Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Overrated, and I'm not sure what to do about it outside give it time.  Hurts, but they aren't as good as I thought they'd be, no point in panicking, it'll be over soon enough at this rate, then we can see if they are what we thought they'd be in 2021.  

The line is capable but certainly isn’t dominant.  I’m not expecting jailbreaks on every play but they shouldn’t be allowing the type of running lanes we saw today.  TBH, the game wouldn’t have been close if they kept feeding Morris. He was killing us. 

14 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

How was Chase Young today? Saw he got a sack. 

I watched all of his snaps today. I saw nothing impressive. Didn’t even realize he got a sack. I annoyed people in the GDT about it, apparently he gets double teamed all game but I hardly saw that 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, max21 said:

I watched all of his snaps today. I saw nothing impressive. Didn’t even realize he got a sack. I annoyed people in the GDT about it, apparently he gets double teamed all game but I hardly saw that 

It looked to me like he half assed it most of the time..He is not living up to the hype that was put on him so far

I see many here are coming around to a line of thinking I've had all year. This DL is very overrated by our fans.  I commented on Chase Young after the first game, then retracted it. But I was still seeing the same thing. In college so many of his plays came off his burst at the snap, he was the first one off and it gave him an edge. This year early he got caught on a few off sides and he seems hesitant, he is not exploding off the edge as we expected. Then we have Allen and Payne who are still living off their college reputation. The fact is they haven't been close to what was expected. 

11 hours ago, SkinssRvA said:

He “got a sack.”  

the guy isn’t impacting the pass game like he should. Unfortunate. 

He’s a complete non-factor in the pass rush and no, it isn’t against double teams for the most part.  I’m not even looking for sacks, just for QBs to even feel a little uncomfortable by him.  He doesn’t seem strong enough to bull rush, doesn’t have great balance (falls down a lot pass rushing), and has few moves (that part I’m sure will improve some).

It seems we got ourselves a solid D lineman (run game especially).  Like J. Allen, picked higher than the level of his play.  

12 hours ago, bh32 said:

Payne looks like the best of the DL..

I always thought Ion was our best interior lineman and I still do. Very disappointed in our defensive line play overall this year. We should be moving Chase around more and keeping Kerrigan in. I don't know how much Chase has played on the interior but I would show some looks with him in the middle, either replacing one of the tackles or even as a 5th linemen. Make him more of a Swiss army knife and move him around. But maybe I'm way off base here....

4 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I see many here are coming around to a line of thinking I've had all year. This DL is very overrated by our fans.  I commented on Chase Young after the first game, then retracted it. But I was still seeing the same thing. In college so many of his plays came off his burst at the snap, he was the first one off and it gave him an edge. This year early he got caught on a few off sides and he seems hesitant, he is not exploding off the edge as we expected. Then we have Allen and Payne who are still living off their college reputation. The fact is they haven't been close to what was expected. 

Well said, I agree with all of this. I don't know what the answer is but Chase and Sweat should be much better if our interior push was better. We miss Ion badly and that's bad because we have two 1st round picks up the middle. Even Jonathon Vilma commented that our d-line needed to be better. 

2 hours ago, Capsman said:

He’s a complete non-factor in the pass rush and no, it isn’t against double teams for the most part.  I’m not even looking for sacks, just for QBs to even feel a little uncomfortable by him.  

I think you maybe should re watch the game and just watch him

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I could not DVR the game but I did watch Chase exclusively on the replay of several games. He's very good in pursuit and certainly makes plays.  But he sure isn't beating the tackle around the corner like he did in college and like so many of the top pass rushers do.  And he is certainly not getting double teamed as often as fans believe, the vast majority of his plays he is getting locked up one on one with the tackle.

But I am fine with Chase, I think he will be very good to great very soon.   I'm much more concerned with Jonathan Allen and to a lesser degree Payne.  Fans have been overrating Allen the entire time he has been here. This is year 3 and at no point has he ever looked dominant.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan

14 hours ago, max21 said:

he got in the backfield quick enough to disrupt a fake reverse, if they'd been one step closer he could have just tackled both of them, and he was right behind Jones when Allen got him

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

You're very wrong on Payne (in my opinion).

Can't argue much on Allen.

Young it's too early. 

2 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I did.  And as I said I’m not being unreasonable in the sense of saying he stinks.  His run defense is excellent and teams clearly run the ball away from him.  He plays screens pretty well too. He would probably be more successful if Ioannidis was playing, because there would be more pressure up the middle and QBs would have to drop back deeper. 

18 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah perhaps you are right, that's why I said to a lesser extent. Still I look at Vita Vea and was hoping for similar production. I was torn on the 2 on draft day.  

The silver lining with Payne is that, although he hasn't matched the peak play of James or Vea, he has at least stayed on the field. Can't discount that. I don't think he'll ever be a Pro Bowler but that is more because he is not ever going to get 7-8 sacks a season. He's a 3-5 sack a year guy who will stuff the run.

The wise move would be to move Allen this offseason and try to get a 3rd back for him but the likely outcome is they extend him and then lose the more productive and cheaper Settle to UFA in 2022.