Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for "Next Season"??? (I didn't bump this, but I ended up being wrong anyway....)

Renegade7

Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season(2021)???  

227 members have voted

1. 1. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)???

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2
  2. 2. Rookie QB or Veteran QB for next season (2021)??? - (Feb 2020)

• Draft QB first round
    • Rookie QB from outside first round
    • Sign FA Veteran
    • Trade for Veteran
    • Stand Pat with one of the QBs we have on Roster, draft QB in 2022 Draft iinstead
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • I'm tired of 5 year development plans burned to the ground in less then 2

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well...maybe we can all agree, or most of us agree on this : out of all the current QB's on our roster : Allen, Smith, Heinicke, and Montez - Heinicke is the one QB who is most likely on our roster next year. He may not be the "Starter in the building". But he's virtually a lock to be on the team - at least come TC.

One of these guys, or maybe 2, or even 3, will be the odd man out. But we definitely won't keep all 4, and maybe not even 3, or even 2 of them.

I can easily envision any of the other 3 QB's being let go, besides Heiny

Depending on health, Allen is probably more of a lock than Heinicke at this point. Remember, Rivera traded for Allen specifically. Heinicke was brought in off the street when we didn't have enough guys to be QB. 

I'm not a huge fan of Allen (I think he's an average QB) but he did look pretty decent in the games he was in. Just as good as Heinicke and with similar numbers.

4 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Well...maybe we can all agree, or most of us agree on this : out of all the current QB's on our roster : Allen, Smith, Heinicke, and Montez - Heinicke is the one QB who is most likely on our roster next year. He may not be the "Starter in the building". But he's virtually a lock to be on the team - at least come TC.

One of these guys, or maybe 2, or even 3, will be the odd man out. But we definitely won't keep all 4, and maybe not even 3, or even 2 of them.

While I get your general point, I'd say Allen is a virtual lock to be back. He's cheap, a restricted rights free agent, and the team seems to love him. He's the guy most likely to be back. Heinicke as a free agent, could sign anywhere. I think  he'll be back but Allen is a virtual lock. Heinicke is an unknown.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Both Keim and Finlay think they'd be in for Watson.  It's fun thought but it seems way to wild of a possibility to get that jazzed about. 

I don't know man. Neither Stafford nor Watson has ever played for Carolina. 😛

It's funny, for years we've had "Connections" with different NFC South teams.

With Bruce, those Tampa connections were always getting us Bucs players and coaches.

So, obviously Rivera is extracting everything from Carolina.

But really, I guess that's the norm for teams rebuilding with a new coach, right ? I mean, has anyone ever known an organization to build without nepotism ?

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think both Allen and Heinicke are locks.  When Rivera was asked if they could have had that run this year without Alex and he said yeah if Allen stayed healthy -- that seemed to be a nice plug for Allen.   

I am as into what i saw from Heinicke as anyone.  I even got my kid one of the Heinicke legend shirts being sold on NFL.com.  :ols:  I am personally most intrigued by Heinicke among the current QBs we got.   

But hearing that they are all in on finding a new QB1 and have concerns about Heinicke's durability is all I needed to hear.    Maybe what we got with Heinicke is a backup who is fun and can win games in short stints.  Sort of what some thought of Colt McCoy in the sense that he has a small frame and is brittle but could play in a pinch -- Heinicke looks to be at a minimum that  but a better player than Colt.  i don't know.  But unless i hear Ron say hey we got our guy and its Tyler, i am assuming they got concerns about him.

I think you got at least a 50-50 chance to have a real QB battle with Heinicke in the mix because I think there is a real shot we don't come out of the off season with an obvious QB1 albeit I hope i am wrong about that. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Depending on health, Allen is probably more of a lock than Heinicke at this point. Remember, Rivera traded for Allen specifically. Heinicke was brought in off the street when we didn't have enough guys to be QB. 

I'm not a huge fan of Allen (I think he's an average QB) but he did look pretty decent in the games he was in. Just as good as Heinicke and with similar numbers.

