Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Alex Smith is definitely a big reason that all of a sudden the Oline looks good.

Yep that is generally the case. Competent QB play tends to make OLs look better. It reminds me of back when we had Jason Campbell getting sacked all the time and all of a sudden when Todd Collins comes in the OL look like the Hogs. Or when we went from RG3 to Cousins.

Its funny how the best QBs tend to have the best OLs.

• Like 1

Alex gets thru his reads super quick and gets the ball out. Unless there’s immediate inside pressure, Alex is gonna get the ball to someone.  
 I’ve had my reservations regarding Alex but I’m happy to acknowledge that his playing style marries well with what turners offense appears to be tryin to do.  
....is it possible we’re....improving?...lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

I’m coming around to the idea of trying to retain both Roullier and Scherff. I think with Schweitzer that is a becoming a very good interior.

Roullier has played consistent and always healthy. I have warmed to trying to resigning him.

Scherff is great for the 10 games a year he is healthy. His health and size of contract scare me. I do wish they had extended him last year.

Agree with Schweitzer. If he continues his play he should be next years starter at LG

• Like 1

6 hours ago, veteranskinsfan said:

I thought we would miss Our old line coach but this new offensive line coach is doing a good job of mixing player combinations due to injuries.

Yea, I knew he would be good, after looking at his resume after the hire.

Thing I don't get is, why is there such a huge chasm between our run and pass blocking ?

Our run blocking has been outstanding. But practically every pass play, the whole OLine immediately collapses and gets pushed back into the QB face.

Even weirder, it was exactly that way with Callahan too.

So, a different OL coach, and a few different players - and same result of good run blocking, with simultaneously poor pass blocking.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

I’m happy with the oline.  They can’t sell a rb screen for **** though (apparently).  I’d be shelving those for the foreseeable future.

I think the multiple motions, and misdirections have helped the oline a good bit.  I’m not sure I love the empty backfield at times, though it’s generally worked.

• Like 1

Take PFF for what it's worth but our primary starters Scherff, Roullier, Schweizer and Moses all currently have grades that easily exceed their best career year in the PFF grading system. John Matsko has really done a great job with this uni. Also might open up the opportunity to prioritize other roster holes going forward if we extend Roullier and Scherff.

I'm still looking to upgrade the OL with a Tackle + Guard/Center in the draft. Smith helps the OL by being a predominantly check down guy who gets the ball out quick, but I'd like to see our offense continue to evolve. We will need 1 or 2 upgrades for that to be possible.

Who are these guys. I like em!  That huge hole for Gibson on his 3rd TD was a thing a beauty and back breaker in one, which ruined thanksgiving proper for our preferred enemy.   I am so glad Callahan is finally gone.  His OL units couldn't handle stunts, repeatedly and couldn't even establish an identity.  I still wonder about his super blow loss and abandoning the gamplan/playbook that set even his star players off.

Edited by RandyHolt

17 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Yea, I knew he would be good, after looking at his resume after the hire.

Thing I don't get is, why is there such a huge chasm between our run and pass blocking ?

Our run blocking has been outstanding. But practically every pass play, the whole OLine immediately collapses and gets pushed back into the QB face.

Even weirder, it was exactly that way with Callahan too.

So, a different OL coach, and a few different players - and same result of good run blocking, with simultaneously poor pass blocking.

Recency bias. 

When Callahan took over, we went to a power blocking scheme... which never fit our previous personnel. And we couldn’t run the ball at all under Gruden. But they excelled at pass blocking. And why our pass-run ratio was 60-40. And the team couldn’t ever convert short-yardage for first downs.

• Like 2

On 11/25/2020 at 7:11 AM, Koolblue13 said:

Alex Smith is definitely a big reason that all of a sudden the Oline looks good.

Helping his pass pro out with quick throws, but it's not much of a passing game.  However, when we play two fronts as shockingly soft as the Bengals and Cowboys were, then we can run the ball and score a ton of points on the ground.

Schweitzer has been good.  Been a tone setter along with Scherff.  They bullied those defensive lines the past two games.  Hopefully something weird happens with the Steelers game and they come into our match up exhausted.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'd rather just resign Roullier. He's been pretty solid and dependable since year 1 and I doubt he breaks the bank since he's not an All Pro type guy. We should be able to retain him for a fairly good price.

He’s playing top ten for his position this year. Could be looking at 8m per year, don’t know, what do you think?

6 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Outside of Moses, we don't have a proven starter at tackle. While I'm hoping Charles is that guy, I lean toward drafting a tackle in the first three rounds. 

Same here. ideally I hope we are in a suitable draft position to go QB/ OT first 2 picks.

LB, TE, FS soon after.

11 minutes ago, dswerdlw said:

Outside of Moses, we don't have a proven starter at tackle. While I'm hoping Charles is that guy, I lean toward drafting a tackle in the first three rounds. 

Absolutely. Also you can never have too many good O-liners. But if we don't re-sign Scherff & Roullier we will be forced to draft there anyways.

We should resign Scherff and Roullier not only because they are good players, but also because of how that commitment would affirm the culture of responsibility that Rivera wants to instill. It's kind of like going for it on fourth down because you want to show the players you believe in their ability and desire to succeed. During a rebuild, those investments are necessary. If we had a rock solid culture of winning, I could see letting Scherff or Roullier go...but we don't have that culture yet.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dswerdlw said:

We should resign Scherff and Roullier not only because they are good players, but also because of how that commitment would affirm the culture of responsibility that Rivera wants to instill. It's kind of like going for it on fourth down because you want to show the players you believe in their ability and desire to succeed. During a rebuild, those investments are necessary. If we had a rock solid culture of winning, I could see letting Scherff or Roullier go...but we don't have that culture yet.

this is where I’m at too. OL coach has got the unit working much better. would solidify the interior for next season. We have Charles coming back healthy, hopefully. Add another tackle prospect the draft too.

7 hours ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

He’s playing top ten for his position this year. Could be looking at 8m per year, don’t know, what do you think?

You could be correct but probably high for him. I wish they would approach him and Settle now about an extension. The longer you wait the higher the price will probably go and the more chance of others bidding on him if he reaches FA...then you let him walk or at least hope for the ability to match offers.

Edited by DWinzit