Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Then we should sign Dak

tenor (53).gif

I'd actually love that. I feel like he's probably pissed he didn't get an extension before the injury. Like when Earl Thomas flipped off Pete Carole as he was being carted off the field. Obviously Dak is way classier than that clown. But if that were me I'd be pissed off, and what better way to get back at a team than to play within the division?

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, drowland said:

But how much has Dan played in drafting QBs?  He was heavily involved with Ramsey from what I remember.  Ole Ball Coach never seemed interested in personnel outside of his former Gators so I think his opinion was sure fine.  With Campbell, Dan was at the private workout.  Gibbs was calling the shots but I think Gibbs never planned to play Campbell and agreed to draft him for the next guy so again it's sure he's fine.  We know Dan and Bruce had to convince Mike on RGIII and Mike then drafted Cousins in later rds who he liked better.  And now Haskins who Jay didn't want and Kyle reportedly didn't have a 1st rd grade on.  There's always been one constant and the best QB we've drafted in the last 20 years (Cousins) got the cold shoulder from Dan early in his career because he wasn't Dan's choice.  If Dan pushes another QB, Kyle and Ron should quit.

Recalling some of those narratives.  Dan involved with Ramsey.  Gibbs was the dude smitten with Campbell.  It was Dan in the mix with Shanny on RG3.  Dan wanted McNabb.  Dan wanted Haskins.  Supposedly Dan wanted to trade up for Sanchez.  fell hard for Brady Quinn but his scouts talked him out of it.

The thing is its hard to screw up the top pick in the draft or 2nd pick in the draft if its a good QB year which this is looking to be -- tough for even Dan to screw it up.  I presume and hope all of the scandals are keeping Dan occupied to keep him away from putting his hand in the soup.  You'd figure maybe the whiff on Haskins would humble him as opposed to embolden him the next time he claims he knows who the best player in the draft is and feels compelled to override his scouting staff.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

This thread is reactionary and emotional after an annoying loss. 

We are certainly in play for the #1 pick. The Jets will win a game or two. If we have a shot at Lawrence, they’re taking him. He’d be on a rookie deal with true elite level potential. 

If they can’t get him or Fields, I’d see them more likely to go after a cheaper vet like Jameis 

Edited by BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93

11 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

This thread is reactionary and emotional after an annoying loss. 

We are certainly in play for the #1 pick. The Jets will win a game or two. If we have a shot at Lawrence, they’re taking Kim. He’d be on a rookie deal with true elite level potential. 

If they can’t get him or Fields, I’d see them more likely to go after a cheaper vet like Jameis 

Lil or Kardashian?

• Haha 1

With this team its always "can't wait to get our shiny new toy" and it never works out.

Trevor Lawrence is just about the only guy I could see transcending the disfunction here, I truly think he's that good (see what burrow is doing in Cincinnati) just about anybody else will most likely succumb to the dan Snyder black hole for once promising careers.

Unfortunately I think this team will improve just enough to win a game or two and knock us out of the Lawrence sweepstakes. 

Edited by redskinss

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Vet QBs don't come cheap. Even Ryan Fitzpatrick is making $8 Million this year.

Relative to what the normal salary for a vet QB is. 

4 minutes ago, redskinss said:

With this team its always "can't wait to get our shiny new toy" and it never works out.

Trevor Lawrence is just about the only guy I could see transcending the disfunction here, I truly think he's that good (see what burrow is doing in Cincinnati) just about anybody else will most likely succumb to the dan Snyder black hole for once promising careers.

Serious question: what are we counting as a “shiny toy”? 

Imo, we haven’t had that since 2012.

• Like 1

Yeah it makes no sense to call a franchise QB a shiny new toy. It is literally the most important position in sports. It IS your foundation, your house, your whatever analogy you want to use.

And Lawrence is the best prospect at that position in almost 10 years. Is he a guarantee? No, of course not, but there are no guarantees ever.

Could Dan Snyder ruin him? Sure. But if you're going to live in that fear, then you might as well just stop following the team entirely because he's not going anywhere and you're just forcing yourself to live a life of misery.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

Serious question: what are we counting as a “shiny toy”? 

Imo, we haven’t had that since 2012.

I'm sure part of my comment was frustration, but yes rg3 comes to mind immediately and we get new defensive line toys all the time and our defense still sucks. 

Yes the linebackers and secondary are mostly to blame but it still speaks to how we can never wait to unwrap our new toy yet it never seems to make a difference in the win column.

And of course there's haskins who may not have been a can't miss blue chipper but he was a first round pick and that so far has had abysmal results.

I'm just frustrated with all the hope and no results due to our constant turmoil.

And maybe Lawrence wouldn't be able to help in the win column right away either but I'm betting eventually he would. 

1 hour ago, Daniel.redskins said:

I agree.  Why would we want another dude that can't run?  Have we learned anything from Haskins?  You need a qb that can move in modern day football.  That and arm strength.  We don't have a qb on this team that can do both.  

Exactly, when you can’t move in the pocket or run with your feet, all your deficiencies show. This his why Haskins was DOA when he came to the NFL, if you can’t extend plays you won’t be in the league long.  Even Allen can occasionally extend plays.

I don’t think there’s much of market for Stafford, what has he done????

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

lolol we cried for years how we never drafted DL. We draft a few, now suddenly they're "toys."