3 minutes ago, Jericho said:

While I get your general point, I'd say Allen is a virtual lock to be back. He's cheap, a restricted rights free agent, and the team seems to love him. He's the guy most likely to be back. Heinicke as a free agent, could sign anywhere. I think  he'll be back but Allen is a virtual lock. Heinicke is an unknown.

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think both Allen and Heinicke are locks.

Yea, within just one minute of my original post, I had edited it, to clarify that Allen is much more likely to stay, than not. So that, I fully agree with

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, within just one minute of my original post, I had edited it, to clarify that Allen is much more likely to stay, than not. So that, I fully agree with

The most clear I can make my point on Heinicke is:  if I heard Rivera say that's our guy, I'll back him 100% and join you in debating whomever if they disagree with it. 

Rivera is my guide on Heinicke.  If he wants a new QB1 then so do I.  If he doesn't and is satisfied with Heinicke, then i'll back him on that too. 

• Like 3

Just now, mistertim said:

Interesting how it was all "COLTS have inside track!" "49ERS are on the way to getting Stafford" for a few days now it's like ".....oh, and Washington may be around somewhere too..."

My guess is because of the uncertainty at our GM position. For a while, noone knew who our GM was going to be, until recently, so that made it hard for people to predict how and if we trade. And yes, Rivera is basically the decision maker, but I still imagine the new GM will have some sort of role in things like trades for a QB

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Interesting how it was all "COLTS have inside track!" "49ERS are on the way to getting Stafford" for a few days now it's like ".....oh, and Washington may be around somewhere too..."

Yeah we are stating to pop up more now all of a sudden.  It makes me think it might be some other team than lands him now -- Denver?  😀

@wit33's point that he's made recently which I agree is a possibility -- Stafford might not love the idea of coming here.  If so maybe Rivera and company need to talk Stafford's agent into it?    The Lions have been a dumpster fire for a long time but so have we.  I am not sure a 7-9 season will for sure convince Stafford things have turned around.   We have certainly some promise as a team but we are no juggernaut quite yet.   And heck the Lions even beat us head to head this season.   Then you add to that pile Dan's reputation and the current NFL investigation -- it doesn't all paint the prettiest picture that he's escaping dysfunction to head to the promised land.  

Solak from Draft Network

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Well if Denver wants him that means Elway wants him. And every QB Elway wants ends up sucking. So if they want Stafford, I no longer do because that must mean he sucks. 

Well then, neither do I want him. Because we need a mobile QB. And Stafford is not very mobile...like compared to the Super Mobile Taylor Heinicke

<SARCASM>

A deal to send Matthew Stafford to a new NFL home could be completed shortly.

Detroit Lions coach Dan Campbell on Saturday told Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press the club has received “quite a few offers” for Stafford, who spent his first 12 seasons with the organization.

Recently, Stafford and the Lions agreed a split is in the best interest of both sides. The Free Press reports approximately one-third of teams in the NFL have spoken to the Lions, who are under new direction with Campbell and first-year general manager Brad Holmes.

The 49ers, along with Indianapolis and Washington, are considered among the interested parties, according to the report. There was no indication as of Friday evening the 49ers and Lions were close to a deal.

The Los Angeles Rams are also reportedly involved. (Holmes most recently was the Rams' director of college scouting.) And the New England Patriots might be a strong contender, too.

"It’s pretty hot and heavy right now," Campbell told the Free Press. "We’ve got quite a few offers and so it looks like we’ve got some trade partners, we’re just trying to work out the best scenario and see what’s best for us, ultimately.

"I mean, we’re mindful of trying to give him what he wants as well, but he also knows that, listen, we’re going to find the best value for the Detroit Lions and what’s best for us. That’s kind of what we’re doing."

The Free Press reports the level of league-wide interest in Stafford suggests the Lions could receive at least a first-round draft pick.

The 49ers’ first-round pick for the 2021 draft is at No. 12 overall. The 49ers’ only other scheduled pick in the top 100 is at No. 43 overall.

