Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Cleveland

Offensive Summary:

Haskins had a bump in the road of his development. The two first half interceptions were big in this one. Throwing into triple coverage while staring down the receiver on the first one hurt. Thomas certainly didn't help by flattening his route. But, even though it wasn't a clean rep from Thomas, you can't stare down your receiver and throw it into triple coverage. On the second pick, he stared down Inman and the backer undercut it for a TD. 

On the positive side for Haskins, he had some throws that you are okay with, even when he missed. One to McLaurin in the endzone in the third quarter stands out. He was crossing and Haskins threw it in a spot that was a bit "off" from McLaurin, but the defender wasn't going to get there and McLaurin could have. Those are the misses you're okay with. 

Once again, he came out in the second half in a much better rhythm. Consistency is the next phase of his development, and the coaching staff needs to find a way to get him going and keep him going in a rhythm early. The touchdown pass to Inman in the 3rd quarter was absolutely beautiful, and although his mechanics broke down on the fourth down conversion, they did so out of necessity. 

He also needs to keep himself away from staring down the receivers. He did it on the Inman throw, too, but the throw was so on point... The third interception he was eyeballing the receiver again, but if his placement was better that one wouldn't have been as egregious as the other two. He needed to lead Inman a little bit more there. It doesn't help he threw it off his back foot. 

I've said he needs the season to be fully evaluated, but at some point the team loses it's spark and that evaluation isn't accurate as it is. When is that point? Could be now. Could be next week. Or maybe Haskins learns and develops. But if he continues making the mistakes he has been with accuracy and staring down receivers, they may need to pull the plug. 

Gibson struggled a bit today, but it was nice to see he and McKissick in the slot more, being used as receivers. 

The offensive line still needs a lot of upgrades, but they were better. Christian has slow feet, but he understands assignments and how to execute. Problem is that as the games wear on, his feet and motor slow as he gets more tired and good defensive ends take control. I love the improvement, but we are still lacking significantly at the tackle position. Roullier/Wes/Moses are all playing decently. Left guard needs to get shored up to continue to give WFT a chance in these games. Next year this offensive line needs a big overhaul and it should be the top priority.

Logan Thomas is a big time mixed bag. He makes some catches that he has no business making, but also has drops in some key moments. Today he came through more than he didn't. 

McLaurin is still the gem, but Inman flashed in a way that we need our vet receiver to flash. He got open and caught the ball when it was in his catch radius. Wright flashed and could emerge. He's a guy a lot of us in the draft thread were high on coming out. 

Defensive Summary:

Montez Sweat came out to play today. Even before the injuries, he and Daron Payne, the most underrated player on the roster, showed up and made some significant plays. Sweat set the edge well, Payne clogged the running lanes. Sweat stepped up after the injuries recording a sack and a few pressures. The other DL that needs to be talked about is Jon Allen. He is often referred to as the weak link, but he was the DL's leading tackler and also recorded a sack. Settle filled in for Matty I quite well and Kerrigan/Anderson played admirably in place of the rookie phenom.

The linebackers have struggled in coverage. On first watch, it looked like Cleveland was finding them and throwing to their responsibilities as much as possible. Lots of crossers seemed to haunt the backers. 

Entirely too many missed tackles from the backers and secondary as well. Both safeties are missing too many tackles and it hurts the defense. Both look hesitant. Collins has to step up and play like he did for the Giants or this team may face a need for two safeties this offseason. Coverage isn't a saving grace for them, either. They really need to be much better.

The defense as a whole misses entirely too many tackles. 

Overall Summary:

Once again excellent half time adjustments. The team came out ready to play despite a poor first half. Things fell apart due to more offensive miscues and poor tackling. Two things that will plague this team. The defense needs an influx of players who are sure tacklers more than it needs big hitters or flash guys. Find guys that tackle well first, then slowly upgrade each spot as needed.

With Cleveland missing a good portion of its starting defense today, it was imperative that Washington steal a win today if they wanted to keep themselves in the picture given their schedule over the next few weeks (Baltimore, LA Rams). 

