Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Defensive Line Thread

Burgundy Yoda

Just now, SemperFi Skins said:

Wasn't disagreeing at all. You're correct. I think that may have been the mindset going in from the some of the coaches thinking the DLine would overshadow the average back 7

Yup. Agree. They misstepped big there.

19 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Don't sleep on Toohill. They released him to make room for Vinny Curry but Philly media is pissed off they let him go. He is a great athlete who actually beat out their 4th round pick for a spot on the roster. Good get here - would be interesting to see if he can develop into a 3rd pass rusher behind Sweat and Young next year as both Anderson and Kerrigan are gone after this year

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/10/the-giants-need-pass-rushers-with-lorenzo-carter-out-and-a-couple-of-talented-young-ones-just-became-available.html

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, method man said:

Don't sleep on Toohill. They released him to make room for Vinny Curry but Philly media is pissed off they let him go. He is a great athlete who actually beat out their 4th round pick for a spot on the roster. Good get here - would be interesting to see if he can develop into a 3rd pass rusher behind Sweat and Young next year as both Anderson and Kerrigan are gone after this year

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/10/the-giants-need-pass-rushers-with-lorenzo-carter-out-and-a-couple-of-talented-young-ones-just-became-available.html

Its a nice pickup.  Wish it was at a need position.  Might be bad news for Nate Orchard if he was hoping to come back next year.  Orchard and Ryan Anderson are free agents.  I would rather keep Anderson.

5 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

I can't help but feel like this also makes up for losing Jordan Brailford to the Vikings.

That didn't really bother me.   Maybe Brailford develops into a decent backup, but we have enough young talent at DE that I am not worried about that position.

• Like 1

As an Eagles fan, I'm quite disappointed about the loss of Toohill, especially to a division rival. We obviously didn't get to watch him in the preseason, but the reports from camp were all positive. And when he made the 53-man roster, the coaches made a point to rave about the progress he was making, how amazing he was at taking coaching. Basically, they said he always did the right thing and always made the corrections that were suggested. He ended up beating out Joe Ostman for the final DE spot. I'm sure you've never heard of Ostman, but he was a huge fan favorite even though he's never done a damn thing in three years. But reporters at the practices would always tweet about Ostman anytime he made a good play. So the Eagles fans have been in love with the guy, which has ticked me off because, as I said, he didn't do jack in the preseason in '18. And he missed all of '19 with a knee injury. 

Anyway Toohill beat him out, and even dressed for the opener against y'all. It sure seemed like he was on track to be a guy you'd be semi-excited about as a late round pick. But the Eagles have been getting murdered with injuries this year and have had to constantly massage the bottom end of their roster just so they could have enough players at every unit every week. So even if Toohill were to be ranked as the 53rd player on the team, they've had to activate guys lower on the totem pole -- let's say for argument players number 57, 60, and 63 -- for game days. And I guess they thought they could smoothly slide him onto the practice squad for a few weeks until everything settles down. Probably didn't think any team would claim him because of the whole COVID thing and all the protocol that has to be adhered to when you add someone new to your building.

And there's also a great video on Youtube which shows the reaction of Toohill as he's getting the phone call when he's being drafted. Family all excited. And he's exuberant about it all. It's such a bummer to me that we lost him. Granted, seventh round picks usually don't amount to a whole heckuva lot. But still...he was someone I've really been rooting for since April. 

Yeah, the scouting report is...great athlete...can really run...has pass rush ability...very good special teams...terrible against the run.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Junior Gallette tweeted “****, they traded Kerrigan?” ....anyone seeing anything about this?

EDIT: guess he fell for a fake schefter tweet

damn, I’ve been advocating that move for months. I’d be in favour of that if the value was right.

so, bizarre idea.  We're now carrying 10 DL with everyone staying in their current positions.  With the trouble the LB are having could we be shifting Ryan Anderson to LB to at least give him a try

3 minutes ago, KDawg said:

The amount of people that think Payne isn’t playing well is maddening. :ols:

the announcers on Sunday couldn't seem to stop complimenting his play

One thing we learned is that our Greek God is essential for the D. Payne and Allen just don't have the passrush abilty that he has. We really miss that. 

I like that we start kicking tires and adding players. If Ron wants to do a roster review year. But guys who don't have a future and try to find guys on practise squads. See if they have talent. I really would like to find a inside passrush te replace our Greek God. 

8 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Problem is it seems the more effective he gets, the less effective Allen seems to be.

The funny thing is, it’s probably better that Allen  settles in as just good to help the team keep everyone together. If Allen were to pop this season with 10 sacks, he’d most likely be gone in free agency. 

Allen is technically sound and a good leader but has no real blow you away physical ability. He'll likely carve out a long solid NFL career but I doubt he ever makes any Pro Bowls or All Pro teams.

Payne has more explosive and disruptive ability but I don't think he has the stamina to last long in games. He tends to wear down as evidenced by how teams gash us with the run game in the 2nd half(although thats also because our D is on the field a ton because we can't sustain offense).

Ion is definitely our best all around DT, particularly rushing the passer. Both Allen and Payne are average at best in that area.