Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

Mike Shanahan on, lol I know another dude who some don't think much of.   IMO he's the best offensive mind we've had here since Gibbs' first stint.

Some of his points:

A.  he thinks really highly of the Eagles defensive front.  He thinks it takes a lot of pressure off of their coverage.  He thinks the Eagles could be a problem.

B.  He loved Mac Jones coming out of college, he thinks he will be a really good NFL QB

C.  He really likes Heinicke based on what he's seen thus far.  He likes his ability to make plays off script, quick release, quick decision maker.  He's a big fan of how he handles himself in interviews, he thinks it says a lot about the person.

D.  His concern is simply lack of playing experience.  Hard to get a feel for his accuracy.    Too soon to make comparisons to other QBs.

He loves his ability to make plays when there is nothing is there.  That's what he harped on the most.

E.  He isn't worried about the WFT defense.  He thinks it will come. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

I agree with you but only to a certain extent. He played in a different league so he may value things that are not as beneficial here. You mention Paulsen and I like him overall but I'd contrast that with Doc Walker. Doc's a cool guy. Met him once had some good conversations with him. But his analysis on TEs and most of football is based on the League from 15-30 years ago sometimes so its not really so applicable. Thats a different league. 

It's not like he's been a mile away from the QB position since he played.  He has a lot more experience both playing and coaching that spot than Scott.  but specifically him playing the spot means something to me.  If they were both just coaching the spot all the time and neither played the spot, then maybe it would be more debatable for me.  Doc Walker playing TE in the 80s and not coaching the spot to boot to me isn't a relevant comparison to Jay. 

All these guys make mistakes.  Some like Scott, some don't.   If I recall it was Joe Banner who worked with him for years who said Scott is a nice guy, not a bad coordinator, but saw nothing special about his abilities based on his observations.  Personally I am agnostic about Turner.  As for Jay, I agree with those who said he's a really good play designer, not so much play caller.  But my take here is more about him playing QB.

All these guys make mistakes.  I recall Keim saying Turner beat the drum for them to draft AGG, so far that's not working out.  I believe though he wanted Gibson, that is working out.  McVay is a genius but also according to some he wanted Josh Doctson badly.  Jay wanted Holcomb and Ionnaidis but also wanted Trey Quinn.  hits and misses,

13 hours ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I like his opinions for that reason. But he seems to be good at picking everything but QB. And its not just him. His brother has the same problem. Fortunately his brother was given Carr like he was given Cousins. But he / Bruce never were able to make the Cousins thing work whereas his brother was able to make the Carr work.

Heck I think Jay killed it with Cousins let alone didn't figure it out.    Cousins was a struggling QB under Shanny even though he loved him.   RG3 was supposed to get the 2015 job but Jay gave it to Kirk.  That was a big move at the time even though it seems easy now.  And Cousins played way better under Jay than he did under Shanny. It was probably coincidence.  Still I can't fault Jay for anything on Kirk.  As for not keeping Kirk, that I put on Bruce not Jay.  Jay seemed to be the dude with the foresight to want to trade Kirk because he sensed he didn't want to come back.   

Andy Dalton wasn't a barn burner in Cincy but he would strike me as up your alley, he's better than the Nick Mullens Case Keenum types that you tout here and there.  Stories at the time was that it was Jay who wanted him in the 2nd round.  The miss rate for QBs in the 2nd is like 90%?

Not saying Jay is some QB genius, he certainly had flaws as a coach but he's been around enough for me not to dismiss his take on a QB.  And again he was flattering to Heinicke so lets hope he's right. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's right about Philly's front.  They are playing the way we hoped ours would.  Hargrave and Cox have been as good as it gets.

Teams aren't game planning for Philly's front like they are for ours. Contrary to belief, I think our front four isn't doing that bad, apart from Chase. It's our secondary and LBs that are getting this defense torn apart right now, they aren't defending the quick pass well at all and there's miscommunication at both of those levels right now. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's right about Philly's front.  They are playing the way we hoped ours would.  Hargrave and Cox have been as good as it gets.

I watched it some at the beginning of the game, was impressed by it, and commented on it then.  Shanny admits he helps his son game plan.  If he's complementing their front I'd strongly guess that a lot of film watching of game #1 where their D line also supposedly impressed helped color his opinion.

• Like 2

“He ran a double move on the outside,” Heinicke said. “We had a seam to Logan [Thomas], and they ran Cover 2. I really wanted to hit Logan right off his break in front of that safety, but they collapsed on it pretty well. And then I kind of felt like I was stuck back there in the pocket, and I saw Ricky Jones one-on-one with the corner. He’s a bigger body than the corner, so I said, Hey, I’m gonna give this guy a chance, and it’s gonna be incomplete or a touchdown. … He made an unbelievable catch, and got both feet in.”

• Now leading 27–26, with the ball back and 2:22 to go, Turner stayed aggressive on a second-and-7 on his own 22 and put the ball in Heinicke’s hands. That call wound up going the other way—with another former Panther, James Bradberry, getting in the way.

“We called a little quick pass, it’s essentially a run play,” said Heinicke, of the intention of the play, to get easy yardage. “And it was against Bradberry. Thing about Bradberry is I was with him in Carolina. Scott was there in Carolina, he’s seen that play before. He made a great play, he jumped it. It was big for our defense to come out after that, get a huge stop, hold them to three and give us a chance to win. Kudos to the defense. They did a great job.”

• After the defense did that job—holding the Giants to a field goal—Heinicke drove the hosts down and set Washington up with a first-and-10 at the Giants’ 36, close enough for a long Hopkins try. With no timeouts left and 24 seconds showing, Turner and Rivera let Heinicke ride again.

