Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A New Start! (the Reboot) The Front Office, Ownership, & Coaching Staff Thread

JSSkinz
Message added by TK,

Pay Attention Knuckleheads

Has your team support wained due to ownership or can you see past it?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Will you attend a game and support the team while Dan Snyder is the owner of the team, regardless of success?

• Yes
    • No
    • I would start attending games if Dan was no longer the owner of the team.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

OK. There was a BIG warning post from TK about a page ago - let me make it even clearer. In the Stadium we do NOT talk about politics. Period.

In this thread feel free to talk about Del Rio the defensive coordinator and how he handles the D. If you want to talk about his politics take it the Tailgate. There is however a grey area of  how his public statements might impact his ability to coach the D, thats fair game in here but you can have that conversation without getting into the specifics of any political position. If you are in doubt if what you are going to say gets into the political area - don't post it.

From here on out any poster talking in this thread about politics or sharing tweets which are not specifically about Del Rio in a football context will be getting warnings and bans.

Thank you.

I don't care anything about Del Rio's opinions on politics.

Just what he can do for Washington's defense.

• Like 1

For anyone that does want to make a comment about his politics we are currently talking about him in multiple topics in the tailgate so come join and stay out of trouble here. 

We don’t bite enough to kill. The mods don’t let us. 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, Llevron said:

For anyone that does want to make a comment about his politics we are currently talking about him in multiple topics in the tailgate so come join and stay out of trouble here. 

We don’t bite enough to kill. The mods don’t let us. 

We catch and release. Mainly.

• Haha 7

51 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

True, but we’ve heard the players aren’t buying into what Jack wants to do on defense and this will just feed into further resistance to Del Rio.

Eh, it really shouldn't.  I mean, I get human nature and everything. 

But honestly, if your coach says, "occupy these 2 blockers so the LB can make a play" and you're all like, "dammit, I don't want to do the dirty work" that's fine.

However, if you let personal feelings in and then go so far as to say, "I don't want to do this because the guy telling me to is a scumbag and I hate him and the horse he rode in on..."

I mean, I get it.  We've all probably had bosses we hate. But at the end of the day, you need to be a professional and do your job.

Also, I'm not sure I have heard about the team not being on the same page recently.  I know that was kindof a story early in 2020. And I think it was a big reason the let Matt I. walk.  But I haven't heard much about it since.

WJIII said they were asking him to do things he hadn't done, but he didn't say it maliciously like, "I don't want to do them, they be crazy."  It was much more "it took some time for me to get used to it."

At the end of the day, (it's night. But also) either JDR has the football support of the players in the locker room or he doesn't.  If he doesn't, that's a problem.  If he does, then there's no issue. I don't think we'll know.

I also think there are probably some folks on the team, specifically thinking about Jon Allen, if they have a serious personal issue with Jack, they will bring it up somehow. Either with Jack directly or with Ron indirectly.   And if there is a lot of noise, I do think there are some leaders in the locker room who people will go to.  And Ron has always been an approachable guy.

If there are a group of leaders who come forward and say, "we just can't handle it."  I think Jack is done.  Absent that, I think they work through it, and in the end, it isn't that big a deal.  

del Rios’s comments are dumb because, despite his ability to think what he wants, he demonstrates he doesn’t understand or respect the fact that he’s a leader of men from many backgrounds. Some of which are undoubtably have personal experience with what’s behind the BLM. Either themselves or their family and close friends. Or even having children and having to have certain conversations with them or just thoughts and concerns about them. The entire operation is inherently built on trust and respect and he violates both of those when he behaves this way. 

In that sense he’s unfit for the role. Sure, he can fix it, but he has to fix it. And he’s not shown a single sign that indicates he’s aware he has to fix it, or is capable of fixing it. 

As such, pending some future move where he makes amends (with the players and staff - the people that matter), he’s unfit for the job and that should be recognized. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb down 1

5 hours ago, SpacePenguin said:

This isn't a good look. The internet people are in outrage mode, again. I think we may need to get out in front of this and just go ahead and rename our defensive coordinator. Something military themed would be perfect.

