Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

13 minutes ago, Tsailand said:

Everyone one of you who said "Snyder has learned his lesson, he no longer meddles" between 2014 and 2019 had better step up to apologize.

Speaking for myself, I pushed the narrrative about Dan and Haskins from the jump back then.  Some argued with me about it who didn't believe it.  And I recall who some of the posters were.  Now its treated as conventional wisdom.

Having said that, I've spent plenty of time on those FO threads, I don't recall much comments from anyone about Dan doesn't meddle.  There were some who said (Keim, Sheehan and others echo it through this day) that he doesn't meddle neaarly as much as he once did but that's a different point.  With all of Dan's crazy stuff, my #1 beef with him wasn't about him meddiling but about the rotten culture he fosters. 

Personally, I've been a pretty harsh critic for a long time of Dan, Bruce, Vinny. The time where I gave Dan the most slack was 2013 during the RG3 squabble.  I thought Shanny was wrong and I took RG3's side of things so by extension Dan's side of things.  And I've admitted I was wrong about that many times.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

So is what Grant posted the entire quote?  I'm curious does Jay mean that the scouting team gave Dan the picks before each round and he made them based on the suggestions or did he go rogue, or is he just talking about the Haskins debacle?

I need more clarity.

Edited by JSSkinz
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, JSSkinz said:

So is what Grant posted the entire quote?  I'm curious does Jay mean that the scouting team gave Dan the picks before each round and he made them based on the suggestions or did he go rogue, or is just just talking about the Haskins debacle?

I need more clarity.

I'm extremely **** faced on a Saturday night.....I mean watching drunk history drunk lol...black hawk down 

On 1/29/2021 at 3:41 PM, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Kyle was so great and so coveted that he took a lateral move with the Falcons.

I liked the dude. Would buy him a sundae at Coldstone. But bemoaning his departure is a bit silly.

For the record, I’m a nice dude. I like cold stone.  You’re welcome to buy me a strawberry blonde anytime.  Hell, I like the flavor so much I went and married one...

On 1/29/2021 at 5:31 PM, dyst said:

Don’t care if Smith wasn’t coveted for other GM jobs nor that he took an essence a lateral move. I liked him, I liked how be spoke and whatever the case may be, our talent base improved with add responsibility under his watch. That’s all I can go by.

He was ok.  Some of the durst round picks were no brainers.  Almost all the seconds were a debacle.  He did well late in the drafts.  But they weren’t other worldly.  They were good.  Some hits, some misses.  Shrug. 

On 1/29/2021 at 9:03 PM, Warhead36 said:

The new Eagles coach is giving me some serious Jim Zorn flashbacks.

I’m sorry.  I have the name of a therapist if you need it....

5 hours ago, Califan007 said:

The problem with that, though, is this:

“Every year that I was there, we had a pretty good draft class, with a couple exceptions,”

So either Snyder's involvement in the draft helped lead to pretty good draft classes most years, or Snyder stayed on his yacht most years and didn't get involved except for Haskins.

Also, I refuse to believe Dan cares at all except for the first round pick and QB.

When Jay was coach, the first 2 picks were Doctson and Scherff.  I doubt Dan was involved with either.   (One hit, one busted.) There was a great quote about that also, something about how the first two picks were a guy who was hurt and a guard.  (Very dismissive, but really funny.)

Then it went Allen and Payne.  Both good picks, also I’m guessing not Dan involved.

The 2019 draft was the debacle when Dan stepped in to pick Haskins.  Though they did trade back up to grab sweat. That’s the Dan-Yacht line.  

I’m sure Jay was pissed about Haskins.  But by the time the 2019 draft rolled around, he’d already been proven a bottom third at best HC in the league.  

Comes off as sour grapes to be honest 

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Jay on the other hand produced a classic one liner that almost for certain will be added to the pile of Dan's infamy.  Great sound bite.  He just leveled him with that one liner.  I'd bet that line will be remembered over time just as much as the story about Dan and the vanilla ice cream.

It is a great one liner.  Dan’s an easy mark and Jays pissed and unemployed I believe. The Jags only have one coach listed on their website.

Jay was always good for a quote (and a running play for 0 yards on first down.)

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

He was ok.  Some of the durst round picks were no brainers. 

When Jay was coach, the first 2 picks were Doctson and Scherff. 

1) The Fred Durst round?...Is that the round after the UFAs have all been picked or something?

2) His first two 1st round picks, yep...his first 2 picks, though, were actually Trent Murphy and Morgan Moses lol...

Edited by Califan007
There was an extra "were" in the post...I extracted that mf'er like a surgeon.
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Califan007 said:

1) The Fred Durst round?...Is that the round after the UFAs have all been picked or something?

2) His first two 1st round picks, yep...his first 2 picks, though, were actually Trent Murphy and Morgan Moses lol...

1. Damn autocorrect.

2.  I was really going off of that great Jay quote on first round picks.  .  Galdi used to use the sound all the time when he would say “Guaaaaard”. It was something like “We’ve had 2 first round picks since e I’ve been here, one hasn’t played and the other is a guaaaard.”

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. Damn autocorrect.

