Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

26 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Easy way to distribute.  Use every stadium in this country and let the military distribute this vaccine. 

I was just saying the same thing to my wife & SIL at dinner: stadiums , arenas, hangers, etc. Not involving the military - all branches - in this is just beyond comprehension. 

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Easy way to distribute.  Use every stadium in this country and let the military distribute this vaccine. 

Isn't that the way the kill mass amounts of zombies? Lure them to stadiums and bomb the place?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I am what I am.  I had a bonding moment with someone at work today as we discovered that we were both proud owners of the Enterprise-D Blueprints.  Not sure how we got onto the subject specifically, but I think it had something to do with submarines and dolphins, and I provided the little-known fact that though they were never filmed, whales and dolphins serve aboard the enterprise to solve complex 3D navigation problems, and that the tanks they work from can be found in the blueprints.

3 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Isn't that the way the kill mass amounts of zombies? Lure them to stadiums and bomb the place?

Probably better to gate them in and then napalm or something.  Don't want to destroy the structure and risk escape.  Plus you can probably get multiple uses out of it.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

I am what I am.  I had a bonding moment with someone at work today as we discovered that we were both proud owners of the Enterprise-D Blueprints.  Not sure how we got onto the subject specifically, but I think it had something to do with submarines and dolphins, and I provided the little-known fact that though they were never filmed, whales and dolphins serve aboard the enterprise to solve complex 3D navigation problems, and that the tanks they work from can be found in the blueprints.

Probably better to gate them in and then napalm or something.  Don't want to destroy the structure and risk escape.  Plus you can probably get multiple uses out of it.

First off...I have the Original Enterprise blueprints....so HA!

Second off...good point. Napalm would work much better.

11 minutes ago, Xameil said:

First off...I have the Original Enterprise blueprints....so HA!

Nice.  Do the blueprints show that the viewscreen isn't positioned towards the front of the saucer?

11 minutes ago, Xameil said:

Second off...good point. Napalm would work much better.

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

23 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Nice.  Do the blueprints show that the viewscreen isn't positioned towards the front of the saucer?

I love the smell of napalm in the morning.

I'd have to look again. It's been awhile since I've looked at them.

That's definitely one of the all time movie quotes...

12 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

I don't think there is any easy way to distribute the vaccine.  I read that it has to be stored at super cold temperatures and only certain hospitals and pharmacies have that equipment.

Of course, hospital administrators have known for months that a vaccine was going to need that kind of special cold storage and a lot of the good hospitals made sure they had the equipment they needed ready for it in advance.  A competent federal response to this virus would have made sure that distribution locations were ready almost everywhere and helped under-resourced localities prepare for the rollout.  But the criminally negligent Trump administration is infested with venal, incompetent sociopaths who abrogated their duty to lead during the worst public health crisis in a century.  In fact they made it worse.  Republican hands are soaked in blood.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think there is any easy way to distribute the vaccine.

There isn't. It has to be kept frozen, thawed, then used within a certain time frame. Its a logistical headache. You really need a centralized plan nationwide to make it work in a timely manner. 

Here is the PDF about how to administrator it.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.health.state.mn.us/diseases/coronavirus/vaccine/guide.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwi998fhsYfuAhUFmVkKHV5EBegQFjACegQICRAJ&usg=AOvVaw1rYep1jG1CIz31Zg4sCZ-M

• Like 2

17 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

Viewscreen is offset to the left. At about degrees. Also, the blueprints are also of the Enterprise with round nacelles...they are that old...

On 1/6/2021 at 7:49 AM, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think there is any easy way to distribute the vaccine.  I read that it has to be stored at super cold temperatures and only certain hospitals and pharmacies have that equipment.

Of course, hospital administrators have known for months that a vaccine was going to need that kind of special cold storage and a lot of the good hospitals made sure they had the equipment they needed ready for it in advance.  A competent federal response to this virus would have made sure that distribution locations were ready almost everywhere and helped under-resourced localities prepare for the rollout.  But the criminally negligent Trump administration is infested with venal, incompetent sociopaths who abrogated their duty to lead during the worst public health crisis in a century.  In fact they made it worse.  Republican hands are soaked in blood.

Storage is only really an issue for the Pfirzer vaccine.  For it, you need a -80 freezer.  A lot of academic and research centers have them for storing research related things.  Any reasonable sized university doing much research will have at least one.  Something the size of an office fridge is about $1,000.  But that doesn't store you many vaccines.  

