Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

1 minute ago, Guard Bum said:

For what Watson will cost in draft capital the team that gets him better be ready to win right now.  I really like DW but I’m not ready to mortgage the future for him; we still have too many holes.

I think Stafford is a good fit, but I wouldn’t get in a bidding war for him either.  His age plus medical history has to keep the price tag reasonable for this to be worthwhile.  A second and one of our thirds would be a great deal, but I think it’s going to cost more than that to get him.  His back injury scares me enough I wouldn’t go any higher.

I think picking up a free agent like Winston, Newton or similar and a good early draft(1-3 rounds) is the best path.  Bring them in to compete with the beer man and Allen (assuming he is healthy) and look for our potential franchise QB with a later round developmental pick or next year.

All this could change depending on the draft, if someone the team likes (Young, Jones) falls to #19 we jump and go on from there.

Lots of rambling to say I don’t think we are just a good QB away from winning a Super Bowl.  We definitely need one but not at the expense of all our other needs.

A great or elite QB analytically produces the most wins on their own out of any players in the league. That's why you go all in for a guy like Watson and don't hope you can skirt by with mediocre FAs or an underwhelming first rounder in Mac Jones.

2 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

He knows Watson is gone. He took the job because nobody else would.

Texans could have possibly had Watson stay had they waited on Bienemy to hire him as HC after the SB.  They failed to do so.

16 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

A great or elite QB analytically produces the most wins on their own out of any players in the league. That's why you go all in for a guy like Watson and don't hope you can skirt by with mediocre FAs or an underwhelming first rounder in Mac Jones.

Has Watson done that?  Houston won 4 games last year.

Is Deshaun Watson elite already in most everyone’s view? If so, what are the qualifications to being elite?  

The stat I am indulging in, but admit the spectrum of my knowledge is in early stages is the QB and the amount of times there teams were top 10 or 5 in scoring. Watson has not led a top 10 scoring offense to date:

2020: #18

2019: #14

2018: #11

Not an end all be all stat in the least, but worth some mention. And even guys like Rodgers and Brady have years out of the top 10, but many years they’ve been in the top 10, 5, and number 1. 

This stat should be mentioned more and right up there with TD to INT ratio when evaluating the QB. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, JoggingGod said:

Exactly. You can always sign an average QB but then don't hope for championships or any sort of sustained success. 

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Is Deshaun Watson elite already most everyone’s view? If so, what are the qualifications to being elite?  

The stat I am indulging in, but admit the spectrum of my knowledge is in early stages is the QB and the amount of times there teams were top 10 or 5 in scoring. Watson has not led a top 10 scoring offense to date:

2020: #18

2019: #14

2018: #11

Not an end all be all stat in the least, but worth some mention. And even guys like Rodgers and Brady have years out of the top 10, but many years they’ve been in the top 10, 5, and number 1. 

I think this stat should be mentioned more and right up there with TD to INT ratio. 

Watson is elite. Don’t overthink it.

Going off team stats is like saying we have an elite secondary because of where our defense finished.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ksun247 said:

I think we should target Jameis Winston. He's a free agent. He got LASIK eye surgery to correct his vision. He spent a year watching and learning behind Drew Brees. He'll be a cheaper option and we don't have to give up draft picks. 

LOL that LASIX surgery can correct 7 years of poor decision making.  

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Breaking: Elite NFL QB Contracts Are High

They're also not necessary, to be a winner.

And also, not a guarantee for success, either.

You can win a Super Bowl with a non-elite QB.

See Nick Foles, for the most recent example

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

Just now, Malapropismic Depository said:

They're also not necessary, to be a winner

The teams that are perennial contenders all have top QBs. You might have a one-off every so often where a team with a mediocre QB and everything else is dominant might win. But if you want to be a contender year in and year out you have to have a top QB.

And those cost money. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

The teams that are perennial contenders all have top QBs. You might have a one-off every so often where a team with a mediocre QB and everything else is dominant might win. But if you want to be a contender year in and year out you have to have a top QB.

And those cost money. 

1 minute ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Kinda is though. 

See: every team that made the conference championship games last week

It depends on the individual team's philosophy, talent type, chemistry, coaching, etc etc.

Attempting to copy other teams' success isn't necessarily the answer, because it's not an exact science, and there is no single recipe. There are way too many variables in what goes into winning, than to make a blanket statement, that you can't win without a Top 5 QB.  Contending for the SB is like a perfect storm of factors.

You can point to the teams who won Super Bowls with elite QB's, but on the flip side, there are far more teams with elite QB's, who did NOT do well as a team.

7 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It depends on the individual team's philosophy, talent type, chemistry, coaching, etc etc.

Attempting to copy other teams' success isn't necessarily the answer, because it's not an exact science, and there is no single recipe. There are way too many variables in what goes into winning, than to make a blanket statement, that you can't win without a Top 5 QB.  Contending for the SB is like a perfect storm of factors.

You can point to the teams who won Super Bowls with elite QB's, but on the flip side, there are far more teams with elite QB's, who did NOT do well as a team.

There may not be one single recipe, but in the NFL the one single ingredient that's in the consistently successful recipes is a top QB.

I'm not taking crazy pills here or anything. Literally the entire freakin' NFL knows this. You can see it in what they say and how they draft. Hell, even people who hardly watch football know this.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

There may not be one single recipe, but in the NFL the one single ingredient that's in the consistently successful recipes is a top QB.

I'm not taking crazy pills here or anything. Literally the entire freakin' NFL knows this. You can see it in what they say and how they draft. Hell, even people who hardly watch football know this.

I'm not taking crazy pills either. I'm just looking at the unbiased facts. And not assuming what the NFL believes, based on my opinion or any other fan's opinion - especially fans who "hardly watch football".

Foles is far, far from the only example. Especially if you look at the great Super Bowl teams, who didn't necessarily win it all.

Less than a year ago, you had Garrapolo in the big game.

The year before, Goff made it (the guy who already may have lost his job to UDFA John Wolford).

Year before that was Foles.

Year before that, there's Matt Ryan.

Year before that was Cam Newton - the guy who couldn't even create a winning record with a team that was literally built to win Super Bowls, for multiple decades.

A few years before that, you had a Super Bowl with Flacco and Kaepernick.

Seriously, I could go on and on, as long as necessary.

Let's not act like Nick Foles is some kind of rare exception, like a Yellow-bellied, purple haired, 2-headed Okapi.

If you take an honest look, there are a lot of them

Edited by Malapropismic Depository