2.  I was really going off of that great Jay quote on first round picks.  .  Galdi used to use the sound all the time when he would say “Guaaaaard”. It was something like “We’ve had 2 first round picks since e I’ve been here, one hasn’t played and the other is a guaaaard.”

Yeah, that was some high quality shade from Jay right there lol...

• Haha 1
Just now, profusion said:

Sounds like a professional answer to me. Quick responsive answer and change the subject. This guy knows his stuff.

Jason is the best part of the FO.

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. Damn autocorrect.

Ballsy from Jay still IMO.  Some say the reason why its so rare to get coaches/personnel guys to criticize ownership while they are still employed or seeking employment is other owners might look at it poorly because they think they could be next so why hire someone who isn't afraid to take a public shot at ownership.   Heck even Scot recently praised Bruce of all people.  These guys I think are afraid to rip each other publicly. 

I know you don't care for Jay.  But I give him major props for that one.  I got no doubt it will go down as a classic over time as to the narrative around Dan. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I know you don't care for Jay.  But I give him major props for that one.  I got no doubt it will go down as a classic over time as to the narrative around Dan. 

1. I’m not sure it was smart regardless if he wants another job.  Owners don’t like to hear unemployed coaches criticize otter owners even if it is Dan. Unless he’s already resigned to not getting another job. 

2. it was a good sound bite. He’s got a sharp tongue when he wants to. 

3. if the source wasn’t an actively bad coach, it would resonate more. I wonder if he even gets an OC job again.  His Jags stint wasn’t exactly stellar, though I concede he was working with the JV team.

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1. I’m not sure it was smart regardless if he wants another job.  Owners don’t like to hear unemployed coaches criticize otter owners even if it is Dan. Unless he’s already resigned to not getting another job. 

2. it was a good sound bite. He’s got a sharp tongue when he wants to. 

3. if the source wasn’t an actively bad coach, it would resonate more. I wonder if he even gets an OC job again.  His Jags stint wasn’t exactly stellar, though I concede he was working with the JV team.

Agree it might not have been smart for his own career to do it, that's why I think its cool that he did it.   I doubt Jay thinks he won't get a job again so he had nothing to lose. 

Jay is a likeable guy by most accounts and likely has friends around the league.  Dan on the other hand?  I am sure it will resonate plenty in part because it fits Dan's reputation. 

Keim's new podcast.

He gave two theories on Kyle Smith.

A.  Bruce Allen was close and remains close with the minority owners who are in this lawsuit fight with Dan.  And Dan isn't loving Bruce these days and wants to get rid of the Bruce ties and Kyle is the main one left. 

B.  Just simply that Rivera wanting to move on and create his own stamp on things and wasn't ready to promote Kyle

Keim's position is Rivera and Kyle actually got along well

He also believes that they want to groom Stokes perhaps as the future guy.  Their college player evaulation guy, Gribble, Kyle's top assistant looks to remain. 

51 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's new podcast.

A.  Bruce Allen was close and remains close with the minority owners who are in this lawsuit fight with Dan.  And Dan isn't loving Bruce these days and wants to get rid of the Bruce ties and Kyle is the main one left. 

B.  Just simply that Rivera wanting to move on and create his own stamp on things and wasn't ready to promote Kyle

He also believes that they want to groom Stokes perhaps as the future guy.  Their college player evaulation guy, Gribble, Kyle's top assistant looks to remain. 

The fact the minority owners are close to Bruce is remarkable. 

If you believe there was a smear job on Dan from them then wonder if somehow Bruce is involved? That would be juicy.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Keim's new podcast.

Stokes was who I thought would be groomed when he was interviewed for the GM position.  Makes sense.  Good read ups on Stokes and losing Kyle and having Stokes as 2nd choice makes me very happy, if this come to pass. 

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Stokes was who I thought would be groomed when he was interviewed for the GM position.  Makes sense.  Good read ups on Stokes and losing Kyle and having Stokes as 2nd choice makes me very happy, if this come to pass. 

Now that you can get third round picks if a minority on your team is hired as coach it gm; I say we develop that pipeline.

I want Stokes developed; so some team will hire him as gm.

On 1/30/2021 at 7:06 PM, Tsailand said:

Everyone one of you who said "Snyder has learned his lesson, he no longer meddles" between 2014 and 2019 had better step up to apologize.

Which pick(s) did he meddle in besides Haskins?

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Judging by Keim's tweet, Guice.

Over the years its come out:  Mcnabb, M. Kelly, P. Ramsey -- pushed RG3 but supposedly Shanny was ok with it.  

Kelly/? First I've heard of that. Wow lol...

Ramsey was an out-in-the-open "meddle" at the time...He an Vinny running the show at least in terms of the draft--I think Spurrier had a large hand in free agency pickups--had the "cheap and available" quote concerning picking up ex-Gators he wanted-- as well as getting rid of Stephen Davis because he didn't fit his scheme, and replacing him with Trung Canidate. Spurrier wanted Wueruerffelll (sp? lol) so I remember not giving a **** that Snyderrato over-rid him.

Edited by Califan007
"her" instead of "heard"...yeah I ****ed up. Sue me.