Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

27 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I can’t speak for everyone else, but personally, I’m still a fan because it’s going to make the super bowl parade (whenever it happens, and no I’m not stupid, I’m well aware it’ll be a longggggg time.....) will just be that much sweeter if i stick this one out. No lie, if/when that redwolves super bowl parade comes, I’m buying handles of Jack Daniels and partying in the streets of DC with whoever’s left 😂 lord knows we’ll all deserve it......

So it’s edging, but for sports! 

• Haha 8

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yep and told everyone Doug is the defacto GM, while Doug admitted that he learned about the Alex Smith trade basically along with the fans once the deal was done by Bruce.   Then of course we got the ridiculous press release blasting one of his players, thinking maybe that would help the PR side of things.  Then that weird battle with Trent.  He's not the most thoughtful-brightest guy all the time.    Agents saying he was the least trustworthy GM in the league -- how could that be?

To be fair, he never told everyone that Doug was the de facto GM, and Doug said himself immediately after his hiring that he did not want to be the GM due to all the responsibilities. Fans called him the de facto GM, though.

6 minutes ago, Califan007 said:

To be fair, he never told everyone that Doug was the de facto GM, and Doug said himself immediately after his hiring that he did not want to be the GM due to all the responsibilities. Fans called him the de facto GM, though.

That's semantics. 

I don't care if they call the spot GM or not.  That's just the odd WFT structure where no one got that specific name in the title, whether its Scot, Bruce or Doug.  Their weird way of how they title things.  And yeah Doug wanted to be in charge of personnel but not the contracts and bureaucracy component of the job

Is your point that Bruce didn't imply that Doug was in charge of personnel?   So nothing wrong with Bruce making a big trade without Doug knowing it?  If so then yeah we got a disagreement. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That's semantics. 

I don't care if they call the spot GM or not.  That's just the odd WFT structure where no one got that specific name in the title, whether its Scot, Bruce or Doug.  Their weird way of how they title things.  And yeah Doug wanted to be in charge of personnel but not the contracts and bureucracy component of the job

Is your point that Bruce didn't imply that Doug was in charge of personnel?   So nothing wrong with Bruce making a big trade without Doug knowing it?  If so then yeah we got a disagreement. 

Not semantics.

At the time, fans ridiculed the idea of Williams coming to Allen with a plan after Scot M was fired that did NOT include a GM. Everyone cynically (and correctly) said that Bruce was the GM, regardless of what they were saying. Nobody even remotely thought Doug was the GM at the time his promotion was announced...only when Bruce made moves without Doug (or Doug made moves without gaining Bruce's approval first--Adrian Peterson, for example) did you start hearing "I thought Doug was the GM?"...I remember because I corrected a ****load of people at the time lol...

At any rate, it's not semantics when you say Bruce told everyone that Doug was the GM, when the reality was that both were saying he was not. I'm not sure why we ignore Doug's own words on the matter.

Redskins Won't Name New GM, As Doug Williams Ascends To Senior VP of Player personnel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/football-insider/wp/2017/06/13/redskins-promote-former-qb-doug-williams-to-senior-vp-of-player-personnel/

Doug Williams Doesn't Want To Be GM, He Doesn't Want To Be Head Coach Either

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/washington-redskins/doug-williams-doesnt-want-be-gm-he-doesnt-want-be-head-coach-either

"Doug Williams came to Bruce Allen with a precise plan, and nowhere in that plan was the term general manager. As Williams spoke Tuesday he explained that his desire is specific: finding good football players...What makes Williams' promotion perhaps most interesting is that he was very specific that he didn't want to be GM. He only wants to be in charge of personnel - finding good players - and not all the ancillary things that fall in line with the general manager position. "

Doug Williams isn’t the Redskins’ GM, but he’s no pushover

https://www.washingtonpost.com/express/wp/2017/06/13/doug-williams-isnt-the-redskins-gm-but-hes-no-pushover/

(this article is especially hilarious to read in retrospect lol)

Being GM is more than being the head scout.

Edited by Califan007

So… 

The ****show continues.

Gruden gets canned in LV because he (allegedly) said and did some pretty insensitive and stupid and hateful things. Forgive me if I didn’t use enough bad words to describe his actions.

He got caught, though, because they were investigating the WFT toxic work environment. No, not the DEA raids. The other stuff. What other stuff?

Gruden allegedly had emails with allegedly naked Washington cheerleaders who were allegedly forced to pose nude for these alleged pictures. 

And he was in correspondence (allegedly) with Bruce Allen. 

It’s always, always, always something with this franchise. The owner needs to go and we need a fresh start. Don’t name the team until this franchise hits the reboot button. 

