Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

20 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I usually follow our own roster really closely and know about players on the roster, that a lot of people didn't know existed, but I completely forgot all about Christian being on our team.

I don't know if it's my memory starting to go, or if it's a reflection of what I think his chances are, of making this team in 2021.

Oh, and I don't consider Larsen to be Camp Fodder. He has a decent chance of making the team.

And don't forget we still have about 4 draft picks left to make

Christian definitely makes the team as the 4th tackle over Sharpe, who was trash when he got to play

• Like 1

Adding Flowers and Cosmi to this group, along with the returning Charles, is excellent. I wouldn’t rule out us drafting another OL too.

The revised practice squad rules help roster management to stash some extra numbers away in-season.

Right now I think our OL looks like this:  Lucas, Flowers, Roullier, Scherff, Moses, Charles, Schweitzer, Cosmi, Ismael and from there maybe a couple guys on PS, including possibly a vet

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, carex said:

Right now I think our OL looks like this:  Lucas, Flowers, Roullier, Scherff, Moses, Charles, Schweitzer, Cosmi, Ismael and from there maybe a couple guys on PS, including possibly a vet

That’s pretty much how I see it.  Question becomes whether they keep 9 or 10 OL.  In your scenario you have 4 tackles plus Schweitzer and Flowers who could slide over in an emergency.  Two centers.  And four guys who can play guard plus Cosmi and Charles who could move inside.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

That’s pretty much how I see it.  Question becomes whether they keep 9 or 10 OL.  In your scenario you have 4 tackles plus Schweitzer and Flowers who could slide over in an emergency.  Two centers.  And four guys who can play guard plus Cosmi and Charles who could move inside.

I don't think Schweitzer slides out to tackle, he slides in to center.  Unless we draft another OL I have to figure Larsen would be the tenth guy.  Whether he goes to PS, since it's now possible to have a few guys with unlimited time in the league, depends on if he'd sign

1 hour ago, carex said:

I don't think Schweitzer slides out to tackle, he slides in to center.  Unless we draft another OL I have to figure Larsen would be the tenth guy.  Whether he goes to PS, since it's now possible to have a few guys with unlimited time in the league, depends on if he'd sign

I didn’t clarify, but what I meant was that Schweitzer and/or Flowers could play tackle in an emergency.  If you have three tackles active on game day and need a fourth, you have those two.

Not sure what to think about Larson.  When they signed him, I thought maybe they weren’t pleased with Ismael.  They also signed another C/G guy that’s young.  Difficult last name, possibly from Wisconsin.

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

I didn’t clarify, but what I meant was that Schweitzer and/or Flowers could play tackle in an emergency.  

Flowers can't can't play tackle in a video game; that's why he's here in the first place.  If it gets to the point, in game, where we have 1 tackle who can keep his suit on, we put the least worst guy out at the other tackle spot, shackle a TE to him, and run the ball over and over and over.  If you're behind and you have 1 tackle available, you're not going to come from behind by passing, barring a miracle.

Not sure we have our LT of the future on the roster.  But overall depth we've acquired is great.

Long term I really like where we're at for IOL and probably RT.  Having only 1 position out of 5 I'm unsure of for the future is pretty good.

Edit: saying this as there's a chance Cosmi and Charles are Guards not Tackles.

Edited by Alcoholic Zebra

24 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Not sure we have our LT of the future on the roster.  But overall depth we've acquired is great.

Long term I really like where we're at for IOL and probably RT.  Having only 1 position out of 5 I'm unsure of for the future is pretty good.

Edit: saying this as there's a chance Cosmi and Charles are Guards not Tackles.

Don't sleep on Cosmi!!  I think he's without a doubt the LT of the future. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VaK9Trainer said:

Don't sleep on Cosmi!!  I think he's without a doubt the LT of the future. 

He's a gamer, but he's got some short arms.  It worked ok at the college level, just not sure how it'll work at the pro level.

I'm being cautiously optimistic.  But recognizing LT is a but uncertain.

Been thinking about it more, and the lack of taking an IOL prospect in this class suggests to me that they're going to make a serious attempt to bring Scherff back.

