Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The War on Christmas

Cooked Crack

4 hours ago, Jumbo said:

i thought it was more a small percentage  of the gop back then but i learned over time that vermin like the jbs represented a much larger slice of the republican party than i would have ever thought in my youthful innocence, though i still was off given how the trump years made it even more clear how deep and broad all that ugly garbage---and not 'just' racism--ran through the gop demographic

And that's arguably the biggest fact that hasn't really sunk in yet-this isn't what they became, this is what they always were

• Thanks 1

In Leavenworth, Christmas skirmish breaks out over rebranding and Krampus Drink Crawl

The way it’s been portrayed by two religion-advocacy groups, the war on Christmas has descended on the idyllic town of Leavenworth in the Cascade foothills.

You know Leavenworth, the Bavarian-themed destination that puts up over 500,000 Christmas lights during the holidays, appropriately calling itself “Christmastown.” It’s so popular that lodging for Saturday night is mostly sold out, with one room at $371.

Charge No. 1: The Leavenworth Chamber of Commerce took the word “Christmas” out of the name for its famous holiday festival. The “Christmas Lighting Festival” was rebranded as “Village of Lights.”

Charge No. 2: On Dec. 4, on opening weekend of monthlong Christmas festivities, the town welcomed members of Krampus Seattle. They danced and paraded in their hairy, horned costumes inspired by the mythical Bavarian creature that’s half-demon, half-goat and that punishes those who misbehave at Christmas. The local chamber of commerce even promoted a “Krampus Drink Crawl.”

12162021_krampus03_112235.jpg?d=2040x218

According to the Lynnwood-based Family Policy Institute of Washington, headed by Mark Miloscia, conservative former state senator from Federal Way: “At an event that is supposed [to] honor the birth of Jesus Christ, town officials have chosen to include demonic influences . . . These attacks on Christianity are becoming the norm throughout the country.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 1

but the revelers know that krampus is a fictional movie and that demons are make-believe 🤓

whereas the upset xtians are afraid that their mythical creatures will come and devour them for society going astray ala sodom and godzilla 👹👺

but i digress (<---the demons made me do it!!!....btw, ever notice 'dem' is short for 'demon'?) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Apparently the War on Christmas is older than we think:

Wait. Did they really threaten Santa?

A newspaper staple that predates the Index-Journal, letters to Santa offer a window into the innocent world of a child.

These trivial yet magical little passages are always heartwarming.

Well, almost always.

Letters that printed in Abbeville a century ago that are, well, a bit peculiar keep resurfacing on social media. Take for instance the ones that appeared in the Dec. 22, 1922 edition of The Press and Banner.

61c21624ad9cf.image.jpg

61c216248937e.image.jpg

61c21624076a4.image.jpg

Call me a skeptic, but these letters don’t seem all that authentic. Could you imagine a little boy or girl shooing away gifts by the sack full?

I decided to investigate a bit.

Looking through other clippings and Census records, Samuel E. “Buddie” McCuen was a very real boy who turned 9 that year. Frank Howie and Fred Hill Jr. would have been 5. The 1920 Census had a Robert Jackson who was born in 1919, but it’s a common name so he wasn’t necessarily the carnivore. In other words, most or all of the boys mentioned in this sampling were real.

A War on Christmas Story: How Fox News built the dumbest part of America's culture war

On December 3, 2004, Fox News’ now-defunct The O’Reilly Factor debuted a recurring segment called “Christmas Under Siege.” Though Christmas was not and has never been “under siege” in any meaningful way, disgraced former host Bill O’Reilly and Fox were set on pushing this victimization narrative, laying the groundwork for what became known as the “War on Christmas.” In the 15 years since, onlookers watched the very concept of objective reality fracture along political lines. Consumers of conservative media drifted ever deeper into a world where a school’s nonexistent ban on red and green clothing became national news and paranoid delusions were freely floated about a future in which people may be prohibited from displaying Christmas decorations.

For 15 years, cable news Don Quixotes have battled these windmills, rejoicing in their victories and basking in their acts of bravery while warning their audiences to remain vigilant. Imaginary culture war issues like the War on Christmas make for good politics, as the people arguing that these are real issues can at any time simply dust off their hands, declare victory, and pat themselves on the back for a job well done. Like Lisa Simpson and her tiger-repelling rock, the protectors of Christmas are simply saving the holiday from nonexistent threats.

Deep down, they must know that there’s no actual “war” on Christmas, but it makes for good politics. Rather than having to address issues actually facing Americans -- such as health care, the economy, and climate change -- the fake battles in the fake War on Christmas give right-wing media a convenient way to manufacture divisions between the left and the right. 

40 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

So may (step) father in law sent everybody the same gift - 2 books.  One on Marxism taking over America, and the other on the war against Christianity in America... he's from Arkansas, and his wife is full blown Qanon.

I’m not saying book burning is a good thing, but I am saying that tossing hated objects into a fire pit is more enjoyable than it has any right to be.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 10 months later...

'Too pro-Christmas': Fox News brutally mocked for claiming Biden is 'jumping the gun on Christmas'

Over the years, many critics of Fox News and its sister channel Fox Business have mocked the right-wing cable media outlets for claiming that liberals and progressives are carrying out a “War On Christmas.” It’s a claim that’s difficult to back up, as Christmas music, Christmas celebrations and Christmas decorations become ubiquitous in a long list of major U.S. cities that are overwhelmingly Democratic — from Boston and Philadelphia to Seattle to Chicago. Nonetheless, many Fox News and Fox Business hosts have insisted, year after year, that there is a movement among liberals, progressives and Democrats to attack Christmas.

But in 2022, ironically, Fox News is, according to Media Matters’ Matt Gertz, attacking centrist Democratic President Joe Biden for being “too pro-Christmas.”

At 6 PM on Monday, November 21, Fox News announced its “all-American Christmas tree lighting.” But only four later, on far-right host Laura Ingraham’s Fox News show, “The Ingraham Angle,” the following words appeared on the screen: “Biden White House Jumps the Gun on Christmas.”

In a November 22 tweet, Gertz was quick to point out how badly Fox News was contradicting itself by lighting its Christmas tree on the same day it was attacking the Biden White House for celebrating Christmas too early. And in a separate tweet, Gertz posted, “New Fox News salvo in the War on Christmas is that Joe Biden is too pro-Christmas.”

• Haha 2