Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

On 1/25/2021 at 1:19 AM, joeken24 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Kyle may not have even interviewed for the position. Knowing Ron, I'm sure they've talked about the moves. Kyle strikes me as a practical guy that knows his limitations. The media and a few here are pushing Kyle's promotion probably out of fear of him leaving more than anything else. its classic Ashburn syndrome. But I think this organization has turned the corner on drama and infighting. So the whole narrative about Ron and Kyle not getting along is interesting at best. If Kyle leaves, I think he'll do himself a disservice. Being a GM is much more than picking players in the draft. A lot of stuff outside of player personnel.

If I’m Kyle, I go to one of the hot franchises other teams like to pluck talent from like LAR or SF. Ultimately, for him, he’ll be best served in a role where you have a president or EVP of football ops who takes on the admin stuff and he can be the GM focused solely on personnel

Last year was a difficult year all around. Ron nor Kyle really got no reasonable time to do a lot.  I consider Ron going through his situation, all the whole covit constraints and the inability to really see players prior to the virtual draft plays a part in Kyle needed to stay IMO. This was not a one year tryout at all. We'll see.

26 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

The story on one of the 980 shows and I forget which one but from a guest Sheehan or Galdi was that Ron was overwhelmed with all the GM duties he was doing mid season and leaned heavily on Hurney (I'm supposing without paying him as a FO role). I find that interesting because of who we had in house (namely Kyle Smith). Smith stated in a press conference last year that he wanted to be a GM so I wonder if Smith tried to help with this role and wasn't doing a good job? I really want to get the inside scoop on why this was Hurney and not Smith? 

I really feel like what he said about our WRs is true with the GM role too. "Ron Rivera when asked about trying out receivers says the team is just young at that spot — to the point Rivera pointed out he has more years of playing experience (9) than the group does as a collective (8). So the team is keeping its eyes open". I'm wondering if that's how he felt about the GM position and whether him leaning on Hurney was more for advice from an older friend who he knows had been doing it (and knows he could trust) vs a shot at Kyle. 

But for this story to be true, it means that it would have had to happen after December 20th which is when he was fired. So maybe Kyle was doing it for most of the season but they were still overwhelmed and he wanted more experience in that role. 

I've had times where I switched roles and my boss had other tasks and I did what I could to do my role and some extras.  The problem in those cases is you drop the things you don't know to look for or how to correct when they first come up.

Kyle Smith had Bruce as a "leader" and Rivera didn't have time to train him in certain areas.  Maybe we'll see there is more to it, but him not being ready may have nothing to do with not being willing and able.  Bringing in 2 new guys and having a guy like Stokes they are comfortable with, it may have been Mayhew/Hurney that decided he should go as part of a negotiation.

Going to SF/LA and learning the next steps might be all he needs.  We will find out in time.  However, a guy that worked under Allen for years not being prepared to jump into that role hardly surprises me.

10 minutes ago, jsharrin55 said:

Kyle Smith had Bruce as a "leader" and Rivera didn't have time to train him in certain areas.  Maybe we'll see there is more to it, but him not being ready may have nothing to do with not being willing and able.  Bringing in 2 new guys and having a guy like Stokes they are comfortable with, it may have been Mayhew/Hurney that decided he should go as part of a negotiation.

Going to SF/LA and learning the next steps might be all he needs.  We will find out in time.  However, a guy that worked under Allen for years not being prepared to jump into that role hardly surprises me.

This is true, but the question is will he be able to work in such a role in SF/LA/elsewhere? And will working in such a similar role help with his career progression? That's the thing about the job market - the devil you know vs the devil you don't. Then there's the personlity conflicts. Sure, he may be cool with Shanahan or McVay but what about Lynch and whoever else is in personnel? That's the difficult thing about building a team. there are so many elements that need to coexist and its hard to plan them in advance. 

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is true, but the question is will he be able to work in such a role in SF/LA/elsewhere? And will working in such a similar role help with his career progression? That's the thing about the job market - the devil you know vs the devil you don't. Then there's the personlity conflicts. Sure, he may be cool with Shanahan or McVay but what about Lynch and whoever else is in personnel? That's the difficult thing about building a team. there are so many elements that need to coexist and its hard to plan them in advance. 

I think that's why we see lateral moves vs promotions.  I think people see a set of skills and maybe some missing pieces. 

To me this is like finding the 4-3 linebacker that looked bad in a 3-4 and putting them in a better position to succeed.  You don't know until you try, but give him proper training in those other areas and then see how he does.  IDK, but I am really not surprised a Bruce Allen employee is under prepared for the next step.  I think he actively did things to keep power and tried to minimize growth in a way that would challenge his role/status.  Kyle Smith may also be lacking what it takes, sure.  But we'll find out later if he is given a chance or not.

Edited by jsharrin55

1 hour ago, Califan007 said:

So is Kyle still with the team? lol...I honestly don't know.

On Ben Standigs Podcast he said yes but it's only a matter of time before Kyle and some of the scouts are let go.  He wouldn't say before or after the draft.

Edited by HigSkin

5 hours ago, jsharrin55 said:

I think that's why we see lateral moves vs promotions.  I think people see a set of skills and maybe some missing pieces. 

To me this is like finding the 4-3 linebacker that looked bad in a 3-4 and putting them in a better position to succeed.  You don't know until you try, but give him proper training in those other areas and then see how he does.  IDK, but I am really not surprised a Bruce Allen employee is under prepared for the next step.  I think he actively did things to keep power and tried to minimize growth in a way that would challenge his role/status.  Kyle Smith may also be lacking what it takes, sure.  But we'll find out later if he is given a chance or not.

I think of Gruden.  His best year was in 2015 when he appeared to grow a pair because SM was brought in and BA was practically demoted (not officially, though).  When SM was removed, Grudes seem to become worse every year and by late April 2019 seemed to have checked out after bending over for BA from 2016 thru 2018. A bend over attitude and lack of development even by very good technician would worry me if I wanted him for GM.

You know I was harsh about the way our F.O. played out and I am a HUGE Kyle Smith fan but I find it intriguing that we have Hurney old school and Mayhew somewhat old school along with RR using the knowledge they have and see if this type of F.O. type of deal works.  We shall know w/in the next two years.  

2 hours ago, RWJ said:

You know I was harsh about the way our F.O. played out and I am a HUGE Kyle Smith fan but I find it intriguing that we have Hurney old school and Mayhew somewhat old school along with RR using the knowledge they have and see if this type of F.O. type of deal works.  We shall know w/in the next two years.  

Things will most likely be easier for Rivera, that's for sure.

26 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Thats sketch.  I get wanting to allow people of all backgrounds to have opportunities but only giving compensation to teams if you lose a POC is a flawed system. 

Yes, but it’s in its infancy as a process. It’ll evolve. These are just the growing pains. But there’s no use in saying nothing should change until a perfect solution is created. Growth can be ugly at times (ie. teenagers).

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

30 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Thats sketch.  I get wanting to allow people of all backgrounds to have opportunities but only giving compensation to teams if you lose a POC is a flawed system. 

I think it’s a great idea. If you have two talented, hungry scouts and one is white the other is a POC it helps give the POC some points in their favor. Versus the “oh let’s hire Chad because I know his uncle from 20 years ago”,etc. Its helping to fix a systemic problem, it’s meant to be drastic.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1