Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

10 hours ago, Stefanskins said:

Yes, but lately, lil more zip and his timing on the outs have gotten better…I can’t think of one since the break that looked terrible…sure, initially when he throws those out patterns my eyes tell me “oh no!! He’s not gonna make it to that point in time!!” But time and time again his noodle arm passes are precisely on point…this tells me he’s read the defense and absolutely knows where to place the ball with his wide receivers and most importantly when…it’s not how fast the ball gets there but when…

If a QB has a below average arm, he basically has to have elite timing on those out routes. It does look like Heinicke's timing has gotten a bit better, but I can still tell they don't have much mustard on them so even with improved timing those are still pretty close. There haven't been the same dropped interceptions as earlier but DBs are still basically right there when the pass gets to the receiver usually.

But as I said, it seems that recently Turner has put in far fewer of those kinds of passes and others that are iffy with a below average arm and instead has done much more short and intermediate between the numbers stuff. That's definitely smart to do, but it's also a reality that the play calling and game planning is probably being somewhat limited by Heinicke's arm.

• Like 1

Heinike is surviving out there.  His mental game is strong.  I do sort of wonder if his lack of arm is why this offense struggles in the red zone?  Maybe they are reluctant to call certain routes or plays where the ball needs to be thrown into tight spaces?  Taylor is pretty solid against zone coverage, finding the soft areas to deliver the ball too, but those types of plays go away once you get inside the opponents 30ish yard line, suddenly you are often throwing passes that could end up contested, broken up, or picked if you don't zip it in there.   

I won't put it on entirely on him as I am sure the rest of offense needs to improve in that area too.

Honestly, during this win streak the team is resembling more of what we expected going into the season.  Leaning on the defense & run game.  It's no surprise that the team magically starts winning as soon as the defense has humbles 4 very capable QB's in the last month's worth of games.  The offense has shown flashes at times, but it's mostly with yards not points.  Tampa & Carolina have the defenses, but Seattle & Las Vegas, these two opponents could have and *should* have been put away earlier in the game.   

Finding ways to win is encouraging, but it's a hard way to win week in and way out.  Hopefully in this home stretch, Taylor and the offense find ways to get the ball into the endzone more often.

Edited by NoCalMike
  • Like 1

Y'all lookin for the poop in the punchbowl here are out of your minds - look around the league tons of games are coming down to the second half of the fourth quarter and the great ones find ways to win.  The LEGEND is finding ways to bring home W's - another victory for the man, the myth, the LEGEND Taylor HEINICKE your "QB1" (lol)

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

53 minutes ago, clietas said:

Last Washington QB with four game winning drives in a season?  🤔

RG3 in year 2012. It was so long ago and almost feels like it has never happened. Taylor needs 4 more wins to break RG3 record. :)

Edited by zskins
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, VeroViper said:

For those saying that wasn't his best game today...yes maybe I agree. But I will say that was the worst pass protection he's had recently. He was under siege quite often. Given the circumstances I think he played quite well tbh.

I agree to a point, he does struggle with awareness sometimes and bails himself out with some pretty nifty scrambling. There were a few times he needed to move out of the pocket .

Today's significance - he has just attained a winning record, since being named starter, which is 6-5.

Before today's game, nfl.com had Carr was the league's #1 rated passer. Which just adds more weight to his feat of beating Brady, Newton, Russell, and Carr in 4 straight games.

We did it with a lot of defense. However, thanks to Heinicke's ball-control offense, the defense had much less work to do than normal ; as Heinicke has been eating up the clock

with long drives, total time of possession, etc. Yes, part of that relies on a good running game, and credit to Gibson. But Heinicke was clutch, and consistent, and low on mistakes,

in order to control the ball via the clock and keep our defense and their offense off the field much of the time.

• Like 6