Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

37 minutes ago, tmandoug1 said:

They get a workout bonus? Did not know that you have to pay them to stay in shape? Interesting.

Depends on the contract negotiated. No team has to offer any sort of incentives, in general. But yeah lots of players have bonuses worked into the meat of their contract that incentivize showing up for voluntary workouts and minicamps, etc. 

53 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Depends on the contract negotiated. No team has to offer any sort of incentives, in general. But yeah lots of players have bonuses worked into the meat of their contract that incentivize showing up for voluntary workouts and minicamps, etc. 

It helps the team as well. The team can prorate bonuses or spread them out. Incentives are even better. They count against the cap. But if they are not earned they carryover to the next seasons cap. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

1. Jacksonville - Trevor Lawrence, QB Clemson

2. NY Jets- Zach Wilson, QB BYU

3. Miami- Jamar Chase, WR LSU

*Trade* Atlanta sends 1.4 to Carolina for #8, 2nd and 2022 1st

4. Carolina - Justin Fields, QB Ohio State

5. Cincinnati - Penei Sewell, OT Oregon

6. Philadelphia - Devonta Smith, WR Alabama

7. Detroit - Jaylen Waddle, WR Alabama

*Trade* Washington sends 19, 74 and 2022 1st to Atlanta for #8

8. Washington - Trey Lance, QB NDSU

9. Denver - Caleb Farley, CB Virginia Tech

10. Dallas - Patrick Surtain II, CB Alabama

11. NY Giants - Kyle Pitts, TE Florida

12. San Francisco - Rashawn Slater, OT Northwestern

13. LA Chargers - Alijah Vera Tucker, G USC

14. Minnesota - Christian Darrisaw, OT Virginia Tech

15. New England - Micah Parsons, LB Penn State

16. Arizona - Gregory Rousseau, Edge Miami

17. Raiders - Kwity Paye, DE Michigan

18. Miami - Jalen Mayfield, OT Michigan

19. Atlanta - Mac Jones, QB Alabama

Atlanta gets their QB, albeit at 19 (and maybe not planned at time of trade). They add 2 1st round picks in 2022, a 2 and 3 in 2022.

WFT gets their QB in Lance and parts with a 19, a 3rd and a 2022 1st.

It's not the most unlikely scenario I've ever heard, but banking on a team deciding to trade themselves away from 2 top notch QB prospects so they can target a guy who may or may not be there at 19 to be the QB they build around seems really far-fetched. 

Cam Newton tore his rotator cuff in week 14 of the 2016 season. 

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article225040560.html

He tried to play through it, which means he made the tear worse, until the end of the year.  He didn't have surgery until March 2017.   What happens is scar tissue forms a patch around the tear.  With this type of time, imagine a significant amount of scar tissue forms that limits the range of motion in the shoulder.  This drastically affects throwing motion.  Additionally, rehabilitation to get through that scar tissue, to release the limitations in range of motion, didn't happen.  He had a second 'clean up' surgery in January 2019.  This 'clean up' surgery is meant to surgically release the limitations in the range of motion from the scar tissue that has solidified his ability to rotate his shoulder. 

So, what happened to Cam Newton and where is he at now is the big Q.  Well, his shoulder mechanics before he tore his rotator cuff and after are different.  He's not regained full range of motion and he never will.  Period.  End of argument here.  The range of motion he has now is what he has.  It's been too long to regain full range of motion.  So now, what does that mean for Cam Newton?  You can check out the video about his comparison between his throwing mechanics before the injury and after to see that the decrease in range of motion has caused other mechanical issues that pile onto his inaccuracy. 

My opinion is that you should pass on Cam Newton.  He will not become more accurate or the thrower he was before Week 14 of the 2016 season. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

It's not the most unlikely scenario I've ever heard, but banking on a team deciding to trade themselves away from 2 top notch QB prospects so they can target a guy who may or may not be there at 19 to be the QB they build around seems really far-fetched. 

