Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

What's blatantly obvious to me, looking at all the media from yesterday: Jason Wright is no where to be seen.

Jason Wright is basically Snyder's Baghdad Bob. I don't know why that's not obvious by now. You have to be totally shameless to take a job like that and know you're feeding the fans a load of crap on a regular basis.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, ntotoro said:

Snyder’s wife is just as bad as he is. I think we all know that by now. He’s running this like the Wizard of Oz. Jason Wright is basically the Minister of Propaganda. The coaching staff appears progressively more clueless with every game. There’s little worth saving in this franchise, top-to-bottom.

Damn straight.  There is not an ounce of integrity in Dan Snyder.  Anyone marrying him would see that and likely be void of it themselves.  He has been the problem with this franchise from day one.  There is no getting around it now--it's an indisputable fact.  It's not an opinion and it can't be re-framed or conditioned in any way, shape or form any longer.  The "oh-he-just-wants-to-win" arguments hold no merit (they never really did).  There is nothing, nada, redeemable about Snyder as an owner of this franchise.  It will continue to get worse and worse with him (or Tanya) at the helm.    

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jason Wright is a coward. He answered zero questions after his statement full of blatant lies then doesn’t even bother to show up to an event he’s in charge of. The dude needs to go today. You have the title of team President and you are retiring the third number in franchise history after nearly a century as a team and you decide to skip work that day or hide in the suite? The dude is a complete fraud. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/executives/SnydDa0.htm

Look at this clown's record since he's been the owner.  Every 5 to 6 years there's a false sense of "hope" with a 10-6 season, and then it's back to mediocrity or awfulness.  16 years since a playoff win.  It's going to be a decade since this team has had double digit wins.  I hate that I am a fan of this team.  

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Seems like it's now dawning on the fanbase how badly Ron Rivera ****ed up the beginning of his rebuild, and the crashing expectations are causing a lot of despair.

It happened earlier for me, and what I've been wrestling with since is the question "can this rebuild be salvaged and become successful eventually?"  Rivera made some pretty drastic teambuilding and hiring mistakes, and he has a record that's pretty mediocre outside of one phenomenal year.  And he was absolutely given far too much power at the start.  But he also commands the respect of his colleagues and players and he's been willingly collaborative, which is an essential quality in a head coach who was granted far too much power upon getting hired.

If I were the owner, I think I would set year one aside and pretend like this season is the first of the rebuild and manage my expectations according to that time frame.  But I would absolutely also make Rivera overhaul his coaching staffs, and I would overhaul our pro-player scouting staff and process since they just produced a horrible free agency class.  I would also tell him to pick his next QB carefully and plan on sticking with him, because if he doesn't work out, then his ass is gone.

I think you are dreaming.

41 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Yeah @@SkinsGoldPants i saw those pictures, those aren’t the one i was talking about though. I’m trying to find which picture i saw

edit: found the picture i was thinking of, looked like wright at first glance yesterday. It wasn’t. 

So he is a coward and you were wrong for defending his worthless excuse as the team President.

If he’s in hiding after he apologized to the fans and doesn’t bother showing up, he needs to be gone permanently. There is zero leadership there. There is no justifiable reason for him to skip the event after he issued his statement. He’s a liar and horrible at his job. 

• Like 1

The past week has further cemented just how bad things have gotten under Snyder. This organization is like one of those old Western movie sets where there are just facades of a town...you can see a blacksmith, a saloon, a bank, etc. but there's really nothing behind any of those things. 

The team has players, coaches, and people sitting in the front office...but the organization is led by a rudderless man who has no organizational vision and no ability to even accomplish one if he had it. He's also immoral, predatory, has an inferiority complex, and is a bad judge of character. Any time there is heat, he will resort back to his 3-4 tried and true levers to distract or gain sympathy from the fans and media...it's always some combination of honoring a once-great team that exceled before he was around, referencing Joe Gibbs, leaking stadium or name-change details, or referencing Sean Taylor. He's a little weasel who deserves every failure he's brought upon himself. 