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 9
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So… 

The ****show continues.

Gruden gets canned in LV because he (allegedly) said and did some pretty insensitive and stupid and hateful things. Forgive me if I didn’t use enough bad words to describe his actions.

He got caught, though, because they were investigating the WFT toxic work environment. No, not the DEA raids. The other stuff. What other stuff?

Gruden allegedly had emails with allegedly naked Washington cheerleaders who were allegedly forced to pose nude for these alleged pictures. 

It’s always, always, always something with this franchise. The owner needs to go and we need a fresh start. Don’t name the team until this franchise hits the reboot button. 

Absolutely!!! 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

So… 

The ****show continues.

And then you have people saying, "But Dan didn't know about the e-mails!"  Dude, that's even WORSE if true.  But he did know about so many other effing things with this team.

He needs to go.  Now it's starting to impact other teams, too.  I'm hoping that sends a shockwave through the other 30 teams to see what kind of **** Snyder allows to happen.

Edited by NewCliche21
Submitted too soon
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Maybe it's just me, but Dan not having e-mail is rather alarming.  Sounds like mafia strategy.

That is (allegedly) exactly what it is. No written proof? He can't be involved or be complacent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

Not semantics.

At the time, fans ridiculed the idea of Williams coming to Allen with a plan after Scot M was fired that did NOT include a GM. Everyone cynically (and correctly) said that Bruce was the GM, regardless of what they were saying. Nobody even remotely thought Doug was the GM at the time his promotion was announced...only when Bruce made moves without Doug (or Doug made moves without gaining Bruce's approval first--Adrian Peterson, for example) did you start hearing "I thought Doug was the GM?"...I remember because I corrected a ****load of people at the time lol...

It is semantics to my point.  I posted 50,000 times or so on the GM thread I knew all about the titles.   And you know I knew it since you were one of the ones who often debated on the opposite side of me on that GM thread.  They can call the title king, GM, VP, I don't give a rats behind.  My point was he was billed as in charge of personnel. 

As for whether we believed it.  I know I didn't but that was irrelevant to my point, too.   My point was Bruce tried to fool fans into thinking Doug was in charge of personnel.     Yes he didn't get the GM title.  Neither did Bruce.  Neither did Scot.  I think we all knew that here.  I used the word GM to connote in charge of personnel.  You didn't like me doing that, ok cool, deepest apologies. ;)    I meant in charge of personnel.  OK?  Is it really off topic to him finding out about the Alex Smith trade after it went down?

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/washington-names-ex-buc-doug-williams-senior-vp-of-player-personnel/2327192/

ASHBURN, Va. — Once a Super Bowl MVP, Doug Williams waited his entire post-playing career to run a professional team.

"You want this day to come," he said. "When you get up every morning, you hope it'll come."

It's here. The former quarterback is now in charge of Washington as senior vice president of player personnel. He's running the show

"I was proud of when Doug presented his plan because his vision was a team," Allen said at a news conference. "He was a quarterback again leading a team."

Williams, who has been with Washington since February 2014, will run the personnel department and work in concert with Eric Schaffer, director of pro personnel Alex Santos, Kyle Smith — son of former NFL executive A.J. Smith — and coach Jay Gruden. Schaffer was promoted to senior VP of football operations and general counsel, Smith to director of college scouting, Tim Gribble to assistant director of college scouting and Richard Mann to assistant director of pro personnel.

After Washington fired McCloughan, Allen considered bringing in someone from the outside but decided to stay in-house by hiring one of the most prominent players in franchise history. Williams was the first black quarterback to lead a team to victory in the Super Bowl and earned MVP honors in the title game after the 1987 season.

"Based on his track record as a player, that's some great credibility," Schaffer said. "I think that's a great role for Doug, and I think players have a trust with Doug."

But Williams brushed off the notion of being a "celebrity" hire because of his connections to Washington's Super Bowl past that they've been desperate to recapture. Before his time with the Bucs and Washington, Williams scouted for the Jaguars, coached at the college level at Grambling State and was a high school athletic director.

Gruden brought Williams onto the field at the end of Tuesday's minicamp practice and said it was good to have someone players can talk to, but won't just be "a shoulder to cry on" and will demand greatness.

https://www.si.com/nfl/washingtonfootball/news/the-right-move-for-doug

In January of 2020, Redskins legend Doug Williams was named Senior Vice President of Player Development. 

In June of 2017, Doug Williams was officially named the Senior Vice President of Player Personnel for the Washington Redskins. 

A change of title by one word, but quite a significant difference, if you believe his former title was authentic. 

Bruce Allen, at that point, still the President of the franchise, said this in a press conference that I was "lucky enough" to be at. 

“After the (2017) draft, I started talking to people outside of the Redskins about the opportunity and wanted to head what their vision was for this position and what role they thought they could fit to help the Redskins win," Allen said. "Talked to over a dozen candidates and must say that some were impressive and some might fit the role of what we were looking for. But there was one person who we had met with inside the Redskins that we know will fit the role. It’s a person that I hired in 2004 with Tampa, and when you’re looking for someone in this position, you want somebody who has unquestionable character, great leadership skills, a presence and a great teammate for everyone around him, and that pointed to Doug.

“In Doug’s interview with us, he presented a plan and we had several talks after that and we accepted Doug’s plan. His resume is impressive, as you all know, but it’s really remarkable when you consider everything he’s done that matters in this job.

...It was a very eloquent statement by Allen, but he never explained how exactly Williams' leadership and wonderful qualities, translated to leading the lifeblood of any NFL franchise. 

When you are in charge of all personnel, you have to be more than a leader and a communicator. You have to be a player evaluation wiz. 

Williams did not arrive back in Washington with an important title or the reputation of being a great personnel evaluator. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

2 hours ago, SoCalSkins said:

The investigation is over. This is Dan driving the knife into Bruce for trying to help Schar. That’s why as he is banned from ever having an ownership stake. The other owners are with Dan. They brought Davis back into the fold as well. He won’t be giving out 10 year coaching contracts in the future. It’s a club of billionaire jerks who are above any rules or scrutiny. The cash cow keeps growing. Nothing is ever happening to any of them unless they screw over the other owners directly. Snyder is not only completely safe, he’s in the best position he has been in years. That’s a unfortunate outcome but the reality of the situation. 

iMessage is not and neither is what’s app and discovery is over dude. He was fined and it’s over. He won. Completely won. 

On top of protecting Dan and themselves,  the other owners love having him in the leauge. He took a dynasty and ran into the ground for almost 30 years. The WFT is a check mark in the win column every week for most teams because of the baffoon that owns the team. 

30 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

And then you have people saying, "But Dan didn't know about the e-mails!"  Dude, that's even WORSE if true.  But he did know about so many other effing things with this team.

He needs to go.  Now it's starting to impact other teams, too.  I'm hoping that sends a shockwave through the other 30 teams to see what kind of **** Snyder allows to happen.

You guys are deluding yourselves. This is Dan spiking the ball after he scored. Also sends a message to anyone else who aims at an owner. It’s not going to end well.

The owners were far more upset with Dan when he didn’t collude and went over the cap during the uncapped year. That was a cardinal sin. This stuff is nothing. You just blame an underling and move on and anyone who tried to speak out gets knifed. 

Edited by SoCalSkins

6 minutes ago, dyst said:

Poor Tanya, would the media and fans please think of her when writing these hurthful (but true) stories.

It’s obviously a misogynistic attack on the most diverse ownership and executive leadership team in the NFL. Blaming Tanya and Jason for Bruce Allen’s misbehavior is appalling! And poor Dan. He was never hands on. He was barely at the park. The poor guy put trust in bad people but he learned his lesson. He was so hands off that he didn’t even have a corporate email account!

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, thesubmittedone said:

We all know damn well Dan was standing over Bruce’s shoulder while he was responding to those emails on his Windows 95 PC and giggling like a little 11 year old. Probably told Bruce what to reply too. 🙄

Dude, come on.  CLEARLY they used Windows 98.  That was the operating system in place when Dan bought the team in May of 1999.

:P

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

On top of protecting Dan and themselves,  the other owners love having him in the leauge. He took a dynasty and ran into the ground for almost 30 years. The WFT is a check mark in the win column every week for most teams because of the baffoon that owns the team. 

Yeah but that also hurts the bottom line when you ruin one of the richest franchises. 

As far as Gruden I have no problem with him being made a example of as far as saying certain things but then that standard needs to be enforced across. You can’t have killers, violent abusers, animal abusers playing in the league while chunking a dude out for his emails. Consistency.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

You guys are deluding yourselves. This is Dan spiking the ball after he scored. Also sends a message to anyone else who aims at an owner. It’s not going to end well.

The owners were far more upset with Dan when he didn’t collude and went over the cap during the uncapped year. That was a cardinal sin. This stuff is nothing. You just blame an underling and move on and anyone who tried to speak out gets knifed. 

You're absolutely right that this is the case.

Doesn't change the point that he needs to go, though.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

4 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I dunno.  That wasn't until 2007.  That's a lot of credit to give them to upgrade from '98.  

Though, maybe they got tired of the blue screens of death.  

They wanted to commemorate the Jim Zorn era with a matching operating system.