Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/best-move-by-each-nfc-team-this-offseason-packers-score-big-with-aaron-rodgers-deal-giants-with-steal-at-te/

Washington Commanders 

Hired Eric Bieniemy as offensive coordinator

Getting Bieniemy to leave Kansas City and become a play caller was the best move the Commanders could have made this offseason. Bieniemy takes over a Commanders offense that has started 12 different quarterbacks since 2018 -- the most in the NFL. Washington averaged 18.8 points per game last season under Scott Turner (24th in NFL) and 330.3 yards per game (20th in NFL). 

Bieniemy played a crucial role in the development of Patrick Mahomes and the evolution of the Kansas City Chiefs offense over the past five years. The Chiefs have scored the most points per game in the NFL (30.1) since Bieniemy became the offensive coordinator in 2018, along with the most yards per game (406.2). Mahomes also has the most passing yards, passing touchdowns, and the highest passer rating since the start of the 2018 season -- all with Bieniemy as the offensive coordinator.

If Sam Howell becomes as good as Washington has proclaimed he is, Bieniemy is arguably the best hire of any team this offseason. He gets the opportunity to command this offense and get the Commanders into contending status in the NFC. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Yeah, it used to be that people would compare the team to the Gibbs glory years and be frustrated that we were basically a "middle of the pack" team.

Oh nooooo. Yes, the team was bad in the six-year stretch right after Gibbs 1 ended, but under Snyder's ownership, the Skins record-wise have been like the sixth-worst team in the league overall. Over 24 seasons. That's pretty damning.

Please see my sig

Edited by Rocky21
  • Like 1

Listened to Standig and Keim's new podcasts where they both referenced Hard Knocks.

Keim

A.  The team hasn't been contacted by HBO yet as to appearing on the show

B.  He knows the business side of the team wants it, the coaches do not.

C.  Figures the wait for new ownership if that's not settled might be a detrement for them getting it.

Standig

A. doubled down on the business side working for the team wants it.  Coaches do not.

B.  He thinks its absolutely a deal breaker if ownership isn't resolved soon on that front 

I'll double down as to Ron that for a dude who is the most outspoken and comes off the most self aware among our coaches about the demise of the fan base and outwardly speaks about wanting it to change -- but oddly he also seems the most allergic to throwing any crumbs of excitement to put fans in the seats.  If he won, it wouldn't matter, but it doesn't feel like he's cornered winning either.  

So when i heard that the team wanted to be on Hard Knocks I was a bit surprised and i thought kudos for some rare self awareness for Ron as to actually doing something as to throwing some fan excitment type crumbs for a change.  But as I learned today, Ron isn't on board.  So that's on brand for him.  I'll give that most coaches wouldn't want it. 

But if Ron doesn't want to add any pizzazz to an off season as to selling tickets -- that's cool in a vaccum.  But also then stop talking about how it matters to him.  I admire the no frills approach if it actually led to winning.  And maybe this time it finally does.   But as I mentioned before, Ron oddly set up this season in a way that if it goes south as some expect -- eventually the early fan excitement about Dan's departure will likely fade.  And in turn the biggest move you can make to generate a little excitement is actually canning Ron.  And Ron set up the board game like that.  They were running with this exact narrative yesterday on a 106.7 show.  

Rivera not wanting this makes sense because I could have sworn in the past he had some off hand comment years ago of not wanting it.  It still surprises me to some extent considering he came off well in the All or Nothing Amazon show.  But I get the distraction, etc.   And Jason Wright clearly wants it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

From the business side, Hard Knocks feels like a slam dunk easy choice. Free pub, money, support... and your gonna paint yourself in a good light.

I don't understand why a still unresolved owner situation would be a "deal breaker" for being selected tho. Does an owner have a lot of input to this thing?

The only reason I can come up with off the cuff is maybe if you have an owner on board then the "guy at the top" is someone who wants HBO there and is more willing to work with them. If there is no owner and Ron is in control, then the guy at the top is someone who does not want you there, which could impact the operation negatively.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

So when i heard that the team wanted to be on Hard Knocks I was a bit surprised and i thought kudos for some rare self awareness for Ron as to actually doing something as to throwing some fan excitment type crumbs for a change.  But as I learned today, Ron isn't on board.  So that's on brand for him.  I'll give that most coaches wouldn't want it. 

