Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Vaccine Thread

Cooked Crack

20 hours ago, purbeast said:

A big difference with this vaccine was that there was a lot of information sharing which usually does not happen.  Usually the research is kept internal because everyone wants to be first to market to get patents and make the ridiculous $$$.  

Also to add to this MERS and SARS research had been going on for years. These 2 are also coronaviruses. They were able to use large parts of this research with covid which sped things up tremendously.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HOF44 said:

Also to add to this MERS and SARS research had been going on for years. These 2 are also coronaviruses. They were able to use large parts of this research with covid which sped things up tremendously.  

Yeah. 

I mean basically, the vaccine was "rushed" by normal standards, but by scientific standards, it was not rushed.  

I will take the word of scientists, doctors, and researches about whether or not the vaccine was rushed, rather than a viral facebook post from some rando saying it was rushed.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Yeah. 

I mean basically, the vaccine was "rushed" by normal standards, but by scientific standards, it was not rushed.  

I will take the word of scientists, doctors, and researches about whether or not the vaccine was rushed, rather than a viral facebook post from some rando saying it was rushed.

As an ex-bio guy myself and have done my own research and if I had thought it was "rushed" I wouldn't have not gotten the vaccine this past Friday. I had a choice not to get it. It was not a requirement for my client but they extended their courtesy to me and so I took it. I hear the 2nd shot is worse. I am ready for it. :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, zskins said:

As an ex-bio guy myself and have done my own research and if I had thought it was "rushed" I wouldn't have not gotten the vaccine this past Friday. I had a choice not to get it. It was not a requirement for my client but they extended their courtesy to me and so I took it. I hear the 2nd shot is worse. I am ready for it. :)

Yeah my brother said his second shot was worse.  The location of the shot was much more sore for a day he said than the first one, which was just like a normal flu shot.  And then he said he felt kind of "blah" the next day, but he also said he didn't get to sleep much in the firehouse the day he got his second shot (which was during work) so it may have just been that.

He was also a bit skeptical about it and thought it was rushed and we had this chat after he had his second dose.  But when I explained all of this stuff to him he felt better about it.  He had no clue about any of that stuff prior.

• Like 1

US to join WHO-led vaccine project: Biden’s chief medical adviser

The United States under President Joe Biden intends to join the COVAX vaccine project that aims to deliver vaccines to poor countries, his chief medical adviser, Anthony Fauci, told the World Health Organization (WHO) on Thursday.

“President Biden will issue a directive later today which will include the intent of the United States to join COVAX and support the ACT-Accelerator to advance multilateral efforts for COVID-19 vaccine, therapeutic, and diagnostic distribution, equitable access, and research and development,” Fauci told the WHO executive board.

Click on the link for the full article

• Like 2

Florida governor walks back claim over 1 millionth shot

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis had a made-for-TV moment: A 100-year-old World War II veteran getting a vaccine against the coronavirus. “An American hero,” the governor proclaimed Friday, would be the 1 millionth senior in his state to get a lifesaving shot in the arm.

As it turned out, the assertion was premature, and the Republican governor later walked back the claim, saying instead that the injection was symbolic of the state being on track to hit 1 million doses soon.

State officials acknowledged that it could take a few more days to reach the milestone. DeSantis’ own health department reported that, as of Thursday, fewer than 840,000 seniors had received the shot.

Still trying to get a family member their first vaccination as a medical worker in MOCO. Stupid individual county rules in MD. Either you have to live in a PGCO to get it or you have to work in HOCO to get it, or fight with everyone to get it in MOCO.

Lives in HOCO and works in MOCO = screwed.

On 1/24/2021 at 9:46 PM, China said:

My wife's second dose is now scheduled for Tuesday.  :)

where did she go to get the shot?

Edited by ClaytoAli

Scoop: Hundreds of Biden staffers receive COVID vaccine

A week into the job, President Biden's White House medical team has administered the coronavirus vaccine to several hundred staffers — and aims to vaccinate all in-person staff over the next few weeks, officials tell Axios.

Why it matters: The new administration is ramping up steps to protect President Biden and all staff working inside the White House complex. The administration is also requiring daily employee COVID tests and N95 masks at all times.

Edited by China

3 hours ago, ClaytoAli said:

Still trying to get a family member their first vaccination as a medical worker in MOCO. Stupid individual county rules in MD. Either you have to live in a PGCO to get it or you have to work in HOCO to get it, or fight with everyone to get it in MOCO.

Lives in HOCO and works in MOCO = screwed.

where did she go to get the shot?

She said she was offered to get it either in Reston, Springfield or Annandale and she chose Annandale because that was closest.  She also recommends not going to the Fairfax County Government Center because that's where most people go and it's crowded.

Johnson & Johnson Covid-19 vaccine is 66% effective in global trial, but 85% effective against severe disease, company says

By Maggie Fox, Amanda Sealy and Michael Nedelman, CNN

Updated 9:20 AM ET, Fri January 29, 2021

(CNN)Johnson & Johnson's Covid-19 single-shot vaccine was shown to be 66% effective in preventing moderate and severe disease in a global Phase 3 trial, but 85% effective against severe disease, the company announced Friday.

The vaccine was 72% effective against moderate and severe disease in the US, the company said.
It's a striking difference from vaccines from Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna, and it may give pause to people uncertain about which vaccine to get or when they can get one. The vaccines already on the market in the US are about 95% effective overall against symptomatic Covid-19, with perhaps even higher efficacy against severe cases.
But experts say the Johnson & Johnson vaccine will still be useful against the pandemic in the United States and around the world.

Lots more in link: https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/29/health/johnson-coronavirus-vaccine-results/index.html

J&J will definitely be useful. We shouldn't be measuring a vaccine's usefulness on the basis of its efficacy for an individual case. Rather, we need to consider its overall effect on herd immunity. The numbers above were captured during a clinical trial when there wasn't a vaccination effort taking place, but it's the combined effect of vaccination in a broader community that will ultimately end the pandemic. 

Think of it like this: we've been told innumerable times over the past year that it's helpful to wear a mask, but it's only truly protective when two people in interaction with one another are wearing masks. Vaccines have a compound effect that lead to a substantial reduction in r0 that eventually kills a virus. 

This goes for alternate strains as well. 50% efficacy doesn't sound great, but if a majority of the population is vaccinated against all strains, that 50% for one strain doesn't provide a virus with a large enough window to take hold in a community. This is why it's so crucial that the vaccination process be fast and efficient, utilizing every option on hand. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2