Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, DWinzit said:

He was one of those prospects posters either really liked or really disliked.

Whoever the poster was who had family in a few front offices ridiculed me for liking the guy. He just has the "it" factor and a nice touch to his passes. But what the hell do I know??

1 minute ago, bowhunter said:

Whoever the poster was who had family in a few front offices ridiculed me for liking the guy. He just has the "it" factor and a nice touch to his passes. But what the hell do I know??

Yeah that was Volsmet. He hated him for whatever reason, haha. I don't think he has been around here for quite some time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

I didn't like him either.  While he did have what you describe...it didn't look like he had an NFL capable arm.  He really struggled to connect on some routes.  Like a Colt McCoy with a slightly weaker arm.

Watching certain posters in here actively talk themselves into whatever QB we’ve been connected to on Twitter most recently, day after day, is magical. Truly. I mean, it’s like watching the world mental gymnastics championship live. Incredible what we’re capable of, as a species, when we’re desperate for hope. We’re one tweet (from somebody with 700 followers) away from these people talking themselves into Blake Bortles as the answer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

I don’t think he’s either. I think he’s a pretty good QB that had little talent in Carolina. Outside of Robby Anderson his weapons are meh. I don’t care what people say about Samuel or Moore.

This is an extremely bad take. Moore is a top-15 WR in the league, possibly a top-10 though I wouldn’t put him there. You mentioned Robby Anderson, who we should have signed in FA. I’m not as high on Samuel as some but he’s a legit weapon in that system, even though his usage just encourages Bridgewater to play horizontally even more. He had plenty of talent even without CMC. Bridgewater is nothing special, he’s QB purgatory personified. And this is petty and pointless but purely aesthetically I hate watching him throw a football, the way it leaves ol’ Teddy Two-Gloves’ hand hurts me to watch, it’s like he pushes the ball rather than ripping it. 

10 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Watching certain posters in here actively talk themselves into whatever QB we’ve been connected to on Twitter most recently, day after day, is magical. Truly. I mean, it’s like watching the world mental gymnastics championship live. Incredible what we’re capable of, as a species, when we’re desperate for hope. We’re one tweet (from somebody with 700 followers) away from these people talking themselves into Blake Bortles as the answer. 

You got to remember Bortles was taken by Jacksonville.  Jacksonville is horrrble.  So the dude deserves a pass.  He was a high first round pick, 3rd overall pick just like that stud Sam Darnold.  You give him some spanking new coaching and watch what happens next....

McShay said not long ago that Darnold is maybe just a shade off of Watson's talent.  Also thought this about Bortles so we'd be good with either dude. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/nfl-draft/insider/post/_/id/3655

Bortles is top QB prospect for 2014

Mar 19, 2014
  • mcshay_todd.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Todd McShayESPN Senior Writer

I’ll throw in my usual pro-day qualifiers here -- that it’s important not to put too much stock into them because they are designed to be showcase events for the player, and that Jamarcus Russell’s pro day was the most impressive I’ve ever seen and Matt Ryan was underwhelming in his. Further, this wasn’t a perfect workout (Bortles was less accurate throwing to the left from the pocket, and less accurate when rolling out to his right), and Bortles isn’t a perfect QB prospect. But given how close of an evaluation I’ve given him and Louisville’s Teddy Bridgewater, being able to see the two of them live and in person this week served as something of a tiebreaker for me. The fact that Bortles was able to show progress in the area of his biggest weakness is significant.

...I think that Bortles is now the No. 1 QB prospect in this class, and I’ll be making that adjustment on my draft board shortly. The bottom line is that in watching these guys throw, specifically with regard to their ability to drive the ball downfield (an area of concern for both guys on tape), there was a noticeable difference between the two. There was a lot more energy on Bortles' throws.

I’ve said all along that Bortles has the higher upside of the two, and in making the strides he showed today he is already getting a lot closer to realizing that potential than I would have expected by this point. When you factor in that he has a thicker build and should be more durable than Bridgewater (6-foot-5, 232 pounds versus 6-2, 208) and the fact that Bortles has checked every box in terms of his intangibles, character, leadership ability and mental makeup (not that Bridgewater hasn’t, just pointing it out as another positive for Bortles), it turns things in favor of him as the top QB. He doesn’t have Matthew Stafford’s arm strength, but he does grade out as a top-10 talent in this draft class.

...Do you take an elite prospect at a position of need, or a top-10 talent at QB in Bortles? I had Bortles going No. 1 overall to Houston in my most recent mock draft, and I think you have to still consider him a potential top-five pick in this draft after the way he performed Wednesday.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Some of these guys should just stop acting like they're talent evaluators and report on the draft and what teams are telling them. McShay has some awful takes good gracious. 

I like reading mocks for entertainment purposes and some of the draft geek types sometimes do get nuggets that are interesting from teams. I post mock drafts a lot primarily for amusement.  But to me that's what it primarily is entertainment.

I recall some on the Haskins thread were trying to sell that Dan was right to take Haskins where he did because it jivved with mock drafts.  I thought that was a bit wild.  The mock draft media geeks get it wrong a ton on the draft especially at QB and they tend to like most big name QBs from big name schools.  They love the Brady Quinn types. 

Mel Kiper was so in love with Jimmy Clausen that he said if doesn't end up a franchise QB he'd quit his job.   He clearly never ended up quitting.  And Clausen wasn't even drafted in the first. 

