Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

I was extremely down on Rivera halfway to this point in the season. I am now kind of extremely up on him. So in the grand scheme of things, I'm keeping it medium.

I seriously am ambivalent about Rivera now. Maybe he's got a future, maybe not. Probably not with a new ownership, but I think it'll be a moot point if new owners aren't installed by the time the Super Bowl ends.

25 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I was extremely down on Rivera halfway to this point in the season. I am now kind of extremely up on him. So in the grand scheme of things, I'm keeping it medium.

I seriously am ambivalent about Rivera now. Maybe he's got a future, maybe not. Probably not with a new ownership, but I think it'll be a moot point if new owners aren't installed by the time the Super Bowl ends.

He needs to give up personnel control or add a strategist to that staff. They have been ok at talent evaluation. It is valuation (what they trade away and when they draft folks at) that they suck at.

Turner needs to go for a WCO disciple and he needs a better in game strategist vs the guy he currently has

• Like 1

A lot of folks owe Rivera and JDR an apology.  Just 2 months ago people were calling for their heads.  And now, they have this team sitting at 7-5, something very rare for this horrid organization that Snyder built.

Right now this team looks to be a QB and a few OL short of being a true contender.  Just think, if the organization wasn't so messed up that it drove away the likes of Brendon Scherff, Trent Williams, and Kirk Cousins, this team would already be there.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 3

22 minutes ago, ananoman said:

A lot of folks owe Rivera and JDR an apology.  Just 2 months ago people were calling for their heads.  And now, they have this team sitting at 7-5, something very rare for this horrid organization that Snyder built.

Right now this team looks to be a QB and a few OL short of being a true contender.  Just think, if the organization wasn't so messed up that it drove away the likes of Brendon Scherff, Trent Williams, and Kirk Cousins, this team would already be there.

Have to admit I fit the bill.

I respected Rivera but I just thought he was a truly decent guy who was unfortunately in over his head and his rep and success was largely due to drafting a once every 5 years type quarterback.

As for Del Rio, I thought he was completely incompetent and not worthy of my respect for his actions both on and off the field.

I was clearly wrong on both counts and boy am I glad I was. 

A bonafide old fashioned playoff race beats hoping for a winning lottery ticket by a country mile.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

As for Del Rio, I thought he was completely incompetent and not worthy of my respect for his actions both on and off the field.

Right there with you about JDR,  no doubt it's been a crazy turnaround for this defense.  Can you imagine just how much better this D can be if Young comes back and plays to his potential?? 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Have to admit I fit the bill.

I respected Rivera but I just thought he was a truly decent guy who was unfortunately in over his head and his rep and success was largely due to drafting a once every 5 years type quarterback.

I was clearly wrong on both counts and boy am I glad I was. 

A bonafide old fashioned playoff race beats hoping for a winning lottery ticket by a country mile.

I think it’s fair to feel that way though. We as fans hope for greatness at the beginning of every season. The D looked lost, similar to some of the same issues we had seen last season that we’d hoped they would fix. The team wasn’t gelling at all, specially the D and JDR was the easy target.

On top of the Defensive troubles, Ron hyped up our OL all offseason trying to sell us to any QB that would listen. He got us Wentz and ripped up our OL. As fans we expected better, but were ultimately let down. 

Credit is deserved to the coaches and team for turning it around, but even still some of the early issues were obvious even to most fans and could have been fixed earlier.

• Like 2

I think most of my criticisms of Rivera stand as stated even up till right now—but I admit I was wrong on a HUGE one, one that very well may outweigh all the rest. 

One thing that really bothered me was that his reputation as a “leader of men” who made guys WANT to play for him seemingly wasn’t showing up. That was supposed to be his big calling card that offset some of the other stuff he has deficiencies with, and we were coming out flat, playing undisciplined, not playing with urgency, etc. For all his reputation as someone who can get guys to run through a brick wall for him, I wasn’t seeing the results or the impact. I didn’t think the roster had quit on him or anything—they clearly competed every snap—but it didn’t seem to be any sort of special trait that he had, in terms of outweighing his flaws as an in-game coach and decision-maker. 

I was wrong on that, clearly. We had some major personnel and schematic issues plaguing us to start the year, which have now been accounted for, and it can be hard to separate the signal from the noise when that’s happening. Clearly the team had resolve and never stopped believing—a feature of his rosters over the last few years. He’s truly built a new culture here, although I still expect inconsistency to rear its ugly head at times going forward. 

Now I just hope they don’t accidentally wreck the defense again in the offseason and manage to build on what they have for once, instead of endlessly starting slow each season and having to dig out of a hole as the team and scheme gels. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

Right there with you about JDR,  no doubt it's been a crazy turnaround for this defense.  Can you imagine just how much better this D can be if Young comes back and plays to his potential?? 

That’s the exciting part- the fact that this D is as good as it is without it’s (arguably) best player on the field

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Nothing sums up the last 23 years under Dan Snyder than this. Well said.

You hit the nail on the head. That’s what this actually is. It’s an accidental artistic representation of the last 23 years under Dan Snyder. Cheap, uninspired emptiness wrapped with the window dressing of burgundy and gold and the fading memories of former heroes to tug at the hearts of fans. What a fitting icon of Dan’s last year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

9 hours ago, NickyJ said:

So what Keim's saying is that Ron Rivera is finished this offseason no matter what. It's been 21 years since the team screwed that up, and 21 is the magic number that this team likes to screw up with.

The team is going to drop a teaser saying that the new head coach is someone that's had statues built in his likeness. When the official press release comes out, it'll be revealed that our new head coach is a wire mannequin.

The only way Ron is done this offseason is one of 2 ways.

A new owner takes over by the end of January and he decides he wants his own coach. That’s possible. Ron if he wanted to still coach, could probably get a job in 23.

Ron decides to retire after the season. After 3 years in this Snyder circus, he wants to retire. This is also possible.

1 hour ago, DazedSkinsfan said:

I doubt it. He’s been out for over a year. It’s going a little bit to shake if the dust.I would expect much from Chase this year.

Apology? No.  The team has no long term qb, the #1 position. Ron the gm

and his Gm crew have done a mixed job.  It’s nice we are on a playoff run but our weaknesses will be exposed playoff time. The right matchup and maybe we win a game but that would be it.

I fully expect the new owner to sit down with Ron and tell him that he’s bringing in a Gm after the draft. His Gm crew will  be replaced after the draft. I expect the ownership change to happen late spring; so too late to change before the draft.  He will tell Ron that he expects Ron to be the coach only. The new Gm will decide after the 23 season if Ron remains.

• Like 4

Dan going out the way he came?

Dan’s first season saw him light a fire under failed head coach Turner. We have a playoff berth and even win a playoff game his first year.

Dan’s last season sees the team rebound from a 1-4 start and we are in playoff hunt. We are somehow winning games without an nfl caliber qb. We could even draw a favorable matchup in Round 1 and win a playoff game before reality hits us the following week. If that happens, Dan would be going out the way he came.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, method man said:

He needs to give up personnel control or add a strategist to that staff. They have been ok at talent evaluation. It is valuation (what they trade away and when they draft folks at) that they suck at.

Turner needs to go for a WCO disciple and he needs a better in game strategist vs the guy he currently has

Ehhh I don’t necessarily agree, and this is coming from someone who had really soured on Rivera with the 1-4 start.

This is what the draft has brought us the last 3 seasons under the current FO structure.

Chase Young

Antonio Gibson

Cam Kurl

Jamin Davis

Sam Cosmi

Ben St Juste

Darrick Forrest

Jahan Dotson 

Brian Robinson

These are the guys that I can definitively say are plus players at their position and will be part of the foundation of the team as they enter their primes. To get a starting edge with star potential (pending coming back from injury), one of the best young RB duos in the league, one of the best young safety duos in the league, a long athletic boundary corner, starting right tackle and cornerstone on the O line going forward, and a LB that’s coming into his own and has all the athletic potential in the world, is nothing short of unheard of around the league. Seriously, that’s incredible drafting. And that’s not including good role players like Bates, guys that have flashed like Dyami Brown, Phi Mathis who is total unknown and hurt, and other youngsters like Chris Paul, Holmes, Butler, Tuner, etc that could take Forrest like leaps in year 2 (not saying they will but possible).

If you watch that Mayhew draft video, they seem to have a good relationship and everyone is clued in and collaborating. At least on the surface it seems, obviously tough to know for sure since we aren’t in the building. 

Id be very careful what you wish for. New ownership naturally will mean turnover, but it’s going to be tough to uproot a football FO if those guys continue to draft like they have been doing. 

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Conn said:

I think most of my criticisms of Rivera stand as stated even up till right now—but I admit I was wrong on a HUGE one, one that very well may outweigh all the rest. 

One thing that really bothered me was that his reputation as a “leader of men” who made guys WANT to play for him seemingly wasn’t showing up. That was supposed to be his big calling card that offset some of the other stuff he has deficiencies with, and we were coming out flat, playing undisciplined, not playing with urgency, etc. For all his reputation as someone who can get guys to run through a brick wall for him, I wasn’t seeing the results or the impact. I didn’t think the roster had quit on him or anything—they clearly competed every snap—but it didn’t seem to be any sort of special trait that he had, in terms of outweighing his flaws as an in-game coach and decision-maker. 

