Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Summer of 2020---The Civil Unrest Thread--Read OP Before Posting (in memory of George Floyd)

Jumbo

12 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Yeah, so?  This is still news.  After the Rittenhouse trial, it was the trial of the moment.  At the gym today, it was on MSNBC and CNN.  The results are splashed across their websites, ****, even Fox has to pay attention to this one.  

I agree, but alerts tend to be towards the stories most attention grabbing. They know what to push and what not to. I’m not saying it’s right, it’s just how it is.

There was a New Yorker article that seemed a bit even handed and sympathetic to the type of thing Rittenhouse is going through and I assumed he wasn't seeking out the attention from those on the right.  

So basically even in the aftermath of Rittenhouse, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  "That kid has to live with blood on his hands.  Probably does not want the attention."

But now, that I see he visited Trump already, had a Fox documentary in the works.  I thought he might be scarred by what had happened to him.  I read his Tucker Carlson interview and he basically doesn't have any remorse towards the victim nor does he show many signs of internal conflict.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

There was a New Yorker article that seemed a bit even handed and sympathetic to the type of thing Rittenhouse is going through and I assumed he wasn't seeking out the attention from those on the right.  

So basically even in the aftermath of Rittenhouse, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.  "That kid has to live with blood on his hands.  Probably does not want the attention."

But now, that I see he visited Trump already, had a Fox documentary in the works.  I thought he might be scarred by what had happened to him.  I read his Tucker Carlson interview and he basically doesn't have any remorse towards the victim nor does he show many signs of internal conflict.  

He was a dumb kid to begin with, he's continuing to be dumb.  I don't want to use age as an excuse for him, but not everyone makes good decisions at that age.  Maybe that changes as he gets older, maybe he'll feel differently.  But probably not, not as long as he's continually being patted on the back by people like Trump and organizations like Fox.  

You can't get mad at water for being wet.  I can't get mad or upset at this kid for allowing himself to be propped up as some folk-hero to the right because from the start he's been an idiot the entire time.  When people show you are who they are from the beginning, believe them.  

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

The kyle case was FAR more polarizing to the average american. 

because there was an argument to be made.  There’s little controversy to be had when the vast majority agree.  The media shouldn’t be fomenting that outrage though.  Especially when a calm breakdown of the facts would make it apparent to anyone that Kyle being convicted of murder was always a long shot. 

Also by sending out alerts only for the things that make us angry, they’re not doing us a favor.  It warps people’s world views and makes us angrier at each other.

• Like 4

Rittenhouse obviously had issues beforehand, many of them were likely cultivated by the people around him.  There was a chance that this entire ordeal would have woken him up a little bit about the consequences of his actions, regardless of his guilt/innocence legally speaking, however it seems like he is sort of embracing the coddling by the right-wing trying to make him a superstar.  He is still young so a part of me gets why it is hard to resist being given the "hero" treatment, but at the same time, it's like dude.....go away. 

1. Leaving my opinion of whether Rittenhouse is actually guilty or not aside, can anyone explain to me why he was treated the way he was treated? Why was he allowed to shoot a crowd of people in the street and just walk past the cops and go home? Why was he allowed bail? Why was he allowed to "disappear" while on bond and no one did anything about? Why was the judge basically in his lap? Guilty or not, Ol' Kyle was shown a lot of love from the judge. I wouldn't mind the DOJ looking into that...

2. I hope Rittenhouse does sue the media, it should open up a precedent that will either make Fox News go legit or extinct. I'd rather have them die, but I'll take neutered as a side option.

3.  No three, I'm tired.

24 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Am I the only one who got similar alerts for both cases from the same sources?

I got npr

but no others. 

honestly the npr alert took a while. I learned about it from this thread. That’s not super often for breaking news. I may get more info from the threads but the general alert dings my phone (which sends me here)

33 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

Rittenhouse obviously had issues beforehand, many of them were likely cultivated by the people around him.  There was a chance that this entire ordeal would have woken him up a little bit about the consequences of his actions, regardless of his guilt/innocence legally speaking, however it seems like he is sort of embracing the coddling by the right-wing trying to make him a superstar.  He is still young so a part of me gets why it is hard to resist being given the "hero" treatment, but at the same time, it's like dude.....go away. 

Why? He did exactly what he wanted to do. His actions after the event and his actions after the trial don't exactly depict the demeanor someone who is all that emotionally distraught over what he did. Go to a protest, kill some people, fake cry and before you know it you're meeting with former presidents and being considered for medals of the highest degree. This whole incident has created thousands of new Kyles.

14 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

1. Leaving my opinion of whether Rittenhouse is actually guilty or not aside, can anyone explain to me why he was treated the way he was treated? Why was he allowed to shoot a crowd of people in the street and just walk past the cops and go home? Why was he allowed bail? Why was he allowed to "disappear" while on bond and no one did anything about? Why was the judge basically in his lap? Guilty or not, Ol' Kyle was shown a lot of love from the judge. I wouldn't mind the DOJ looking into that...

It's pretty easy to understand why (psst.... check his skin color).

53 minutes ago, Destino said:

because there was an argument to be made.  There’s little controversy to be had when the vast majority agree.  The media shouldn’t be fomenting that outrage though.  Especially when a calm breakdown of the facts would make it apparent to anyone that Kyle being convicted of murder was always a long shot. 

Also by sending out alerts only for the things that make us angry, they’re not doing us a favor.  It warps people’s world views and makes us angrier at each other.

Well, that's a whole other topic altogether. If anyone thinks the media isn't being used as a way to keep us fighting amongst each other then they're naive. From what I gather here, most who post go through the effort of not just trusting one or two media sources without due diligence. 

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

I got npr

but no others. 

honestly the npr alert took a while. I learned about it from this thread. That’s not super often for breaking news. I may get more info from the threads but the general alert dings my phone (which sends me here)

I got the WaPo and CNN alerts on my phone at 1:52.  I saw the banner on Yahoo! come up a few minutes earlier.  Then an Atlantic article much later.  Similar to what I got on the Wisconsin trial.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Judge sends self-proclaimed Proud Boy Alan Swinney to prison for 10 years, citing his lack of remorse

A judge on Friday sentenced self-proclaimed Proud Boy Alan Swinney to 10 years in prison for pulling out a loaded revolver, firing paintballs and spraying bear mace at counterprotesters in downtown Portland last year.

Multnomah County Circuit Judge Heidi Moawad said Swinney had shown no remorse during his trial and up to his sentencing for his actions during two demonstrations in August 2020.

While she said she agreed with Swinney’s lawyer “that there were bad actors on both sides on both days,” she added: “The fact is that you are not just reacting on those dates. You were also provoking and you chose then to become one of those bad actors as well.”

Prosecutor Nathan Vasquez sought a slightly higher sentence of 10 years and one month, calling Swinney a “lightning rod” for political violence and an “extreme danger” to the community.

Vasquez also submitted a letter Swinney wrote from the county’s Inverness Jail to former Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin. Swinney disparaged George Floyd, the Black man Chauvin killed by kneeling on his neck for more than nine minutes.

“This day has been a long time in coming,” Vasquez said. “He traveled around the country looking for fight. He came to Portland because he knew he would get that fight. ... He is a white nationalist vigilante cowboy. And what’s the most troubling part about that statement? He actually enjoys that label.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Derek Chauvin to change plea in federal civil rights case in death of George Floyd

Derek Chauvin, the former Minneapolis police officer who was convicted in April on state murder charges for killing George Floyd, is scheduled to appear at a change of plea hearing Wednesday in the federal civil rights case against him, according to court documents.

Chauvin is accused of depriving Floyd's right to be free from "unreasonable seizure, which includes the right to be free from the use of unreasonable force by a police officer."