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like reading mocks for entertainment purposes and some of the draft geek types sometimes do get nuggets that are interesting from teams. I post mock drafts a lot primarily for amusement.  But to me that's what it primarily is entertainment.

I recall some on the Haskins thread were trying to sell that Dan was right to take Haskins where he did because it jivved with mock drafts.  I thought that was a bit wild.  The mock draft media geeks get it wrong a ton on the draft especially at QB and they tend to like most big name QBs from big name schools.  They love the Brady Quinn types. 

Mel Kiper was so in love with Jimmy Clausen that he said if doesn't end up a franchise QB he'd quit his job.   He clearly never ended up quitting.  And Clausen wasn't even drafted in the first. 

Same here, I even like doing the mock draft simulations myself because I just think they're fun and I like seeing who's there by chance. I've just come to realize that a lot of these talking heads sometimes go way deeper than they're qualified for, but I get it, it's for entertainment purposes like you said. 

I actually like WalterFootball a lot due to the fact that they typically don't move players up and down their big board until they start getting insights from teams. They're not reactive, but their website is trash and outdated as hell. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Let's say Eagles trade Wentz.  Cowboys think the Eagles will take the last good at QB at #6.  They don't want that so they trade up to #5 for that QB while letting Dak walk.

That's about the only logic I can think of for the Cowboys not franchise tagging Dak.

FA is before the draft.

By the time the draft rolls around Dak will either:

a) Have a fat new contract from Dallas

b) Have a franchise tag from Dallas

c) Happily be on his new team for about a month

Cowboys choice to tag Dak will have to come before FA and before the draft (3/9). They can not play things out to see how it goes, provided Dak signs the tag. 

If D does not have a QB come draft day, then the whole world would know their intentions. Might be enough to cause another team to jump up to secure their guy. 

We are guaranteed to get a very big piece in the Dak destination puzzle in about a month due to the tag deadline.

1 hour ago, Wyvern said:

I think WFT could sign Dalton for between 4-6 million, as an adequate placeholder QB.  I'm not certain how durable Smith, Allen or Heinicke are, but Dalton was at least somewhat durable.  If Smith retires, Washington could pursue more expensive QBs.

From what I saw, Dalton could probably fit into Turner's offense -- essentially as a game manager, while Washington tries to find its franchise QB.

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I gotta say, if Carolina is looking for a new QB, i'll gladly take Bridgewater off their hands.

a27d24_230aee2e09c641a29e089fd2b121098b~

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I didn't see this posted from Breer.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2021/02/08/mmqb-super-bowl-lv-tom-brady-tampa-bay-buccaneers-champions

The Nathan Peterman signing didn’t make waves, but don’t ignore it. The Raiders gave the 26-year-old a one-year deal that could approach $3 million to stay in Vegas. That was after inking journeyman Kyle Sloter to a futures deal. And on the face of it, these moves don’t mean much. But they’re exactly the sorts of things you’d do if you were looking at the idea of moving one of the higher-priced players at the position you have off your roster. Starter Derek Carr has no guarantees left on his deal, no prorated bonus money that would hit the cap if he’s moved and is on the books for $19.625 million this year and $19.878 million next year, which are affordable numbers if you’re another team looking for an experienced starter who can give you middle-of-the-league quarterback play. Backup Marcus Mariota, likewise, carries no dead money, and he’s under contract for a nonguaranteed $10.1 million for 2021, in case someone is looking for a Ryan Tannehill–style reclamation project in the one-time starter who was unseated by Tannehill himself. Right there, you have a couple players who might bring back value in a trade, without the Raiders having to worry about any sort of cap implications. So where are the Raiders right now? While there were rumors floating around that the asking price for Carr was two first-round picks last week, I was told pretty emphatically that Carr isn’t available. But the Raiders will listen on Mariota and he could be the sort project that could intrigue a team looking for a quarterbacking bargain (the Patriots?).

I believe Sam Darnold is in play. First, what I know: Four teams have called the Jets to inquire about Darnold’s availability. Each was met with an interesting response, told that the team, with its new coaching staff getting its footing, is still evaluating the quarterback position. That, of course, is not a “no.” And it is true that new offensive coordinator Mike LaFleur and his lieutenants have been taking Jets GM Joe Douglas and his scouts through all the ins and outs of what they want schematically, and what they look for in players individually. Now, for what I think: Douglas, and his scouting brain trust of Rex Hogan, Phil Savage and Chad Alexander have had time to get a really good look at BYU’s Zach Wilson, Ohio State’s Justin Fields and North Dakota State’s Trey Lance, and even if they don’t know them yet as well as they’ll need to in April, the fact that dealing Darnold is a consideration tells you that they’re at least intrigued by something there. The interesting thing is the 23-year-old Darnold is only two years older than Fields and Wilson, and three years older than Lance. And it’d be very easy for another to look at Darnold, and the situation he was in, and deduce that the still-raw talent he’s got can very much be harvested. Which, then, could lead to Douglas having the ability to get even more draft capital to work with to surround a quarterback taken with the second pick. That is, of course, assuming that Deshaun Watson isn’t in play in a few weeks. Either way, the Jets are in a decent spot here, regardless of where they decide to go. And right now? Right now, if I’m a team that prefers Darnold to, say, Mariota or Wentz, I’m probably holding tight on making a big quarterback move.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Does a player have to sign the franchise tag?

No they do not

But they are not eligible to play anywhere else if they don't, unless they pull a Leveon Bell and sit out while.

The chances of Dak not signing a tag are slimmer than the chances he wont be on Dallas next year.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thanks 1