Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Cleveland

KDawg

Gotta question how Ron evaluated this roster.

Anyone that watched the games last season knew:

Left side of O-line needed to be addressed (esp after you let the LG walk, and traded the LT)

Apke is not a viable starter

Collins needs to be in the box

Why would the team live/die by the play of an almost rookie QB?  Just doesn't make sense that we didn't fill holes (especially on the o-line) with competent dudes.  Why make his job harder to learn the position? 

Doesn't matter to me whether he's the guy or not, how is that an ideal learning environment??  

Maybe we should force feed the running game kind of like the Browns.  It may be boring but it should limit the mistakes of a young QB and maybe help our line since they can concentrate on one thing.  I really don't understand some of what is going on with this team though.  Like others, I'm having trouble understanding the game plan at the end of games. 

I also feel like our D-line is overrated.  I remember when the Bears traded for that Mack guy and he completely dominated games after the trade.  I kind of expected our D-line to be like that but while they do get some pressure, they aren't nearly as dominant as I expected.  Lots of first round picks and not all that much to show for it.  While we could blame the previous D-coordinator for the so-so results before not much of an excuse now.  Sure, we did well against the Eagles with a depleted line but whatever... They should blitz more, imo, to get more pressure.   Also, I had been wondering why anyone had even been in Sweat's corner since I didn't think he was all that good but it was good to see him have a good game today.

In general though, very disappointed that they let a game that was easily winnable slip away as usual.  Seems like more of the same to me...

10 minutes ago, megared said:

Gotta question how Ron evaluated this roster.

Anyone that watched the games last season knew:

Left side of O-line needed to be addressed (esp after you let the LG walk, and traded the LT)

Apke is not a viable starter

Collins needs to be in the box

Why would the team live/die by the play of an almost rookie QB?  Just doesn't make sense that we didn't fill holes (especially on the o-line) with competent dudes.  Why make his job harder to learn the position? 

Doesn't matter to me whether he's the guy or not, how is that an ideal learning environment??  

Its a rebuilding year anyway. Why spend resources on expensive vets? I mean they did go after Cooper but the contract details that were leaked afterwards revealed it wasn't really a super serious offer(in terms of guaranteed money).

Use this year to evaluate all the young players and then next year we can figure out what to do.

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

Its a rebuilding year anyway. Why spend resources on expensive vets? I mean they did go after Cooper but the contract details that were leaked afterwards revealed it wasn't really a super serious offer(in terms of guaranteed money).

Use this year to evaluate all the young players and then next year we can figure out what to do.

I wasn't asking for the moon, I'm saying competent.  There's no value going into a season with guys you know suck, and that you're going to have to move on from anyways.  What does that prove?  Instead of solidifying 10% of your roster, you're leaving a bunch of question marks.   

At least get mid tier backups and set a floor for the level of play you're looking for.  Haskin's INTs were pretty transparent, but why not take line play out of the many factors as to why his mechanics are trash?  It wouldn't have put us over the cap.  We're paying $84 M to a safety that can't cover...

Is it safe to say that Haskins actually looked the best under the last few games with Callahan feeding the ball to AP and not crowding Haskins's plate with too much?  It looked like he actually had made some real progress.  I still don't get why AP was let go when no other RB on the roster is proven as of now.  

37 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Is it safe to say that Haskins actually looked the best under the last few games with Callahan feeding the ball to AP and not crowding Haskins's plate with too much?  It looked like he actually had made some real progress.  I still don't get why AP was let go when no other RB on the roster is proven as of now.  

He didn't look good until the last two games of the season when Kevin O'Connell took over the play-calling I thought. 

I think, for the first time, Scott Turner called a good game. With our receiving core we won't always have guys open but I feel like he game-planned a bit more for Haskin's strengths. Now Haskins was absolutely horrible yesterday, there is no way to sugercoat it, so the stats do not reflect that but in general the play-calling was good I think. Finally we also ran the jet sweep and it got us almost 20 yards - want to see that more often.

I think the biggest issue with Haskins is that he doesn't trust himself with some throws. There were multiple times that we had players open for the quick dump-off or a quick out for 5 yards. I saw multiple times that Haskins looked there but for some reason went to his next read even though there was a window. I think the reporters mentioned that Rivera said Haskins needs to take more advantage of the easy throws defenses are giving him and I think that is a big issue. He just does not look calm enough, which is also why I think his footwork is horrible. He needs to relax a bit and not rush everything. I saw a cutup of his dropbacks from week 2 and from the Eagles game last year somewhere on Twitter. He just looked so much calmer in that Eagles game. I think he still struggles with this offense and that will likely continue. But we need to keep playing him, no point in bringing in Allen now. I fully agree that this year is not about winning but about evaluating - first and foremost Haskins.

Loved that we got to see some Wright in this game. Even though he made a stupid mistake with that out-of bound catch (one of the rare throws where Haskins made a throw to the sideline), I think he can be a nice asset for this offense going forward. Especially now that Inman seems to be injured.

Game was costly. Young, Ioannidis, Inman - not good. But that called for other players to step it up and Sweat took over in the third quarter. Those flashes from him start to come more regularly. He still struggles from time to time when his first move doesn't work but the learning curve is showing upwards bigtime.

Landon Collins and Apke had another really bad game. That Collins contract looks really bad. He misses so many tackles and he can't cover. Bruce Allen really was the worst, no way that dude deserves 17 mio next season.