Chauvin pleaded not guilty to the charges in September.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering how easy it is to confuse a handgun for a taser and found this:

How often do officers confuse a gun with a Taser?

20-taser-superJumbo-v2.png?quality=75&au

Incidents in which police officers mistakenly fired their guns when they meant to draw their Tasers have not been common, but there have been several in recent years.

In 2018, a rookie Kansas police officer mistakenly shot a man who was fighting with a fellow officer. In 2019, a police officer in Pennsylvania shouted “Taser!” before shooting an unarmed man in the torso. And in one of the most publicized cases, a white police officer with the Bay Area Rapid Transit agency said he had meant to fire his Taser when he fatally shot Oscar Grant III, who was Black, as Mr. Grant was lying facedown on the train platform on New Year’s Day in 2009.

In April, The New York Times reported that of 15 cases of so-called weapon confusion in the last two decades, a third of the officers were indicted, and three officers were found guilty, including the only two cases in which people were killed.

In Kimberly Potter’s trial, one of the prosecution’s expert witnesses testified that he was aware of fewer than 20 instances of what is called “weapons confusion” between a Taser and a gun since 2001.

The witness, Seth Stoughton, a law professor at the University of South Carolina who studies the use of force by police officers, said many police forces now train officers on how to avoid weapons confusion, which he called a “very well-known” risk.

To reduce the risk, Mr. Stoughton said, many law enforcement agencies advise officers to keep their Taser on the nondominant side of their police belt, as Ms. Potter’s was. And the companies that make stun guns have tried to make them appear more distinct from guns. Many Tasers are at least partially bright yellow, as Ms. Potter’s was.

My own opinion?  It wasn't intentional.  But a 26-year veteran of the police force shouldn't make mistakes like that.  (If she had fired on purpose and hit the wrong person because everyone was moving around?  Totally different, though I have little patience for that, too.)  She yelled, "Taser, taser" and then fired her gun, so it was already in her hand and she (a 26-year veteran) didn't stop to even question what was in her hand for a split second. 

I make change all day, and if blinded tomorrow I would know the difference in small coins.  I think it was her "experience" that the jury couldn't get past.  If you're a training officer (she was), that was the most epic fail ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

George Floyd's great niece, 4, is shot in her bed by gunman during a 'targeted attack' on her family's Texas home and is being treated for punctured lung, liver and three broken ribs

The four-year-old great-niece of George Floyd has been shot in her bed, during a 'targeted attack' on her Texas apartment in the middle of the night.

Arianna Delane is expected to survive but had to undergo surgery in Houston over the weekend after bullets punctures her lung and liver, leaving her with three broken ribs.

So far, police have not revealed a motive nor have they provided a description of the shooter. But the family have said they know who opened fire, and have suggested the shooting was targeted, without commenting further on a possible motive.  

The family have also claimed that the police did not arrive until 7am - four hours after the incident occurred. 

An investigation is now underway to examine why the police response was so delayed. 

'I am aware and have concerns regarding the delayed response time in this incident and have initiated an Internal Affairs investigation. I ask the city continue to pray for the child's full recovery and assist in providing information that would lead to the arrest of the suspect or suspects responsible,' Houston Police Chief Troy Finner said in a statement.

Click on the link for the full story

• Sad 4

On 12/23/2021 at 3:51 PM, China said:

I was wondering how easy it is to confuse a handgun for a taser and found this:

It's weird how that mistake never happens the other way-- A cop goes to protect their partner being threatened and instead of shooting the aggressor they accidentally taze them.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bang said:

It's how wars are fought now.
Its how this one is / will be fought.

~Bang

By people who call themselves brave, American heroes, yet steal in the early hours to inflict damage on 4-year olds. 

Just like an earlier post about a  70+ year old white guy stating there’s a lot of us who are angry and have weapons. Gee whiz old man, I’m an old guy too, and I’m getting sick and tired of this drivel. You don’t think we own guns too? It’s ****ing America. When push comes to shove, we’ll see who means business.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1