Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

2 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think the fact is that Scherff is without question a very good player.....

However paying him 18mil on the tag is ****ing stupid. Given we could have a player at that position for half the cost, then by definition that is detrimental to the overall/bigger picture of roster building. 

Don’t think that is an attempt to express superior understanding of anything, simply a statement of obvious common sense.

It won't bother me so much, if ultimately it does not prevent us from having the cap space to sign all the FA's that we want and need.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It won't bother me so much, if ultimately it does not prevent us from having the cap space to sign all the FA's that we want and need.

Of course, even if that is the case, we’re still losing out on however many mil we could have rolled over.  Not the end of the world though.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

However paying him 18mil on the tag is ****ing stupid. Given we could have a player at that position for half the cost, then by definition that is detrimental to the overall/bigger picture of roster building. 

Which player did WFT want to sign that they were unable to sign due to the tag(s)?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Master Blaster said:

Which player did WFT want to sign that they were unable to sign due to the tag(s)?

You were the one who unduly criticised a poster with the ‘superior understanding of roster building line’ yet this is what you counter with? I’ll not get dragged in further, but I think his knowledge may well in fact be superior to yours...:kickcan:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

You were the one who unduly criticised a poster with the ‘superior understanding of roster building line’ yet this is what you counter with? I’ll not get dragged in further, but I think his knowledge may well in fact be superior to yours...:kickcan:

That’s a lot of words to say “none.”

The superiority claim was based off his “people forget” post like he is the only one smart enough to understand. 

Two years, $32 million is going rate for All-Pro Guard 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Master Blaster said:

That’s a lot of words to say “none.”

The superiority claim was based off his “people forget” post like he is the only one smart enough to understand. 

Two years, $32 million is going rate for All-Pro Guard 

Ok - I'll revise my original post - some people don't understand how the salary cap works.  

You're assertion that there wasn't a player they didn't sign last year due to money is irrelevant because whatever wasn't spent last year is available this year.... and so on.

You will never know what they would do with additional cap space this year, but it's foolish to assume that it doesn't matter. 

23 hours ago, Riggodrill44 said:

Thuney got 5/80 million with 32 million guaranteed. And another 16 million partially guaranteed.

He’s 2 years younger than Scherff. 

Scherff would have been hard press to get 15 million a year on the open market. We just bidding against ourselves.

It might be a good idea to use one of our middle round picks on a guard who can be developed to replace Scherff in 2022.    

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

It might be a good idea to use one of our middle round picks on a guard who can be developed to replace Scherff in 2022.    

A good idea, except it hasn't really worked for us. Outside of Roullier and Moses, most of our midround OL picks have been busts or disappointments. Maybe Saahdiq Charles will be different than Geron Christian or Kouandjo or Wes Martin or Pierschbacher...

20 hours ago, Ball Security said:

With Sharpe in the fold, there are ten OL.  Can’t imagine going through the draft and not taking a lineman.  Is it the end of the line  here for Christian?

Christian was decent when he played. Some people act like he sucked last year. He didn't. I honestly wonder if LT is a priority for Rivera. A competition between Christian, Lucas, and Charles at LT could be sufficient. 

8 hours ago, method man said:

Christian makes the team for sure next year. Even if we add a LT in the draft, Christian is a solid option for a backup tackle.

I don’t know.  With Larsen/Lawson?? signed, we now have 11 linemen.  4 tackles; 3 guards; 3 C/Gs; and G/T (Charles).  They are bringing back Sharpe, a guy they brought in, a guy with close ties to JDR.  Let’s say the get Darrisaw or Cosmi in the first.  I think you then commit to making Charles a guard.  You then have Lucas, Christian, and Sharpe battling for at most two backup tackle spots.  They could choose to keep 3 tackles with Charles as the fourth, but primarily a guard.

How many linemen do we typically carry?  I feel like we started the season last year with nine.  (Charles on PUP, I believe).  Sharpe, Lawson, Christian, and Martin would likely all be on the bubble with three of them possibly gone.  