Stafford, who turns 33 on Super Bowl Sunday, would cost his new team the affordable rates of $20 million and $23 million over the final two years of his contract.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/report-lions-getting-close-trading-quarterback-matthew-stafford

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still looking for whatever "Carolina Connection" that Stafford has.

oh - here it is

According to wikipedia, while still in college, Matthew Stafford once took a drive in his off time, to see family, leaving his Georgia Bulldogs dorm, and ended up taking a wrong turn and getting lost and crossed the North Carolina border and then stopped at a NC rest stop near Charlotte, to ask for directions to get back.

So, there you have it.

Clearly, now he's Washington-bound.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

If that were the offer it would already have been accepted.

I guess part my thought process is I'd rather give two 1's than a 1 and a player. If we only need to give up a 1 and a 2 then great.

Throw in Landon Collins for ****s and giggles.

Edited by lavar1156

2 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I would give two 1's for Stafford. No more. Assuming he's good next year's 1st will be pretty low.

If it's true that the 49ers were trying to not give up their 1st round pick this year then I see almost no way they get two 1sts for him. 

22 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I am not advocating or promoting the idea, but just asking out of curiosity : is there anyone mentioning Garappolo as a possibility ? Either by fans or media, etc

I’ve suggested that I think he’ll be one of our second level options if we don’t get Stafford.

That observation didn’t go down well....:ols:

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, mistertim said:

If it's true that the 49ers were trying to not give up their 1st round pick this year then I see almost no way they get two 1sts for him. 

I feel like limited QB supply and high demand will ultimately result in Stafford going to a strong haul for Detroit. Possibly two 1s. I’d be shocked if anyone lands him without a 1st rounder being included. No way SF is even in the conversation without parting with their 1st. 

26 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Still looking for whatever "Carolina Connection" that Stafford has.

oh - here it is

According to wikipedia, while still in college, Matthew Stafford once took a drive in his off time, to see family, leaving his Georgia Bulldogs dorm, and ended up taking a wrong turn and getting lost and crossed the North Carolina border and then stopped at a NC rest stop near Charlotte, to ask for directions to get back.

So, there you have it.

Clearly, now he's Washington-bound.

Is it like the six degrees of Kevin Bacon? Of course there's the obvious connection. Matthew Stafford was drafted in Detroit by General manager Martin Mayhew, who was hired in Washington by Ron Rivera, who himself coached at Carolina. Does that count? 😛

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I would give two 1's for Stafford. No more. Assuming he's good next year's 1st will be pretty low.

If he were 28, I might do that deal but he's 33 and not worth that much.  We gave Fuller and a 3rd for Alex Smith from the Chiefs and he was a 3x Pro Bowler while Stafford has only been a Pro Bowler once.

Wonder if Dan has a QB in mind.  😧

“Every year that I was there, we had a pretty good draft class, with a couple exceptions,” former coach Jay Gruden said. “[Smith] was really good about listening to the coaches because the coaches also did evaluations. ... When it came our time to pick, we’d always talk about the picks, where we’d like to go, what happens if [the player] is gone, and did all our scenarios. And then [owner Daniel Snyder] would come in off his yacht and make the pick.”

That pick, of course, was quarterback Dwayne Haskins, who was selected by Snyder against the wishes of Washington’s personnel department in 2019. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/01/29/kyle-smith-atlanta-falcons-washington-football-team/

9 minutes ago, RWJ said:

If he were 28, I might do that deal but he's 33 and not worth that much.  We gave Fuller and a 3rd for Alex Smith from the Chiefs and he was a 3x Pro Bowler while Stafford has only been a Pro Bowler once.

Pro bowl doesn't mean squat.  Are you saying Alex > Stafford?  

Top rankings picked by fellow players, Stafford was ranked not long ago #31.   it's a miracle for us to typically get a player in the top 50 let alone a QB.  Alex at the peak of his powers peaked at 81, sounds about right. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise