Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

15 minutes ago, TheShredder said:

This is the ideal scenario.  The Problem is two fold.  How long is it going to take to know if you've drafted well?  Like Buffalo, do you have 2 yrs to develop a guy while the rest of your roster ages and big second contracts start coming.  Realistic to view the coveted DL as an annual big second contract cap eater...Allen's due anytime now, followed by Payne, then Sweat and the Monster Deal with Chase to finish it off.  Can you wait 2-3 yrs on a rookie in 2021 by trading up from #19?  If you're doing that, then you can't miss or you're screwed.  I think they're already screwed by the Haskins pick failure on drafting a rookie.  They're definitely making some plans up there.  I don't think you can afford to miss on a QB situation like a huge contract for the wrong guy (ie, Goff, Wentz, etc.).   This is why the thread is so popular. 

You can’t afford to miss on the roster around the guy you trade for.

Trading for the guy, in a vacuum, is NOT the issue. It’s using an absurd amount of assets to do it that’s the issue.

Stafford for a 1&3 is not perfect but it’s a good deal for a good quarterback that can change the outlook of the roster and allow FAs to see the quarterback solidified. Derek Carr is a level below but would be similar.

Watson is a tremendous get and well respected and would bring you perhaps more rep than Stafford... but losing, say, three firsts and 2 seconds and a third is crippling. You need rookies to replace guys coming off rookie contracts. 

To me the ideal big name get QB is Prescott for us. Depending on what he wants contract wise... it could get out of hand and then that premise changes. But I’d rather get the cap hit than a similar cap hit and giving up crazy assets.

Stafford is right there, too. Stafford is your first rounder plus the third and his cap hit is likely less than Dak. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Trading for the guy, in a vacuum, is NOT the issue. It’s using an absurd amount of assets to do it that’s the issue.

Stafford for a 1&3 is not perfect but it’s a good deal for a good quarterback that can change the outlook of the roster and allow FAs to see the quarterback solidified. Derek Carr is a level below but would be similar.

Watson is a tremendous get and well respected and would bring you perhaps more rep than Stafford... but losing, say, three firsts and 2 seconds and a third is crippling. You need rookies to replace guys coming off rookie contracts. 

To me the ideal big name get QB is Prescott for us. Depending on what he wants contract wise... it could get out of hand and then that premise changes. But I’d rather get the cap hit than a similar cap hit and giving up crazy assets.

Stafford is right there, too. Stafford is your first rounder plus the third and his cap hit is likely less than Dak. 

Do you think Cowboys will not tag Prescott with exclusive franchise tag?  That would be interesting.  Would you prefer Stafford with 1st & 3rd, Prescott with two first, or Watson with 3 first and let's say one second for the sake of the hypothetical?

Edited by bearrock

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

Dak...you should go gargle, wash your mouth out.  JJ will pay him.  :cheers:

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Does DH = Deshaun Watson?? Struggling to follow your point about the run game. 

Put me in the camp Mahomes would do just fine without either guy. They have extra cheetahs ready to run the 9 route lol. 

Yeah. Don't know why i put DH.

Anyways, my point is the offense there was putrid primarily because of how bad the run game is. The team did him no favors by basically forcing him to pick up the first down with his arm. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Do you think Cowboys will not tag Prescott with exclusive franchise tag?  That would be interesting.  Would you prefer Stafford with 1st & 3rd, Prescott with two first, or Watson with 3 first and let's say one second for the sake of the hypothetical?

1 minute ago, TheShredder said:

Dak...you should go gargle, wash your mouth out.  JJ will pay him.  :cheers:

Dak won’t get away from Dallas. I agree there. Once he’s tagged he is no longer a potential target and Stafford is the best available for us as far as value:cost ratio.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Watson, Stafford, Dak in that order......I think we can win a SB with Stafford if we build right around him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So I heard an interview with him on NFL.com with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller stated he has a much stronger arm than advertised. He saw him make some throws in person that showed he has more there if he needs it. I have not seen him much but I was impressed with his interview. He talked about watching a lot of current pros and tried to emulate them both in terms of game play and work ethic and preparation. He mentioned Tom of course. He seemed really humble but hungry.   Also, when the guy above says he has a lot of good throws at 40 yds but he gets shaky after 45, how many times you throw past 45 yds? I know people get frothy over a cannon for an arm. But not all successful QBs have had rockets. 

Not endorsing him or suggesting we should take him. Just seems like there is more to him than is being discussed. 

• Like 1

I'll say this if we end up with Stafford they did a masterful job of playing it below the radar.  Outside of Fowler last weekend, no one has mentioned they know if we are in or out on Stafford. 

Just now, goskins10 said:

So I heard an interview with him on NFL.com with Jim Miller and Pat Kirwan and Jim Miller stated he has a much stronger arm than advertised. He saw him make some throws in person that showed he has more there if he needs it. I have not seen him much but I was impressed with his interview. He talked about watching a lot of current pros and tried to emulate them both in terms of game play and work ethic and preparation. He mentioned Tom of course. He seemed really humble but hungry.   Also, when the guy above says he has a lot of good throws at 40 yds but he gets shaky after 45, how many times you throw past 45 yds? I know people get frothy over a cannon for an arm. But not all successful QBs have had rockets. 

Not endorsing him or suggesting we should take him. Just seems like there is more to him than is being discussed. 

I've seen him play live too.  I've put plenty of positive info on this thread and another thread on Jones.   I'll put the negative on, too.  I am a professed agnostic on Jones.  I go back and forth on him.   I can't quite make up my mind.  I've gone into a lot of detail on the draft thread about what I like and what I don't about him.  I don't have the energy to repeat it here.    I'll say I am confounded by Mac Jones still.  😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PartyPosse said:

Yeah. Don't know why i put DH.

