Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I think many of us here assumed Wright would be retained at least at first. He’s been every prospective owner’s point of contact and has projected extreme confidence that he’ll have a chance to work for them. It would have been a huge surprise if he was fired day 1 or anywhere close to that, it’s not normal for a fanbase to become so fixated on whether their non-football VP on the business side is a dummy or not. But the hardcore among us are so dialed into the toxic idiocy in the latter Snyder years that we’re tuned into every tiny little detail that most fanbases don’t even have to confront. It’s not surprising that Harris and his people aren’t making this decision as emotionally or quickly as fans would, they’ll at least learn the ins and outs of the current terrible operation from Wright before they change everything. He won’t earn his keep long term if people here are right about him, have no fear. 

• Like 5

15 hours ago, NewCliche21 said:

Starting a while back when you were on board the Hard Knocks train from the beginning, I thought you were a little off because it would impact our record.

The last two questions, though, completely nullify that for me. You're dead on, it would impact what record? We're not winning it all this year whether it were massive changes in ownership or not, so this would be a great time to have it.  Potential gains, not much risk of loss.

Agree. I’d add, I posted an article awhile ago that showed teams record post and pre Hard Knocks and on the aggregate it showed no effect for better or worse.

I get from a personal level the coaches wouldn’t love having to deal with cameras. But like I’ve said, it’s tough for me to give Ron any credibility on issues like this considering how little he walks his talk about desiring to bring back the fans.

Not that Hard Knocks alone of course will bring some needed buzz for this team but considering he does nothing else for that cause, this would be a welcomed change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Conn said:

I think many of us here assumed Wright would be retained at least at first. He’s been every prospective owner’s point of contact and has projected extreme confidence that he’ll have a chance to work for them. It would have been a huge surprise if he was fired day 1 or anywhere close to that, it’s not normal for a fanbase to become so fixated on whether their non-football VP on the business side is a dummy or not. But the hardcore among us are so dialed into the toxic idiocy in the latter Snyder years that we’re tuned into every tiny little detail that most fanbases don’t even have to confront. It’s not surprising that Harris and his people aren’t making this decision as emotionally or quickly as fans would, they’ll at least learn the ins and outs of the current terrible operation from Wright before they change everything. He won’t earn his keep long term if people here are right about him, have no fear. 

Agree. I’d add Keim has said multiple times including in a recent podcast that for now Harris isn’t interested in some of the issues that some here are into but is obsessed with the stadium.

Ive said here before that for my taste Wright has come off miles sharper on the stadium  topic versus Bruce Allen and I elaborated on the point several times. 

And while some of our fans don’t like Wright, from what I hear several key local politicians do like him and that is important to the stadium quest.

Speaking for myself I care much more about the stadium than whether London Fletcher’s name was spelled right or color schemes, etc.  I typically say but to each their own on that but it feels like if Keim is correct Harris’ top angle from a business stand point is indeed the stadium.

To your point most teams fan bases likely have no clue to who runs the business operation.   It’s typically a sidebar at best for most teams. I don’t care one way or another as to Wright. But I do believe that it makes a ton of sense to keep Wright for now as to the stadium quest considering why start that whole process from scratch? Time isn’t their friend on the subject. Timing is in borderline code red status.

Id bet like Rivera though Wright is gone after the season.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree. I’d add Keim has said multiple times including in a recent podcast that for now Harris isn’t interested in some of the issues that some here are into but is obsessed with the stadium.

Ive said here before that for my taste Wright has come off miles sharper on the stadium  topic versus Bruce Allen and I elaborated on the point several times. 

And while some of our fans don’t like Wright, from what I hear several key local politicians do like him and that is important to the stadium quest.

Speaking for myself I care much more about the stadium than whether London Fletcher’s name was spelled right or color schemes, etc.  I typically say but to each their own on that but it feels like if Keim is correct Harris’ top angle from a business stand point is indeed the stadium.

To your point most teams fan bases likely have no clue to who runs the business operation.   It’s typically a sidebar at best for most teams. I don’t care one way or another as to Wright. But I do believe that it makes a ton of sense to keep Wright for now as to the stadium quest considering why start that whole process from scratch? Time isn’t their friend on the subject. Timing is in borderline code red status.

Id bet like Rivera though Wright is gone after the season.

For the purpose of getting a Stadium deal, I'd agree Wright stays on. He may last more than a year due to all his background, contacts and work he has in the process. 

My hopes are the Harris understands the resentment many fans feel towards Wright and keeps him out of the limelight while still representing the team. To me like many others, Wrights presents will be viewed as an extension of the Dan era, a reminder of the past and leaves a bad taste when seen or heard from.

• Thumb up 1

This was always going to be the case with transfer of ownership happening in July.  You retain the folks in place for the first year then clean house in a monumental and epic way. 

I know some of you don't want to hear this, but this was always going to happen.

• Like 3

Although I would have loved to watch it, I’m really glad Hard Knocks is not coming to DC. These players and coaches deserve some freedom from the constant off the field distractions that they have experienced constantly for years. The team getting some “buzz” is not going to do a single thing to help them win. You’re not going to get much buzz from it anyway, unless they win. The Lions didn’t get the love from being on the TV show, they got it because they came out and won games. Our franchise in its current state is more likely to embarrass itself anyway if put in the national spotlight. This year should be about cleaning out the Snyder stench and returning to being a normal competently run franchise. For those worried about the buzz, it will come when earned (or not) based on wins and losses. Buzz without respect is just noise, we already have that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, DWinzit said:

For the purpose of getting a Stadium deal, I'd agree Wright stays on. He may last more than a year due to all his background, contacts and work he has in the process. 

My hopes are the Harris understands the resentment many fans feel towards Wright and keeps him out of the limelight while still representing the team. To me like many others, Wrights presents will be viewed as an extension of the Dan era, a reminder of the past and leaves a bad taste when seen or heard from.

Agree about keeping him out of the limelight especially considering most who head the NFL’s business operation isn’t that known typically. 

If the reason Wright is staying on for now is the stadium, I am speculating some on that but my guess is that’s the main plot line considering Keim keeps saying it’s the stadium, stadium, stadium for the new ownership and at least for now the issues that some fans have with Wright isn’t hot on their plate.  And Keim in a recent podcast explained why.

I could relate to this because it’s exactly how I feel. And while I respect those who are motivated more by other things on the business side, to each their own as to what moves them as fans - it looks like for now Harris is likely moved by other things and speaking for myself I can relate to it because I feel the same way. 

But forgetting Wright, EVERY, business leader of the team from here on should be below the radar. It’s been different here than elsewhere I think because the business was in flames whether it was because of sleaze or declining sales. And Dan was too chicken to speak publicly about all the crap he created. So the business president has almost been like a defacto spokesperson for Dan. That I bet will change with this ownership.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, woodpecker said:

Although I would have loved to watch it, I’m really glad Hard Knocks is not coming to DC. These players and coaches deserve some freedom from the constant off the field distractions that they have experienced constantly for years. The team getting some “buzz” is not going to do a single thing to help them win. You’re not going to get much buzz from it anyway, unless they win. The Lions didn’t get the love from being on the TV show, they got it because they came out and won games. Our franchise in its current state is more likely to embarrass itself anyway if put in the national spotlight. This year should be about cleaning out the Snyder stench and returning to being a normal competently run franchise. For those worried about the buzz, it will come when earned (or not) based on wins and losses. Buzz without respect is just noise, we already have that.

They were dead last in ticket sales the previous year and sold out their opener before they won a game. It was a big story at the time.

But I do agree that winning is key. But stats indicated teams don’t do worse because of Hard Knocks but more on point for me I don’t expect them to be winning this season.

Another 8-9 type of season isn’t the end of the world but Rivera’s seasons IMO have been boring so another mediocre season and boring one will likely cost him his job. 

Hopefully I am wrong but will see 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Wright isn’t going get them a stadium.

I think Rales and Johnson will

be key in getting a new stadium.

I am no expert on stadiums but have seen the process up close in my work on both ends.  So I know a little about it. But I know a lot about the legislative process especially on a local level which I spent a chunk of my career on.

The amount of leg work to set up any major piece of legislation where there are various complications is big time.  You gain knowledge as you chase it as for how specific politicians feel, their constituents, what needs to be resolved, negotiated, etc.

The leg work that Wright and his crew put into this and the knowledge they gained is likely VERY useful at the beginning to help the owners catch up. And often it takes multiple players and relationships to move the needle when you are trying to persuade multiple politicians.

I didn’t say Wright is securing them a stadium. My point is unless Wright is a moron, which he doesn’t strike me to be, his knowledge of the process is likely useful to some extent. 

Reading about Harris he doesn’t strike me as an impetuous, react out of emotion type. That’s our previous owner who rocks emotionally.  Harris’ profile comes off like he’s a clinical results driven dude.

So the idea of keeping Wright for transition type issues like the stadium at the beginning makes sense to me. But his usefulness is likely not much later on hence I mentioned him likely gone next year.

• Like 1

They will squeze all they need to get from  Wright.  Once they are done with that, they will decide to move on. 

Now, it's possible no changes happen until January, which seems likely but I don't see the current front office- business and personnel side making it past early January.   Josh will have an idea of what needs to be done and I am confident , he will come to the conclusion that the people he inherited need to be replaced.

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, woodpecker said:

I understand your point, but there are some things here that for me, are contradictory. For one: if you’re right that they’re likely to embarrass themselves on the show anyways, then you’re wrong that they “deserve” anything. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Conn said:

I understand your point, but there are some things here that for me, are contradictory. For one: if you’re right that they’re likely to embarrass themselves on the show anyways, then you’re wrong that they “deserve” anything. 

agree. If they embarrass themselves on a fluff show where they have editing power and final say would be astounding and they’d be the first team to have that happen.

They’d have to be stupid because they would be signing off on the material that would be damaging. 

I don’t think Ron is stupid so I’d have no worries on that front 

17 hours ago, Conn said:

Fair point, but I meant the organization would embarrass itself, not the players or coaches 

On 7/1/2023 at 4:42 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

I didn’t say Wright is securing them a stadium. My point is unless Wright is a moron, which he doesn’t strike me to be, his knowledge of the process is likely useful to some extent. 

Reading about Harris he doesn’t strike me as an impetuous, react out of emotion type. That’s our previous owner who rocks emotionally.  Harris’ profile comes off like he’s a clinical results driven dude.

So the idea of keeping Wright for transition type issues like the stadium at the beginning makes sense to me. But his usefulness is likely not much later on hence I mentioned him likely gone next year.

Thank goodness Harris and company won't react out of emotion and will be more clinical in his approach to the current employees of all levels! 

We are finally moving from that mentality. Keim even mentioned how part of the Snyder effect started right out by firing lots people, which he had stated he would not do initially.  He continued that trend leading to some labeling it as "shoot, aim, ready" then later deal with the consequences.....UGH!

Is Wright Mr. Wright or Mr. Wrong? Who knows. The Harris group will figure him out methodically and do what is deemed best. I am sure their other organizations don't hang on to nonproductive staff. I figure by this time next year many of the old regime will be filtered out and some will stay on for years to come. 