Next week is going to be rough, especially if Ioannidis and Young are out. But we gotta see it for what it is. Just another game to find out more about our roster.

i'm likely in the minority by thinking that I actually thought the rest of the Team played well enough to win today. Haskins' inexcusable interceptions were responsible for 21 points for Cleveland and undoubtedly cost us the game. Take away the picks and the dynamics of the game are completely different in our favor. Hell, not only do I believe we would've won, but I think we likely win relatively easy.

The most concerning thing to me with Haskins picks are they didn't come while he was under intense pressure to get rid of the ball or did they come under some sort of confusing coverages by Cleveland's D. They were just stare down the receiver from snap to release and the defenders were easily able to jump in front of the intended receiver for some of the easiest picks you'll see. Aside from the 3 ints. that Haskins threw, he should've had 5. Wright made a good play by breaking up a gimme that was in Wards hands and there was one on a screen that went through the defenders hands. The other thing with Haskins is that he fumbles or nearly fumbles everytime he gets hit. 

For the most part, I've given Haskins the benefit of the doubt. Being that he's in a new offense in only his second year and it is said a QB won't really start to excel in an offense until their second year in it, I do think he deserves a bit more time. That said, staring down receivers and fumbling virtually everytime you get hit have little to do with the offense you're in and are QB traits that will put you on the bench or buy you a ticket right out of the league. 

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Based on the way Rivera has approached the end of the last 2 games, yeah I’m fine with that. It’s turned into a full evaluation year.

So with that said, I will go back to something I noted earlier in the offseason, why keep Kerrigan around, or Scherff for that matter, 27mil in wasted cap space if this is an evaluation season.

1 hour ago, fearlessNelms said:

i'm likely in the minority by thinking that I actually thought the rest of the Team played well enough to win today. Haskins' inexcusable interceptions were responsible for 21 points for Cleveland and undoubtedly cost us the game. Take away the picks and the dynamics of the game are completely different in our favor. Hell, not only do I believe we would've won, but I think we likely win relatively easy.

The most concerning thing to me with Haskins picks are they didn't come while he was under intense pressure to get rid of the ball or did they come under some sort of confusing coverages by Cleveland's D. They were just stare down the receiver from snap to release and the defenders were easily able to jump in front of the intended receiver for some of the easiest picks you'll see. Aside from the 3 ints. that Haskins threw, he should've had 5. Wright made a good play by breaking up a gimme that was in Wards hands and there was one on a screen that went through the defenders hands. The other thing with Haskins is that he fumbles or nearly fumbles everytime he gets hit. 

For the most part, I've given Haskins the benefit of the doubt. Being that he's in a new offense in only his second year and it is said a QB won't really start to excel in an offense until their second year in it, I do think he deserves a bit more time. That said, staring down receivers and fumbling virtually everytime you get hit have little to do with the offense you're in and are QB traits that will put you on the bench or buy you a ticket right out of the league. 

I agree with the most parts but the fumbling thing I don't really see. Yeah he lost a fumble in every game this season but all of them came from rushers there were basically untouched on their way to Haskins and all came from his blind side or from behind. These fumbles are on the o-line. Can't remember how it was last year but I don't see a fumbling issue ala Cousins or Jones whenever he gets touched.

I won't comment much on the Haskins stuff here, but I will say that I thought that the defense (particularly the LBs and Apke and Collins) could have done more. We started off well stopping the run but then we got abused by both RBs on the long drives. Yes they got a lot of points off turnovers, but they only held what? one of those turnover drives to a FG? I was like that's a backbreaker? Apke had an int that he dropped, Collins got abused by Harrison Bryant on the TD call and where were the LBs? 

I thought that guys like Wright and AGG stepped up and hopefully we have a growing young WR core that Haskins can depend on and target more than guys like Logan Thomas. I don't think he is as bad as some call out but I don't think he should be leading the team in targets. He made a good play on the 4th down that I really liked. What we saw yesterday was a balanced type offense where 4 guys had at least 30 yards receiving (TMac, Inman, McK, Thomas) and 5  guys had at least 30 yards from scrimmage (previous plus Gibson and Wright). Its not all world numbers but its something that can hopefully help this offense. 

What I really think is that this offense and our OC are young and developing and so I am really interested in seeing who belongs in this league. Is Inman set as our number 2? It seems like Haskins is looking for somebody to go to other than TMac and all his ints were to Thomas and Inman. Is he trusting those guys too much? There was also the OPI call against TMac that was a bad call (which may have not led to the Int) and the sideline oob call against AGG. But between these guys (Thomas, Inman, AGG, Wright and Sims) I hope we see a reliable target emerge that can take pressure off Haskins and TMac and allow the offense to move more. I thought it was Inman early in the game with the TDs (and maybe he is becoming that) but maybe the relationship with Haskins is not there yet. 

Haskins was awful. 

Terry does what he does. 

Guards don't look good at all. 

Landon was targeted by the offense with success, running and passing. 

Sweat and Payne showed up to play is the positive of the game. Gibson showed a couple of flashes of eventually being really good. 

8 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It was a joke. :ols: 

There is no sense of humor in this place anymore.

Sometimes, jokes are tough to get across on the internet. The person posted the tweet in here today, so i figured you just didn’t catch the date on there and thought he actually didn’t take the plane home 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Archived