Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

10 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Not a fan of guys changing positions. Moses is rock solid at RT. He was having maybe his best season there last year before getting hurt.

Still, he does get called for a lot of penalties at RT - led the NFL in 2018 - maybe because he played hurt a lot?  

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Charles is such a strange/hard situation.

Normally you can’t count on injured players, they are only a bonus and you have to replace them with someone as you figure it out.

But if they have Charles tabbed as the future LT, drafting a LT in the first seems pretty wasteful in terms of use of resources UNLESS they are the true BPA. If they have him tabbed as the LG of the future, drafting a LT makes all the sense in the world. 

That’s something we can’t prognosticate from the cheap seats, either. We can make an educated guess... and mine is they have him tabbed at guard, which means LT early makes sense. But I can see a scenario where they are happy with Schweitzer at LG and are comfortable with Christian, Charles, Lucas getting one last chance to prove LT is their spot to lose. 

My current theory: they go BPA at 19 but have it weighted heavily toward LB/OT/WR/FS.

In which case I think LB (Zaven Collins) winds up winning due to who is off the board and who is on it.

But them drafting an OT can’t be written off.

Exactly.  This would be my best guess at what their thinking might be.  We really don't know what there confidence level is at LT but the draft will probably tell us.    If they think Lucas was good enough or they think charles could be good enough, we will know because they will wait on LT in the first and go BPA..probably LB.    

If they go LT in the first, I trust that they have their reasons, and I would definitely support it.

Personally If I had to guess, like you, I see them waiting on LT and going bpa/ Collins in the 1st and then banking on Lucas, Charles, or a later round guy to be good enough at LT.  Then in 2022 they will have nobody under contract and can decide how they want to address it. 

If they are like me they are drunk on Zavens length and size.  We have such an athletic and rangy front four, that is why we were getting so many batted balls.  Adding Collins right in the middle of that is the very definition of adding to a strength and a key ingredient for an elite group.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carex said:

well, we were apparently thinking of starting him at LG.  An I thought Charles was one of those college LTs who could swing to the right side.  So I can see him being our future LT, LG or RT

Schweitzer played well at LG last year, hopefully Charles could take over from Sherff at RG in 2022, still fuming that we are paying Sherff 18m for 1 year and then no doubt he will leave us and we'll get a complimentary pick in 2023 😠

23 hours ago, KDawg said:

But if they have Charles tabbed as the future LT, drafting a LT in the first seems pretty wasteful in terms of use of resources UNLESS they are the true BPA. If they have him tabbed as the LG of the future, drafting a LT makes all the sense in the world. 

I don't think they are making any decisions based on him. They've been operating logically and it'd be illogical to base any of your plans on a 4th round pick who has played two snaps and missed time from his college team on top of that for character issues.

It's up to Charles to get healthy and find a niche on the team at this point, not up to the team to find an efficient way to build around him.

34 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think they are making any decisions based on him. They've been operating logically and it'd be illogical to base any of your plans on a 4th round pick who has played two snaps and missed time from his college team on top of that for character issues.

It's up to Charles to get healthy and find a niche on the team at this point, not up to the team to find an efficient way to build around him.

I said that.

I think I am correct in saying all of the OL from last year will technically be back meaning no one left.  They have already had one signing and will most likely be drafting one.  That would mean somebody who is on the team currently is going to get left out unless some who are eligible go to the PS  

7 minutes ago, glongest said:

I think I am correct in saying all of the OL from last year will technically be back meaning no one left.  They have already had one signing and will most likely be drafting one.  That would mean somebody who is on the team currently is going to get left out unless some who are eligible go to the PS  

You've got to have numbers, as it is likely that at least one of the guys will start out the season on IR.

34 minutes ago, method man said:

Charles will get to compete for the LT and/or LG jobs. He is likely an upgrade over Schweitzer, who is an awesome swing option. I still think we need a real LT option. Darrisaw or Cosmi or both should be there at #19

This is where I’m at as well.  If AVT, Darisaw and Cosmi are all gone, there will be a high end talent that drops.  WFT can then either stay put and go BPA, or have a better chance at dropping back some (either a future pick, or one they can use this year to move up in the 2nd if warranted).

Even if we draft a 1st round OT and they get beat out by one of Lucas/Christian/Charles, 1) we’re set in terms of injury, 2) we now have a potential succession plan for LT (assuming the rookie pans out), and 3) if Charles proves himself, it gives us the chance to trade Moses next year.

Although our oline graded well, I feel like there’s a lot of room for improvement in the ground game.

If someone were to say to me: “Based on the current roster, which positions need immediate upgrades to win... in order...?”

I would respond with: 

1. Linebacker

2. Free

3. Boundary Receiver/Tight End

4. Bellcow back

5. Offensive Line

if someone were to ask: “what positions that you think could use an upgrade could give the most immediate upgrade to the eye?”

1. Linebacker

2. OL

3. Receiver/TE

4. Free

5. Bellcow

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

If someone were to say to me: “Based on the current roster, which positions need immediate upgrades to win... in order...?”

I would respond with: 

1. Linebacker

2. Free

3. Boundary Receiver/Tight End

4. Bellcow back

5. Offensive Line

if someone were to ask: “what positions that you think could use an upgrade could give the most immediate upgrade to the eye?”

1. Linebacker

2. OL

3. Receiver/TE

4. Free

5. Bellcow

I hear what you’re saying. My fear is that it seems like we were lucky to get what we got out of the tackle position last year. I’m worried our tackle play could suddenly fall off a cliff and that we won’t have anybody of consequence in the pipeline. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2021 at 11:53 AM, Anselmheifer said:

I hear what you’re saying. My fear is that it seems like we were lucky to get what we got out of the tackle position last year. I’m worried our tackle play could suddenly fall off a cliff and that we won’t have anybody of consequence in the pipeline. 

