Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread (Same Day Edition): WFT vs. Cleveland

Really liked the way Wright played.  Have to confess, I literally knew nothing about him prior to this game.  He looks the part though - fluid, quick, hands looked good.  

It felt obvious that a point should have come where we started leaning on the ground game, a thought I’ve had a few times, but I don’t know how much coaches are trying to put on Haskins intentionally.  

D got worn out.  Losing Io for the season hurts (love that dude), but we still have a nice rotation.  

• Like 2

Isaiah Wright is a gamer. You can tell the competition of NFL level ball sharpens his senses rather than overwhelms them. He was creative in space and played with great awareness for a rookie. I’m looking forward to seeing him in a bigger role. 

I also was surprised to see AGG involved in a reverse. His play speed is better than his 40 time and he handled that hit at the end like a champ. 

• Like 5

I understand why fans would still be skeptical/negative when viewing this franchise through a long term lens. That goes without saying.

But unless you had 11-5 hopes for 2020, I’m not sure why anything you’ve seen so far would have you upset/discouraged. 

The QB stinks. And unless he gets way better or we find better, whatever ceiling we have will be pretty low. But right now I’m more concerned about the team as a whole. And yesterday we put forth a winning effort in all aspects except the QB. That loss was 100% due to lack of performance from Haskins. If we get a league average QB output we win that game— on the road against a decent team. There wasn’t one time last year where I felt that way. Our game plan was solid; the D was very good until they were dealt those terrible hands off the turnovers. I was quite impressed with Scott Turner and the other skill position players. 

Yesterday, we were a real NFL team— just one without a real NFL QB. I can live with that for this season. I have NO issue starting over again at the position next year and I don’t think it sets us way back or anything. As we see across the league when you get that position right, there is almost always immediate competence and in some cases far better than that. And I’m also still willing to give Haskins a chance to prove he’s the guy. Skeptical about that, but believe that for now he should continue to start. 

Through three games though, we are clearly better than last year (not saying much, but it’s a first step) and I anticipate like most well coached teams that have youth that we will improve as the season continues. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
30 minutes ago, kleese said:

But unless you had 11-5 hopes for 2020, I’m not sure why anything you’ve seen so far would have you upset/discouraged. 

Uhhh...because...

30 minutes ago, kleese said:

The QB stinks.

Yup, that's why.

He ended last season well, seemed to have done the right things in the off-season, and now has apparently regressed.  So...yeah...most are upset/discouraged.

7 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Uhhh...because...

Yup, that's why.

He ended last season well, seemed to have done the right things in the off-season, and now has apparently regressed.  So...yeah...most are upset/discouraged.

Well, I guess that’s where we differ. Nothing I saw from Haskins last year really impressed me either. I certainly wouldn’t say he “ended the season well.” Mixing in a good throw here and there or even a nice half doesn’t cut it for me. If you are on an NFL field you should occasionally make nice plays even if you stink. For me, I am OK mixing in a clunker of a game if you balance it out with a stellar game. I’ve yet to see that from Haskins. I’ve yet to watch him play and think “wow, this is one of the best guys in the field.” I would have hoped by now he would have at least flashed that. I honestly don’t mind the INTs because that often happens to young QBs figuring things out. It’s his overall lack of accuracy/play making that bothers me. 

I am also a little biased because I’m not high on him at all. Didn’t want to draft him and I don’t think the talent is there. I hope I am wrong. I do think he has a little moxie that I wasn’t aware of before we drafted him. I think he cares and plays with passion. I’m rooting for him. But I just don’t think the tangibles are there. So I kind of went into this year more or less assuming we would change QBs at some point and more likely than not be looking for a new one for 2021 unless Kyle Allen gets a chance and impresses at some point this year. And I’m fine with that. I’m looking well beyond the QB at this point. If I like what I see elsewhere, I’ll be good. 

13 hours ago, -JB- said:

With Ioannidis our for the year & Chase Young out for who knows how long... does it ever get better?  Ever?  Cursed until Snyder sells.

It's football, injuries happen. In years past yes ours were above average but looking around the league we are not victims of that this year, at least not yet.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
2 hours ago, kleese said:

Well, I guess that’s where we differ. Nothing I saw from Haskins last year really impressed me either. I certainly wouldn’t say he “ended the season well.” Mixing in a good throw here and there or even a nice half doesn’t cut it for me. If you are on an NFL field you should occasionally make nice plays even if you stink. For me, I am OK mixing in a clunker of a game if you balance it out with a stellar game. I’ve yet to see that from Haskins. I’ve yet to watch him play and think “wow, this is one of the best guys in the field.” I would have hoped by now he would have at least flashed that. I honestly don’t mind the INTs because that often happens to young QBs figuring things out. It’s his overall lack of accuracy/play making that bothers me. 

I am also a little biased because I’m not high on him at all. Didn’t want to draft him and I don’t think the talent is there. I hope I am wrong. I do think he has a little moxie that I wasn’t aware of before we drafted him. I think he cares and plays with passion. I’m rooting for him. But I just don’t think the tangibles are there. So I kind of went into this year more or less assuming we would change QBs at some point and more likely than not be looking for a new one for 2021 unless Kyle Allen gets a chance and impresses at some point this year. And I’m fine with that. I’m looking well beyond the QB at this point. If I like what I see elsewhere, I’ll be good. 

We get, you thought Haskins was a bust before it was cool.  Football Hipsters are out in force.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

We get, you thought Haskins was a bust before it was cool.  Football Hipsters are out in force.

I mean, a lot of people did. He was hardly a consensus type pick. I was not a big fan of his at Ohio St. I’d say he was a fairly polarizing player among pundits as well— his range where people thought he should go was pretty wide. Wider than you typically see with a first round QB. Once the draft ends, none of that matters of course. But I suppose it matters in terms of your perception— based on what you thought he’d be from the outset.