before we even took him.   So if we are doing the immature school yard rants that you seem to enjoy -- I can argue you copied me and others who questioned Haskins way before you did.  You are a Johnny Come Lately on the subject. 

But yeah if the idea is to do a mean spirited over the top rant about Haskins, you were the king of that and everyone by comparison I gather is pro Haskins in that context. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

I’ll be honest, I get a bit nervous every time Heinicke drops back.  That’s not really about him though, it’s more about my WFT angst and the pass blocking issue on the line.  After two games, I now also worry that he’s going to feel like he has to carry the team (and it looks like he does given how the D is playing) and therefore hold the ball a bit longer, force some throws (taking hits), etc.  Turner also doesn’t seem like he’s going to lean heavily on the run game to take pressure off Taylor, and isn’t going to give much blocking help to the tackles either.

On to better news.  Love some of the little things Taylor does/doesn’t do.  Things you often see inexperienced qbs do (or not do):

Dropping eyes when scrambling

Staring down receivers

Not sensing pressure

Letting pressure get to them in big moments

Compounding mistakes (not moving on)

Bailing out of the pocket too early

Not anticipating 

Not giving receivers a chance (afraid to throw into tight, single coverage)

On the flip side, Heinicke is composed, goes through reads, can bail out poor protection with his legs, can audible, seems to have solid game awareness and so on.  Needless to say, I’m a believer.  Sample size is way too small for me to anoint him our franchise qb, but he’s trending that direction for sure.

He’s going to make some mistakes, but really, we need the D we thought we had to show up and allow the team/Heinicke to overcome those mistakes.  It can’t be all on him to carry the team.  That’s not to say he can’t, but no qbs can do that consistently, especially against more complete teams.

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cracks me up watching dweebs fight for forum cred over players they liked or didn’t like and how they fared.  

And not just in a poking fun way either, but dudes are really serious.  Like they should be employed by the team.  🤣  Don’t quit your day jobs.

Yep and no nuance is apparently allowed.  :ols:

You can think a dude doesn't have it and yet give him so rope to see if he does and ackowledge ups and downs, and try to muster some optimism during the ups -- its not all love or hate especially when it comes to our own players for me.   I root for every player whether I liked the pick or I didn't.  I recall I used to say Orkapo didn't play well in the clutch but that doesn't mean I root for him to fail in the clutch or shouldn't give him a nod when he did. 

I don't give a rats behind that i posted a long detailed post about why I didn't think Haskins is the guy before the draft.  Ditto it was me and volsmet who openly rooted for Haskins to be taken before our pick. Looks like right now I was right about Haskins.  but so what?  I was wrong about RG3 and some others.   But when that dude continually says I loved Haskins its so beyond ridiculous if you know my posting history on the subject, which I know you do, that's a tough for me not to respond.   But I should ignore because plenty know my take on Haskins since I've probably argued that one more than anyone on the board or close enough.

It's bad enough that I made some people who I generally get along with and respect perhaps dislike me some for not being a Haskins guy for my zillion posts on it let alone have some dude say that never happened. :ols:

But yeah the whole prediction stuff is silly.  It looks like I got Haskins right.  I've got other good ones too like Terry, Gibson and more.  But also missed big on RG3, Doctson and others.  We all do.  GMs who are professionals, as Parcells liked to say, the best ones hit 50% on their calls.  So if some dude thinks he's the be all and end all of predictions and just nails it all the time they should stop wasting their time on a fan board and join an NFL team -- they can make a ton of money if they think they are Rain Main quality GM genuises.   They'd be fools to be wasting their wisdom on us if that's the case. :ols:

• Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

I hope as the season goes on we see more willingness from Scott Turner to work Heinicke's mobility into the offense.  Not so much him going full-on read option stuff or anything, but bootlegs, moving the pocket, allowing him to use his legs to create time and space.  He's largely been a pocket passer so far in 2021 which is okay, but once some of the better pass rushes start showing up on the schedule I worry about him being buried back there.

• Like 3