Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

19 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Thats how you end up in a Kirk Cousins situation.  The team has all the leverage now. Worst case he’s a 10 mil a year backup with an escalating salary cap. Risk for return on investment in terms of what that position commands is completely worth it. 

Just because the team was stupid about the Kirk situation doesn't mean they need to overcompensate by being stupid in the opposite direction this time by panicking and giving a guy who's started 2 games a $10 million per year contract. I doubt there's much risk with seeing how Heinicke plays for the rest of the season (or at least until Fitz comes back, depending on how he's playing when Fitz is healthy again) and then making a decision at that point.

He's still under contract after this season so the only real risk would be Heinicke suddenly deciding that he wants to be the highest paid QB in the NFL or something and then refusing any offer lower than that.

And I think that's insanely unlikely. Not only does he not seem like that kind of guy, but it would be super risky. He'd not only be banking on some other NFL team being willing to give him a ginormous contract, but he'd be running the risk of potentially getting injured in the meantime, which would tank his value most likely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

It's rampant on here lately, and it wasn't always like that.  "I was the first on this board to like this player".  "I praised him before anyone on here.".  And on and on.  Nobody cares!  

4 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cracks me up watching dweebs fight for forum cred over players they liked or didn’t like and how they fared.  

And not just in a poking fun way either, but dudes are really serious.  Like they should be employed by the team.  🤣  Don’t quit your day jobs.

Isn't that kinda the POINT of a message board?!?

Lol, nothing like firing rocks when we're all camped out in the same glass house together.  But I digress... 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, method man said:

Good teams don't carry $10M/year backups. It would be foolish to have extension conversations before seeing him play for a full season. Let's see if he can get through it healthy in the first place

Then you have to pay a premium. The floor for Heinicke is a good backup. The ceiling is much higher. Betting on that now and locking in value is a genius move. Otherwise it’s exactly the Cousins situation. Demand far outweighs supply for adequate QB play in the NFL. To get value you have to take financial risks. However, the reward if you hit far outweighs the cost to retain a proven asset. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Then you have to pay a premium. The floor for Heinicke is a good backup. The ceiling is much higher. Betting on that now and locking in value is a genius move. Otherwise it’s exactly the Cousins situation. Demand far outweighs supply for adequate QB play in the NFL. To get value you have to take financial risks. However, the reward if you hit far outweighs the cost to retain a proven asset. 

I doubt any agent would let him lock in long term for good backup pay at the moment. the difference is worth the risk. Even if he only ever achieves backup status he doesnt lose much by waiting

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Everything is a genius move until it isn't.

If the coaches locked Heinicke up for $30 million for 3 years after only seeing him start 2 games and he ended up not being the guy they'd be stuck with a $10 million per year backup that they'd either just have to eat the cap for or try and see if they could offload him to someone else for a mid round draft pick.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dunfer said:

I doubt any agent would let him lock in long term for good backup pay at the moment. the difference is worth the risk. Even if he only ever achieves backup status he doesnt lose much by waiting

I have a feeling that if WFT offered him a $30 million 3 year deal, Heinicke would sign it within 1.549 nanoseconds. Not many guys get that sort of offer after literally starting 2 games. And he could lose plenty by waiting. If he ends up not playing as well down the stretch or gets injured his value would tank.

As it is, I don't think any of this matters. Zero chance we give him some big contract extension. We have him locked up for 2 years for cheap and Rivera isn't the kind to panic and throw money at a guy who he's not completely sold on. They'll see how it plays out and then make a decision on what they'll do at the QB position this coming offseason.

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I have a feeling that if WFT offered him a $30 million 3 year deal, Heinicke would sign it within 1.549 nanoseconds. Not many guys get that sort of offer after literally starting 2 games. And he could lose plenty by waiting. If he ends up not playing as well down the stretch or gets injured his value would tank.