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the lack of timeout usage from Rivera. I'm not entirely sure his reasons, but this is the second game where he elected to keep them in his pocket rather than use them. Some will have strong opinions on this. I am not one of those people. Generally, I'd use them. But, Rivera knows the game and has his reasons and I will trust his decision making. 

A stat worth sharing:

Team rushing attempts for WFT: 22 (the last two on the last drive where Washington elected to not try to get the ball downfield and score after the timeout debacle)

Rushing attempts for Nick Chubb: 19

Again, I won't judge Rivera for this strategy right now. But I can see why many have an issue with it. The optics don't look fantastic. He seems to be trying to get out of losses without extra injuries, which I can understand. And I'm glad Ron does things his way without worrying about fan perception. 

I understand people's dislike, though. And I'm not sure I like the precedence it sets. Again, I wouldn't do it. But I'm not the head coach of a professional football team. 

Studs/Duds:

*** - Montez Sweat

** - Jon Allen

* - Terry McLaurin

:( -  Landon Collins

:(:( -   Troy Apke

:(:( :( - Dwayne Haskins

Season Totals:

4 * - Chase Young

4 * - Terry McLaurin

3* - Montez Sweat

3 * - Ryan Kerrigan

2 * - Jon Allen

1*Antonio Gibson

1 *- Fabian Moreau

1 *- Jimmy Moreland

1* - Matt Ioannidis

1 :( - Secondary as a whole.

1 :( - Brandon Scherff

1 :( - Landon Collins

2 :( - Linebackers as a whole.

2 :(  - Geron Christian

2 :( - Troy Apke

3 :( - Offensive Line as a whole.

3 :( - Steven Sims 

3 :( - Dwayne Haskins

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Just now, justice98 said:

Haskins easily could have had 7 turnovers today.  The 4 he did have, the INT Wright saved him from, there was at least one very sketchy screen attempt, and the fumbled handoff, which was on him.  

The fumbled hand off was on him, sure. Gibson didn't exactly give a great bucket, either. 

14 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Offensive Summary:

On the positive side for Haskins, he had some throws that you are okay with, even when he missed. One to McLaurin in the endzone in the third quarter stands out. He was crossing and Haskins threw it in a spot that was a bit "off" from McLaurin, but the defender wasn't going to get there and McLaurin could have. Those are the misses you're okay with. 

I dont know about that one.  That throw was egregious.  I'll never be ok with wide open misses in the endzone.  There was no reason for McLaurin to not have an easy 6 there.  Had Haskins not salvaged it on the next play, we would talking a lot about this.  

Edited by justice98
  • Like 4
Just now, carex said:

disappointing game from Haskins.  But the only time we looked good when he was playing well

Well, that's the way quarterbacks work. The good ones elevate teams. The decent ones keep them steady. The poor ones hurt them.

I don't know what Haskins is yet. But he's trending the wrong way. 

• Like 2

Haskins still looks like he is throwing everything QB 101 out of the window and relying on arm strength.  That 2nd Inman TD is a perfect example.  Was it a nice throw? Yes, but guess what, he missed the much easier throw to McLaurin the play before that any NFL backup should be able to make in his sleep.  He is still not setting his feet and throwing off his back leg.  I have never seen an NFL QB sail so many short passes.  He is also not driving throws and they are ending up behind the routes all the time.  I don't know man, I am losing hope that Haskins's problems can be fixed, and even if they can, it isn't going to be anytime soon.  

If I am Rivera and behind closed doors I don't think Haskins is the guy moving forward, he better storm into Snyder's office and say that either the coaches partner with scouts on the next QB drafted or I resign.  Snyder can in no way be the dominant voice in who they draft at that position for a 3rd time in a row. 

McLaurin got totally jobbed on that PI call.  It wasn't even close.  He did nothing against the rules.   I swear if he was on another team he'd likely be getting highlight reel spots every week.

