Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz

I have no ill will towards Wright.

He’s doing what he has to for his employment and paycheck. I will never judge a man for making a living.

But… I thought he was going to be changing the culture and he’s not.

I’m not quite sure how to word this but… I didn’t lose respect for him as a man, but these recent actions have made me realize that he’s just a guy making a living and not helping to move this franchise forward. 

• Like 10

Put me in the camp that does think Dan is an idiot and also a total social misfit.  It took me awhile to get there. But I am just about completely convinced of it.  Too much evidence of it.    Bad dude.  But also has plenty of stupid in him IMO.   He's not the evil genius type you'd see in a James Bond movie.  I get the mindset that he could be because of how mean spirited the dude is.  But he'd be a boring Bond villain.   Too stupid for that.   Bond would outwit him in the first 5 minutes of the plot and it would be over. 😀

I used to think he was just some slick-obnoxious dude who thinks he knows football but he doesn't and that all he knows is marketing, etc. No more.  He doesn't know marketing either.  I'll give him he understood the 1990s marketing.  And how to exploit the fan base he inherited initially.  But he lost his touch after that to put it mildly.   He had a simple bag of tricks and has nothing left in the bag now.  No imagination.  No grasp of his audience anymore.  It's been a long time since he could at least understand his audience a little to try to snow them.  But over the years its become apparent, he just had one trick up his bag, and that's all he had.   

Dan for starters doesn't have a grasp on his audeince.  That's marketing faux pas #1.  I've talked about it for years on the GM thread.  It wasn't hard to see what he could do to regain trust with fans.  But he didn't do it.  He doubled down on things that put his market off.  And really dumb level crap that we talked about a lot on that thread.  Dumb move after dumb move.   We talked about this plenty about how it will have damaging effects on the fan base -- step by step as it was going down. You didn't have to be Nostradamus to see it coming.  He was the main orchestrator of this team's fan base demise and most of us could see it coming a mile away -- he on the other hand was too stupid to see it so he drove the ship right into the iceberg.   

As i mentioned before the way he and Bruce went after the stadium based on the reports I read at the time was really really dumb.  And I explained why in detail.

The way he treats people. They way he treats his customer base.  The way he runs his organization.  And when he does override his scouting staff because he thinks he knows better -- really really, really dumb.  Sheehan mentioned including recently that he heard they did an internal poll in 2019 and Dan was shocked that his poll numbers had about a 5% approval.  To put that in perspective, having done some polls myself, i could probably get 5% approval for a terroist if I put him on a poll.  60% disapproval is code red danger zone.  95% means your fried, done, finished, no coming back.  The fact that the dude was shocked by it is another example of how this dude is delusional as heck.  

Dan was ambitious back in the day, figured out how to make money via telemarketing.  It was smart on that front.  But times have passed him by long ago.  Most of his other business ventures have been fat failures.  The only reason why running this team has been a financial boom for him is because its an NFL team which prints money -- otherwise he would have run this business in the ground just like the others.

He's just a jock sniffer with some of the worst business instincts I've even seen from any owner in sports.    And his "moves" to placate fans are so transparent that to me they are in turn stupid.  Good PR is all about your audience not even knowing its PR or if they did they accept because it comes off so well.  Dan is as transparent as it gets.  Dumb owner.  Bad guy. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 8

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I used to think he was just some slick-obnoxious dude who thinks he knows football but he doesn' and that all he knows is marketing, etc. No more.  He doesn't know marketing either.  I'll give him he understood the 1990s marketing.  And how to exploit the fan base he inherited.

Dan was ambitious back in the day, figured out how to make money via telemarketing.  It was smart on that front.  But times have passed him be.

The tyranny of success.

When you achieve success using a specific strategy (ex. Telemarketing) for an industry. And you attribute the success to that strategy. You become attached to it… because of past validation. So then, in the future, in different circumstances/situations, instead of adapting and coming up with new strategies which are context appropriate, it’s tempting to simply replicate old familiar patterns (strategies) instead of just believing in himself.

He could have made the business/culture an outward expression of the man he aspires to be. It could have been his legacy.

Dan Snyder doesn’t need a sports franchise. He doesn’t need lawyers. He needs a therapist. He’s carrying around some significant trauma.

