Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

2 minutes ago, bakedtater1 said:

So.were just gonna let him walk eh?..that blows 

We'll see how it plays out....we picked up a few guys through FA and the draft so maybe someone slides in and we use Scherffs money someplace else? Also, if we have a great season and keep improving this is gonna be a desirable place to play for a change so maybe he'll want to stay? It's almost as if both sides are betting on themselves in this situation.

• Like 1

He'll walk, and I think that was his plan the whole time. He's got Cousins' playbook.  Say the right things and do the right things, then play innocent with "hey, we did what we could do" <shoulder shrug>.  That way he's not viewed as detrimental to the team and can get top dollar elsewhere.  It'll suck to see him go but Rivera played this the best he could. WFT just isn't going to be strong-armed into overpaying for a guard, no matter how good the guard. I can't blame him for maximizing his value, but it still sucks.

He spent the last 3 years on IR (Pec, shoulder, knee).  He said he wants to stay in Washington for life, lol. The dude is injury prone and greedy let him walk, and see if the grass is greener elsewhere.

Edited by FrFan
  • Like 1

I'm beginning to wonder whether the team should ever use the franchise tag except in situations where they know they can tag and trade.  I understand that this tag was an insurance policy for the OL but it seems the franchise results in an guaranteed departure of the player after paying big bucks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vanguard said:

I knew this was going to happen.  We’re going to lose our only All Pro player.

Who's a *guard*.  Seriously, the fact that he's our only all-pro is worse than losing him, especially if he wants to be paid like a guy who makes spectacular catches, shuts down the opponent's #1 receiver, or wreaks havoc on opposing QBs.  How much more impact would he have than the OG we take with our #1 in next year's draft?  That $18+ mil can be better spent elsewhere.  Get over it.  Scherff has.

If there's no QB worth picking at our draft spot next year, it's obvious a premium pick needs to be spent to replace him. He's gone, but he'll be 30, you have to expect that he only has a few years of top level productivity left. He was older when we drafted him but we still got really good play from him. We're definitely going to need to spend a very high pick to replace him though. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Yeah such an unimportant position--probably can just replace him with Wes Martin next year. Dime a dozen.

I don't respond to stupid assertions with an ad hominem.  I never said, nor did i imply, dime a dozen and you know it.  But whatever.

37 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

Who's a *guard*.  Seriously, the fact that he's our only all-pro is worse than losing him, especially if he wants to be paid like a guy who makes spectacular catches, shuts down the opponent's #1 receiver, or wreaks havoc on opposing QBs.  How much more impact would he have than the OG we take with our #1 in next year's draft?  That $18+ mil can be better spent elsewhere.  Get over it.  Scherff has.

Don’t tell me what to get over, you don’t know how devastated I am or am not.  I don’t like losing an All Pro no matter what position.  Is he replaceable?  He probably is replaceable, but will we ever fill that void with the same caliber player?

Take your frustration out on Scherff.  I’m saying what needs to be said.

1 minute ago, GothSkinsFan said:

I don't respond to stupid assertions with an ad hominem.  I never said, nor did i imply, dime a dozen and you know it.  But whatever.

You definitely implied it, but whatever.

And, that was blatant sarcasm. if you think that's "ad hominem" you need to grow thicker skin. There, that's more ad hominem.

1 minute ago, Vanguard said:

Don’t tell me what to get over, you don’t know how devastated I am or am not.  I don’t like losing an All Pro no matter what position.  Is he replaceable?  He probably is replaceable, but will we ever fill that void with the same caliber player?

Take your frustration out on Scherff.  I’m saying what needs to be said.

I have no frustrations in this matter.  Scherff got us to 1 paloff game so far.  He's oft injured and he's a guard.  Sure, i'd love to keep him at a reasonable price, but there's no way he should tie up $18mil in cap room, not until we hit Zimbabwe-levels of inflation anyway.  Heck, we lost perhaps the best LT in the NFL now and we've gotten over it.  We'll get over Scherff.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

You definitely implied it, but whatever.

And, that was blatant sarcasm. if you think that's "ad hominem" you need to grow thicker skin. There, that's more ad hominem.

Of course I implied it and of course it was blatant sarcasm.  Veiled sarcasm is as appropriate in a sports forum as a glass of chenin blanc.  This is our gridiron and to paraphrase the great H. L. Mencken, every man must be tempted at times to unleash his inner Conrad Dobler and begin slitting foolish remarks.

8 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

I have no frustrations in this matter.  Scherff got us to 1 paloff game so far.  He's oft injured and he's a guard.  Sure, i'd love to keep him at a reasonable price, but there's no way he should tie up $18mil in cap room, not until we hit Zimbabwe-levels of inflation anyway.  Heck, we lost perhaps the best LT in the NFL now and we've gotten over it.  We'll get over Scherff.

For sure we will, no doubt about it.

But that seems to become an habit from players here to force us to tag them then let them leave.

We might start to think about a better strategy on that side of the ball.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

So.were just gonna let him walk eh?..that blows 

I'd rather have a 3rd round comp pick than overpay an aging injury prone IOL.  if he wants to chase the biggest payday and not stay here (which I don't blame him for that), then I say don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

And anyone who thought there was even a remote chance that scherff would've relinquished all that leverage to sign a long term contract here that was anything short of a disastrous overpay, ive got some beautiful oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.

34 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

I'd rather have a 3rd round comp pick than overpay an aging injury prone IOL.  if he wants to chase the biggest payday and not stay here (which I don't blame him for that), then I say don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

And anyone who thought there was even a remote chance that scherff would've relinquished all that leverage to sign a long term contract here that was anything short of a disastrous overpay, ive got some beautiful oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.

I'll chip in part of my child tax relief payment thing here shortly...aaaand you can have $125.00 out of each one of my chec....**** it I give..