Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

17 minutes ago, method man said:

If you take a look at the OL grades, it seems to be one guy that's really bringing the overall grade down. If Scherff is ready to go and can be at least above average, that'll certainly help.

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 2.04.37 PM.png

Fuller was $10mil/yr of well spent money.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

Looking at the grades, and looking at the pressure the QBs and RBs were under... I have to wonder if Martin was so bad that the other guys missed blocks didn’t effect their grades. 

You’d think they would, but man... I can’t see a world where we had three OL with grades that high after that performance.

PFF grades are useless and absurd.  A huge portion of the pressure that's been getting through has been on that right side, right where Morgan Moses has been blocking grass on blitzes and stunts.

You can tell these aren't failures by the QB either.  All three of them have been completely surprised by where the pressure is coming from indicating they've read their pressures and made their shifts and the pressure is getting through in places it shouldn't be.  The OL has been horrible.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, KDawg said:

Looking at the grades, and looking at the pressure the QBs and RBs were under... I have to wonder if Martin was so bad that the other guys missed blocks didn’t effect their grades. 

You’d think they would, but man... I can’t see a world where we had three OL with grades that high after that performance.

Wes Martin had a 0.2 grade for Sunday's game. If Scherff is back, he needs to sit his ass down and let Scheitzer take over on the left side.

37 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Scherff is back at practice.  We really dodged a bullet there.

we should be shopping Scherff before the trade deadline. 

day 2 pick or a trade involving a later round pick plus a player at another position of strong need, starting TE/WR/LB/FS.

if we aren’t extending him, ship him out now.

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Wes Martin had a 0.2 grade for Sunday's game. If Scherff is back, he needs to sit his ass down and let Scheitzer take over on the left side.

Schweitzer has shown enough quality, just about anyway, that makes me think he could hold down one of the starting guard positions into next season.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

day 2 pick or a trade involving a later round pick plus a player at another position of strong need, starting TE/WR/LB/FS.

Even I'm not enough of a homer to think a guy just coming off an injury, who will play at most 11 games, who will be a free agent and expected to be paid at the highest level in a year the cap goes down would be in demand

50 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Making a move like that would require having a GM.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carex said:

Even I'm not enough of a homer to think a guy just coming off an injury, who will play at most 11 games, who will be a free agent and expected to be paid at the highest level in a year the cap goes down would be in demand

Really, I’d say he’d have enough people interested.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Making a move like that would require having a GM.

Can’t say I disagree with that sentiment. Could be a fair point.

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Can’t say I disagree with that sentiment. Could be a fair point.

Not really a sentiment so much as a fact.  We don't have a true GM.  To be able to sniff around the league and make trades of players on the roster that the coaching staff is still going to want for the season is a GM's power.  We definitely don't have anyone in the FO with that kind of power.  As such, we're not going to be able to take advantage of opportunities to add long term team building resource value like trading key players before they walk in free agency.

13 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Question for KDawg (who I believe coaches oline).... could Schweitzer go from RG to LG when Scherff comes back in. How difficult is the transition from one guard spot to the other?

Some guys have an easier time with it than others. I’ve seen guys that can play either side equally and be a destroyer... and ive seen guys who are really awkward about it and look like they’ve forgotten how to play guard. Granted, these aren’t pros I’ve worked with. But the idea is similar.

Edited by KDawg
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Question for KDawg (who I believe coaches oline).... could Schweitzer go from RG to LG when Scherff comes back in. How difficult is the transition from one guard spot to the other?

I played guard in HS. I could go both ways...

I have the inkling, with nothing to really back it up, that we'll see more of Charles after the bye week.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I played guard in HS. I could go both ways...

I have the inkling, with nothing to really back it up, that we'll see more of Charles after the bye week.

I think that’s been the plan all along for him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Just so you know, Schweitzer is a swing interior OL. He's started at least 13 games at LG as he took over the spot for the Falcons in 2018 when their regular guy went down

• Like 2

Glad we signed Schweitzer to a three yr deal. That is working out well. Would be more than happy with him as a long term answer on the Oline. That has been a major bonus in Scheriff's injury. Now we know we have the person on staff to let him walk if that is the direction we choose to go.

Finding space for Charles to get some PT at guard will be difficult w/ Sheriff back and Schweit manning the left side. It would have been great if he was healthy a few weeks earlier. 

• Like 1