"The team" in this case that wants to be on Hard Knocks consists of "Jason Wright" and that's about it. No surprise why Rivera didn't mention Wright when he thanked just about every employee under the sun at that press conference recently. PR flacks shouldn't be making decisions that go against the coach's wishes.

5 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

"The team" in this case that wants to be on Hard Knocks consists of "Jason Wright" and that's about it. No surprise why Rivera didn't mention Wright when he thanked just about every employee under the sun at that press conference recently. PR flacks shouldn't be making decisions that go against the coach's wishes.

I think it depends on perspective.  I know I, @Conn and some others here hate that this franchise not just has been a loser but also are a loser in terms of relevance with fans -- sinking local ratings, dead last in ticket sales, a punchline nationally for irrelevance -- we can't even get a single Sunday Night or Monday Night football game.

And I know some don't care so much about that.  And its cool either way.  To each their own.  No rights or wrongs.  Just opinion.  Not saying you are on the opposite side of any of this but I am explaining why I wouldn't care about Rivera's take on it if I were Harris.

For me, I've talked about how hard its been to keep my kids Commanders fans when there is so little excitement or pizzaz around the team year after year.  And Ron has not done a whit IMO to change that.  i mentioned my brother in law just caved and now roots for the Dolphins and has his kid rooting for the Dolphins -- to him its a more fun team to root for with their new coach and aggressive off seasons.  JP Finlay talked about how in his travels in the DMV most kids don't wear Commanders jerseys but wear jerseys from other teams.

I've mentioned going to Disney for the last 20 plus years on a regular basis -- its amazing in a sad way to see how things have changed.  I used to count on running into people giving me the thumbs up when am wearing Washington jerseys -- but in recent years its been borderline nothing and I am usually the only one at the parks that I noticed wearing a Washington jersey.  And for anyone who has gone to Disney, they'd know a ton of people wear sports jerseys there.  It's a sea of them.  But finding another Washington jersey is like a needle in a haystack and it used to not be that way.

This franchise is a punchline for bleeding fans from SI and irrelevance as mentioned multiple times by ESPN and GMF.  It's a dead brand that needs major CPR.

Rivera could literally afford blowing this off as an issue.   He gets his 5 million a year whether the stands are full or not or whether people watch the games or not or kids think this team is cool or not. It doesn't matter to him.  I am not saying it should.  But he's not coaching the typical team.  Most teams don't have issues like we do.  The Jets for example have been losing but they are 2nd in the NFL in attendance and I bet are selling now a zillion Rodgers jerseys.

If I am Josh Harris it would matter to me.   Jason Wright's job is to care about this stuff.  It's come out in the course about the sale how this team has continued to sink in all types of sales not just tickets over the years.  They are around the bottom in every form of revenue.  For new ownership I suspect they need to make moves to stop the bleeding.  One move alone won't change it but I think they got to do things to bring some desperate PR for this franchise.  If Ron was poised for a playoff season -- I'd say who cares?  But most aren't expecting a winning season. 

And don't get me wrong Hard Knocks isn't alone going to change it.  But it would get some eyeballs on this team and a little juice for a team that really has no juice headed to this season.  

If I were Josh Harris I wouldn't care one whit if Ron likes the idea or not.  Ron IMO hasn't won and also he has done anything to add any pizzazz to these off seasons to pull in fans.  In a season where they have some built in momentum to get fans based on Dan leaving alone - Ron IMO did nothing to help sustain that momentum.   He'd have no credibility with me at all on the subject.    Zero. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

If we get on Hard Knocks, probably the lowest rated hard knocks ever. 

There’s really nothing that would excite an audience about us. No national stars. 

We might get it by default since no else wants it.

Since the approval is coming late, I don’t expect any changes. So, this Harris will see what we have and make improvements in 24. I expect the game day experiences to be much different next year and some improvements made to junkex 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

From the business side, Hard Knocks feels like a slam dunk easy choice. Free pub, money, support... and your gonna paint yourself in a good light.