Cosmi/Charles left side would be dicey this year given the lack of experience between them but you'd have a vet QB and vet center and right side.  I would give it a shot as it could grow into a dominant side because those two are so talented.

A 2022 line where Cosmi and Charles have a year of starts and Roullier, Scherff, and Moses are still here on the right side is not just a good line.  It could be upper tier in the NFL.  Reinforce the weapons at WR and RB and you have the infrastructure in place that Russell Wilson could lead to a Superbowl.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I don't know I think the fact that we brought Flowers back is a sign that Scherff is probably gone after this year.

I agree.  Add in that both Charles and Cosmi are OT/G versatile and I think the team is going to try to get a starting spot for 1 or both somewhere on the line.  Scherff extension money would go to DL to keep that strong while OL is built up cheap on rookie contracts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think this OL is now a position of strength. The fact that we're talking about who will start says a lot. Personally, I was thinking Charles and Flowers will take up the left side. But Cosmi looks like a beast. Charles struck me as the same. Flowers did a great job at guard when he was here. Now with all that said, last year's starting right side wasn't bad. Would Charles/Cosmi and Flowers be an upgrade over the current starters? Regardless, we've got debt. Plus we've got solid explosive running backs that should make the line look right in the run game. I think we've done a good job of managing the risk of losing Schreff. Fact is, we've got next year's draft and a FA period to find his replacement if he doesn't sign. 

Loving the look of the OL as we now have competition and should/when someone goes down then the next guy is more than capable of stepping up..

Charles position could be interesting and he’s gonna need to be healthy and has a fight for a place now 

I like that we have depth at OL. I don't think we have a super awesome line but it should be serviceable over the course of 17 games. One or two injuries shouldn't completely derail us, it won't be like in years past when we'd be force to play the likes of Stephon Heyer due to injuries.

19 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

I agree.  Add in that both Charles and Cosmi are OT/G versatile and I think the team is going to try to get a starting spot for 1 or both somewhere on the line.  Scherff extension money would go to DL to keep that strong while OL is built up cheap on rookie contracts.

I think Flowers puts Charles more in jeopardy than Scherff.  Feels like we got him so we wouldn't be forced to start two wholly inexperienced players on the left side.  Now Cosmi and Charles only play if they earn their jobs against real competition.

He and Moses are only signed through 2022.  Could be significant churn in the OL then if we also let Scherff walk after this season.

I would basically consider Lucas, Scherff, Roullier, Flowers, Moses, Schweitzer, Cosmi, and Charles to be locks to make the 53. Obviously an injury could happen, but that's 8 spots right there. I get that Christian has underwhelmed overall, but he was actually starting at LT over Lucas last year until he got hurt. So you'd think he has a decent shot of a spot on the 53. Ismael is a possibility, but depends on development. Even Larsen has been good enough to be on someone's 53 for several years running. And then there's Wes Martin and David Sharpe. Good enough to make the 53 last year, but way on the outside looking in in 2021. Should be interesting.

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think Flowers puts Charles more in jeopardy than Scherff.  Feels like we got him so we wouldn't be forced to start two wholly inexperienced players on the left side.  Now Cosmi and Charles only play if they earn their jobs against real competition.

He and Moses are only signed through 2022.  Could be significant churn in the OL then if we also let Scherff walk after this season.

I think the churn is reasonable and expected.

Lucas, Scherff, and Moses will all be 30 for this upcoming 2021 season.  If Scherff gets a new deal, his first season on that will be 31.  Moses first season on a new deal would be 32.  Using that money to retain DL talent and McLaurin seems better long term.  Scherff's new deal would also reset the Guard market, as he's negotiating with leverage.  It wouldn't be just the highest paid, but significantly more than that.  He might get a few million less in the open market, but with us, he could easily squeeze that out.

OL under contract through 2024:

- Cosmi and Roullier

Through 2023:

- Charles and Ismael

Through 2022:

- Flowers, Schweitzer, and Moses

Scherff can walk in 2022 and the IOL is arguably still in a good spot.  Cutting Charles would hurt long term stability.

• Like 2