For many people, it wasn't about getting the things to store them.  They already had them.  Things had to be moved/cleaned out to make space, but it was possible.

But telling places that don't already have them to spend thousands of  dollars for something they'll use for 2 months or so doesn't make much sense either.

The Moderna and Oxford vaccines don't have the same issues at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterMP said:

Storage is only really an issue for the Pfirzer vaccine.  For it, you need a -80 freezer.  A lot of academic and research centers have them for storing research related things.  Any reasonable sized university doing much research will have at least one.  Something the size of an office fridge is about $1,000.  But that doesn't store you many vaccines.  

For many people, it wasn't about getting the things to store them.  They already had them.  Things had to be moved/cleaned out to make space, but it was possible.

But telling places that don't already have them to spend thousands of  dollars for something they'll use for 2 months or so doesn't make much sense either.

The Moderna and Oxford vaccines don't have the same issues at all.

You've got to get those freezers to pharmacies though.  Every town in America should have had multiple pharmacies equipped to deliver the vaccine upon approval because that is where the bulk of vaccination will probably happen.  If it's only a matter of a few thousand dollars to get the equipment, then it's absolutely worth it for these hospitals and pharmacies to get it even if it's only for storing the doses for a few months.  There should have been a strong federal plan in place months ago to get pharmacies throughout the country ready for storing this vaccine, getting them help to get the equipment if they can't afford it on their own.  That should have been one of the first things ironed out in a planned rollout.

• Like 2

My brother showed me his card yesterday.  I'm jealous.

He said the second shot made his arm A LOT more sore than the first one.  First one was just like a soreness from any old flu shot he said but the second one was way worse.  He also said he felt like crap the following day but it might have been because he did not sleep much the night before due to work.  It could have been a mixture.

If you want a scary glimpse into the vaccine future, my sister-in-laws medical office had 17 people who could get the vaccine.  Two people chose to get it, the two doctors.  So even in an office where everyone is exposed to modern medicine, only the most educated chose to get it.  There is a myth/rumor going around that the vaccine causes birth defects.  Then there is the issue of the shots not being approved or tested on kids yet.  Then, I think about us needing to get to 80 percent for herd immunity. It is going to take a long time.

The only good news I have is if so many who could get the vaccine opt not to do so, my family will get their shots quicker. The supply will stretch further down  the list of populations who can get it.  

Edited by gbear

4 minutes ago, gbear said:

If you want a scary glimpse into the vaccine future, my sister-in-laws medical office had 17 people who could get the vaccine.  Two people chose to get it, the two doctors.  So even in an office where everyone is exposed to modern medicine, only the most educated chose to get it.  There is a myth/rumor going around that the vaccine causes birth defects.  Then there is the issue of the shots not being approved or tested on kids yet.  Then, I think about us needing to get to 80 percent for herd immunity. It is going to take a long time.

The only good news I have is if so many who could get the vaccine opt not to do so, my family will get their shots quicker. The supply will stretch further down  the list of populations who can get it.  

Your last paragraph is good news.  The quicker my family and I can get it the better. I’m prepared to have to wait until June, but if it moves up a couple of months, then great.

2 hours ago, gbear said:

I work health care.  And am an RN student.  

Of all my coworkers/students who I've talked to about it, I think I'm the only one who has flat out stated I'm getting it.  

"Well, there might be side effects"

"We don't know how long it lasts."  

None of them even thinks it's their duty to their patients for them to be vaccinated.  

I tried to do a little Google-level research.  Read part of the application Mederna made to the FDA for their approval.  One thing I was looking for was how many subjects were in the clinical trials.  (30,000, and half of those were placebo.)  

Which causes me to conclude that, if you give this vaccine to 15,000 people, the clinical trial says that:  

1)  Some of them will have side effects.  But not enough to be statistically significant compared to the "side effects" of placebo.  

2)  And 15 of them won't die.  (The US is now at the point where 1 person out of 1,000 in the US has died from this disease.)  

Gee, the decision  on whether to take that vaccine sure is a tough one.  

33 minutes ago, China said:

I was trying to find one of those for MD but had no luck.

I filled out the form on VA just to see where I fall in line, and according to that, I am 1C because I have asthma.

I hope that is the case lol.  It would be nice to get it as early as possible. 

I just have no clue how you can figure out "when it is your turn" in MD.