Everything with the franchise now is just shallow windrow dressing.

I don’t care who he trots out… reputable people and progressive hirings. 

He needs to stop hiding in the shadows. He needs own his crap. 

And stop hiding behind Rivera, Wright and Tanya.

Edited by Die Hard
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, Lombardi's_kid_brother said:

It’s a fun theory. But baseball viewed DC as a dangerous city they had rejected the sport twice until the 90s. At that point, The Orioles believed it was their market.

Good point - though we'd later learn that wasn't necessarily so. The Expansion Senators were poorly run, seldom gave fans anything to cheer for, and was ultimately bought by a guy who had a history of moving franchises (Bob Short sold his own home state out moving the Lakers from Minneapolis to LA). And of course, Calvin Griffith moving the original Senators to the Twin Cities because it...shall we say, "got too dark, too early" in D.C. for his liking.

Anyway, it was just something that crossed my mind. JKC seemed to have a mind that was always moving, for better for worse, and I reckon this crossed it a time or two.

1 minute ago, Die Hard said:

The tyranny of success.

When you achieve success using a specific strategy (ex. Telemarketing) for an industry. And you attribute the success to that strategy. You become attached to it… because of past validation. So then, in the future, in different circumstances/situations, instead of adapting and coming up with new strategies which are context appropriate, it’s tempting to simply replicate old familiar patterns (strategies). Instead of just believing in himself… and making the business/culture an outward expression of the man he aspires to be.

Yep.  I think Sheehan sums up Dan the best -- arrogant and delusional.

The stories about Dan remind me of a client I had who was very successful with a start up tech company in the late 90s, he opened an office for a major tech company back then and piggybacked on its success.  Made a lot of money.  He fancied himself a genius when I worked with him in the early 2000.   Obnoxious as heck about it. 

His fortune has declined  in the last 10 years as he's tried different ventures.   He's a shell of himself.  But the ego has never gone away.   He got himself into his share of personal entanglements, too.  He is still obnoxious around people.  Most don't like him.  But like Dan he also has a flunky nearby to validate him.   I actually still get along with him but I got to do it by playing by his rules - that is, I don't shake up his view of himself. 

Do I consider that dude, smart?  Nope.  I think I and many other people I know could easily outwit him.  I've worked with a lot of people over the years and he'd be among the last people I'd ever ask advice about running a business or taking on any venture.   Any person that IMO lives in a fog and is out of touch with the people around them and their own capabilities isn't that smart IMO. 

I work with plenty of smart people including successful people who can maintain their success in their current or other ventures.  Everyone is different but if I had to pick a common ingredient its that they have some self awareness and good people skills.  I don't think its easy to be successful without at least one of those two qualities.  Dan doesn't seem to have either one.   Dan is lucky that he happens to run a business that is just about fool proof.  Otherwise it would go down the tubes financially just like his Johny Rockets, Six Flags, Radio Stations, etc. 

I think the kicker about Dan is how this team is also like his college fraternity.  His need of a social life oriented around the team adds to his odd ball ways.  Going to Vegas with Clinton Portis.  Bowling with RG3.  The carribean with the Shannys.  Hanging out with Alex Smith.  Playing put put golf with Bruce Allen.  I thought it was weird when Keim who is no flame thrower said in a podcast years ago from talking to people in that building, Dan always needs a go to friend in that building to hang with.

Every now and then this clip gets posted.  I always think when watching it, if this doesn't sum up Dan nothing does...

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

I don't know what to make of Jason Wright.  I don't believe he is a bad guy because only bad guys would take that job. I see an African American being offered a job very few AAs are offered, of course he would jump at the chance and he would have been a fool not to.  Now I do believe Snyder, either through the NFL or on his own, figured he absolutely had to hire a person of color for the position. And I have no problem with that, there are PLENTY of qualified AAs if they only got the chance.  But we must realize he has a boss and I firmly believe this rush to retire Sean Taylor's jersey came from Dan Snyder to take the heat off.  So I don't even blame Wright for that.

But as posted he needed to get in front of a mike and explain the timing, releasing statements is a coward's way.  And then there is the lie.  While it's somewhat understandable, just what was he supposed to say the truth?  "Yeah we were really in a bind so we did this to make us look better"? But it's still a lie and then he lied again.

