Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

Put it this way, if we get Stafford, then I can see us having three or four 11-5 seasons and some fun playoff runs, which would be nice.  But if we get Rodgers, I can honest to god see us winning a Superbowl in the next year or two.  Maybe we go right back into the tank after like Denver did, but it would absolutely be worth it for a real shot at a championship.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Put it this way, if we get Stafford, then I can see us having three or four 11-5 seasons and some fun playoff runs, which would be nice.  But if we get Rodgers, I can honest to god see us winning a Superbowl in the next year or two.  Maybe we go right back into the tank after like Denver did, but it would absolutely be worth it for a real shot at a championship.

I'm with you SteveMcQueen.  I just don't see GB trading Rodgers in conference (considering they want to repeat).  Rodgers (I think) stays when the dust settles.  That division is his for the foreseeable future.  Detroit is rebuilding.  Chicago doesn't have a QB.  Minny is solid competition, but their d-line is atrocious (Hunter has injury concerns).  If he stays, its his best shot at winning a Super Bowl.  

7 minutes ago, NYSkins21 said:

Keep on mind that even though things are mutual and I'm sure there will be some cooperation, the Lions organization has final say and hold the cards over Stafford. They're going to do what's best for the organization. If the Pat's offer the best incentive, the Lions will make a business decision. Not to mention that I'm sure they would prefer trading him to a team out of the conference.

If I'm Houston, and we're trading Watson, I want him out of the conference where I don't have to see him every year. No way I'm sending him to MIami, I'd rather keep him. If the WFT is willing to give up three 1sts and maybe one of those gorgeous defensive linemen, then I'm taking that deal. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we may be more in on Watson then people realize. If Snyder wants something he usually gets it (unless it's a SB ring). Don't discount the Dan's wallet when it comes to Watson. Plus, if RR tells Dan, we HAVE to get Watson, I can see us overpaying to get him. 

• Like 2

Just now, mhd24 said:

I'm with you SteveMcQueen.  I just don't see GB trading Rodgers in conference (considering they want to repeat).  Rodgers (I think) stays when the dust settles.  That division is his for the foreseeable future.  Detroit is rebuilding.  Chicago doesn't have a QB.  Minny is solid competition, but their d-line is atrocious (Hunter has injury concerns).  If he stays, its his best shot at winning a Super Bowl.  

Rationally, sure.  But there is something weird going on there.  Some kind of buried resentment.  Rodgers is a consummate pro so he didn't let anything prevent him from obtaining absolute excellence on the field.  But I definitely think he is unhappy there.  And if you want to talk about an easy path to the playoffs, look at us.  He would tap dance on this division.  If he wants a change of scenery and can make it happen, then this is a good landing spot for him.  It feels like a repeat of the Peyton Manning and Brady situations, except he's not a free agent.  We just have to be willing to trade what it takes to get him.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Rationally, sure.  But there is something weird going on there.  Some kind of buried resentment.  Rodgers is a consummate pro so he didn't let anything prevent him from obtaining absolute excellence on the field.  But I definitely think he is unhappy there.  And if you want to talk about an easy path to the playoffs, look at us.  He would tap dance on this division.  If he wants a change of scenery and can make it happen, then this is a good landing spot for him.  It feels like a repeat of the Peyton Manning and Brady situations, except he's not a free agent.  We just have to be willing to trade what it takes to get him.

All good points, but one thing working against Rodgers is Father Time...some of these athletes literally lose it in a year for whatever reason. Ben Roethlisberger looks done all of a sudden after starting out 11-0. In the NBA I'm reading where Blake Griffin of the Pistons is all but done at age 31, has lost his bounce and quickness. Rodgers, as great a year as he had, wasn't so great last year. Could it be that the schedule and everything just lined up for him this season? 

Also, he is one moody diva QB. I don't want that here, not coming off of a year of Alex (the Good) and Dwayne (The Ugly)...we don't need a one man face here, it's a team RR is building and Rodgers brings as much individuality as he does talent. Bottom line, if he were 5 years younger I'd do it but he is getting up there and it's too risky for me. 

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think there is a 50-50 chance Aaron Rodgers hits the market.  This is the most unusual vet QB market in decades.  Guys who aren't even free agents are becoming available.

I can't see it.  I think it's 90/10, 80/20. Parting with the (presumed) reigning MVP of the league, with a team on the verge of a SB seems unconscionable to me.  

I put nothing into any chatter minutes after a game. Not even the day after, minutes after.  lol

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I can't see it.  I think it's 90/10, 80/20. Parting with the (presumed) reigning MVP of the league, with a team on the verge of a SB seems unconscionable to me.  

I put nothing into any chatter minutes after a game. Not even the day after, minutes after.  lol

Wonder if Rodgers is feeling the vibe that Jordan Love is breathing down his neck and the coaches like it?

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Wonder if Rodgers is feeling the vibe that Jordan Love is breathing down his neck and the coaches like it?

I don’t think Love is doing much. I think Rodgers wants a change of scenery or to plain ol retire.

Rodgers is a total stud and a better QB and a better track record than Stafford and has had arguably pretty mediocre weapons aside from Adams. Most Pack players go elsewhere and do very little. 

I don’t think him being traded is a sure thing but if I’m the Lions I’m pushing the Stafford trade hard right now before Watson and potentially Rodgers become available. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don’t think Love is doing much. I think Rodgers wants a change of scenery or to plain ol retire.

Rodgers is a total stud and a better QB and a better track record than Stafford and has had arguably pretty mediocre weapons aside from Adams. Most Pack players go elsewhere and do very little. 

I don’t think him being traded is a sure thing but if I’m the Lions I’m pushing the Stafford trade hard right now before Watson and potentially Rodgers become available. 

If nothing else, it drives down the price of Stafford.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Is it naive to want more? Specifically, a younger and healthier QB who could keep us SB contenders for 10+ years, provided of course we maintain the right pieces around him? I don't want for our team to just hover as a perennial playoff contender, nor totally collapse in itself after 1 title.

If we opt to acquire a QB via free agency, I'd rather we pursue Watson. He'd be costly, but he's young enough to endure the multiple on and off rebuilding cycles and talented enough to make us strong playoff contenders even during our lull periods.

3 hours ago, KDawg said:

I just listened to the Rodgers press conference... he almost sounded like he was thinking about retiring.

As far as the Packers go, I’m not sure Jordan Love is any good. There’s been no buzz about him at all there. So either they’re doing a great job keeping it under wraps or he’s not picking the game up fast enough.

Per SportsCenter, when LaFleur was asked if Rodgers would be back next year he said, “I sure as hell hope so”. 

Now, Rodgers is a top QB of all time so you can’t blame him or look too far into it, but if it was a Favre/Rodgers situation I don’t know if he would have been so adamant. 

If they lose Rodgers they may be in the QB sweepstakes, too. 

They spent a first rounder on Love and aren’t in a position for the top 5 QBs in the draft. If Rodgers goes they’re seeing what they have in him.

Edited by JoggingGod
  • Like 1

Based on Rodgers performance against the Buccs I wonder if he's lost it already. That was an absolute embarrassment. Wasn't it three chances to win it after interceptions and just never looked like getting it done.

Stafford or Watson would be awesome. I just don't want anything to do with Rodgers.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

6 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Based on Rodgers performance against the Buccs I wonder if he's lost it already. That was an absolute embarrassment. Wasn't it three chances to win it after interceptions and just never looked like getting it done.

Stafford or Watson would be awesome. I just don't want anything to do with Rodgers.

I don't think it's fair to put the game all on Rodgers. Packers D did an absolutely terrible job in the first half. That inexcusable TD They gave up at the end of the first half was huge. Not to mention the two fumbles that were not on Rodgers either. Compounded with an interception that should've been a flag. The first half miscues coupled with immediately giving up the opening possession in the second half made the mountain to climb pretty high. Yeah scoring 6 off three interceptions is bad. But so was calling three passes in a row to the same receiver and not going for the TD at the end of the game. 

I would gladly take any of those three QBs

Edited by Florgon79
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I totally agree that it wasn't all on Rodgers but surely a Franchise QB (an NFL legend no less) puts the game away? Horrible ending. And yes I hate Brady, so that made it worse

Brady threw 3 interceptions to end the game. He shouldn't get any more credit for putting the game away than Rodgers gets for losing it. Rodgers played a better game overall imo. His teamates, defense and coach let him down whereas Brady's teamates, defense and coach helped him overcome his mistakes.

Also you can't put the game away when you were never leading it.

Edited by Florgon79

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I guarantee that LaFluer is ****ting his pants at the idea of having to move forward with Love. He is not the wunderkind that McVay is and he looked completely lost last night. 

If Rodgers goes, GB is in serious trouble.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

They spent a first rounder on Love and aren’t in a position for the top 5 QBs in the draft. If Rodgers goes they’re seeing what they have in him.

I’m shocked you replied to a post from me to disagree.

Even though I don’t see where I said Love wouldn’t get a look.

Edited by KDawg

53 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

The Packers never really gave him the weapons to just dominate and I'm willing to bet drafting Love last year and just festered some ill will.

Considering that pick could have been Patrick Queen, Chase Claypool, Jonathon Taylor, or Antoine Winfield Jr, yeah I bet he's not happy about it.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Wonder what impact this all has on the pukes and Dak. So many potential QB options and starter jobs up for grabs.

Yeah they know we are going big in the market for a QB, so they'll be planning a response. They obviously don't want to pay Dak what he's asking (rightly IMO) and it would be cheaper for them to pay Stafford than put the franchise tag on Dak, albeit losing the #10 pick in the process. Or they could try to trade up; there's potentially a bundle of compensatory picks coming their way unfortunately (https://overthecap.com/projecting-the-2021-compensatory-picks/)

45 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

I totally agree that it wasn't all on Rodgers but surely a Franchise QB (an NFL legend no less) puts the game away? Horrible ending. And yes I hate Brady, so that made it worse

Stafford hasn’t even had the chance to put a game away. What’s Watson done?

Again, I’m really not trying to slight either guy here. But I’m not sure why they’d be okay and Rodgers wouldn’t aside from age and Rodgers as a passer looks great.

• Like 1

I would think even if this trade is agreed upon we may not hear about it for a while because trades aren't official until March 17 (start of the new year).  I also think if it's the WFT that gets Stafford, they're going to want time to talk to Alex Smith.  I suppose quickly because Stafford and Smith share the same agent.

https://www.yahoo.com/now/trades-arranged-now-not-official-021106601.html

Trades can be arranged now, but they’re not official until March 17

Edited by HigSkin

Don't get me wrong I've loved watching Rodgers over the years. People are asking themselves why he's only won one Superbowl though. I think last night showed that. 

Do i want that for two first rounders? Absolutely not.

Watson's young so still improving. I also happen to agree with the view that Stafford has had crap to deal with for his entire career. There's more upside to both of them. Even if you disagree that Rodgers is getting old.