As I've mentioned in the past year or two...I now revel in the predictably awful showings by the team. It's hilarious to watch Snyder look like a buffoon over and over again. It's too bad for the coaches and players, who for the most part deserve better. But, at least they all have the option of going elsewhere and this place is just one data point on their career. And, they are almost always paid well to put up with it for 1-5 years before moving on. 

I hope he's forced to sell so I can go back to rooting for the team to succeed and represent this area and fans in a positive way. But until he is, I'll continue to watch with glee as Snyder's teams get blown out more often than not and occasionally have the stars align for a .500 season.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

So he is a coward and you were wrong for defending his worthless excuse as the team President.

If he’s in hiding after he apologized to the fans and doesn’t bother showing up, he needs to be gone permanently. There is zero leadership there. There is no justifiable reason for him to skip the event after he issued his statement. He’s a liar and horrible at his job. 

Yes. You’re right, he should have been there.  i just thought i remembered seeing him in a picture posted by Mitch tischler yesterday. It wasn’t him. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If I were the owner, I think I would set year one aside and pretend like this season is the first of the rebuild and manage my expectations according to that time frame.  But I would absolutely also make Rivera overhaul his coaching staffs, and I would overhaul our pro-player scouting staff and process since they just produced a horrible free agency class.  I would also tell him to pick his next QB carefully and plan on sticking with him, because if he doesn't work out, then his ass is gone.

I get the point.  I'd agree if we have a normal owner but we don't.  Ours has the football IQ of an ape. 

The last thing I want from Dan is for him to decide what Ron should do with his coaching staff or for that matter scouting staff.  We've seen Dan play this game before,  Loading up Zorn with his coaching staff before he was hired.  Doing the same with Jay as for Haz among others.  We've also seen a long sample size of how Dan operates when he decided to meddle in the FO -- its comically awful.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise

On 10/17/2021 at 1:36 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

You can take shots at Jerry for meddling over the years, but no one can say that Jerry doesn't want to win. 

That was a really good post.

There are so many things Jerry did correctly, which were somewhere between innovative and ground-breaking.  What he has done with the Cowboy's brand over the past 30 years has been astounding.  The discovery of new revenue streams, the investment in the facilities and the stadium, all of that is world class.

HOWEVER.  Lest anybody forget, he basically, for purely egotistical reasons, blew up what could have been a four to five time SB championship team when he got himself all in a twist that Jimmy was getting more credit than he was for the building of a perennial SB team.  And then he installed a coach and coaching staff wo were just complete fools.  If you watch the "America's Game" special on that last Cowboys SB win, somebody (I don't remember who) said they basically won in-spite of the coaching, and it was rather remarkable.  

Anyway, Jerry blew all of it up for no good reason.  Then spent the next 10 years floundering around as the Eagles and Giants ruled the NFC East.  He brought Parcells in for a bit, and then that ended as well.

The primary difference since 2000 between the Cowboys and the Redskins is they had Tony Romo for a decade, and then struck gold with Dak.  I'd be really curious if Jerry would be received in exactly the same way if they had the multitude of QB failures like the WFT had over the past 20 years.  

Imagine if we had had Tony Romo instead of (deep breath) Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, traded up for RGII?  Was Romo the best QB of all time, and was he prone to a back-breaking mistake in the playoffs?  Sure.  Was he better than the dribble we had? Absolutely.  

So, I guess when people say he gets slammed for meddling, whatever, I think the level to which he meddled cannot be understated.  He literally took a gift-rapped dynasty and blew it to smithereens for absolutely no reason.  Granted, that was a long time ago.  But Dan still gets pinged (rightfully) on the 2000 off-season of big free-agent spending and firing Marty in 2001, so what's fair is fair. The destruction of a potential dynasty goes onto Jerry's room bill for sure.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

So many sad things about this.  However, the porta-johns are the cleanest I have ever seen them at FedEx, likely because 30K fans less using them.

The Chiefs are very considerate. They only **** on us on the field, instead of off it.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That was a really good post.

There are so many things Jerry did correctly, which were somewhere between innovative and ground-breaking.  What he has done with the Cowboy's brand over the past 30 years has been astounding.  The discovery of new revenue streams, the investment in the facilities and the stadium, all of that is world class.

