Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

There are so many bad teams this year, I doubt we get a top 3 pick. If there's a franchise QB available when we pick, great, but more than likely it will be a gamble. If there's a franchise LT, I would rather do  that than gamble and wind up with the next Blake Bottles.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

What was Griffin then?  That dude had DC in the palm of his hand in 2012, was he just another guy before we traded our lifesavings?  I remember making a poll asking if we should lose a home game to the vikings to get a better chance to get him.  Generational face of the franchise, blah blah blah.  That doesn't make Lawrence a bust, but does he really stand a chance here with the franchise in the state its in?

We moved up to get Rg3 that was a mistake and a reach. But if you are in a position to get Lawrence then that is what you do. No way you pass up on that!

You then get some good players in OL as well. You have to go heavy on the OL, TE and Corner next year. 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

lolol we cried for years how we never drafted DL. We draft a few, now suddenly they're "toys."

Most of this fan base has no clue what it wants but will literally complain about anything and everything.

I love this post. Apparently anyone this team uses a first round pick on is a "shiny toy". Only one of which has taken in the first dozen picks. So one very high pick and some other first rounders. I'm also not sure what people want here...to trade away all draft picks so as not to have "shiny toys"?

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

Are you serious man?

All I'm saying is I'm sick of getting all amped up about draft choices and still being the worst damn team in football. 

I know exactly what I want, I want a winning God damned record for a change.

So what do you want, to trade away all the draft picks so as to not have rookies? All teams have draft picks. Most teams have first rounders. But it's not like this team is constantly losing and earning Top 12 draft picks. It is losing, but it also has only drafted seven players in the top 12 picks in the last 20 years (Sean Taylor, Carlos Rodgers, LaRon Landry, Trent Williams, Robert Griffin, Brandon Scherff, and Chase Young). And most of those picks were pretty good. Getting excited over some mid-first round pick is fine, but a lot of those picks may not become Pro Bowlers. You want to win, but also seem to have no actual plan how to win.

19 minutes ago, Riggo-toni said:

There are so many bad teams this year, I doubt we get a top 3 pick. If there's a franchise QB available when we pick, great, but more than likely it will be a gamble. If there's a franchise LT, I would rather do  that than gamble and wind up with the next Blake Bottles.

We are the second worst team in the NFL. That's not far fetched at all to say.

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Then we should sign Dak

3 hours ago, Florgon79 said:

I'd actually love that. I feel like he's probably pissed he didn't get an extension before the injury. Like when Earl Thomas flipped off Pete Carole as he was being carted off the field. Obviously Dak is way classier than that clown. But if that were me I'd be pissed off, and what better way to get back at a team than to play within the division?

Doesn't Dak want 35 Million a year, and that's why he didn't get the extension he wanted ?

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Yeah it makes no sense to call a franchise QB a shiny new toy. It is literally the most important position in sports. It IS your foundation, your house, your whatever analogy you want to use.

It's not my opinion, its literally how the franchise treats them.

And Lawrence is the best prospect at that position in almost 10 years. Is he a guarantee? No, of course not, but there are no guarantees ever.

There never is.

Could Dan Snyder ruin him? Sure. But if you're going to live in that fear, then you might as well just stop following the team entirely because he's not going anywhere and you're just forcing yourself to live a life of misery.

Miss me with that find a new team nonsense because folks disagree.  Its not fear its a pattern, and ignoring that pattern is denial.

Standing pat at a veteran unless Lawrence falls in our lap. Haskins fell in our lap and that **** is over before his second Thanksgiving here.  Its OLD.

1 hour ago, Riggo-toni said:

I mentioned rodgers and wilson before, and those guys weren't top 3 picks.  OP suggests we don't waste a new talent and go with a veteran , but maybe the middle ground is we develop a mid round guy.  Or at least late first round guy.  Maybe developing the top 3 pick is too much for us lol.  

We need our coaching staff to adapt to today's NFL.  Mobile playmaking QB.  Kyle Allen is the closest thing we have to that.  We basically need to emulate mahomes and wilson.  If we're in a position to take a premier guy, take him.  If not, go for the wilson mahomes type and adapt/create your offense around that. Adapt/create something because this is the most boring offense I've ever seen.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Dirt said:

I mentioned rodgers and wilson before, and those guys weren't top 3 picks.  OP suggests we don't waste a new talent and go with a veteran , but maybe the middle ground is we develop a mid round guy.  Or at least late first round guy.  Maybe developing the top 3 pick is too much for us lol.  

