Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

5 hours ago, gbear said:

If you want a scary glimpse into the vaccine future, my sister-in-laws medical office had 17 people who could get the vaccine.  Two people chose to get it, the two doctors.  So even in an office where everyone is exposed to modern medicine, only the most educated chose to get it.  There is a myth/rumor going around that the vaccine causes birth defects.  Then there is the issue of the shots not being approved or tested on kids yet.  Then, I think about us needing to get to 80 percent for herd immunity. It is going to take a long time.

The only good news I have is if so many who could get the vaccine opt not to do so, my family will get their shots quicker. The supply will stretch further down  the list of populations who can get it.  

My older brother is a physician, and he tells me that a survey was taken at the hospital where he has privileges about six weeks ago re: who is willing to take the vaccine.  He said that 100% (or close to it) of the physicians said they would, and about 90% of the NPs and PAs.  However, hospital staff was at only about 60%.  He actually participated in the Moderna trial in the fall, and then received the first of the two shots for the Pfizer vaccine in December. After the first shot, he was informed by the Moderna trial that he received the real vaccine, and not the saline shot, so he's obviously not going to take a second shot of the Pfizer vaccine.  Told me that Moderna has hesitant to release info on who got the real shot during after the trial concluded, but agreed to do it for people that got the placebo (so they'd know to get the real one) and to prevent physicians. etc. who got the real one from doubling up on a second vaccination if they were eligible for a vaccine during the initial rollout in December.

Edited by kfrankie

I will be getting mine soon even though I'm youngish, but my wife is a respiratory therapist in a baltimore hospital so she will obviously. I am also in healthcare and wil be afforded it soon as well. 

I'l let you guys know if I grow an extra arm or something. Still going to to be months and months until anything approaching herd immunity is achieved 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, purbeast said:

I was trying to find one of those for MD but had no luck.

I filled out the form on VA just to see where I fall in line, and according to that, I am 1C because I have asthma.

I hope that is the case lol.  It would be nice to get it as early as possible. 

I just have no clue how you can figure out "when it is your turn" in MD.

Here's Maryland's page:

https://covidlink.maryland.gov/content/vaccine/

• Thanks 1

My RN class was earlier told that one of the hospitals we're doing clinicals with is offering vaccine to nursing students.  I signed up.  

Just got an email.  The hospital is scheduling appointments for vaccinations tomorrow, the same day we all go to the hospital (in small groups, because Covid) for orientation.  (How to sign on to the computer, things like that.)  So tomorrow, I'm going there for orientation and to get vaccinated.  

And, out of around 80 students in my class, pretty much every one of whom is currently working in health care in some job, anyway, 12 students signed up.  

• Like 3

Publix is working with Florida governor for more vaccines

A Publix spokeswoman said on Monday that the store's online reservation system will continue to be the only way to register for COVID-19 vaccinations once the grocery store chain receives a new shipment of vaccines and can reopen its portal.

Maria Brous, director of communications for Publix, said in an email that her company "took every precaution possible with our online reservation system to avoid panic and provide a pleasant experience for our customers."

"While all available appointments have been reserved, our website does encourage customers to check back daily for updates, as appointments may become available," Brous wrote. The address is publix.com/covid-vaccine.

Brous said that 5,000 customers, age 65 and older, received their COVID-19 vaccine on Thursday and Friday last week at stores in Marion, Citrus and Hernando counties.

"As customers receive their first dose, they will also be assured a second dose at the same location, 28 days later, at their same appointment time," she noted. "A reminder call will be placed two weeks out. We will prioritize our next doses for the second administration of the vaccine."

She said Publix will continue to work with Gov. Ron DeSantis's office on next steps, and the store hopes "to have more vaccines available in the near future."

Last week, DeSantis came to Ocala to announce a pilot program with Publix. Twenty-two stores, including 11 in Marion County, are providing vaccinations to residents ages 65 and older.

Click on the link for the full article

US shifts to speed COVID shots as cases and deaths rise

Facing a slower-than-hoped coronavirus vaccine rollout, the Trump administration abruptly shifted gears Tuesday to speed the delivery of shots to more people. The move came as cases and deaths surged to alarming new highs.

Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar announced a series of major changes to increase supply of vaccines, extend eligibility to more seniors and provide more locations for people to get shots. Administration officials describing the new policies conveyed a notable sense of urgency.

One change will have some teeth to it. Azar said going forward the federal government will base each state’s allocation of vaccines partly on how successful states have been in administering those already provided.

“If you are not using vaccines that you have the right to, then we should be rebalancing to states that are using that vaccine,” Azar said at news conference.

California announced that educators are getting their vaccines in early February. It would be amazing if I could have my first dose by my 30th birthday on the on 13th and have my second dose almost a year to the day that our first lockdown happened. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Bacon said:

California announced that educators are getting their vaccines in early February. It would be amazing if I could have my first dose by my 30th birthday on the on 13th and have my second dose almost a year to the day that our first lockdown happened. 

Good luck and fingers crossed. I work for one of the Ca State Health Departments (essential but not a medical personnel) and we haven't been given a timeline at all for us. I'm expecting Summer or later at this rate.  😬

Edited by The Evil Genius

^^^

I've heard women are more likely to experience side effects. Could be just anecdotal. My friend's a med assistant and she said the first vaccine knocked her out for 24 hours. 

I've also learned I'm at the back of 1-B as an essential worker. I'll probably get it sometime Feb/March. 

• Like 2

As some of you know my wife is the head of infection prevention at her hospital and has been quite stressed out over the last year. 

One of the problems she's been complaining about is that the government is asking our Healthcare system to do too much.

They want them to organize the administrative aspects of the vaccine while also trying to perform the administering of it and at the same time care for all the patients who have it on top of all their regular duties.

She says it's too much and they can't handle it.

The government definitely dropped the ball and kicked it across the field on this one.

32 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Isn't the majority of the backlog due to a lack of personnel able to deliver the shots? 

That and space my wife says.

You can't do it in a drive through system because a nurse has to watch you for 15 to 30 minutes afterwards and all those people have to be socially distanced so that becomes a big problem for most hospitals. 

Scheduling is also a huge problem.

She says the medical reserve Corp or national guard should be taking this over and they're not and it's the biggest reason it's not going well.

I have a feeling biden will take that bull by the horns though.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Why West Virginia and South Dakota are beating California at the vaccine race

Through the icy hollows of West Virginia, members of the Army National Guard are driving precious doses of COVID-19 vaccines to the state’s independent pharmacies. So far six of every 100 residents have received the vaccine, making this poor and rural state the nation’s leader at getting shots in arms.

Halfway across the country, South Dakota has taken a very different yet equally effective approach: Divvying up its 66 vast and windswept counties among its major healthcare plans, it tasked each plan with vaccinating every resident in its assigned counties, using well-established courier services.

In contrast, the tech-savvy, populous and economic powerhouse of California has given only 2 doses per 100 residents, even though it has received roughly the same amount of vaccine, per capita, as those other states. The Golden State, with a larger, more fragmented and decentralized healthcare system, is relying on an ambitious but complex tiered priority system. Residents complain of poor messaging and confusion about who is eligible, saying they don’t know when, how and where to go for vaccination.