HOWEVER.  Lest anybody forget, he basically, for purely egotistical reasons, blew up what could have been a four to five time SB championship team when he got himself all in a twist that Jimmy was getting more credit than he was for the building of a perennial SB team.  And then he installed a coach and coaching staff wo were just complete fools.  If you watch the "America's Game" special on that last Cowboys SB win, somebody (I don't remember who) said they basically won in-spite of the coaching, and it was rather remarkable.  

Anyway, Jerry blew all of it up for no good reason.  Then spent the next 10 years floundering around as the Eagles and Giants ruled the NFC East.  He brought Parcells in for a bit, and then that ended as well.

The primary difference since 2000 between the Cowboys and the Redskins is they had Tony Romo for a decade, and then struck gold with Dak.  I'd be really curious if Jerry would be received in exactly the same way if they had the multitude of QB failures like the WFT had over the past 20 years.  

Imagine if we had had Tony Romo instead of (deep breath) Jason Campbell, Todd Collins, Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, traded up for RGII?  Was Romo the best QB of all time, and was he prone to a back-breaking mistake in the playoffs?  Sure.  Was he better than the dribble we had? Absolutely.  

So, I guess when people say he gets slammed for meddling, whatever, I think the level to which he meddled cannot be understated.  He literally took a gift-rapped dynasty and blew it to smithereens for absolutely no reason.  Granted, that was a long time ago.  But Dan still gets pinged (rightfully) on the 2000 off-season of big free-agent spending and firing Marty in 2001, so what's fair is fair. The destruction of a potential dynasty goes onto Jerry's room bill for sure.

These are very good points.  And yes, I did forget that Jerry ruined that mid-90s dynasty with Jimmy Johnson for egotistical reasons...Barry Switzer was the next coach and he won a title with a loaded Cowboys team.  

Our quarterback issues have gone on longer than Snyder's tenure, however I don't think we'd ever have a Romo situation.  Let's not forget that Romo was a UDFA coming out of a college that no one paid any attention to.  He was a backup for a few years and finally got his chance to shine when Drew Bledsoe went down, IIRC.  I say this well aware of who our starting QB is right now, but in the mid 2000s, I don't think Tony Romo's story happens in DC with Snyder as owner and chasing shiny objects.  It's possible, but unlikely.  Jerry, always acting as de-facto GM of the Cowboys, gave Romo a shot.  I don't think Snyder would have had the understanding to do that.  

Our QB issues extend longer than Snyder's tenure as owner but it's certainly another ding on his resume of being a terrible, meddling owner.  It's obvious we need to draft and develop a franchise QB...the Chargers have such an ideal situation with Herbert, their future is so bright.  The Ravens have Jackson.  I just don't trust Snyder to have the right people/coaches in place to do it...and if he did, he'd **** it up, witness Haskins.  

waaay back in pre-season i read the tea leaves and posted that i wouldn't be posting much because i don't care for the debbie downer shtick which is how i'd come off as i saw little to be genuinely enthused about with the latest round of new changes

however i figured things could only get better and i certainly do respect ron's football acumen/resume' and even more his 'character' as a hc

but i also expressed to tk my skepticism when ron was hired that i thought he had really great character and locker-room assets and was an above average hc football-wise, but not a great hc in that area...and he was fired very legitimately (not a permanently damming indictment, just a real data point) after having a fair time to make things good again where he was

tbf, i want an hc (and qb) that can be among the top 10-12 and that's what the org's goal should be at minimum

i also told tk early on that i thought that jason would mainly serve as a  people-friendly, medai-savvy, and much more acceptable 'team face', but for we fans it would be more in the sense of 'putting lipstick on a pig' and not really add substantively to improving the direction/perception of this team as long as dan is still the head...same with tanya doing a 'look over here'

so i see a guy at hc who was down in his job performance from his previous heights, has great new health issues added to his plate, and all the drama of taking over a new org let alone one with dan at the helm, and all the baggage of our recent history, and think this task would be a very steep challenge even for many current hc's who have been consistently doing ok or even pretty good in recent years for their teams

so that's my context for ron (and company)---love him, want him to succeed for every reason there is, but my reality take is not really that rosy

nonetheless, i do want him to get at least another year for sure and i do think it is possible for him to get us back up there, but the odds are long imo

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

So somehow the defense was broken in the off-season.  I posted before, I think it's because the previous group of players had really good chemistry, and they just blew it up for no particular reason.  Or because Tom Brady broke the FO/Coaches confidence in the players.  

