Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

7 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Have you seen anything in the media other than after we announced our hires. I mean, we would see something wouldn’t we?

We hired Scot M as our GM without anyone in the media announcing anything until like a day before we were about to hire him (local media, anyway...may have been someone in Oakland news media who mentioned our interest in passing). So it does happen, yeah.

Edited by Califan007

8 minutes ago, dyst said:

If Kyle is gone, when is he gone? What about the draft, who will be running the show? You’d assume it should be someone who has a pulse on the college kids + how they fit with this current team.

Hurney is Exec just above Smith at this time.  Stokes is my guess who takes Smith's place when he officially is gone and that's probably after the draft, maybe before.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Califan007 said:

We hired Scot M as our GM without anyone in the media announcing anything until like a day before we were about to hire him (local media, anyway...may have been someone in Oakland news media who mentioned our interest in passing). So it does happen, yeah.

True. I’m not sure Kyle’s reputation warrants that kind of secrecy but you may be right, I guess.

On 1/24/2021 at 7:38 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

True. I’m not sure Kyle’s reputation warrants that kind of secrecy but you may be right, I guess.

I didn't look at it as Kyle's rep warranting secrecy as much as it being his rep didn't generate much interest from the media lol...having Rivera bring in two seasoned FO guys who would be over Kyle could have caused reporters to start wondering about what's in his future.

Edited by Califan007
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, drowland said:

Smith didn't need to leak that story to further his career.  The scouting community is a small one and people in front offices around the league know what happened with the Haskins pick without having to read about it in the media.  If anything it wasn't Ron bending for Dan, it was Ron saying enough of the leak game.  That might be what Keim and Cooley are talking about with regards to Kyle's connection to Bruce.  He's playing Bruce's game with the leaks.

What has been in my mind for 2 years is who was leaking the stuff about nobody wanting Haskins. I assumed Gruden and it still could be but it's just not what a functional org does. We didn't hear about who in the front office wanted Allen vs Foster or Guice controversies. It was all positive stuff. But Haskins was hated to badly that the front office or coaches had to let media know they didn't want him. 

Maybe Ron and Kyle just didn’t mesh. Ron wants people he feels he can trust and that have the experience/ability to do the GM job. Kyle obviously didn’t fill those categories in Ron’s mind. 

Ron also has talked endlessly about culture. You cannot condemn the son for the father’s sins...but...Kyle’s mentor (and father) was not known for having a very positive culture while he was the Chargers GM. In fact, he did a lot of things that would remind people of our recently departed Bruce (not dead just not employed). 

Maybe Kyle and Ron just look at how to run a team differently and maybe don’t even get along that well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

Maybe Ron and Kyle just didn’t mesh. Ron wants people he feels he can trust and that have the experience/ability to do the GM job. Kyle obviously didn’t fill those categories in Ron’s mind. 

Ron also has talked endlessly about culture. You cannot condemn the son for the father’s sins...but...Kyle’s mentor (and father) was not known for having a very positive culture while he was the Chargers GM. In fact, he did a lot of things that would remind people of our recently departed Bruce (not dead just not employed). 

Maybe Kyle and Ron just look at how to run a team differently and maybe don’t even get along that well. 

Right. Execs around the league took great pleasure in referring to his dad as “The Lord of No Rings” because he was a dick, so it can’t be discounted completely that he just doesn’t mesh with Rivera through no fault of either of them. Who knows. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Maybe he doesn’t want the GM job, hard to fathom but it happens. I’ve turned down my directors job numerous times. Get paid practically the same without all the heat and I make all the decisions anyway  lol. Guess we’ll know for sure soon enough.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Kyle may not have even interviewed for the position. Knowing Ron, I'm sure they've talked about the moves. Kyle strikes me as a practical guy that knows his limitations. The media and a few here are pushing Kyle's promotion probably out of fear of him leaving more than anything else. its classic Ashburn syndrome. But I think this organization has turned the corner on drama and infighting. So the whole narrative about Ron and Kyle not getting along is interesting at best. If Kyle leaves, I think he'll do himself a disservice. Being a GM is much more than picking players in the draft. A lot of stuff outside of player personnel.

11 hours ago, GhostofAlvinWalton said:

If the reports are true that Kyle Smith was fired up and had angry outburst after Haskins was drafted I’m pretty sure Snyder made sure Rivera brings in a couple yes men who will be on board with giving away draft picks for a QB of his choosing.  It’s that simple.