The defense is only going to be as good as the D-line can make it for now.  The rest of the defense is just not good enough to pick them up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I dont know about that one.  That throw was egregious.  I'll never be ok with wide open misses in the endzone.  There was no reason for McLaurin to not have an easy 6 there.  Had Haskins not salvaged it on the next play, we would talking a lot about this.  

I think we're talking about different throws. I'm talking about the in breaking one. Not the corner. 

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

that corner throw misses all the time, I've seen tons of other teams' receivers stretched out the same way

as for the INTs my father thought he was staring down the receivers.  I know he wasn't doing it all game, I saw him looking around on several plays.  Was that the issue othes saw?

Edited by carex

I don't wanna start a thread for what I'm about to say but...this place here is absolutely needed..you have no idea how bad it ****ing sucks with out having this place after a loss..especially after a loss like today...

LET GO AND CONTINUE TO BE A FAN IF YOU CAN..its rough right now tho...today I got to watch my favorite team at my best friends house cause the phins played thursday night..it was great hospitality and I was thankful to watch the team from Washington DC play....prayers to young and matt

1 hour ago, TXRedskinsFan said:

Every time Haskins steps back and throws the ball 15+ yards, I always hold my breath.

Shouldn't be that way.

Thank you

Edited by bakedtater1
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, bakedtater1 said:

I don't wanna start a thread for what I'm about to say but...this place here is absolutely needed..you have no idea how bad it ****s with me not having this place after a loss..especially after a loss like today...

I had no intention of watching the game today.

I brought my kayak out to this beautiful little reservoir out in the Berkshires today with the intention of doing nothing but fishing and relaxing.

I'm on the ten step program to addiction withdrawal, the first was admitting i have a problem and the second was avoiding my addiction.

Unfortunately unbeknownst to me there was a cell tower up there and I backslid a little and put the game on my phone.

I was able to not really care what happened too much which was nice but I'm hoping to get to the point where I dont even check the score.

Maybe I need a sponsor, lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I had no intention of watching the game today.

I brought my kayak out to this beautiful little reservoir out in the Berkshires today with the intention of doing nothing but fishing and relaxing.

I'm on the ten step program to addiction withdrawal, the first was admitting i have a problem and the second was avoiding my addiction.

Unfortunately unbeknownst to me there was a cell tower up there and I backslid a little and put the game on my phone.

I was able to not really care what happened too much which was nice but I'm hoping to get to the point where I dont even check the score.

Maybe I need a sponsor, lol.

Wholy **** man..good for you..if it means no Washington football team for you than so be it...your sponsors are there with you when you're fishing..I'm jealous and so seriously would have done what you did if offered the opportunity...only you control you..

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The fumbled hand off was on him, sure. Gibson didn't exactly give a great bucket, either. 

Nah, that was all Haskins on that one.  He put it on his belt...way too low.  Haskins put the ball well below the basket that was there. Hopefully more reps will iron that kind of stuff out...then again, I am not so sure with Haskins at this point.

1 minute ago, Rhazaghul said:

Nah, that was all Haskins on that one.  He put it on his belt...way too low.  Haskins put the ball well below the basket that was there. Hopefully more reps will iron that kind of stuff out...then again, I am not so sure with Haskins at this point.

I am not sure why you're saying "nah". I agreed it was on Haskins. Gibson could have given a better bucket on first viewing, but the hand off was not where it was supposed to be, either. 

Side note: Does Batman know you're out and about, Rhaz?

Edited by KDawg

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I am not sure why you're saying "nah". I agreed it was on Haskins. Gibson could have given a better bucket on first viewing, but the hand off was not where it was supposed to be, either. 

Side note: Does Batman know you're out and about, Rhaz?

No, Batman does not know...nor should he find out.  League of Shadows is no laughing matter...

But, I was not really disagreeing with you, I was just kind of adding to your comment.  I just think that it was all on Haskins for the fumble, I didn't really see the back do anything obvious to bring on the fumble.  We both agree on the fault here, I believe.  I was just giving my extended analysis and absolving the back.  That's all.

Edited by Rhazaghul
  • Like 1