At the end of last year, you had Fuller, Darby, Moreau, Moreland, Curl and Reeves all playing well.  'Shazer was playing well until he got hurt. (again).  

Then in the off-season, they parted ways with Darby, ostensibly for an upgrade with WJIII. 

They drafted St. Juice, let Moreau and Moreland go, and then started to move people around.  Fuller was playing mostly outside last year, now he's all over the place, through often plays in the slot when St. Juice is healthy and plays outside.  

They re-inserted Landon Collins into the lineup, replacing probably their best playmaker, Curl, who was really starting to show out.  Why?  Who the hell knows.

They are trying to get away with playing with 1 LB, Holcomb, and using Collins, McCain and Curl together as some type of a hybrid Safety/LB group.  

I think they've gotten themselves all in a twist, and it's completely broken what they had going.

What is absolutely fascinating is you would have thought that since Ron is the ultimate decision maker, and he hand picked his 2 GMs, you would not have thought this would have happened.  Because coaches actually GET this kind of thing more than a lot of front office types.  They understand chemistry, fit, scheme, etc.  It's actually much more common for coaches with personnel power to stick with something too long than go away from it, at least that's my perception.  They get comfortable with their guys, the guys who are developing, and they don't want to move off of them.

It's often a separate GM who puts long-term growth ahead of short-term chemistry (often correctly), because they can take a longer-term view.

It's really interesting this group made such a hash of the defense in the off-season.  And NOBODY saw it coming.  In a vacuum, WJIII for Darby does seem like an upgrade.  St. Juice is a good draft pick, and can develop.  

I personally think what is showing is 2 GLARING personnel gaffs:  #1: They did NOT adequately address the LB position.  Bringing John Bostic back and thinking he could play was a huge mistake.  Leader or no. (This is exactly the type of mistake Coach/GM folks make.  It's my Reed Doughty comparison.  Great guy, coachable, physically limited.  Gibbs loved him.)  #2: They needed to just cut Landon Collins, or put him on IR and just not let him see the field, because he can do nothing well, and they keep trying to figure it out, and it's not working.

I think back to the discussions when Ron was hired as the Head of Football Ops/Head Coach, and the question was, "should there be a GM first?"  And I always said I didn't really care.  Ideally you have a GM and a Coach working together, both reporting to the owner, but I didn't like that idea here.  So I was fine with Coach first, GM second.  I still think I am.  And I think Ron isn't stupid, and Marty and Martin are not stupid, so I think there is hope (on the football side) they figure it out.  

I wonder if a "stand alone" GM would have made similar defensive adjustments.  I dunno.  Everything sortof made sense when they did it, it just hasn't worked out. There are plenty of bad GMs out there who do completely crazy-stupid roster things and screw the team/coaches. As there are plenty of good ones.  The best scenario is always a symbiotic relationship between the coach/GM, where it's a team.  I actually think that's what we have here, even though Ron has the final decision making authority.  So maybe it works long-term?  Dunno.  It's not working now.  

I'm just really shocked they didn't realize they were screwing up the chemistry when they did it, because I kindof would have thought Ron would have seen that.  

• Like 6

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I get the point.  I'd agree if we have a normal owner but we don't.  Ours has the football IQ of an ape. 

The last thing I want from Dan is for him to decide what Ron should do with his coaching staff or for that matter scouting staff.  We've seen Dan play this game before,  Loading up Zorn with his coaching staff before he was hired.  Doing the same with Jay as for Haz among others.  We've also seen a long sample size of how Dan operates when he decided to meddle in the FO -- its comically awful.  