Most of this fan base has no clue what it wants but will literally complain about anything and everything.

Are you serious man?

All I'm saying is I'm sick of getting all amped up about draft choices and still being the worst damn team in football. 

I know exactly what I want, I want a winning God damned record for a change.

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

Are you serious man?

All I'm saying is I'm sick of getting all amped up about draft choices and still being the worst damn team in football. 

I know exactly what I want, I want a winning God damned record for a change.

You choose what to get excited about. That's on you mate.

3 minutes ago, heyholetsgogrant said:

Exactly, when you can’t move in the pocket or run with your feet, all your deficiencies show. This his why Haskins was DOA when he came to the NFL, if you can’t extend plays you won’t be in the league long.  Even Allen can occasionally extend plays.

I don’t think there’s much of market for Stafford, what has he done????

Stafford is still putting up good #s. He was playing great last year and the Lions weren't half bad until he got hurt. This year they've...well done typical Lion stuff and choking games away. If they fire Patricia which they should, a new coach will probably want to start over with a young guy, but Stafford can still play and a contender that needs a QB would definitely want him. I could see Kyle Shanahan wanting him if he really is done with Garopolo.

Of course it's true we've ruined QBs in the past.  MAYBE this time it's the talent of the QB itself that will turn us around and not the ability to develop him.  Hell, you could argue that's always been the case for any team.  "Guys got the IT factor" and all that.   Do Aaron rodgers and Russel wilson 'really' have their teams to thank for them being so good, or are they just...really good. 

Now, it would take one hell of a rookie talent to do that, and there does seem to be plenty of it in the upcoming draft, but I totally understand the idea of picking up a FA.  But, again, it would have to be one hell of a talent to change anything, and we have that history of blowing it with FAs.

It depends on where we wind up picking.  Top 3 I say go QB.  So far it seems QBs will go fast based on the teams that are likely to be top 3.  All I ask is absolutely no trade up whatsoever.  If we feel like we need to do that, then no, get a veteran like OP says.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Yep that too.

Okay lets say you get a guy like Stafford. You're gonna have to give up a draft pick for him. Say you give up a 3rd(he'd probably cost more but just for sake of arguments). That's a 3rd rounder that could potentially be another Terry McLaurin or Antonio Gibson. So now you're investing extensive salary(someone like Stafford is gonna cost a lot)AND you lose out on one more potential young building block. For a guy who is 33 and had a pretty bad injury last year.

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE Stafford. I actually have advocated for trading for him before. But the more I watch this team, the more evident it is just how many holes we have on our roster. We are not in win now mode and only teams in win now mode trade for someone like Stafford.

Not to mention Stafford will be 33 before next season. And he's had some injuries, including missing most of 2019 with back issues. Stafford's injury history is interesting in that he had a lot of issues early on (missing 15 of his first 32 games) and some time of late (missing 8 games last year), but nothing in between. That age is most concerning, though. Same basic age Washington traded for McNabb, Brunell, and Alex Smith. Fans often underestimate aging curves. Maybe Stafford has 3-4 good years left, I don't know. But you're right. This team has too many holes. You don't trade for Stafford when you have holes everywhere (like this team does). You trade for Stafford when you have a good roster except at QB (I'm thinking Chicago or Denver would be decent options)

• Like 1

Lawrence or Fields if we are 1 or 2. If not, this is where the coaches have to make the big bucks. Not really a good offseason for vet qbs. Don't want to give Dak the contract he wants and not even sure Cam wants to play with this terrible team. We might be stuck in 2021 just rebuilding the team and running out Allen or some other mediocre vet. I guess maybe Lance, but I'm not sold on him like Lawrence and Fields. And the rest of the qb class in the draft doesn't look that appealing to waste a 2nd or 3rd on. 

7 minutes ago, MusicCitySkin said:

Lawrence or veteran as a starter. If a veteran, take a more raw prospect in the last 1st/early 2nd.

Just say no to Ohio State quarterbacks

Bad take and narrative to spread.

Watch Fields before you post this stuff. It’s entirely possible Fields doesn’t pan out, but to lump him in with the other OSU guys is a really bad take.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirt said:

Of course it's true we've ruined QBs in the past.  MAYBE this time it's the talent of the QB itself that will turn us around and not the ability to develop him.  Hell, you could argue that's always been the case for any team.  "Guys got the IT factor" and all that.   Do Aaron rodgers and Russel wilson 'really' have their teams to thank for them being so good, or are they just...really good. 

Now, it would take one hell of a rookie talent to do that, and there does seem to be plenty of it in the upcoming draft, but I totally understand the idea of picking up a FA.  But, again, it would have to be one hell of a talent to change anything, and we have that history of blowing it with FAs.

It depends on where we wind up picking.  Top 3 I say go QB.  So far it seems QBs will go fast based on the teams that are likely to be top 3.  All I ask is absolutely no trade up whatsoever.  If we feel like we need to do that, then no, get a veteran like OP says.

If you're that good, you can elevate a franchise.

I mean look at RG3 in 2012. We were trash for several years before that. His first year we win 10 games and he was getting legitimate MVP consideration.

Yes a good environment is conducive to the development of any successful QB, but if you're truly special, you can transcend even that.

I believe Trevor Lawrence is that special. Not sure about any of the others.