Captain Redstate it is! We need to get Tanya working on the concept art for the rebrand.

Comrades we shall be led to a great defensive victory against the capitalist offenses that have defiled football for far too long, by our beloved Red Son Kryptonian Defensive Coordinator. 

Das Vidaniya!!

Long live the Red Son!

Hail to the Kryptonian defense!

image.thumb.png.67f71ee4091de977c2927e77c1e6a301.png

All logos, artwork, and images trademark pending Tanya Snyder Designs Inc.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Virginia won’t vote on it

what Maryland is “offering” is money they already allocated for a major infrastructure project that is going to happen whether the team builds a new stadium or not; whether the team continues to play at fedex or not. 

ie: no one wants our team. It’s crystal clear and not debatable. 

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

But at the end of the day, you need to be a professional and do your job.

That's the theory, but I'm pretty confident that almost everyone around here had a boss asking him to do something stupid or that you know won't work because he knows less than you.

At that point, even if you're being professionnal here and he orders you to do it, many are not gonna do it, or are gonna half-ass it.

I'm pretty sure that happens quite often in pro sports. Many players just don't care that much about fans, teams, teammates and only care about themselves and their own stats so they can make money out of it.

The best answer I've seen from all this mess camed from J. Allen saying all that mattered to him was JDR's ability to coach. It's good to have that kind of guy leading our D. I'm just not sure not everyone will be on the same page.

Sometimes, I'm wondering why the Washington Commanders are the Pro Football team in town, because it rarely looks professionnal at all.

Maybe Ron Rivera should ask our mods how to keep politics out of the locker room...

I’m sorry but “be a professional” is just naive. 

every single player can show up and do as their told, and give it their all. 

but trust and respect matters in group dynamics, specifically it matters that the people being led feel their leader trusts and respects them. 

In an office environment you can minimize that and harp on “just do your job” and even then you’ll have mixed results. 

but this isn’t an office environment. 

its a multi-billion dollar organization full of world class athletes, competing against 31 other multi-billion dollar organizations also staffed with world class athletes. 

Games are won and lost because of intangible and unmeasurable things like will, delicate relationships that require constant attention and promotion by all parties, and extra effort. Mental state matters when you’re waiting for the ball to snap so you can try to outwork the world class athlete lined up across from you, who is also coached by the best in the business much like you are. 

If “be a professional” is your take on what matters here, that seems super naive to me. It means you don’t really “get it.”  

he’s not a sales manager. He’s not an IT director. He’s not the head of HR or Accounting. 

he’s the defensive football coach for a NFL franchise. 

It’s just different. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Thumb up 3

I seriously doubt a lot of players are going to feel the same playing for Del Rio following his "dust up" comment.

His comments also effectively torpedoed any new stadium in Virginia.  Jus look at some of the responses from state senators since he said that, it's over.

I'd be shocked if he wasn't fired, but it may take the production in the field to do it. Expect this to be his last year in DC.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but all the sudden the most likely scenario is they stay in DC at FedEx.  I doubt Maryland gives Snyder the help he needs for a new stadium outside basic infrastructure, and they don't need to, there's no threat of them leaving because neither DC or VA want them.

• Like 2

He did the same thing in Oakland. I don't care about his politics -- and we're in the stadium thread. It's the fact that he can't stop blabbering and tweeting. How hard is it not too? All it does is bring unwanted attention -- something he knows because again, it happened to him before in Oakland. It's nuts.

Also, are we even sure he's a good DC? 

Edited by Hooper
  • Like 2

Welp, it's getting worse now. Guess Del Rio should start updating his resume on LinkedIn:

NAACP President: It’s time for Jack Del Rio to resign or be terminated

On Wednesday night, Commanders defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio posted an apology on Twitter for referring to the January 6 insurrection as a “dustup at the Capitol.”

But Del Rio is still facing heavy criticism for his press conference remarks, which were in line with what he’s posted on the social media website for years.

On Thursday, NAACP President Derrick Johnson released a statement saying that Del Rio’s comments should cost him his job.

