Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

48 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm having a hard time believing we need a young rookie QB with the dlinr playing like this.

We could and should be trying to have a veteran QB on deck that doesn't get in the defense way and spend first rounders on weapons, not QBs.

We need a Brad Johnson 2002 Bucs QB or barely alive Manning when Broncos last won it. Ok, reaching, but you get my point.

I posted similar earlier, I think Rivera will be of that mindset too.

• Like 2

Don't bash me for saying this, but what about Dak Prescott?  A few days ago I saw Adam Schefter on Get Up and he brought up Washington could go after Dak in the off season. We went after Cooper, but he chose Dallas as we all know. I can see Washington doing it cause after this season imo I think Alex retires.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RedskinsVa7 said:

Don't bash me for saying this, but what about Dak Prescott?  A few days ago I saw Adam Schefter on Get Up and he brought up Washington could go after Dak in the off season. We went after Cooper, but he chose Dallas as we all know. I can see Washington doing it cause after this season imo I think Alex retires.

That's a lot of money for a good but not great QB. And on top of that he's coming off a major injury. I'd pass.

I think the most likely scenario is we keep Smith and trade up in the 1st for someone like Lance.

1 minute ago, Renegade7 said:

That price tag has to come down, right?

We have a lot of money to blow, especially if we cut Alex and Haskins.

Hard choices coming up soon.

If we cut Haskins we take a bigger cap hit, another 5mil or so, as his rookie deal is fully guaranteed. That’s part of the reason I’d stick with him right through the offseason. Might as well be a pre paid camp arm if nothing else.

I really was sold on Alex being the starter next season. Reservations after yesterday. I think he might seriously struggle with durability over a full season. Could we dovetail that with Kyle Allen and a rookie. Maybe. 

Plenty of viable outcomes still on the table. 

We have to do something, a player coming off an injury is never a great thing but I think Dak has been getting better each year and this year he was having to pick up the slack for a horrible Dallas defense, he was off to a solid season before the injury.

We need a QB with some mobility, its going to be a big, nasty, ugly contract.

You hold your nose and do it because we have no choice, the clock is ticking and we cant keep screwing around at that position, and please no Cam.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Thanks 1

I think the two options for 2021 QB is.....

1) Go into 2021 with Alex Smith the starter (assuming he wants to keep playing) and draft a QB.

2) Sign a veteran QB that has a good handful of years left of high level output in them and keep trying to develop Haskins/Montez for another season before deciding what, if any future they have as a starting QB in the NFL.

I just get this feeling that the longer Alex Smith remains the starter, the more it is a sign that the coaches don't think Haskins is the answer and that they want a fresh start with a young QB to develop.  

I am also not sure where Kyle Allen factors into all of this.  Was he just on a 1 year contract? I could see keeping him around in the event Smith took an injury and the draft pick was not ready yet?

Rumor is Matt Ryan may be available as well as Stanford. I’d kick the tires on either of them for the right price. Jameis Winston might be worth a look f he becomes available.

I heard some radio personality discussing the reason he threw so many pics was Arians offense, also why Brady can’t seem to get on track this year.

Edited by lovemaskins

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

If we cut Haskins we take a bigger cap hit, another 5mil or so, as his rookie deal is fully guaranteed. That’s part of the reason I’d stick with him right through the offseason. Might as well be a pre paid camp arm if nothing else.

I have trouble dealing with this much money tied up in QB and needing a QB. 

Haskins acts like he knows we can't cut him, I hate that. Do it, $5 million you say, jus do it and move on.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1

I'm okay with keeping Kyle Allen and drafting a quarterback in a later round.  Hell, I'd be okay with keeping Haskins on the roster going into training camp to see if there's anything salvageable.  And I don't mean keeping him with the hopes of him turning into a franchise guy and to start.  That ship has sailed.  But as a 3rd stringer potential backup?  Why not?

Edited by DJHJR86

I'm content to say I dont know what I want to do, but none of the options seem appealing.  I was all in on a first rd QB at the top of the draft.  That's gone now.

I'm still not sold on Dak when he has anything less than studs all over the field.  Cant get out of my head how awful he was when Zeke got suspended a few years ago.  Paying him what he'll cost to be THE guy is tough for me.  He should stay right where he is in Dallas.  

None of the other free agent QBs seem like good options either beyond placeholders.  

Picking where we're probably picking, the top guys will be gone.  Not to say you can't get a good guy in the late first or 2nd (or later), but I dont love those guys.  After the top 3, I'm not in on those other QBs.  But they might wind up being the best option.

I dont really wanna see any of the guys starting that we have currently on the roster either.  

Smith, Allen, and a QB in the draft if I had to pick a scenario.

Not very plausible unless he wants to leave, but for fever dream scenario, I'd stack a package and present it to whoever is running Houston next year to try and pry Watson.

They have no 1st or 2nd next year. are likely already over the Cap. Building that team moving forward will be rough w/ virtually no assets.

Coming to them with a combo of Smith, Haskins, Allen, 1st rounder, 2nd rounder, 3rd rounder and telling them to pick 3-4 out of the bunch could refill their ammunition.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1