Between Lucas, Christian and Charles, I’m fairly comfortable with LT for this year - though it could use an upgrade for sure.  After this year though, the former two are FAs, and Charles is a complete unknown.  On the other hand, from what I’ve seen, Fitzy will hold the ball at times as he attacks downfield, so a more immediate upgrade at LT would probably be a smart move.

Edited by skinny21

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Between Lucas, Christian and Charles, I’m fairly comfortable with LT for this year - though it could use an upgrade for sure.  After this year though, the former two are FAs, and Charles is a complete unknown.  On the other hand, from what I’ve seen, Fitzy will hold the ball at times as he attacks downfield, so a more immediate upgrade at LT would probably be a smart move.

Charles has shown nothing but at least is young and has potential. Christian has already proven he can't hack it. Lucas is a career journeyman who played above his career mean last year. I agree with you. We need an upgrade.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Charles has shown nothing but at least is young and has potential. Christian has already proven he can't hack it. Lucas is a career journeyman who played above his career mean last year. I agree with you. We need an upgrade.

Yeah, I’m not counting on Charles in the least ATM, in fact I assume there’s a decent chance he becomes a G instead.  As our 4th tackle though?  Well, it’s kind of whatever at that point.  If he earns the starting gig or backup role, that’s probably a good sign though.

I pretty much agree about Christian and Lucas, except I was thinking Christian earned the starting spot over Lucas and lost it due to injury... am I wrong about that?  Maybe the level of competition in TC (against Young I mean) helped them out a bit, I dunno.  I was pretty surprised Lucas wasn’t some glaring weak link.  

So anyway, when I say I’m comfortable with that group, I just mean they aren’t terrible.  Factoring in the importance of the position, what an upgrade might represent for the team as a whole, and the need for a succession plan... LT is my 1b to 1a for LB.  Actually, Qb is my 1a thru 1c, but I’m leaving that off for now as I don’t think we’re landing a stud in the draft.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:04 PM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

A starting line of this from RR would not surprise me,

LT Lucas

LG Schweitzer

C Roullier

RG Scherff

RT Moses 

Groundhog day, it’s going to to be this :ols:

Rookie LT would be a key addition required to the OL core group.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Groundhog day, it’s going to to be this :ols:

Rookie LT would be a key addition required to the OL core group.

Just a thought buddy, but if we're still 20m under the Cap why don't we extend Sherff and Allen to LTD, but pay them big cap hits this year so future years would be smaller, eg, Sherff 18m this year then 14/15m for next 3 years. 

Just now, markmills67 said:

Just a thought buddy, but if we're still 20m under the Cap why don't we extend Sherff and Allen to LTD, but pay them big cap hits this year so future years would be smaller, eg, Sherff 18m this year then 14/15m for next 3 years. 

I think that 20mil is before the Curtis Samuel contract, so the number is really nearer to 15mil.

You could essentially do that on Scherff by adding a 3 or 4 year extension on to the end of this tag year. Problem is he may well want 18mil per year as a base number moving forward. 

Same with Allen who apparently was in the 17mil per year range when they were talking back in December. I don’t think free agency helped our cause with that one either.

To me it’s straightforward, you either want the players around long term or you don’t. If you do, then you just got to pay them. If we don’t, someone else will. The player and agent know that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig

Screen Shot 2021-03-22 at 8.01.10 AM.png

Standig in his tweet, I think is really tuned in on this tweet.  I like his week 1 projection and think it's on point.  Truly believe that QB or LB round 1 and LOT on Day 2.  Just a guess.  Me, if no QB in Round 1 trade down to later in Round 1 and pick up more draft ammo.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RWJ said:

Standig in his tweet, I think is really tuned in on this tweet.  I like his week 1 projection and think it's on point.  Truly believe that QB or LB round 1 and LOT on Day 2.  Just a guess.  Me, if no QB in Round 1 trade down to later in Round 1 and pick up more draft ammo.  

Unlike Keim, Standig thinks QB is out.  So if you are going with his take then take Qb off the table.   He hasn't really hung on a position so much -- like Keim he mentions LT here and there.  Also thinks LB in play because of FA thus far. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Unlike Keim, Standig thinks QB is out.  So if you are going with his take then take Qb off the table.   He hasn't really hung on a position so much -- like Keim he mentions LT here and there.  Also thinks LB in play because of FA thus far. 

Well, I agree with most of what he say but do think we need to address the QB position this year with one of our 1st 3 picks.  LOT in the 2nd would be fine with me though. 

28 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Well, I agree with most of what he say but do think we need to address the QB position this year with one of our 1st 3 picks.  LOT in the 2nd would be fine with me though. 

Not sure who would be left at LT in the 2nd.  Of the ones I like maybe Radunz? Eichenberg?    I'd guess right now they do it in the first and Darrisaw or Cosmi is the pick. Will see.

Most QBs taken fail and the lower in the draft you go the more failures you get.  So personally i wouldn't force a pick at QB considering the odds on we'd be throwing that pick in the trash.  it's a lottery ticket and if they want to take one (as Keim mentioned that would likely mean discarding Heinicke or Allen because they unlikely keep 4 QBs) then OK.  But i am not anxious about it one way or another.  If it were me I'd skip QB but if they want to try a lottery ticket, i am cool with it.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1