• Like 5

NFL COACH OF THE YEAR ODDS*

Dan Campbell: +850 (bet $10 to win $95 total)
Sean Payton: +900 (bet $10 to win $100 total)
Matt Eberflus: +1100 (bet $10 to win $120 total)
Arthur Smith: +1400 (bet $10 to win $150 total)
Robert Saleh: +1500 (bet $10 to win $160 total)
Matt LaFleur: +1600 (bet $10 to win $170 total)
Mike McDaniel: +2000 (bet $10 to win $210 total)
Frank Reich: +2200 (bet $10 to win $230 total)
Doug Pederson: +2200 (bet $10 to win $230 total)
DeMeco Ryans: +2200 (bet $10 to win $230 total)
Mike Tomlin: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Kevin Stefanski: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Dennis Allen: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Pete Carroll: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Brandon Staley: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Bill Belichick: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Zac Taylor: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Shane Steichen: +2500 (bet $10 to win $260 total)
Kyle Shanahan: +3000 (bet $10 to win $310 total)
John Harbaugh: +3000 (bet $10 to win $310 total)
Sean McVay: +3000 (bet $10 to win $310 total)
Sean McDermott: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Nick Sirianni: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Mike Vrabel: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Josh McDaniels: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Jonathan Gannon: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Kevin O'Connell: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Brian Daboll: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Ron Rivera: +3500 (bet $10 to win $360 total)
Mike McCarthy: +4000 (bet $10 to win $410 total) 
Andy Reid: +5000 (bet $10 to win $510 total)
Todd Bowles: +5000 (bet $10 to win $510 total)

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/nfl/2023-nfl-coach-of-the-year-odds-lines-best-bet-prediction

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig's take abiut the best under Dan's era.  I am guessing @Voice_of_Reason egged him on to pick Jay?

I like Standig (sometimes) when he's reporting news, and he has some interesting takes, even when I disagree with him.  He's reputable.

This is the dumbest thing any reputable football reporter has ever written in print in the history of covering football. Ever. Like, ever ever.  

#1 is Norv Turner in 1999.  If you're including the whole Dan Snyder era, #1 is Norv Turner in the 1999 season when they went 10-6, had a top-10 offense (maybe top 5?), made the playoffs and won a game. Granted, he was a horrendous HC, but he was a genius OC and play-caller, and that 1999 offensive season was great.

#2 is Kyle Shanahan, who invented an entire offense and called it brilliantly for Griffin in 2012.  He took a QB who was slow as molasses at reading a defense and turned him into the offensive ROTY.  If Norv isn't #1, Kyle is. And I'd hear arguments for Kyle over Norv if you want to make them.

#3 is Sean McVay, NOT Jay, who was the play-caller and OC from 2015 - 2016. He was the OC for 2014, but didn't call plays, Jay did.  McVay was a good OC/Play Caller. 

The top 3 are good.  The next to go on the "Meh" or "ok" list.  

#4 is Joe Gibbs the OC/Play caller for 2004/2005.  It wasn't imaginative, but it was effective.  They ran the ball, had a good enough passing game with a washed up QB, won 10 games, including 5 in a row to make the playoffs, and then won a playoff game.  And Gibbs was the OC/Play Caller + Head Coach.  

#5 is Al Saunders.  I don't care about the 800 page playbook.  It was a good system, and the play calling was fine.  Jason Campell just wasn't very good.  Todd Collins was "ok" for a stint.  But Saunders was a sound OC.

#6 Jim Raye - OC under Marty. It wasn't very imaganitive, but they ran the snot out of the ball, Stephen Davis set the Redskins Rushing Record that year, and they were unimpressively competent.  

Now the bad list:  

#7 Jay Gruden.  And he's not last only because of the two doobies behind him. Jay called plays in 2014 and then took over play-calling again in 2017 after the Rams hired McVay.  Jay ran "duo" on 97% of first downs and was a horrendously atrocious play caller. 

#8 Steve Spurrier.  And he's not last because of the one idiot behind him. But he did get Patrick Ramsey killed, so he has that going for him.  

#9 Jim Zorn/Bingo Caller.  Just awful all the way around.  

If you wanted to make an argument Zorn was better than Spurrier, I'd hear you out, but I think you're wrong.  Zorn was a mess.  

Standig has lost his damn mind.