I agree, head coach needs to own his staff. Hire and fire as he sees fit, not the owners job. But at the end of the day, good, bad or indifferent the head coach owns the product on the field. Assuming of course the HC is given the leeway to hire and fire his own staff.

24 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

These are very good points.  And yes, I did forget that Jerry ruined that mid-90s dynasty with Jimmy Johnson for egotistical reasons...Barry Switzer was the next coach and he won a title with a loaded Cowboys team.  

I need to go back and watch that America's Game episode on that Cowboys team.  It was the only one I really could stomach because (if I remember correctly) the players and media folks interviewed basically tatooed the label "Moron" on Switzer's head.  There were some really great stories in it.  It kindof proved that ANYBODY could have won with that team.  Jerry really screwed up, he should have just taken the coach job himself to give himself all the glory.  

Our quarterback issues have gone on longer than Snyder's tenure, however I don't think we'd ever have a Romo situation.  Let's not forget that Romo was a UDFA coming out of a college that no one paid any attention to.  He was a backup for a few years and finally got his chance to shine when Drew Bledsoe went down, IIRC.  I say this well aware of who our starting QB is right now, but in the mid 2000s, I don't think Tony Romo's story happens in DC with Snyder as owner and chasing shiny objects.  It's possible, but unlikely.  Jerry, always acting as de-facto GM of the Cowboys, gave Romo a shot.  I don't think Snyder would have had the understanding to do that.  

Eh, I'm not so sure.  Don't forget it was Parcells who found, developed and promoted Romo. Jerry gave him a shot, but Parcells is one hell of a strong personality, and I'm sure he somewhat told Jerry what to do.  If Gibbs had "found" an UDFA, I don't think Dan would have gotten in the way.  

Dan has done a ton of stupid, but for the first 12 years of his tenure, the only big-name QB he chased was Geoff George in 2000.  After that, for Marty it was Tony Banks, then Spurrier was a whole bunch of crap ex-gators including Danny W. Then Gibbs brought in Mark Brunnell and drafted JC, which was the opposite of flashy.  Then for Zorn it was JC and Todd Collins, again, not flashy.

The next flashy guy was McNabb, then the Griffin trade in 2012.  Dan also allowed Jay to sit Griffin and play Kirk.  

The big boo-boo for the contract thing with Kirk was after the 2015 season not coming to a long-term agreement.  Depending on who you listen to, though, Kirk already was demanding a fully guaranteed deal.  And I'm completely fine with the team not paying what the Vikings paid for Kirk.  

Then there was Alex Smith, which was not flashy.  

Our QB issues extend longer than Snyder's tenure as owner but it's certainly another ding on his resume of being a terrible, meddling owner.  It's obvious we need to draft and develop a franchise QB...the Chargers have such an ideal situation with Herbert, their future is so bright.  The Ravens have Jackson.  I just don't trust Snyder to have the right people/coaches in place to do it...and if he did, he'd **** it up, witness Haskins.  

Well, he ****ed it up with Griffin more than anything.  Because he chose to take Griffin's side rather than Shanahan's side.  Which was so amazingly stupid. 

Here's the thing, we have drafted 1st round QBs and tried to develop them 4 times:  Patrick Ramsey, Jason Campbell, Griffin, Haskins.   The best QB we've drafted has been Cousins.  

But I'm not sure Dan really screwed up Ramsey or JC.  They were just bad picks and in the end, couldn't play.  Griffin had potential, and he screwed it up. (Though combined with the fact unless he was willing to play the way he was playing in 2012, he couldn't play either.  And I'm not sure his body would have held up, regardless.)  

Haskins was a debacle and a half.  That was the icing on the cake of stupid.  

You bring up Herbert as a good example, however I'll counter with Tua.  Who was picked ahead of Herbert.  For every 1st round QB which hits, there are those that don't.  You have to be a little lucky to be in position to draft a guy, draft him, and have him pan out.  You also need a coaching staff in place to develop them.  Tua is steaming towards the bust pile.

So, I'm not sure if I would pick a QB in the first round and try and develop them.  I might go all-in on a proven top-tier vet if one is actually available.  For this franchise.  Maybe not for all franchises.  

• Like 3