Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

2 hours ago, markmills67 said:

What do you all think about the chances we sign Sherff to a LTD, 

I'll start it off at 70% chance. 

I'd like to say 100% due to expressed interest from both sides. I hope to hear of a deal by the end of the week. IMO the longer it doesn't get done the higher it could go.

If Charles had proven to be a good LT or even RT last year I might not be so inclined to sign him due the high contract he will expect. There are just so many holes and Scherff stabilizes the OL

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I'd like to say 100% due to expressed interest from both sides. I hope to hear of a deal by the end of the week. IMO the longer it doesn't get done the higher it could go.

If Charles had proven to be a good LT or even RT last year I might not be so inclined to sign him due the high contract he will expect. There are just so many holes and Scherff stabilizes the OL

Agree, if Smith is getting released today/tomorrow, I think Scherff has a new deal by Friday at the latest.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Agree, if Smith is getting released today/tomorrow, I think Scherff has a new deal by Friday at the latest.

That would be amazing. I am not a huge fan of the slow playing we seem to be doing the last couple years on our big FA’s. Just get it done. Him and John, sign them up, let’s GO!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

That would be amazing. I am not a huge fan of the slow playing we seem to be doing the last couple years on our big FA’s. Just get it done. Him and John, sign them up, let’s GO!

They will - they just got back from holiday... or is it vacation?  :)

Either way, they’re back at work now, and after dealing with Smith, my guess is they start on the FAs (including RFAs and ERFAs).

• Like 1

I think its far from a given Skins sign Scherff to a LTD. while he might have skins over the barrel because they need O line help... he's also probably not finding a huge deal in FA due to reduced cap. WFT might let him shop his services to see what he gets and then offer to match the deal from another team. His health mainly removes him from top 5 guard conversation.. he wants to be paid as a top guard... eh

Edited by oraphus
  • Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 8:48 AM, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

You nailed it 74.  I am thinking the money saved releasing Smith will be used to do a new deal with Scherff. :)

Could be that the team is looking to see who other teams cut before resigning Scherff. If a bunch of decent to good Guards get cut, they might decide to go with a cheaper option. I'd still prefer to resign Scherff though. He's just hitting his prime and dominant interior OL matter.

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Could be that the team is looking to see who other teams cut before resigning Scherff. If a bunch of decent to good Guards get cut, they might decide to go with a cheaper option. I'd still prefer to resign Scherff though. He's just hitting his prime and dominant interior OL matter.

Speaking of which, Gabe Jackson released 

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Agreed, and I think both sides benefit from waiting. Scherffs camp can say on the eve of free agency, "he hits the open market tomorrow and will be gone, give us your best offer or sayonara".  The only one with a sense of urgency are the fans.

5 hours ago, oraphus said:

I think its far from a given Skins sign Scherff to a LTD. while he might have skins over the barrel because they need O line help... he's also probably not finding a huge deal in FA due to reduced cap. WFT might let him shop his services to see what he gets and then offer to match the deal from another team. His health mainly removes him from top 5 guard conversation.. he wants to be paid as a top guard... eh

Good point...might not be the best year to be a free agent guard as far as making top dollar compared to other years. 

10 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Everyone knows the cost already and t'll get done.

Sign Scherff long-term, but trade Allen.  We need to play Ion this season and already have Settle as the 3rd guy.  Signing Allen to a huge contract means Ion and Settle will leave when they become free agents.  And Payne will get paid more than Allen.      

2 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

I will lose my mind if they sign Allen long-term. 

Give that money to Allen Robinson/top talent FA, get a couple of draft picks by trading Allen and see what Ioannidis can do as a starter. 

Great minds think alike - and so do we.  

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Give that money to Allen Robinson/top talent FA, get a couple of draft picks by trading Allen and see what Ioannidis can do as a starter. 

From the FO’s perspective, 1) Allen is a talented DT, 2) he’s one of their leaders, 3) he seems to fit their ‘culture’ build to a ‘T’, 4) rewarding your own plays into the culture aspect, 4) they probably don’t want to mess with what worked last year, 5) Ioannidis is a bit of an unknown to them having missed the year, and 6) Allen is in his prime and will be for the duration of a new contract, injuries aside, and he’s been healthy.

