Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

13 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I remember just a few seasons ago when the conventional wisdom was "Guys like that don't hit the open market"

The Stafford and Watson situations, and the very lukewarm rumors about Rodgers, aren't really open market situations though.  The only wild card here is Prescott, as a result of the franchise tag, which is ultimately franchise russian roulette as we found out. 

22 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Can we please please please

stop calling for mediocre/terrible QBs being forced into the starting job? No bridgewater, no Kyle Allen, no Fitzpatrick, no Jimmy G, none of that. If they don’t get one of the top 4 QBs in the draft or Watson/Stafford/Dak/Rodgers then the offseason was a failure.

I’m inclined to agree. We are short on information at the minute, but if we do become involved in the race for one of the top players and miss out, yep it’s going to be a major letdown.

Probably impacts any meaning pursuit in the high end WR market too.

• Like 1

What we are seeing are less teams willing to roll with average QBs. There used to be multiple ways to win in the NFL, like building a strong defense and having a sound running game. Now, it seems like every team is going to continually roll the dice until they land a franchise QB. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

I like Stafford at a price (1st and 3rd and maybe a conditional 4th next year).  No to Watson will cost a king's ransom.  No to Rogers is too old and will cost a king's ransom at his age too.  Dak is the only one IF A true FA I would spend the money on but Dallas will more than likely FT him.  No to Darnold etc.. If not Stafford, then we probably have to move up in the draft and pick one of the 4 or 5.  Possibly Mac Jones fall to us at #19.  Maybe the WFT has another QB we haven't spoken about they have their eyes on.  We will have to wait and see how they play it.  

4 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m inclined to agree. We are short on information at the minute, but if we do become involved in the race for one of the top players and miss out, yep it’s going to be a major letdown.

Probably impacts any meaning pursuit in the high end WR market too.

Jogs makes good points and I agree with him too as you do.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

What we are seeing are less teams willing to roll with average QBs. There used to be multiple ways to win in the NFL, like building a strong defense and haveing a sound running game. Now, it seems like every team is going to continually roll the dice until they land a franchise QB. 

We have a stout D (less a couple LBs) so that part is covered.  We are missing our field general (QB a WR to complement McLaurin, another TE to complement our TE and a LOT and OG) amongst others to name a few.

Edited by RWJ

34 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

stop calling for mediocre/terrible QBs being forced into the starting job? No bridgewater, no Kyle Allen, no Fitzpatrick, no Jimmy G, none of that. If they don’t get one of the top 4 QBs in the draft or Watson/Stafford/Dak/Rodgers then the offseason was a failure.

I'd just add Ryan and Carr to that mix, knowing that Ryan is unlikely due to the cap hit the Falcons would have to absorb

4 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@RWJ Dallas isn't going to tag and trade Dak within the division. I can't see Dak leaving Dallas. BUT, if he does, then signing him to a massive deal makes the most sense, since it doesn't require draft capital. But again, I can't see Dak reaching FA.

Has anyone looked into whether the Cowboys can actually franchise Dak? Not sure how they would have the cap space. Despite the reduced cap for 2021, the franchise tag is still the average of the five highest paid QBs

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Not that it matters, but these kind of reports are difficult for me to connect: the logic would be Stafford is now ready to uproot his family after 10 years from a place he’s been because another man was removed from his position. 

It doesn’t matter though lol Just reeks of a guy creating a headline to ride the wave of attention currently on Stafford. 

Edited by wit33

Dak shouldn't come here, too much drama involved with division rival QB's. Stafford would be a great choice , and I think he would fit the offense nicely. Rogers could be a play as well but not at the expense of cutting fresh talent to make room in the cap. 

3 minutes ago, method man said:

I'd just add Ryan and Carr to that mix, knowing that Ryan is unlikely due to the cap hit the Falcons would have to absorb

Has anyone looked into whether the Cowboys can actually franchise Dak? Not sure how they would have the cap space. Despite the reduced cap for 2021, the franchise tag is still the average of the five highest paid QBs

+20% right? But OvertheCap Calculator says $23.5m if you choose to franchise Dak. I don't think that's right. But I know some of the franchise tag numbers might be depressed because of the cap situation? I'm not certain. Might require some digging.

4 minutes ago, jaysonx said:

Dak shouldn't come here, too much drama involved with division rival QB's. Stafford would be a great choice , and I think he would fit the offense nicely. Rogers could be a play as well but not at the expense of cutting fresh talent to make room in the cap. 

It's moot anyway. The Lions seem to want to have a trade agreed to in principle in the next week or two, way ahead of free agency

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

Then why are Brees and Brady #1 and #2?  Ben #3?  

Because they've been playing for a hundred years and they complete successful comebacks a high percentage of the times that they face the situation?  My guess is that Stafford has been trailing in the fourth quarter far more than these three, even though he is considerably younger.  No knock on Stafford, but he's clearly been on consistently worse teams than the other three.

2 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

CBSSports article from December says Dak's tag number will be $38m.

Dallas currently has $13m in cap space. I'm sure they can/will get it done, but would prefer a LTD.

I really don’t think they can tag him. Not unless they seriously restructure several deals.

They need that LTD deal to get his cap number well under 20mi in 2021.

4 minutes ago, method man said:

It's moot anyway. The Lions seem to want to have a trade agreed to in principle in the next week or two, way ahead of free agency

I could also see them agreeing a trade up in the draft too. Top 3 or 4 pick, depending on how Miami go maybe they trade back with the Lions.

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I could also see them agreeing a trade up in the draft too. Top 3 or 4 pick, depending on how Miami go maybe they trade back with the Lions.

Yeah, having another 1st rounder could make things interesting, and they would likely benefit from getting what they can before other teams jump into the QB fray.

6 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I really don’t think they can tag him. Not unless they seriously restructure several deals.

They need that LTD deal to get his cap number well under 20mi in 2021.

They could probably re-work some contracts, but they don't have anyone in their Top 10 contracts that they can easily cut to free up cap space. They have a very expensive top-end of the roster with lots of dead $$ in Martin, Zeke, Cooper, Tyron Smith and La'el Collins.

3 minutes ago, Number 44 said:

Because they've been playing for a hundred years and they complete successful comebacks a high percentage of the times that they face the situation?  My guess is that Stafford has been trailing in the fourth quarter far more than these three, even though he is considerably younger.  No knock on Stafford, but he's clearly been on consistently worse teams than the other three.

Not being an ass here but you really may have wanted to read the entire conversation before commenting. I would pay particular attention to the % comeback stats @Florgon79 (thanks again!) posted. 

Just a suggestion 🙂  

1 hour ago, JoggingGod said:

Do you think we just shouldn't even play any games next year then?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

They could probably re-work some contracts, but they don't have anyone in their Top 10 contracts that they can easily cut to free up cap space. They have a very expensive top-end of the roster with lots of dead $$ in Martin, Zeke, Cooper, Tyron Smith and La'el Collins.

It will be extraordinarily easy for Dallas to do some simple restructures and get the space to tag Dak, It'a so not an issue that it doesn't really merit discussion.

That goes for a lot of other talk in this and other threads, where people think being a little over the cap is some kind of automatic eliminator from teams being able to make moves. It is not. Now there are teams with cap issues either by being ridiculously over, like New Orleans or having some good FAs while being over, ie Green Bay. Or you have the unique ass-pokery Pittsburgh has gotten themselves into with being $35 mil over, having a ton of really good players as FAs and all their remaining big cap figure belonging to guys who don't have enough years left on their deals for simple restructures to help (this is kind of astounding- 9 of their top 11 cap guys have one year left on their deal and a 10th only has two years).

But for most teams' situations, basically a GM goes "Oh, I'm 20 mil over? Alright, I'll get that cleared up and call you back in the morning".

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, method man said:

Sorry I didn't answer your question, MM.  I'm not good at the cap stuff.  :) LOL  I see a lot of others have answered the question so hopefully that helped.  :)

I like this thread. We've got the freshest of takes going on.

1. Aaron Rodgers is a bum. Coming off a 48TD, 5 INT MVP season. Too old/washed up.

2. Aaron Rodgers will be on the market. If Packers cut/trade him before 2022, he's got a dead cap hit of $30-32M. They are already, what, 25-30M over the cap? They're trying to unload their MVP and take a massive hit at the same time, in order to downgrade dramatically to Jordan Love?

3. We don't need Rodgers, because we have a cheap stud in Taylor Heinicke. That one guy that has played one game as a starter in his career. And lost.

4. Stafford is a bum. He's inaccurate in a clean pocket.

5. Bridgewater/Mariota are viable alternatives. Two guys that might throw 15 TD's on a good year.

6. We need to keep Alex Smith as an understudy if we get Stafford. Alex is a nice feel good story, but his cap number is outrageous, and he had the 2nd worst QBR in the NFL in 2020. Time to move on.

Keep it up fellas. My F5 key is providing a lot of free entertainment today

• Haha 8