I was wrong on that, clearly. We had some major personnel and schematic issues plaguing us to start the year, which have now been accounted for, and it can be hard to separate the signal from the noise when that’s happening. Clearly the team had resolve and never stopped believing—a feature of his rosters over the last few years. He’s truly built a new culture here, although I still expect inconsistency to rear its ugly head at times going forward. 

Now I just hope they don’t accidentally wreck the defense again in the offseason and manage to build on what they have for once, instead of endlessly starting slow each season and having to dig out of a hole as the team and scheme gels. 

Dont doubt yourself. 

This team isn’t playing for Ron, they’re playing for Heiny. 

Ron is just benefitting from Wentz getting hurt… and Ron being forced to play Heinicke. And in spite of that, he goes in and just wins…. all the while he basically saves the whole season…. and Ron is STILL completely non-commital about him and hasn’t ruled out Wentz  returning… and giving up a 2nd rounder to boot.

Im sorry… but Ron isn’t getting any credit from me for any success this year. It seems like the coordinators have enjoyed free reign… Ron’s just delegating…. sitting on the sidelines with his arms crossed and a perma-cantankerous look on his face.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Die Hard said:

Dont doubt yourself. 

This team isn’t playing for Ron, they’re playing for Heiny. 

Ron is just benefitting from Wentz getting hurt… and Ron being forced to play Heinicke. And in spite of that, he goes in and just wins…. all the while he basically saves the whole season…. and Ron is STILL completely non-commital about him and hasn’t ruled out Wentz  returning… and giving up a 2nd rounder to boot.

Im sorry… but Ron isn’t getting any credit from me for any success this year. It seems like the coordinators have enjoyed free rein… Ron’s just delegating…. sitting on the sidelines with his arms crossed and a perma-cantankerous look on his face.

This whole “playing for Heinicke” thing has either gone way too far or this is satire and I missed it. 🤣

54 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

This whole “playing for Heinicke” thing has either gone way too far or this is satire and I missed it. 🤣

Or, since things aren’t binary, there’s a narrative you don’t like, cannot accept, and that you’re dismissing it.

Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady started this year with off-field controversies… and look at their respective teams this year. It matters when your teams rallies around the QB.

On 11/24/2022 at 12:14 PM, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

If Bozos is smart, he will leave people in place who know what they're doing, especially in areas he knows nothing about, like running a stadium.

I disagree compeltely. If the new owner is smart they will get rid of every person in the organization down the stadium personel including cleaning personel. A complete turn over. There should be no stink left from dan s. Set new standards of work at every level and create the new culture from scratch. I realize that means some good people may lose thier jobs but I would not risk keeping anyone who could make it difficult to make the neccessary changes. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Well then… we can cut all the BS (narratives) now and really get to why you replied.😂 

Hey, I can appreciate others thinking as highly of their own opinions.

I don’t really think my opinion is that grand.  

But crediting all of the teams success to them “playing for Heinicke” and all Ron does is stand on the sidelines, with his arms crossed with a stupid look on his face is perhaps the wildest take of all Heinicke takes that I’ve come across.  

…and I just saw a guy defending the pick from last Sunday, so that’s saying something.

I’ve seen all the takes in some form, separately, I’ve just never seen it all put together in one take like you did.  It’s remarkable honestly.  *tips cap*

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ananoman said:

A l And now, they have this team sitting at 7-5, something very rare for this horrid organization that Snyder built.

We gotta pump the brakes about being 7-5 like it's a great thing.  It's great for us because we're not used to it, but to say we're "sitting at 7-5" like it's some lofty position knowing full well we could lose 1 out of 2 to the Giants, lose to SF and Dallas and completely whiff on the playoffs is odd.  Let's not get too far over our skiis.

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I don’t really think my opinion is that grand.  

But crediting all of the teams success to them “playing for Heinicke” and all Ron does is stand on the sidelines, with his arms crossed with a stupid look on his face is perhaps the wildest take of all Heinicke takes that I’ve come across.  

…and I just saw a guy defending the pick from last Sunday, so that’s saying something.

I’ve seen all the takes in some form, separately, I’ve just never seen it all put together in one take like you did.  It’s remarkable honestly.  *tips cap*

The sum counter-argument you’ve presented in each of your 3 replies amounts to “nu-uh.” So excuse me for moving on to something more stimulating.