Anyways, my point is the offense there was putrid primarily because of how bad the run game is. The team did him no favors by basically forcing him to pick up the first down with his arm. 

#18 in scoring isn’t out of his normal, he’s been #11 and 14 in his other two seasons starting. Had a top ranked defense in other two seasons. Like I’ve said, purely stat hunting as I’ve only seen his highlights for much of his time in the NFL. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 1

https://www.inquisitr.com/6466200/colts-frontrunner-matthew-stafford/

The Indianapolis Colts are still seen as the frontrunner to land Matthew Stafford despite the strong interest and motivation on the part of the San Francisco 49ers, a league insider says.

Stafford is suddenly available after reportedly asking the Detroit Lions for a trade, with the team agreeing and starting to listen to offers. While there have been close to a dozen teams connected to Stafford, the NFL Network’s Daniel Jeremiah said he believes the Colts will be the one to land the Pro Bowler.

Appearing on The Pat McAfee Show, Jeremiah said that from the very first reports that Stafford wanted out of Detroit, he believed the Colts would be the ones to land him. He admitted it caused some doubt when San Francisco reportedly jumped into the mix, but not enough to put him off of his initial assessment.

“At first, when I heard the Niners were in it, I was like ‘Okay, this is the Lions needing to get out the other suitor to try to get a little more from the Colts.’ That’s where my mind went, but now it’s like, ‘Shoot. from what you’re saying, it sounds like they’ve made it pretty far down the road there with the Niners,’ ” he said, via the SB Nation blog Stampede Blue.

“But that’s where I expected Stafford to go.”

As Stampede Blue noted, there are reports that the 49ers offered a pair of second-round picks and pair of third-round picks in exchange for Stafford, though some have pegged the asking price much higher. Multiple teams are reportedly prepared to offer at least a first-rounder in exchange for Stafford, a return that would be more in line with other recent trades featuring similar players at or near their prime.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

56 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow, really??! 5.5 wins?? That’s incredible...maybe I underestimated the Clemson boy...my hatred for Clemson may have skewed my biases...

30 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who has won this award at n previous years? Interesting to see how it translates

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

How is that possible?...I’ve got a better arm than that...and I’m 50 yo 

53 minutes ago, wit33 said:

#18 in scoring isn’t out of his normal, he’s been #11 and 14 in his other two seasons starting. Had a top ranked defense in other two seasons. Like I’ve said, purely stat hunting as I’ve only seen his highlights for much of his time in the NFL. 

He's also had a different leading rusher for every year and none of them lasted long with the team. Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde and David Johnson. 

23 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

He's also had a different leading rusher for every year and none of them lasted long with the team. Lamar Miller, Carlos Hyde and David Johnson. 

However, none of them did anything after leaving Houston either 

Edited by Lovi
Autocorrection

I don't think Stafford wants to got to the AFC simply because they have arguably they have Maholmes, Watson (for now), Allen, Herbert, Lawrence, Lamar.  It's loaded at QB.  Compare that to the NFC who has Wilson and the old guard of Brady, Rodgers , and that's it.  

Look at the NFC QBs:

Philly (Wentz and Hurts are questioned at best regarding their elite status)

Giants (Jones is so so)

Dallas (Dak is really good, but is he resigning long term?)

US (Hey, Heineke was really good in 5 quarters)

GB (Rodgers is still great, but is aging)

Lions (He's leaving)

Bears (have nothing)

Vikings (Kirk is empty calories)

Saints (Winston and Hill are nothing special)

Panthers (Bridgwater is below average)

Falcons (Ryan is aging)

Bucs (Brady is great, but is aging)

Cards (Murray is young and improving, but the more you play against him, his height restricts his greatness)

49ers (have nothing special)

Rams (Goff has regressed)

Seattle (Wilson is elite)

We trade for Stafford, and we can win in a hurry.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I want us to get Stafford but I do not believe we will get him.  A report today says the Rams and Lions are talking about trading quarterbacks.

I am afraid that Mayhew knowing Stafford may not help us land him.   If Stafford did not like Mayhew's drafts with the Lions then I am sure

he will tell his agent that he prefers to avoid Washington.  While the Lions control where he will go, they will probably listen to which teams Stafford

would like to avoid.  At least ten teams in the off season will be searching for a different quarterback than what they had during 2020 season.

1 hour ago, wit33 said:

Are you talking about Deshaun Watson? He had horrible Ds behind him. 2018 they were below average and in 2019 they were among the worst in every category. Same with 2020. Not sure why people think the Texans had great Ds the last few years but they did not and Watson still go them to 10-6 in 2018 and 11-5 in 2019. O'Brien gutted the team this past season and the D got worse. 

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Darnold...

I regularly listen to the Mcshay and Kiper First draft podcast and those guys were still loving Darnold!  They said Watson isn't that much better than him and they (if they were running the Jets) would not draft QB at 2 and instead would either take a WR or a T to help Darnold.  

Darnold is worth at best a 3rd (frankly, I'd give at most a 4th for him).

25 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Are you talking about Deshaun Watson? He had horrible Ds behind him. 2018 they were below average and in 2019 they were among the worst in every category. Same with 2020. Not sure why people think the Texans had great Ds the last few years but they did not and Watson still go them to 10-6 in 2018 and 11-5 in 2019. O'Brien gutted the team this past season and the D got worse. 

Defense Number 4 in points in 2019 and lost WC. 

Defense Number 19 in points in 2018 and lost in divisional round. 

But you’re right, it’s not as if he’s had a good defense consistently.