We need our coaching staff to adapt to today's NFL.  Mobile playmaking QB.  Kyle Allen is the closest thing we have to that.  We basically need to emulate mahomes and wilson.  If we're in a position to take a premier guy, take him.  If not, go for the wilson mahomes type and adapt/create your offense around that. Adapt/create something because this is the most boring offense I've ever seen.

Agreed.

8A8DC40B-3872-447E-AD55-8A9732BA9B42.jpeg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Bad take and narrative to spread.

Watch Fields before you post this stuff. It’s entirely possible Fields doesn’t pan out, but to lump him in with the other OSU guys is a really bad take.

I can post whatever I want, thanks.

I base my opinion mostly on intuition. I feel the exact same way about USC quarterbacks. My evaluation system has been 100% accurate so far, unless you count Carson Palmer, which I don't.

Oh yeah that Wilson BYU kid looks good. I'd be down to draft him.

I honestly don't know what the solution is. I am of the opinion that we are so far away from being a competitive football team that we may as well build other areas of the team (secondary, WRs, linebackers, offensive line in that order) before addressing the QB situation. Why not just keep rolling with Allen? I mean, is he much worse than whatever rookie we could potentially draft? And are we completely done with Haskins. I agree he looks pretty bad so far, but is it fair to write him off? Probably lol.

I think Trevor Lawrence is the only real answer for a long term solution. I don't trust this front office to draft any other QB, they will probably whiff just like they did with Haskins.

Oh one other thought, if the Jets end up drafting Lawrence, could we get Darnold for like a fourth or fifth rounder? Worth rolling the dice? See if we could rejuvenate his career? He's better than what we have....barely lol.

Edited by abdcskins
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SAli457180 said:

With that said, it all depends on what Rivera and Turner think is best.

sounds like they have difficulty agreeing on that.

It’ll be Kyle Allen backing up a rookie QB if we pick top 2, or it’ll be Cam, Kyle Allen and a rookie QB picked on day 2 of the draft.

22 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I've thought about trading for someone like Matt Stafford but honestly we have so many holes that it just doesn't make sense. The offense needs: QB, TE, 2 WRs at least, and 3-4 OL. The defense needs starters at literally every position behind the DL except for Fuller at one of the CB spots, so that's 6 starters. That's 13 new starters. Its unreasonable to address all of that in one draft and one FA class, realistically you're looking at another two years before the roster is fully fleshed out.

If we have the #1 pick you take Lawrence. If not, you take the best available player, but I wouldn't invest resources in an expensive vet QB. Save our money to go all in when we do hit on the QB and our window officially opens. Remember that we're eventually going to have to resign guys like McLaurin, Payne, etc. as well.

I'd argue the 'need for 13 starters'.  There's a few guys who would look much more serviceable if they had other starter caliber players playing with them.  The issue is, we have too many 'serviceable' guys where they don't become better because we're missing those upper tier guys.  Realistically, this team could compete with a LT/C upgrade on the line, a solid blocking TE, 1 WR.  Could likely complete with just the oline/TE upgrades on offense.  Defensively, I would say a true MLB, another outside CB, a FS.  I'd like to either move Collins to SS or try lineback and put him more on the TE which I think he could do.

Edited by steve09ru

26 minutes ago, Redskins Reparations said:

In a perfect world, I would love to draft Sunshine and have him sit the whole year to save him from total annihilation.  Continue to build through the draft and FA to build him a solid OL and receiving options.

The OL yesterday wasn’t good, of course. But they were serviceable. Charles in his two play sample (can we/he catch a break?) looked really good actually. 

If we can get a competent LT and maybe a rookie in a guard spot or RT I think the line is much improved. Of course, that would rely on Scherff being re-upped. Which they may need to do to protect us from filling another hole. 

I am a firm believer that the team with the better QB usually wins the game because it has played out this way for so many game.  My fear is Kyle will play just well enough to fool the staff into thinking they can get by with him and that would be a mistake.  

No I don't want a retread. Or a failed high pick such as Darnold as those guys never develop with the new team, that is chasing fools gold.  This team is so bad a top 3 pick is definitely within reach, especially after yesterday. If it were me I'd root for 1-15 for the chance to take Trevor Lawrence but I don't see the Jets winning a game.