I don't understand why a still unresolved owner situation would be a "deal breaker" for being selected tho. Does an owner have a lot of input to this thing?

The only reason I can come up with off the cuff is maybe if you have an owner on board then the "guy at the top" is someone who wants HBO there and is more willing to work with them. If there is no owner and Ron is in control, then the guy at the top is someone who does not want you there, which could impact the operation negatively.

Don't know about the ownership variable.  Standig though admitted he doesn't want Hard Knocks because it would put more work on his plate so maybe he's more negative on the idea for that reason.  Keim thought the ownership situation if its not finished might hurt the quest but Standig thought it would eliminate them.

But yeah for those concerned -- Hard Knocks isn't like an uncontrolled reality TV show which exposes positive-negative stories and showcases everything warts including.  The team has editing power over the show. 

It's a weekly promo show.  Look at all the love the Lions got last year.  Sold out their opener for a change among other things.  

• Like 1

https://www.the33rdteam.com/category/analysis/7-coordinators-who-will-be-2024-nfl-head-coach-candidates/

As a public service, The 33rd Team has compiled its own short list of coordinators who figure to be frontrunners for head-coaching jobs in 2024:

Eric Bieniemy, Commanders OC

Everyone knows the Bieniemy story. Ten years as an assistant with the Chiefs and Andy Reid. The last five as Reid’s offensive lieutenant. Three Super Bowl appearances and two Super Bowl titles in those five years.

Since Bieniemy was promoted to offensive coordinator in 2018, the Chiefs haven’t finished lower than sixth in the league in scoring. Yet, a head-coaching opportunity has eluded him.

Bieniemy, 53, is the most interviewed coach in NFL history. He’s been interviewed 16 times by 15 teams for head-coaching jobs. And been hired for none of them. A lot of closes. Zero cigars. 

Has it been because he is overshadowed by Reid and quarterback Patrick Mahomes and doesn’t get enough credit for the Chiefs’ offensive success? Has it been because of some off-the-field incidents he had years ago as a college player in the ‘90s and a college assistant in the early 2000s? Or has it been because of the color of his skin? There currently are only three Black head coaches in the entire NFL. Bieniemy and Brian Johnson are just two of three Black offensive coordinators.

If it’s working for Reid that has been hurting his head-coaching chances, Bieniemy took a bold step in February, leaving the Super Bowl success of Kansas City to become the offensive coordinator of the Washington Commanders, a team that hasn’t had a winning season since 2016 and has been to the playoffs just six times in the past 32 years.

The Commanders finished 24th in scoring last season. The top two quarterbacks on their depth chart are 2022 fifth-round pick Sam Howell, who has one career start, and Jacoby Brissett. If Bieniemy can somehow manage to make Washington’s offense respectable, his head-coaching stock should rise significantly. He’ll get the credit. 

“He’s going to have a chance to put his own stamp on that offense,’’ Baldinger said. “If he can turn them into a top-10 offense with Sam Howell or Jacoby Brissett or somebody else, it’s going to be hard to ignore him.’’

“I love people that bet on themselves and take the more challenging path,’’ Tannenbaum said. “In Kansas City, he had to fight the stigma of how much of it was coach Reid and how much of it was him. I can’t say enough about how much his decision to leave Kansas City speaks to his confidence and belief in himself. If Washington makes any kind of improvement, I think he’ll be in demand.’’  

About Eric Bieniemy

• Years as OC: 5
  • Record as OC: 64-18
  • Chiefs’ average offensive ranking under Bieniemy: 2nd
  • Chiefs’ 2022 offensive ranking: 1st
  • Like 1

According to a USA Today report, no candidate has been interviewed more times without getting a head coaching job than Bieniemy. Through four previous league hiring cycles, Bieniemy has been interviewed 15 times by 14 teams — twice by the Jets — without success.18 janv. 2023
  • Sad 1

Reading that whole article, Ben Johnson really is intriguing. 

Talk about a reputation that's on a rocketship to the moon.

Not many guys come in as an early 30's quality control coach and 4 years later are interviewing for head coaching positions. 

Those are the guys who end up being the next young phenom head coaches.