“It’s time for Jack Del Rio to resign or be terminated,” Johnson said. “His comments could not have been more offensive and ignorant. The January 6th insurrection — an attempted coup — was far from a “dust-up.” Each day we learn more and more on just how close our democracy came to autocracy. Downplaying the insurrection by comparing it to nationwide protests, which were in response to a public lynching, is twisted. You can’t coach a majority Black team while turning your back on the Black community. It’s time for you to pack up and step off the field.”

There’s been no indication from the Commanders that Del Rio’s job could be in jeopardy. But a Virginia state senator called Del Rio’s remarks “the nail in the coffin” to end a discussion of the franchise’s effort to secure public funding for a new stadium.

Though Washington was No. 2 in total defense and No. 4 in points allowed in 2020, the team fell to No. 22 in yards allowed and No. 25 in points allowed under Del Rio in 2021.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/06/09/naacp-president-its-time-for-jack-del-rio-to-resign-or-be-terminated/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

So, there now seems to be some strong negative backlash to Coach Del Rio.  

If he is shown the door, who takes over as DC? Mills? Rivera?  I don't particularly like those choices.  Don't get me wrong, I think Coach Rivera would be a very good DC, but he has bigger fish to fry.

Someone else from inside the organization?

https://www.commanders.com/team/coaches-roster/

Any outside suggestions?

:229:The Rook

• Like 1

Hate to say this, Rivera doesn't get a free pass bringing this guy knowing that's how he felt about things and his history of talking nonsense like that in other places while in the same breath trying to implement a culture change in DC.

I get it, the NFL Coaching Faternity is real, and coaches that have worked with each other tend to look out for each other in other places.

All the more reason Rivera could've and should've seen this coming.  It is absolutely an indictment on his judge of character and the individuals he will to "put up with" in order to win.  And they aren't winning, the defense has regressed, as if there was anymore reason to say and show that hiring Del Rio wasn't worth it.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

Man has the meaning of that changed LOL

Dude disappeared like our pass rush though so credit where it is due (I guess) 

I can't even look at Mr Skintangibles smug face anymore without thinking about all the horror story rumors about him gleefully being the first to inspect each edition of the infamous "good bits videos" alone in his darkened private bathroom or about him creeping up behind secretaries to surprise them with another unwanted "therapeutic" shoulder rub that all too often ended with an accidental slip and quick caress of their bazoombas"  or about his asking barely legal teen interns to go on a weekend "fact finding" business trip to the Caribbean with him to help "advance their careers."

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Hate to say this, Rivera doesn't get a free pass bringing this guy knowing that's how he felt about things and his history of talking nonsense like that in other places while in the same breath trying to implement a culture change in DC.

I get it, the NFL Coaching Faternity is real, and coaches that have worked with each other tend to look out for each other in other places.

All the more reason Rivera could've and should've seen this coming.  It is absolutely an indictment on his judge of character and the individuals he will to "put up with" in order to win.  And they aren't winning, the defense has regressed, as if there was anymore reason to say and show that hiring Del Rio wasn't worth it.

I'm not saying it hasn't happened, I've just never heard a blip about Del Rio's twitter fingers until he showed up here.  Del Rio should absolutely know better than to touch on divisive topics via twitter or in front of a microphone, so I'm not giving him a pass.  I'm just curious what he did before he got here that Rivera should have known about, and that could have potentially led to this.

1 hour ago, The Rook said:

So, there now seems to be some strong negative backlash to Coach Del Rio.  

If he is shown the door, who takes over as DC? Mills? Rivera?  I don't particularly like those choices.  Don't get me wrong, I think Coach Rivera would be a very good DC, but he has bigger fish to fry.

Someone else from inside the organization?

https://www.commanders.com/team/coaches-roster/

Any outside suggestions?

:229:The Rook

image.png.f0377416aec96fb14c26abe597305264.png

Someone previously had mentioned that Chris Harris was one of the few coaches we have that other teams might interested in promoting to DC.

He has a good rep, respect from his players, he's been fairly innovative according to reports (but who really knows).

I'd roll the dice on him and give him a chance to run the D his way. I think a new voice and approach is exactly the spark our defense needs.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye