Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I'm not singling you out for being wrong. Don't take it that way. It's not about that.

It's a principle thing. Because it's like the standards and expectations for each QB to prove himself,  keep changing and conflicting.

Its all good, Noticed that, too, but do you blame us as fans?  Whens the last time our franchise got this right?  Lost count how many times I've been right or wrong since I've been here, a lot of it because of hope, I know better now.

As has been noted, we are so desperate for good QB play that we lose context on how other franchise go through this process. Its an inexact science that i cant say we all have a lot of good experience with when looking at our how our franchise does it, we gotta look at other teams that get this right and mess this up all the time, too.

I'm not sure I'm ready to invest years in developing Taylor yet, thats what I feel like I'm being asked, right or wrong.

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Dunno. If Fitz was healthy today I would want to see what Taylor could do anyway. I know Fitz. I want to see what Taylor can do honestly. The players are with it too! 

Players were with Fitz in August, next man up.  I was nervous about the preseason play, but Rivera mus of saw something to name Fitz the starter over Taylor.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

The throw on that wheel route to jd was pure throwing art.  One of the most difficult throws to make.  4 did it with enough touch for jd to take it in stride.

the td throw to sj is exactly what we w been clamoring for in our qbs for years!…just give our guys a chance to make plays.  4 does that with calculated precision.

Calling the audible and running the ball in for a td was a veteran move.  Getting us to line in enough time to make such calls is a thing of beauty.  He brings tempo and efficiency.  

I’m happy he’s our QB.  I wouldn’t have it any other way.  And if he continues to win, a lot of the 757 fan base will return.  

…it’s happening folks.

Not seeing the delay of game penalties like we saw with previous QB's.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Hey, he didn't hurt himself though !

So maybe we have to choose between

1) Elusive but Fragile Heinicke Light

or

2) Durable but Sluggish Heinicke Heavy

I don’t have to choose at all 🙂 I just made an observation. 

We also don’t have enough of a sample size this year to determine if he’s fragile or not…. and if his weight will have anything to do with it.

He was under duress against the Chargers….. but he had a lot time standing in the pocket last night. Some of the best pass pro I’ve seen from our offence in a very long time. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Maybe not.  But it means that your judgment on what an NFL QB looks like should not be taken seriously.  

Alex was done and I wasn't the only one that felt Haskins on talent alone could do better.  No one is undefeated on extremeskins, dont get carried away.

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

Not seeing the delay of game penalties like we saw with previous QB's.

He had the offence playing with pace. Some drives were obviously scripted for hurry up…. But Taylor also sped up the huddle when the offence had momentum and he noticed the defence lagging/tired. He exploited that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Players were with Fitz in August, next man up.  I was nervous about the preseason play, but Rivera mus of saw something to name Fitz the starter over Taylor.

He straight up said one of this problems with Taylor is that he doesn’t run practice like a vert starting QB that had been there before. And Taylor straight up said he learned a lot watching Fitz so I think that’s a big part of it. 

You ain’t wrong though. You would have to be crazy to go into this season with Taylor and whoever as his backup. You want someone who you KNOW won’t drive this car off the road. But at this point you gotta play the hot hand. And damn it’s hot. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Its all good, Noticed that, too, but do you blame us as fans?  Whens the last time our franchise got this right?  Lost count how many times I've been right or wrong since I've been here, a lot of it because of hope, I know better now.

As has been noted, we are so desperate for good QB play that we lose context on how other franchise go through this process. Its an inexact science that i cant say we all have a lot of good experience with when looking at our how our franchise does it, we gotta look at other teams that get this right and mess this up all the time, too.

I'm not sure I'm ready to invest years in developing Taylor yet, thats what I feel like I'm being asked, right or wrong.

Yea, I think I get it. I think a lot of fans are apprehensive based on the past.

It's almost like getting your heart broken in relationships many times in the past, so you have trust issues with the next one.

Not sure if this all describes you, but a lot of fans are just strapped with the fear of being disappointed again.

But I try to be more level-headed, and neither extreme. It's an old cliche, but it works in this situation - hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

• Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

@Llevron this is the type of circular logic I find maddening FYI.

It's Bayes' Theorem / conditional probability. Yes if you picked a random UDFA QB out of a hat, the chances he'd be a Romo or Garcia is miniscule. But if you're looking at a guy who is performing at a high level in live fire NFL games in ways that are intrinsically sustainable (e.g. going thru reads etc. vs. pure RPO), then the probability is no longer miniscule. In fact, the draft caliber becomes irrelevant.

Taylor should be judged purely on his ability to perform as a starting quarterback in the NFL. 

So tell me this: in this moment, for this season, would you rather have Heinicke as starting QB at his $1.6M cap hit or Kirk Cousins at his $31M cap hit (and for arguments sake need to cut/trade guys to get under the cap)? Because I take Heinicke.

Based on what we've seen thus far, if the draft were tomorrow and we had the #10 pick would you use it on a QB or a different position assuming BPA was a tie? Because I'd be looking at LB again, secondary, or OL in that order.

I don't think anyone is "crowning" Taylor. We're just excited and think we may have found our guy. But I don't think even ODU Aggie would say let's extend Heinicke at $25M/year, and that's what "crowning" him would actually look like. 

Yes, let's watch him perform consistently before making any forward-looking decisions. I think we're all in agreement there. But I refuse not to indulge my excitement in the meantime when the kid is balling like no QB has since 2012 RG3.

I find this humorous, not necessarily valid, but humorous. I was perusing the ODU thread and found this nugget. The timing is impeccable and gave me a good chuckle.

"For the next 10 days, at least, he is the franchise quarterback. Work on Taylor Heinicke’s long-term contract extension could begin over the long weekend."

This was from an article in the Post written by Barry Svruiga.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/09/17/taylor-heinicke-washington-football-giants/

20 minutes ago, Llevron said:

It probably has, but I argue it’s a good thing. I want him to be able to take that punishment and I don’t think he really NEEDS to run anyway at this point. He’s pretty surgical from the pocket when his line holds up. 

I hate to say it, but he’s as hard to tackle in the pocket as Romo was. 

It’s still a valuable loss. His feet were a legitimate weapon. It’s not necessary, but even if used sparingly, but the right times, could keep keep a lot of drives going.

I felt that way about Cousins too…. he was an under-rated runner. But he was reluctant.

Heiny has some moxie….. but he doesn’t have to play reckless either. More like Russel Wilson.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Ron went with the Vet.  It’s a Ron move.  Ron’s also the kind of coach to allow players to earn their way.  4 earned his way on the squad with last seasons performance.  4 earned the keys last night and I think Ron is sleeping well knowing he has his man.  Only way we see fitz is if 4 gets hurt.  It’s 4s team now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, I think I get it. I think a lot of fans are apprehensive based on the past.

It's almost like getting your heart broken in relationships many times in the past, so you have trust issues with the next one.

Not sure if this all describes you, but a lot of fans are just strapped with the fear of being disappointed again.

But I try to be more level-headed, and neither extreme. It's an old cliche, but it works in this situation - hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Ya, defiently guarded not scared.  I get it, this is where come to debate this stuff, we arent always going to convince each other who is right.  He needs to show me more, some people, they've seen enough.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

I don’t have to choose at all 🙂 I just made an observation. 

We also don’t have enough of a sample size this year to determine if he’s fragile or not…. and if his weight will have anything to do with it.

He was under duress against the Chargers….. but he had a lot time standing in the pocket last night. Some of the best pass pro I’ve seen from our offence in a very long time. 

Yeah, I think if the situation comes up where TH has to take off, he will, and with just as much quickness and speed as he ever had. If there is sideline available, he will take it when he needs  to. If not, he will slide when he needs to. Once again, that's just who he is.

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Alex was done and I wasn't the only one that felt Haskins on talent alone could do better.  No one is undefeated on extremeskins, dont get carried away.

Kdawg and I saw problems right away.  Go check my comments if you want.  Haskin's footwork was awful.  He didn't have a lot of air yards at OSU.  I mean, he basically threw screens mostly.  In practice there were reports from multiple sources (including players) that DH wasn't getting in the playbook.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Ron went with the Vet.  It’s a Ron move.  Ron’s also the kind of coach to allow players to earn their way.  4 earned his way on the squad with last seasons performance.  4 earned the keys last night and I think Ron is sleeping well knowing he has his man.  Only way we see fitz is if 4 gets hurt.  It’s 4s team now.

Because we are developing him now and willing to put up with the ups and downs of an inexperienced journeyman QB?

If we are in playoff contention, Taylor stays.  If we arent but close, Fitz has to go in.  If season ends early, have to ask why before going into next year with Taylor as the starter.

4 minutes ago, ODU AGGIE said:

Yeah, I think if the situation comes up where TH has to take off, he will, and with just as much quickness and speed as he ever had. If there is sideline available, he will take it when he needs  to. If not, he will slide when he needs to. Once again, that's just who he is.

I hope so. He just seemed reluctant to thus far. And I thought there were some opportunities last night.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What do you need to see, specifically ?

It should be obvious, as we've been saying it for some time. We literally have to see if this is who he really is, and not some flash in the pan. Is this his usual standard of play in the NFL, with an occasional bad game here and there. Or is this the best he will ever play, and then fall back to earth and make Colt McCoy look impressive 85% of the time.

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

What do you need to see, specifically ?

Playoff picture by the bye week.  That's reasonable if he's the guy. He has to win games, man, that giants game was very close to being an L.  I'm not buying this defense has been figured out and will lose us games yet.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

Because we are developing him now and willing to put up with the ups and downs of an inexperienced journeyman QB?

If we are in playoff contention, Taylor stays.  If we arent but close, Fitz has to go in.  If season ends early, have to ask why before going into next year with Taylor as the starter.

He starts because he has earned it.  Not in training camp or OTSs.  But in a playoff performance and a Thursday PrimeTime performance.  4 didn’t manage the game for us.  4 was a major reason why we won.  Develop?…he’s been around pro football mostly since 2016.  He’s sat…watched…just not with us.  Thing is…he did…under turner.  He’s ready.  He’s proving it.  What else do folks need to see?  

I see Johnny Football without the head case.  He’s not just hometown boy makes good.  He’s a baller that has his team rallied.  The stage isn’t too big for him.  He humbly embraces his role and is a straight pistol as a competitor.  

I ride with 4.  He’s my QB

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, ThomasRoane said:

Kdawg and I saw problems right away.  Go check my comments if you want.  Haskin's footwork was awful.  He didn't have a lot of air yards at OSU.  I mean, he basically threw screens mostly.  In practice there were reports from multiple sources (including players) that DH wasn't getting in the playbook.  

I didn’t watch any tape. The first I saw of him was his first appearance against the Vikes. I turned the TV off after the first 2 drives. That was the worst QB play I had ever seen. There’s no way anybody with any aptitude could play that poorly. I’ve seen journeymen QBs freshly signed off the street earlier in the week show more.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

He starts because he has earned it.  Not in training camp or OTSs.  But in a playoff performance and a Thursday PrimeTime performance.  4 didn’t manage the game for us.  4 was a major reason why we won.  Develop?…he’s been around pro football mostly since 2016.  He’s sat…watched…just not with us.  Thing is…he did…under turner.  He’s ready.  He’s proving it.  What else do folks need to see?  

I see Johnny Football without the head case.  He’s not just hometown boy makes good.  He’s a baller that has his team rallied.  The stage isn’t too big for him.  He humbly embraces his role and is a straight pistol as a competitor.  

I ride with 4.  He’s my QB

He threw a terrible pick late (great play by the DB) but he bounced right back and stepped up when it counted the most & that means a whole lot.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, -JB- said:

He threw a terrible pick late (great play by the DB) but he bounced right back and stepped up when it counted the most & that means a whole lot.

I thought that was more on Terry for the mis-step in his route running from what I understand. Sure the DB made a great play as the ball landed right in his arms. 

1 minute ago, -JB- said:

Why that play was called is beyond me lol, but I digress.  Yes, having the resilience to bounce back and move the team for a fg after that headscratching int can’t be undervalued.  He’s no youngin.  He plays with Vet savvy and a healthy moxie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1