As it is, I don't think any of this matters. Zero chance we give him some big contract extension. We have him locked up for 2 years for cheap and Rivera isn't the kind to panic and throw money at a guy who he's not completely sold on. They'll see how it plays out and then make a decision on what they'll do at the QB position this coming offseason.

yeah but a 3 year 30 year deal would just be an extra year over his current contract for an extra 22mil right? i was thinking you guys were talking longer like 4-5. yeah he could get hurt but i think hes shown already that hes definately a backup at the very least. Just a baller

1 hour ago, SoCalSkins said:

Thats how you end up in a Kirk Cousins situation.  The team has all the leverage now. Worst case he’s a 10 mil a year backup with an escalating salary cap. Risk for return on investment in terms of what that position commands is completely worth it. 

You want to sign him to a 3 year contract based on one game?  He played against the Giants. We have him signed for 2 years.

Let’s see if he can last a season without getting hurt. Let’s see how he fairs against the better teams. Can he beat Tampa this time? Then let’s see him do it again in 22.  If he does that, then he will have earned a long term contract.

Odds are strong he doesn’t last the season and we will see Kyle play and probably see Fitzy again if he’s healthy later in the year.

1 hour ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Isn't that kinda the POINT of a message board?!?

I provided a bit more color with "and not just poking fun" for a reason.  Cleary, it's fun to bust chops.  But some of these folks get super serious like they really get their jollies off being able to label a player a 'bust' before they are officially, or that a guy is going to be a player before that's the general consensus.  We all have our hits and misses when it comes to players, but there's a reason why we don't do this for a living.  Even the guys that do, get it wrong a lot.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

You want to sign him to a 3 year contract based on one game?  He played against the Giants. We have him signed for 2 years.

Let’s see if he can last a season without getting hurt. Let’s see how he fairs against the better teams. Can he beat Tampa this time? Then let’s see him do it again in 22.  If he does that, then he will have earned a long term contract.

Odds are strong he doesn’t last the season and we will see Kyle play and probably see Fitzy again if he’s healthy later in the year.

3 year extension. He’s signed for next year. That would lock him in for next 4 years. 100%. Bookmark this reply. We can revisit it in a year. 

Edited by SoCalSkins

6 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Cracks me up watching dweebs fight for forum cred over players they liked or didn’t like and how they fared.  

And not just in a poking fun way either, but dudes are really serious.  Like they should be employed by the team.  🤣  Don’t quit your day jobs.

You think I have over 30,000 posts on this hellsite so that people here WON’T remember that I really liked Jimmy Clausen despite all analytics showing he had the most punchable face of all time?? 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQfuc3b9Gvqx1zPFE2aMUD

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

31 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

3 year extension. He’s signed for next year. That would lock him in for next 4 years. 100%. Bookmark this reply. We can revisit it in a year. 

Until year 3 and he pulls a trent. Honestly after trent, long terms (especially cheap ones) mean **** to me. keep your elites happy (not saying taylor is one...just in general)

Edited by dunfer

5 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

Takeaway from this thread:

We sure have mired in a desolate QB hell hole wasteland for a VERY long time. 

-Captain Obvious

You know that was bound to happen. It is like a guy/gal getting out of prison and is hungry for some really hard and non-stop sex...lol

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, mistertim said:

:ols:

This thread has quickly gone from "Here are my thoughts on how Heinicke played on Thursday" to "NO WAY! I WAS THE FIRST HENICKE HOMER HERE!!" and "So should we give him only a 3 year $30 million extension right away or should it be more like 4-5 years?"

**If** Heinicke plays at the level he did on Thursday all season, regularly putting up 30+ points and staying healthy, I’d extend him in the offseason for sure. Salary cap league is all about cost certainty, and we got some high dollar extensions coming due the next few seasons.

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

**If** Heinicke plays at the level he did on Thursday all season, regularly putting up 30+ points and staying healthy, I’d extend him in the offseason for sure. Salary cap league is all about cost certainty, and we got some high dollar extensions coming due the next few seasons.

I don't think you need him to regularly putting up 30+ points. TH getting a win and sometime carrying the team on his back (thanks to the D) like he did on Thursday will be a better measuring stick. 

4 minutes ago, zskins said:

I don't think you need him to regularly putting up 30+ points. TH getting a win and sometime carrying the team on his back (thanks to the D) like he did on Thursday will be a better measuring stick. 

I prefer not looking at W/L since he can only play one side of the ball, but yeah — if he keeps playing like he has, it’s likely the O will put up points and thus be likely the team gets wins.

• Like 1