F this team. I hope they lose 74-0.  

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 3

It just feels like it’s time for the NFL to close the book on this team staying in DC.  Move it elsewhere, restart it as a new organization with no ties to the past, and just move on.  This **** show can never be fixed.  Those of us who remember the glory days can live with our memories of the good times as if the DS era never happened.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Catatonic said:

It just feels like it’s time for the NFL to close the book on this team staying in DC.  Move it elsewhere, restart it as a new organization with no ties to the past, and just move on.  This **** show can never be fixed.  Those of us who remember the glory days can live with our memories of the good times as if the DS era never happened.  

DC is too large of a market. 

That said if they did move a team is a virtual lock they’d get another team to DC fairly quickly.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep.  I think Sheehan sums up Dan the best -- arrogant and delusional.

The stories about Dan remind me of a client I had who was very successful with a start up tech company in the late 90s, he opened an office for a major tech company back then and piggybacked on its success.  Made a lot of money.  He fancied himself a genius when I worked with him in the early 2000.   Obnoxious as heck about it. 

His fortune has declined  in the last 10 years as he's tried different ventures.   He's a shell of himself.  But the ego has never gone away.   He got himself into his share of personal entanglements, too.  He is still obnoxious around people.  Most don't like him.  But like Dan he also has a flunky nearby to validate him.   I actually still get along with him but I got to do it by playing by his rules - that is, I don't shake up his view of himself. 

Do I consider that dude, smart?  Nope.  I think I and many other people I know could easily outwit him.  I've worked with a lot of people over the years and he'd be among the last people I'd ever ask advice about running a business or taking on any venture.   Any person that IMO lives in a fog and is out of touch with the people around them and their own capabilities isn't that smart IMO. 

I work with plenty of smart people including successful people who can maintain their success in their current or other ventures.  Everyone is different but if I had to pick a common ingredient its that they have some self awareness and good people skills.  I don't think its easy to be successful without at least one of those two qualities.  Dan doesn't seem to have either one.   Dan is lucky that he happens to run a business that is just about fool proof.  Otherwise it would go down the tubes financially just like his Johny Rockets, Six Flags, Radio Stations, etc. 

I think the kicker about Dan is how this team is also like his college fraternity.  His need of a social life oriented around the team adds to his odd ball ways.  Going to Vegas with Clinton Portis.  Bowling with RG3.  The carribean with the Shannys.  Hanging out with Alex Smith.  Playing put put golf with Bruce Allen.  I thought it was weird when Keim who is no flame thrower said in a podcast years ago from talking to people in that building, Dan always needs a go to friend in that building to hang with.

Every now and then this clip gets posted.  I always think when watching it, if this doesn't sum up Dan nothing does...

Good grief, I can’t believe I missed this. The only way I can react to this is 🤢🤮.

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

That said if they did move a team is a virtual lock they’d get another team to DC fairly quickly.

As long as DS isn’t involved, that would be fantastic. 

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

there was a time when I would absolutely hate this. But at this point if it gets rid of Dan Snyder do what it takes.  

Edited by goskins10
  • Like 1

I forgot to mention this, a WP reporter Hobson was on Sheehan's show on Friday.  He said in the interview that the WP is working on a story about how Dan and the league ended up holding hands at the end of this as far as the investigation. He gave the vibe that it won't be a flattering story for both parties.  He also said that while Synder tried to stop Wilkinson from interviewing the lady who Dan paid off in a settlement over whatever happened on the plane coming back from the country awards show -- Snyder was too late on that front and Wilkinson indeed interviewed that lady.  So for what its worth, Wilkinson does know what happened even though it hasn't gone public. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/10/15/washington-football-team-cover-up/

All of the Wilkinson-acquired emails need to be released to the public, which the NFL has refused to allow. Somewhere in Wilkinson’s office is some kind of written report — or at the very least transcripts of the 150 interviews the NFL said she conducted. All of that needs to become public, too.

Wilkinson hasn’t spoken publicly since the NFL announced her findings — or, at least, a general overview of them — in July. Lawyers are rarely silent, especially when a case or an investigation is completed. Wilkinson, it should be noted, has an exemplary reputation among lawyers in the area. And yet not a word. You have to wonder whether the NFL insisted on some sort of nondisclosure from her — at the same time that it refused a written report.