8 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Christian was decent when he played. Some people act like he sucked last year. He didn't. I honestly wonder if LT is a priority for Rivera. A competition between Christian, Lucas, and Charles at LT could be sufficient. 

If Charles doesn’t win that competition then 2022 gets dicey because Lucas and Christian become FAs.

50 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Maybe I’m jumping the gun a tad but Sad-Eek sure looked like a first ballot hall of famer with the way he was pulling and pancaking defenders on the three plays he lasted before his trick calf gave out on him. /p

We should probably lock him up now before he gets too expensive. 

On 3/17/2021 at 9:34 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I think we need to draft a LT.  Then see what we have in Charles at LG at some stage.

Some serious money being invested on top OL. 

Agree, UK74.  In the first or second round.

On 3/16/2021 at 6:51 PM, DiscoBob said:

Might be Saahdiq Charles

Possibly.  I am hoping he can play LT but we need to draft a LT in the upcoming draft in the 1st or 2nd round, IMO.

Call me crazy but... If they don't draft a LT in the 1st 2 rounds, I'd consider moving Moses there.  When he switched there last season due to injuries, I thought he played his best games there.  Maybe he's the kind of player that thrives on that kind of challenge.  Or maybe I wasn't watching close enough, and I'm overrating his play at LT.        

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Call me crazy but... If they don't draft a LT in the 1st 2 rounds, I'd consider moving Moses there.  When he switched there last season due to injuries, I thought he played his best games there.  Maybe he's the kind of player that thrives on that kind of challenge.  Or maybe I wasn't watching close enough, and I'm overrating his play at LT.        

Not a fan of guys changing positions. Moses is rock solid at RT. He was having maybe his best season there last year before getting hurt.

Charles is such a strange/hard situation.

Normally you can’t count on injured players, they are only a bonus and you have to replace them with someone as you figure it out.

But if they have Charles tabbed as the future LT, drafting a LT in the first seems pretty wasteful in terms of use of resources UNLESS they are the true BPA. If they have him tabbed as the LG of the future, drafting a LT makes all the sense in the world. 

That’s something we can’t prognosticate from the cheap seats, either. We can make an educated guess... and mine is they have him tabbed at guard, which means LT early makes sense. But I can see a scenario where they are happy with Schweitzer at LG and are comfortable with Christian, Charles, Lucas getting one last chance to prove LT is their spot to lose. 

My current theory: they go BPA at 19 but have it weighted heavily toward LB/OT/WR/FS.

In which case I think LB (Zaven Collins) winds up winning due to who is off the board and who is on it.

But them drafting an OT can’t be written off.

Edited by KDawg

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Charles is such a strange/hard situation.

Normally you can’t count on injured players, they are only a bonus and you have to replace them with someone as you figure it out.

But if they have Charles tabbed as the future LT, drafting a LT in the first seems pretty wasteful in terms of use of resources UNLESS they are the true BPA. If they have him tabbed as the LG of the future, drafting a LT makes all the sense in the world. 

That’s something we can’t prognosticate from the cheap seats, either. We can make an educated guess... and mine is they have him tabbed at guard, which means LT early makes sense. But I can see a scenario where they are happy with Schweitzer at LG and are comfortable with Christian, Charles, Lucas getting one last chance to prove LT is their spot to lose. 

My current theory: they go BPA at 19 but have it weighted heavily toward LB/OT/WR/FS.

In which case I think LB (Zaven Collins) winds up winning due to who is off the board and who is on it.

But them drafting an OT can’t be written off.

In that scenario, AVT (if he makes it to 19) might make perfect sense.  He has the capability to play LT (as this year showed), but he'd be an all-pro LG potentially.

Just now, mhd24 said:

In that scenario, AVT (if he makes it to 19) might make perfect sense.  He has the capability to play LT (as this year showed), but he'd be an all-pro LG potentially.

AVT IS a guard. A great one, actually. But I think playing him out of position at LT is a mistake.