If we have a bad season and Rivera is fired that's who I want harris to bring in if we can get him.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Reading that whole article, Ben Johnson really is intriguing. 

Talk about a reputation that's on a rocketship to the moon.

Not many guys come in as an early 30's quality control coach and 4 years later are interviewing for head coaching positions. 

Those are the guys who end up being the next young phenom head coaches.

If we have a bad season and Rivera is fired that's who I want harris to bring in if we can get him.

Yeah am likewise very impressed by everything I've read about him.

Next year would be better for hard knocks. I’d really rather see all things Snyder and the accompanying disfunction banished before we are put in the spotlight. We need another year to tidy up/clean house. And after all he’s been through, Ron deserves to coach without having more distractions put on his plate. I agree we need to rebuild the popularity of the franchise, but that’s going to take awhile and require years of winning. One season on a TV show is not enough to change the perception much if at all, and won’t help one bit on the field. What we need now is less off the field fluff and more focus on winning games.

• Like 6

I think we should feel really lucky that Mat Ishbia was not the guy to buy this team. His first several months with the Suns feels like Dan Snyder circa 1999/2000 where the "future is now" and there is no regard for roster construction. The guy is also surrounding himself with people like Isiah Thomas, one of the worst GMs in NBA history, as advisors.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I want the Joihnsons. Ben, Brian, I don't care, just give me Johnson. I wanted Johnson last year and I'll want Johnson next year. I don't care which one, either.

Seriously though, Brian Johnson (was QB coach for the Birds, now OC) and Howies #2 as GM would be a huge score.

New Commanders owners buy minority stake in NASCAR’s Joe Gibbs Racing – NBC New York

The deal announced Tuesday said Joe Gibbs Racing has “received a significant investment” from Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment for the minority stake in the team. The private equity platform Arctos Partners will also be making a minority investment in JGR.

Gibbs, meanwhile, will become a limited partner in Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment, pending approval by the NBA and NHL. HBSE owns the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers and the NHL’s New Jersey Devils. Josh Harris, the founder, is head of the ownership group for the Commanders.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

New Commanders owners buy minority stake in NASCAR’s Joe Gibbs Racing – NBC New York

The deal announced Tuesday said Joe Gibbs Racing has “received a significant investment” from Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment for the minority stake in the team. The private equity platform Arctos Partners will also be making a minority investment in JGR.

Gibbs, meanwhile, will become a limited partner in Harris Blitzer Sports & Entertainment, pending approval by the NBA and NHL. HBSE owns the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers and the NHL’s New Jersey Devils. Josh Harris, the founder, is head of the ownership group for the Commanders.

Joe Gibbs always owned Philadelphia. Now it's just putting it in writing.

• Haha 7

Listening to Keim this morning the show was answering questions. One question that he liked a lot and I found interesting was if EB takes a HC job next year, is there anyone on the staff that could be looked at to move into his slot. He said yes there is definitely one and only one possibility...Tavita Pritchard. He stated they really like him a lot but he is still very inexperienced on the pro level.

Certainly this is a long shot but interesting as we all figure there will probably either be a complete gut of the staff or EB could be made HC here.

This also had me wondering how the ownership and potential FO and coaching changes could alter the media we currently view as reliable. What I mean is, will the same media have the access they currently have or could it change...just thinking out loud. I do respect Keim a lot so hope he is stronger than ever after the changes are implemented.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, DWinzit said:

Listening to Keim this morning the show was answering questions. One question that he liked a lot and I found interesting was if EB takes a HC job next year, is there anyone on the staff that could be looked at to move into his slot. He said yes there is definitely one and only one possibility...Tavita Pritchard. He stated they really like him a lot but he is still very inexperienced on the pro level.

Certainly this is a long shot but interesting as we all figure there will probably either be a complete gut of the staff or EB could be made HC here.

This also had me wondering how the ownership and potential FO and coaching changes could alter the media we currently view as reliable. What I mean is, will the same media have the access they currently have or could it change...just thinking out loud. I do respect Keim a lot so hope he is stronger than ever after the changes are implemented.

I’d expect changes. Didn’t things change with media with Dan took over? Probably same here. 

• Like 2