I saw a report today that Atlanta is doing due diligence on every QB as a possible smoke screen to make other teams think they're going QB when they likely are going offensive line. They have no line whatsoever according to the report and they are gonna roll with Ryan for now while he's under that massive contract that can't be moved. Based on this article I believe Atlanta will be willing to trade back for more picks. Who knows?

3 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

His contract isn't tradable.  That's why 'if' he gets released was the quote.  Smith isn't going to do WFT any favors, so they'd have to release him. 

Not being rude but can you provide a link about him not being tradable and also the tweet read:  "Report: If the #Washington Alex Smith becomes available through release or trade #Bears would be "very interested" An outstanding relationship with Matt Nagy and great at the development of young QB'S #NFL"  

2 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Not being rude but can you provide a link about him not being tradable and also the tweet read:  "Report: If the #Washington Alex Smith becomes available through release or trade #Bears would be "very interested" An outstanding relationship with Matt Nagy and great at the development of young QB'S #NFL"  

That's just my opinion that the contract is too expensive for a trade.  Alex would likely make WFT release him so his agent could renegotiate a new deal. 

Just now, TheShredder said:

That's just my opinion that the contract is too expensive for a trade.  Alex would likely make WFT release him so his agent could renegotiate a new deal. 

Probably so but I didn't think there was something in his contract that said he was untradeable.  Thank you.

• Like 1

I don't see anybody willing to pay Smith 23 M. We wont be doing that ourselves.

We all know that Smith will not be back in Wash... at least at his current price.

The only way Smith is tradable is if he agrees to re-work his deal and take a massive pay cut. Why would he do that when he knows he can sit on his hands, wait for the team to cut him, then choose his own destination in FA. He does not owe us anything, there is little reason for him to do us a solid like that. 

Even with the reworked deal, i could really only imagine getting a little more than a pick swap in return

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Smith's story was great and all last year but I don't think people here realize how bad of a QB he is in this league relative to his peers. Our winning games with him was more so a testament to the fact that Haskins was somehow worse.

That second half versus Pitt though :) Elite! No playoffs without that shocking win. 

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

I don't see anybody willing to pay Smith 23 M. We wont be doing that ourselves.

We all know that Smith will not be back in Wash... at least at his current price.

The only way Smith is tradable is if he agrees to re-work his deal and take a massive pay cut. Why would he do that when he knows he can sit on his hands, wait for the team to cut him, then choose his own destination in FA. He does not owe us anything, there is little reason for him to do us a solid like that. 

Even with the reworked deal, i could really only imagine getting a little more than a pick swap in return

No way he gets paid his full contract next year. He will transition to Fitzpatrick type dollars and being an asset contractually. A 3-6% cap guy. 

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Smith's story was great and all last year but I don't think people here realize how bad of a QB he is in this league relative to his peers. Our winning games with him was more so a testament to the fact that Haskins was somehow worse.

I agree with that.  He's a very smart QB but far too conservative and immobile to deliver what I'd imagine Scott Turner does with the offensive plan.  We all saw a version of Turner's offensive scheme being played out when Heinicke was letting it all out in the WildCard Game. 

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Ya man, I’m always wanting to engage and will poke and prod at times. I own that. Will manage that better in the future. Good times! 

I don't mind the poking and prodding, I do it too.  The thing is you defended the previous regime pretty hard including every aspect of how Bruce handled the Kirk situation including the paltry return they got for him.  So if you poke on that subject down the road, I'll try to just tune it out, I mostly have tuned it out whenever you've done it but I just felt compelled to respond one time.  So I got it out of my system.   

Personally, i don't find any of that pathetic regime relevant to the current subject of QBs anyhow.   Fortunately we got a new regime, new culture.  So lets move on. 😀

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Nobody is giving up draft picks for Alex Smith. That's a pipe dream if I ever heard one.

What would be nice is Alex Smith for Gardner Minshew straight up.  One can dream but Smith was Urban's QB in Utah.