Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

Nah, I think you stay in the Scherff market, but I don’t think he’s resetting the market or anything, so his cost may come down. Being paid top 10 with some incentives to get closer to top 5 money or something. 

Keep the right side intact for next two years while rebuilding the left side, then begin developing replacements for Scherff and Moses. 

Any football player is getting injured on that play, it’s actually a testament to him that it wasn’t more serious. 

Edited by wit33

33 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Nah, I think you stay in the Scherff market, but I don’t think he’s resetting the market or anything, so his cost may come down. Being paid top 10 with some incentives to get closer to top 5 money or something. 

Keep the right side intact for next two years while rebuilding the left side, then begin developing replacements for Scherff and Moses. 

Any football player is getting injured on that play, it’s actually a testament to him that it wasn’t more serious. 

if you want to pay big bucks for a guard, why would you rather not have Joe Thuney? He stays healthy

22 minutes ago, method man said:

if you want to pay big bucks for a guard, why would you rather not have Joe Thuney? He stays healthy

Open to any and all options to improve the Oline. Thuney works. 

The team has money to throw and overpay even to fix the Oline next year if that’s the route they wanted to go. 

Not sure what percentage I’d put on players remaining healthy on being fortunate/lucky, but it’s over 50%. Absolutely nothing any player could have done to avoid the injury Scherff just got hit with, but I get it’s become consistent with him, so I wouldn’t pay him top 5 money due to his injury issues. Maybe another team will, who knows, but I still entertain keeping him around. 

2 hours ago, method man said:

look at my post from last week. At least 8 starting LTs are set to hit FA

Well one is Trent Williams, so probably a no go there. Ronnie Stanley would be great--but unlikely to leave Baltimore, would you leave that organization for this dumpster fire?  I thought the Packers re-signed David Bhaktiari, I could be wrong. Who else is available?

They're not good but they need time together to at least get to decent.  This is their first action together.  They need patience just as the other parts of the offense do.

But if we want the group to eventually be dominant, then we need like two new guys who are high end talents.  Kevin Dotson would have been nice.  Why do we never draft the college guards who were just stone cold studs at the college level?  More often than not, what they do translates to the NFL, provided they stay healthy.  We always draft these much more marginal guys who we have to talk ourselves into not being reaches with stuff like, "well he's athletic."

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

Well one is Trent Williams, so probably a no go there. Ronnie Stanley would be great--but unlikely to leave Baltimore, would you leave that organization for this dumpster fire?  I thought the Packers re-signed David Bhaktiari, I could be wrong. Who else is available?

If Stanley is not franchised, I would make him the highest paid LT in the league. If you don't get him, Dawkins from Buffalo is the other young guy you get. Other realistic options include Okung (he is old though) and Cam Robinson (who has been up and down due to injury). In addition to the list, I bet Reiff gets released this offseason so he'd be an average stopgap to fill the role.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bh32 said:

For the amount of money Scherff is making he sure does get pushed back a lot.. I think the line would look better with two new guards

Watched the oline in slow mo.  In pass sets Martin engages immediately at the snap at the LOS.  Scherff surrenders ground immediately in a back pedal. This doesn't leave a pocket for Haskins to step up in.  Im not sure why each would play with a different technique?  Seem an odd way if by design...   

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Gibson's first and only TD came by running to the right side.

That's our good side.

Do you all think we should run more to the right ?

The thought had crossed my mind for sure.  On the flip side, I’d strongly consider running away from Thomas and toward McLaurin more often.  

Run blocking is supposed to be easier - I don’t understand why we aren’t running the ball more, throwing more screens, and moving the pocket when they do throw.