No one is better than Goodell at wringing his hands and saying “woe-is-me” when the NFL is publicly embarrassed. His 2020 pseudo-apology to Colin Kaepernick, long after Kaepernick had been blackballed out of the league, was both eloquent and empty.

He’s terribly upset about the league’s lack of Black coaches — three men out of 32 jobs — but will he publicly blast his almost exclusively White ownership for consistently failing to hire qualified Black candidates? Put it this way: He has 44 million reasons (annually) to keep his mouth shut and wring his hands some more.

Now, though, the entire Washington debacle has gone well past the hand-wringing, let’s-put-a-different-face-out-front stage. Jason Wright, the new team president, is sharp and apparently well meaning, but most of his public comments simply parrot the Snyder/NFL “it’s all good now” stance. You can bet Tanya Snyder won’t be giving more interviews — even ones filled with hanging curveballs — anytime soon. Her husband will continue to hide out and laugh all the way to the bank.

...Bottom line: Snyder should be forced to sell, but there’s no way that’s going to happen on Goodell’s watch. We all know good old rich boys don’t do that sort of thing to one another. They just wait for the TV networks to continue to make them even richer while announcers blather on about what wonderful people they are.

If they’re half as wonderful as their paid marketers insist, here’s their chance to prove it: By making this investigation public — today. I’m not holding my breath.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

My take away from all of this is we are underestimating Dan. He’s not a buffoon. He’s a calculating sociopath able to lure in just about anyone he sets his eyes on and it ultimately never sticks to him when it all blows up time after time. The dude has better survival skills than Rasputin. His sales skills are obviously superior to Jason Wright’s and he doesn’t have the cheekbones to help drive the sale and he makes the sales to a much more discerning clientele. 

The dude sucks in some of the best people in the business despite his history. These aren’t suckers he has brought in from Gibbs to Shanahan, Rivera etc. It’s actually really impressive in some ways.  Not ways that are good as a  Redskins fan, but maybe for like a person studying sociopaths or mass murder type figures. We are stuck with the dude and we aren’t leaving because we would have already left and he knows it. So it really doesn’t matter what he does now. The worst is behind him and he can only get stronger from the time he bought out his minority partners unfortunately. 

I see where you're coming from but it's not hard to sell NFL positions no matter how ****ty your team is.  Take into account that people like Gibbs, Shanny, Rivera etc are confident in their skills and think they can be the ones to help right the ship, it's not really surprising.

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I see where you're coming from but it's not hard to sell NFL positions no matter how ****ty your team is.  Take into account that people like Gibbs, Shanny, Rivera etc are confident in their skills and think they can be the ones to help right the ship, it's not really surprising.

It’s probably a good opportunity to really analyze what you just said as well:

Shanahan, Gibbs, Rivera.

Super Bowl winning head coaches (and a guy who coached in a Super Bowl).

All three got this sunken franchise to the playoffs in the Snyder era but couldn’t successfully turn the page on the culture (jury is out on Rivera doing that but… not looking good).

That should be proof positive that it’s not the coaches. It’s not the players. It’s beyond them all. 

Clearly the more successful NFL men have had the most success. Certainly the excellent players have managed to play well here.

But there is significant cap to success here and a limited timeframe for it.

Bad coaches and bad players flop hard. Excellent coaches and excellent players get us to mediocrity. 

Proof is in the pudding. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It would be fun to watch Dan run a failing team in a small market.  I'm not so sure that the NFL wouldn't be happy to move Dan to StL in settlement of the lawsuit (StL would probably prefer cash), and push the Ravens on DC.  The combined Baltimore and DC television markets have approximately the same number of households as Chicago, so it's not a ridiculous proposition.  I don't know a ton about the DC market, but my college roommate lived in NOVA and we would sometimes stay at his house and shoot up to Baltimore for a baseball game or the Preakness.  I don't recall it being a big deal.  But I will defer to the locals for insight on whether the Redskins market would adopt the Ravens as their home team.

DC was a huge market 20 years ago. Now they have 3 teams in their area who are much better. The city's population is growing faster every year because fans of other teams moving there, pushing natives out. 

