Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The 2021 o line thread

bakedtater1

14 hours ago, Anselmheifer said:

Chandler Jones had 4 QB hits that game. We are so used to expecting nothing from our OT's. McQueen, everyone has been patient with Christian. He's had 3 years. I am ok with seeing how Chrsitian looks over the next 8 games and even over the whole season. He doesn't deserve some prolonged chance beyond that. 

Chndler Jones had 19 sacks last year, 13 the year before and a league leading 17 the season before that. He made first team All-Pro two out of the last three seasons. It doesn't get much tougher in terms of a matchup. Sure, 4 QB hits is in general nothing to brag about but considering the competition he went up against - and basically 1 vs 1 the entire game I think that's worth talking about. Especially after he rightfully got a lot of heat for his first game. Where he goes from here? Who knows. Next game could be a catastrophe again for all we know. But as of today the trend is showing upwards and it's not like we have someone ready to take over, so we might as well focus on some positive things and not just the negative.

13 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think some of you think the line is better than it is for some reason despite watching the game and knowing otherwise. 

I see absolutely no one that thinks this O-line isn't among the worst in the league - if not the worst.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 9/24/2020 at 1:16 PM, carex said:

what are you asking?  Are you asking if we're swapping the guards with Scherff out?

I am not tapped in enough to know whether they would think of seeing Martin at RG for a few games, or whether Ismael enters into the equation with Roullier moving to guard. 

Morgan Moses is quietly having a strong season so far. He really improved his run-blocking and both his holding penalties and his false starts are significantly down, I think he only had one holding called against him so far this season. The lost weight is showing for him, he also showed a great hussle when he caused the fumble after the first interception. Also he and Roullier have shown to be very durable. A couple of weeks ago I thought he would be a likely cut after the season but if he plays like this we need to keep him.

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Morgan Moses is quietly having a strong season so far. He really improved his run-blocking and both his holding penalties and his false starts are significantly down, I think he only had one holding called against him so far this season. The lost weight is showing for him, he also showed a great hussle when he caused the fumble after the first interception. Also he and Roullier have shown to be very durable. A couple of weeks ago I thought he would be a likely cut after the season but if he plays like this we need to keep him.

I think Moses is back next year because it’s very difficult to get 5 new quality starting linemen into the line up. And Moses is the best of our 5.

I may be remembering wrong, but I think Roullier is a FA. He could be re-signed for sure, but it depends on cost. I’m not sure if he’s kept or not. If he is, 60% of our starters need to be overhauled. If he’s not... 80%. Ismael and Charles may be able to step up. If so, it’s still 40% of our starters that need to be replaced. 

Basically, we’re going to be retooling 60-80% of our starting line (or we should be).

Moses is under contract and will likely start there next year.

48 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I think Moses is back next year because it’s very difficult to get 5 new quality starting linemen into the line up. And Moses is the best of our 5.

I may be remembering wrong, but I think Roullier is a FA. He could be re-signed for sure, but it depends on cost. I’m not sure if he’s kept or not. If he is, 60% of our starters need to be overhauled. If he’s not... 80%. Ismael and Charles may be able to step up. If so, it’s still 40% of our starters that need to be replaced. 

Basically, we’re going to be retooling 60-80% of our starting line (or we should be).

Moses is under contract and will likely start there next year.

he is, but would a C as bad as people here say he is attract that much attention in a year the salary cap goes down?

Austin Reiter who was once on our practice squad is now the starting C for the defending champion Chiefs.

My point being, you don't need five all pro studs on the OL. You need five solid guys who mesh well together and a scheme that fits their talents.

Edited by Warhead36
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Austin Reiter who was once on our practice squad is now the starting C for the defending champion Chiefs.

My point being, you don't need five all pro studs on the OL. You need five solid guys who mesh well together and a scheme that fits their talents.

Absolutely. And we don’t have that. The line needs to be retooled.

13 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

Exactly. 

Ismael likely to play next year. Similar to how everything went down with Roullier. 

Roullier is gonna go down the same way Spencer Long did. A big contract that backfires.

8 hours ago, KDawg said:

I think if he's back he's gonna have to restructure. That nearly 10 million dollar hit sucks.

• Like 1

Moses likely sticks around because his base salary of 7.5mil in 2021 will be viewed as reasonable value I think.

Even if the cap tanks to 175mil in total, if we cut Smith we will have a healthy 60-65mil in space, top 5 in the league maybe? Would like to think that adds us at least one quality OL in free agency. 

Best hope at the moment is that we get starters out of Charles and Ismael, