Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

16 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

That's exactly what the Browns have been doing for 30 years plus.....Maybe we should've taken Tua or Herbert this year? Some franchise QB's turn out that way because of the offensive systems they are in and the team put around them, others are just tremendous talents. Would you consider Cam Newton a franchise QB at this point and would you take him right now and for the next 5 years? I actually think I would....

I do and I think I would also.  Cam has taken a ton of hits over the past several years and isn’t what he was, but I still think he’s better than what we have.  Cam as a bridge to a developing QB works for me.  Gives us a few years to try to increase the talent around him and give a young guy some time to develop.   I think we kinda tried that with Alex but he got broke.  When what your doing isn’t working you have to try something different; we have proven what doesn’t work.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, ZarG3 said:

Honestly? Sign Cam to a one year deal, draft Trey Lance and let him sit for a year. He reminds me a lot like Mahomes.

I'd take a flyer on that

I think Cam is playing well enough that he is not going to sign a one year deal.    If you are signing Cam, and with his relationship to Rivera, its not inconceivable, its going to for something like a 4 year deal.

17 hours ago, evmiii said:

I can tell you what doesn’t work; going into every draft needing a QB.  Hit on one and the next 5 years you can pick talent to put around them.  Miss and start all over.  We just can’t seem to pick the right one.  Is it lousy scouting, horrible talent evaluation, owner meddling, desperation or maybe a bit of all of that.  I like Lawrence and Fields, but I don’t know if either of their games translates to the pros.  Haskins had a great year behind an offensive line that was better than about every defensive line they played and receivers that were 3 steps open on every route.  See how well that is working out.  Lawrence looks great beating up on lesser talent ACC schools and Fields is doing what Haskins did.  We are going to keep picking until we get it right.

Lawrence’s game is going to translate. That’s a fact just by watching him. You could see the questions with Haskins, not with Lawrence.

I’ve watched a lot of Lawrence’s games and there is no doubt he is a great prospect.  A couple of slight concerns:  (1) He very often throws to his first read (not his fault because his guys are always open), but you haven’t seen him do a lot of reading and finding third or fourth option.  (2). He works almost exclusively in the middle of the field (once again if it’s open take it, rarely if ever see him throw outside. (3). He feeds on weak DB’s, target rich environment in the ACC, he doesn’t look as good against quality DBs.  All that said, I’d take him without hesitation.  He will be the first pick of next years draft most likely to the New York Jets.

Fields looks good too behind a dominant OLine throwing to wide open future NFL receivers.  He has a strong arm and is a very good runner.  He seems to be a one read then run kinda guy but it is very effective.  I’m not sure if it’s a lingering thing from past OU guys, but I’m just not as high on Fields as the other two.  That said, he looks like a very good prospect and I wouldn’t be upset if we drafted him.

I just started watching film on Trey Lance and I must admit I am very impressed.  Great arm, great athlete, takes care of the ball.  Level of competition and his limited time as a starter are concerns.  Might be too tough for his on britches because he takes on too many tacklers and takes solid hits so he would definitely need to work on that at the next level or he will get killed.  With 3 years of eligibility left he will probably need a little more prep time, but I’m sure they would rush him ready or not.

Last prediction I read had the Washington Football Team picking 6th (not sure how they came to that conclusion because I’m not sure we win another game).  I’m still thinking second, third at the latest.  I don’t think Lawrence will be in play, but most likely Fields and Lance will be.  I think either guy will be a step in the right direction.  If we do pick 6th, I think Fields could be gone before that so we might be debating on Lance or the best player available.

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jacoby Brissett, Cam Newton. Maybe more.

Choices actually aren't bad for a fill-in, if we draft someone good

If I'm Dallas I am on the phone with Miami offering a 7th for Fitzmagic right now....he'd be great with that cast of WR's if the line can protect him. Hell, I wish he'd come here. 

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

There's Philip Rivers, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Jacoby Brissett, Cam Newton. Maybe more.

It’s possible these players maybe available via trade.

Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan and maybe even Aaron Rodgers.

• Thanks 1

On 10/21/2020 at 4:38 AM, Malapropismic Depository said:

20 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

It’s possible these players maybe available via trade.

Matt Stafford, Matt Ryan and maybe even Aaron Rodgers.

First, it's very possible the Jets never win a game this year.  Second, Lawrence might not want to play for the Jets and could play his Senior year (just saying).  The idea of getting Lawrence is not a reality...nor is this team ready for developing a rookie QB imo.  Now, the veteran options shouldn't include immobile QBs as they won't work in this scheme.  Throw Rivers out and add Jameis Winstton, who is currently enrolled in the NFL's Harvard Business School for QB's as NO backup.  Also throw out Rogers, as he's not going anywhere next year.  Matt Ryan doesn't fit and Fitz is old.  The current options will increase with a basket of other veterans getting chopped with a 2021 salary cap drop almost 20M where teams were banking on the projected increase. 

This might be the chance to spot fill a veteran QB and add OLine FA's and fill major LB'er issues along with a WR 1/2 and safety.  Then see what you've got in year 2.  

I think year 3 is where you're ready to develop a franchise QB. 

I’m gonna go with both and lean towards sitting the rookie the whole season in an attempt to win next year and have the team in a good position from a morale standpoint the following year. 

As I evolve as a fan and person, the more I like the idea of letting the rookie focus on the process of being a professional in year #1 without any external pressures to perform at subjective levels. 

• 1 month later...

I'm still with trading for Stafford.

I'm having a hard time believing we need a young rookie QB with the dlinr playing like this.

We could and should be trying to have a veteran QB on deck that doesn't get in the defense way and spend first rounders on weapons, not QBs.

We need a Brad Johnson 2002 Bucs QB or barely alive Manning when Broncos last won it. Ok, reaching, but you get my point.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 4

15 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm still with trading for Stafford.

I'm having a hard time believing we need a young rookie QB with the dlinr playing like this.

We could and should be trying to have a veteran QB on deck that doesn't get in the defense way and spend first rounders on weapons, not QBs.

We need a Brad Johnson 2002 Bucs QB or barely alive Manning when Broncos last won it. Ok, reaching, but you get my point.

If you grab a veteran, you may have trouble keeping some of these young guys currently on rookie contracts. I love Stafford but it worries me that his body has been taking a real beating the past two years in the midsection area (back last season, ribs this year). Ultimately, you either package picks to move up to take Wilson or you bring in a Stafford/Ryan. Potentially keep Alex as a bridge to Wilson but let him go if you are bringing a vet in

EDIT: I take that back. If you can pick up Stafford without eating any of the signing bonus (a solid assumption), he'll cost you $20M a season for the next two years (factoring in the roster bonus), which is actually very affordable and a bargain

Edited by method man
  • Like 2

Just now, method man said:

If you grab a veteran, you may have trouble keeping some of these young guys currently on rookie contracts. I love Stafford but it worries me that his body has been taking a real beating the past two years in the midsection area (back last season, ribs this year). Ultimately, you either package picks to move up to take Wilson or you bring in a Stafford/Ryan. Potentially keep Alex as a bridge to Wilson but let him go if you are bringing a vet in

If Ryan is cut loose in Atlanta he’d be a decent option I think. Problem is that he’s the anti Alex Smith when it comes to being a winner. But I think he’s be cheap, relatively speaking. 

Id rather roll with Smith/Allen/rookie though.

• Like 1

Just now, KDawg said:

If Ryan is cut loose in Atlanta he’d be a decent option I think. Problem is that he’s the anti Alex Smith when it comes to being a winner. But I think he’s be cheap, relatively speaking. 

Id rather roll with Smith/Allen/rookie though.

I'm confused, neither has won a super bowl, but at least Ryan has been.

I'm yet to believe Ryan is an option, but if he is he's better then Stafford, imo.

3 minutes ago, method man said:

True true.  Kinda hope lions shut him down even if can play, hes getting beat to a pulp up there, he's most likely to get moved. Lions getting nuked already.

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

I'm confused, neither has won a super bowl, but at least Ryan has been.

I'm yet to believe Ryan is an option, but if he is he's better then Stafford, imo.

True true.  Kinda hope lions shut him down even if can play, hes getting beat to a pulp up there, he's most likely to get moved. Lions getting nuked already.

He loses games up by 21, he doesn’t come back from them. 

Nothing to be confused about.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Straight up, you rather have Alex or Ryan right now?

Ryan never had a defense like ours, if still prefer Stafford, but Ryan to Terry is $$$

Right now? Alex. Why? He’s been here and knows the system and the guys know him.

All things equal between them? Ryan.

• Like 1

Ryan appears to be washed at this point. He'll be 36 at the start of next season so not much younger than Smith and by what people who follow the Falcons closer than we do tell me, he can't seem to make the same kind of throws consistently that he has in the past. I would not want him.

Stafford is a beast but why would the Lions just give him away? A new coach is gonna want to keep him so he can win right away.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Ryan appears to be washed at this point. He'll be 36 at the start of next season so not much younger than Smith and by what people who follow the Falcons closer than we do tell me, he can't seem to make the same kind of throws consistently that he has in the past. I would not want him.

Stafford is a beast but why would the Lions just give him away? A new coach is gonna want to keep him so he can win right away.

They will end up with a top 8 pick when it's all said and done. There could be a preference internally to get one of Wilson or Lance

• Like 1