7 minutes ago, -JB- said:

If the reports are true that Kyle Smith was fired up and had angry outburst after Haskins was drafted I’m pretty sure Snyder made sure Rivera brings in a couple yes men who will be on board with giving away draft picks for a QB of his choosing.  It’s that simple.

But wasn't Smith vindicated when Haskins stunk on ice? Feels a bit like you're reaching to pull Snyder into this - are you sure you aren't Chris Russell? :bye:

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Rex Tomb said:

But wasn't Smith vindicated when Haskins stunk on ice? Feels a bit like you're reaching to pull Snyder into this - are you sure you aren't Chris Russell? :bye:

What I’m saying is that it doesn’t matter how many new guys Snyder allows in the building as front office personnel.  He’s still going to be calling the big shots.  Like what QB he wants and he doesn’t give a **** how many draft picks it takes to get him.  

Funny how much effort I see invested in deeeeep theories about what these tea leaves mean.......

I for one can't see attributing all these motives to Rivera, if anything he seems like a no BS kinda guy that not only wouldn't play but would work to stifle that ****.

Some things just don't work, or they work but might be better, or you find you have other work to do and need different tools. Ron & Co had a LOT to deal with beyond just coaching a football team this year, and overall did a great job dealing with it. They stressed the system and now have better ideas on what needs to be upgraded.

Kyle has rocked the draft, hands down, done great work and deserves that credit. But that is just one aspect of the massive job of turning the chicken**** of this franchise into chicken salad.

Benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise- this is where I'm at with Rivera et. al.

6 hours ago, -JB- said:

Seriously. Concern vs paranoid. Again fine line.

7 hours ago, -JB- said:

This literally makes no sense.  Does Hurney really seem like a Snyder move?  The move to bring him in is proof positive that Ron is running the show here.  One man in the entire league would hire Hurney at this stage and that's Ron Rivera.  

• Like 5

3 hours ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This literally makes no sense.  Does Hurney really seem like a Snyder move?  The move to bring him in is proof positive that Ron is running the show here.  One man in the entire league would hire Hurney at this stage and that's Ron Rivera.  

Yes it does absolutely seem like a Snyder move.  An old washed up has been yes man as a warm body to put next to Ron Rivera to make it seem as if real football moves are being made.  You really think Marty Hurney has any say about anything?  You said it best only one man in the entire league would hire Hurney at this stage & it’s Dan Snyder.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, -JB- said:

You said it best only one man in the entire league would hire Hurney at this stage & it’s Dan Snyder.

Well, it’s not like he would hire Hurney if Ron did not want Hurney.  He isn’t hiring Hurney in spite of Ron.  I think the sum of the three parts...Rivera, Mayhew, and Hurney are what they believe will get the organization on the right track.  Rivera has the final say, but they work together to find the best solutions.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

Yes it does absolutely seem like a Snyder move.  An old washed up has been yes man as a warm body to put next to Ron Rivera to make it seem as if real football moves are being made.  You really think Marty Hurney has any say about anything?  You said it best only one man in the entire league would hire Hurney at this stage & it’s Dan Snyder.

Both spoken like truly battered fans. Smh

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Painkiller said:

Well, it’s not like he would hire Hurney if Ron did not want Hurney.  He isn’t hiring Hurney in spite of Ron.  I think the sum of the three parts...Rivera, Mayhew, and Hurney are what they believe will get the organization on the right track.  Rivera has the final say, but they work together to find the best solutions.

The story on one of the 980 shows and I forget which one but from a guest Sheehan or Galdi was that Ron was overwhelmed with all the GM duties he was doing mid season and leaned heavily on Hurney (I'm supposing without paying him as a FO role). I find that interesting because of who we had in house (namely Kyle Smith). Smith stated in a press conference last year that he wanted to be a GM so I wonder if Smith tried to help with this role and wasn't doing a good job? I really want to get the inside scoop on why this was Hurney and not Smith? 

I really feel like what he said about our WRs is true with the GM role too. "Ron Rivera when asked about trying out receivers says the team is just young at that spot — to the point Rivera pointed out he has more years of playing experience (9) than the group does as a collective (8). So the team is keeping its eyes open". I'm wondering if that's how he felt about the GM position and whether him leaning on Hurney was more for advice from an older friend who he knows had been doing it (and knows he could trust) vs a shot at Kyle. 

But for this story to be true, it means that it would have had to happen after December 20th which is when he was fired. So maybe Kyle was doing it for most of the season but they were still overwhelmed and he wanted more experience in that role.