Not saying they shouldn’t trade him, but there are compelling reasons not to.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The Ionnidis love is weird. I know he's good. But he's off the books after 2022 and will be past his prime. It makes no sense to dump Allen for Ionnidis. Even Settle. Solid player, but he's gone after this year.

Not to quote myself, BUT I have hit on this a ton. We have massive amounts of cap space into the future. If we draft and "Nail" another WR and OT in the early parts of the draft, and eventually go the rookie QB path ... we will have all of our expensive positions locked up for fairly cheap. And by the time those players will need to be paid, we will have back-filled with rookies and rotated through a few cycles of talent. But there's no reason we can't / shouldn't keep Allen and Payne through their 2nd contracts, especially since the first couple years will fall in the rookie contracts of Sweat and Young. By the time you have to extend Young beyond his 5th year, Allen's extension will be either off the books or cut-able. Same with Payne. And if you start to draft and develop, you can get a couple interior DL in future drafts to backfill Allen and Payne should the DL be too expensive in 2024 and beyond when Sweat and Young will be making more $$.

But your two DEs will be making $13, 15, $24 million in 2021, 2022 and 2023 respectively. That's very affordable, and there's no reason you can't use those 3 years to pay your interior DL the bigger chunks of their extensions.

Below are the cap numbers for 2021-2022-2023 for those 4

Sweat: $3m, $4m, $13m (5th year option)

Young: $9m, $10m, $11m

Allen: $10m (5yth year), $13m, $15m

Payne: $5m, $10m (5th year), $13m

The only year in that 3 year range (going out to 2023) where the number gets "high" is 2023 ... and you think we'll be screwed in 2023 with a $240 million cap with $54m going to an elite Defensive Line? Please. Young's 5th year (probably around $16-18m at that stage) wouldn't hit until 2024. And the first couple of years of Allen and Payne's extension are likely to fall below whatever the average per year of the contract will be. So even if both extend for $15-17m per year contracts, the cap hits on the two earlier years will probably be on the lower end of the average before becoming a bit more bloated in 2024 and 2025.

2024 would get interesting for sure, but that's 3 full seasons away. And even in that year, with a Sweat extension you are looking at $65m or so on probably a $260 million cap being on the DL? 2025 would be the year Sweat and Chase could be combining for $40-45m in cap hits on their own, and that would probably be the year you cut Allen or Payne or both to get the DL number down to a more manageable level in the $40-50m range (assuming replaced with rookies)

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a hard time trading Allen. He's a leader in the locker room and the PFF metrics suggest he's better then his #s might say he is. He's a strong Rivera culture guy. I think if anything he stays and Payne is the one dealt.

I like Settle but his ceiling might be a rotational 3rd DT type.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

The Ionnidis love is weird. I know he's good. But he's off the books after 2022 and will be past his prime. It makes no sense to dump Allen for Ionnidis. Even Settle. Solid player, but he's gone after this year.

Respectfully disagree.  Ion is a helluva player. How soon we forget. Low mileage as well. He's a keeper IMHO. 

• Thanks 1

Not sure what's taking so long signing Sherff to a LTD, this is a Big Decision for Rivera and Co, they talked all year about looking after there own. I just hope that they don't sign another RG in free agency and let Sherff go for the sake of 3/4m a year. We have loads of cap space not just this year but in the next few years as well. 

13 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Respectfully disagree.  Ion is a helluva player. How soon we forget. Low mileage as well. He's a keeper IMHO. 

On 3/4/2021 at 9:08 AM, Ruzious said:

Sign Scherff long-term, but trade Allen.  We need to play Ion this season and already have Settle as the 3rd guy.  Signing Allen to a huge contract means Ion and Settle will leave when they become free agents.  And Payne will get paid more than Allen.      

Great minds think alike - and so do we.  

On 3/4/2021 at 9:06 AM, Silvernon said:

Who was better last year, Allen or Iaon?

Which of the 2 have a higher pass rush win rate?

Who leads the team in pass rush win rate?