Unless they figure out a way to really resell the fan experience and put a successful team on the field year in year out, there's no reason to keep a DC team.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

DC was a huge market 20 years ago. Now they have 3 teams in their area who are much better. The city's population is growing faster every year because fans of other teams moving there, pushing natives out. 

Unless they figure out a way to really resell the fan experience and put a successful team on the field year in year out, there's no reason to keep a DC team.

Yep and the older generation that grew up watching this team win is dying off. The current generation is way more into the Caps and Nats. There is very little zeal for the Football Team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Catatonic said:

I've been saying: cut our loses for this franchise and give us an expansion team. Start new. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

there was a time when I would absolutely hate this. But at this point if it gets rid of Dan Snyder do what it takes.  

I would second that as of now.

Still, I don't know which city would volunteer to host the **** show this team is nowadays.

I bet they'd rather have an expansion team than have Dan Snyder coming to town.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Jerry Jones has been caught with hookers and blow and meddles with his players and coaches about as much as anyone and he's still respected. 

Jones has the courage to face the music and answer for things publicly.  Some say behind the scenes, he's a super nice guy, stubborn but nice.  Dan is described as being stubborn but also a mega jerk.

According to some Dallas' success of late has a lot to do with Will McClay who is considered one of the better personnel guys in the business.  And in recent years, Jerry has backed off.  For example supposedly Jerry wanted to take Johnny Manziel (ala our owner wanting Haskins) but Jerry backed off and they took Z. Martin instead. 

Our owner supposedly based on reports or radio segments

Overruled the scouts and took Haskins.  Some say Kyle had a 3rd round grade on him. Some said 2nd.

Heard this recently from Russell on the air, that Kyle didn't want Guice, he liked the player but the red flags concerned him.  Overruled by Dan.

Scouts wanted Jordy Nelson.  Dan wanted Malcom Kelly.  

Dan-Vinny tried to give 2 first rounders for Chad Johnson.  Fortunately the Bengals who at times are as dumb as Dan turned it down.

Dan liked Mark Sanchez but got outbid.

Dan had a man crush on Brady Quinn, fortunately on that one the scouts talked him out of it.

Supposedly Patrick Ramsey was who he wanted

He didn't like Brad Johnson, his idea to ultimately swap him for Jeff George

His brainchild to go after McNabb

I think we can find an average 2nd grader who knows nothing about football, to throw darts against the board and randomly make personnel moves and still outwit Dan.  I'll double down that Dan isn't just sleazy but also the most incompetent owner in the NFL and maybe American sports.

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/nfl-draft-true-story-jerry-jones-dallas-cowboys-and-almost-johnny-manziel

FRiSCO - It's going to happen every April now, and as the years go by, the tale will grow taller. "Jerry Jones almost forced his Dallas Cowboys to take Johnny Manziel in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft.''

It's a helluva story. It's got it all. Controversial owner, colorful kid, Texas QB, first-round arguments ... Unfortunately, it's mostly all baloney.

The truth, via those who lived it:

The Cowboys certainly considered the Texas A&M sensation at some point way before their turn came around to the No. 16 overall pick in that spring's NFL Draft. The team had no heir to the aging Tony Romo and imagine what the Cowboys marketing department could've cooked up with "Johnny Football''!

In the days leading up to the draft, owner Jerry Jones still liked the idea. But by Draft Day, he'd been made to see the light: Manziel wasn't going to be graded or rated higher on Dallas' Big Board than two potential stars who the scouting department predicted would be there:

Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier and Notre Dame guard Zack Martin.

And then Draft Day came. And the night inched toward Pick No. 16 ...

By this time, personnel boss Will McClay's stewardship worked to avoid the confusion of the spring before, when Jones' Cowboys clearly allowed themselves to be embarrassed by indecision regarding highly-ranked (but oddly passed-over) first-round defensive tackle Shariff Floyd.

And in 2014, there was no confusion. Staffer Robert Blackwell was in New York and he was instructed to write two names on potential turn-into-the-league cards.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I wish I was rich.

Meh… rich people aren’t happy. Oh sure, they think they’re happy. They go their whole lives feeling like they’re happy every minute of every day. But trust me… they ain’t.

Edited by Sacks 'n' Stuff
  • Haha 2

• Jumbo locked this topic
  • Jumbo unlocked this topic