“Terry [McLaurin], I feel like he’s a top-10 receiver in this league,” Heinicke said. “And tonight, you could see why. He gets open, and when the ball’s in his hands, he makes things happen. Really wanted to bang that slant on him quick, and he did a great job getting open, catching the ball and getting those extra five, six yards, making it an easier field goal for Hop.”

As it turned out, Hopkins would need the extra yardage. The six-yard gain (followed by Heinicke’s getting the offense to the line and coolly spiking it with five seconds left), plus the penalty yardage, got Hopkins those yards and Washington an important win—and Heinicke more validation that he was made to finish up that engineering degree too soon.

Afterward, Heinicke told the NFL Network crew that he believed he should be the starter the rest of the way (Ryan Fitzpatrick is expected to be out two months). He softened that a little when I asked about it: “That’s nothing against Fitz. Obviously Fitz has been in this league a long time for good reason. He’s a great player, a great quarterback. Unfortunately, he went down with a weird injury. But I feel like every quarterback in this league, if you’re on the roster, even if you’re on a practice squad, you gotta believe you’re starter-capable.”

That said, clearly, this is a guy playing with a lot of confidence. And even he’ll concede, this confidence is relatively newfound. Because, well, why wouldn’t it be?

“I never knew if I could, because I never had that opportunity until last year,” he said. “So when that Tampa game happened, we had a great game, and unfortunately fell a little short, that gave me a lot of confidence. They go on to win the Super Bowl, and we gave them a good shot. So coming into this offseason, really dove in hard, the training, the eating, diet, nutrition.

“These guys, they trust me.”

That much is for sure.

• Like 7

Josh Allen has to face Heinicke next.

Allen has had 2 bad games in a row.

Heinicke has never had a bad game.

One might argue, "well Allen is due to bounce back, and have a good game against us".

But the same could be said for our defense ; they have had 2 bad games in a row, also uncharacteristically ; so they also, are due for a bounce-back game.

Heinicke with a rebounded defense is going to be exciting Sunday.

• Like 6

48 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Legend something or someone that has happened in the past ?

Heinicke isn't the past. He's the future.

So how can he be a Legend ?

He's still around. And will be, for a long time.

I think the legend moniker is one of hope. That we are living in the days where the legend is actually made. Which I so, so want to be the case. It would just feel good to be able to tell my **** children about the most important time in my life before they came along a ruined it. 

Kidding about the kids if you are worried 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I think the legend moniker is one of hope. That we are living in the days where the legend is actually made. Which I so, so want to be the case. It would just feel good to be able to tell my **** children about the most important time in my life before they came along a ruined it. 

Kidding about the kids if you are worried 

So...Birth of a Legend.

I like the sound of that better.

For one thing, it implies there's much more good things to come.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a Legend something or someone that has happened in the past ?

Heinicke isn't the past. He's the future.

So how can he be a Legend ?

He's still around. And will be, for a long time.

The second meaning of the word: 

2: a famous or important person who is known for doing something extremely well

He has become a baseball legend.

a guitar-playing legend

She is a legend in her own time. = She is a living legend. [=she has become a legend while still living]

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Josh Allen has to face Heinicke next.

Allen has had 2 bad games in a row.

Heinicke has never had a bad game.

One might argue, "well Allen is due to bounce back, and have a good game against us".

But the same could be said for our defense ; they have had 2 bad games in a row, also uncharacteristically ; so they also, are due for a bounce-back game.

Heinicke with a rebounded defense is going to be exciting Sunday.

Didn't the bills win 35 to 0.  How bad a game could he have had?  I didn't see game.  Only looked at final score. 

17 minutes ago, burgngold fan said:

Didn't the bills win 35 to 0.  How bad a game could he have had?  I didn't see game.  Only looked at final score. 

That's the thing. You would have to see the game, to see how bad he was.

There are games where the score is very misleading.

This is one of those games, and in an extreme fashion.

Ask anyone who watched it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's the thing. You would have to see the game, to see how bad he was.

There are games where the score is very misleading.

This is one of those games, and in an extreme fashion.

Ask anyone who watched it.

He's right. The score is not even close to how the Bills played.

8 minutes ago, burgngold fan said:

Seems pretty scary that the qb play poorly and they still win 35 - 0.

Makes me worry even more about this game

The Dolphins just played that badly

• Like 1

This kid has deserved the attention he has been given and has deserved to start for this football team. The only chance Washington has to win this division is under the leadership of Taylor Heinecke. Like him or not he is the best quarterback on this team.. if we can get our defense playing good football, like they were in the second half of last season, we will have a a shot at winning this division, and that is the only way we will win this division. We are playing every future Hall of Fame quarterback in the league this season! If Heineken leads us to the playoffs with the incredibly hard schedule that we have, then we have found our future quarterback for the next many years! Either our defense steps up right now, or it's going to be a very long season, even with a damn good little quarterback.

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/taylor-heinicke-stat-after-first-3-starts-wft-will-blow-your-mind

Edited by RedskinsLegacy
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, zskins said:

The second meaning of the word: 

2: a famous or important person who is known for doing something extremely well

He has become a baseball legend.

a guitar-playing legend

She is a legend in her own time. = She is a living legend. [=she has become a legend while still living]

If that's the definition of a legend, there is a Redskins legend to pay tribute to today, as it's his birthday.

He was a legend in Training Camp and a legend of my man-crushedness.

He would have been a great NFL FB, if given the chance in an NFL offense utilizing the position.

Happy 27th Birthday to Elijah Wellman, Legendary WV Mountaineer and Redskins Camp FB.

He's #38 in these preseason highlights.

For one of his catch and runs, check at 1:33 - but look at that monstrous hit he places simultaneously on 2 Defenders, dishing out the punishment on the Defense.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Confused 1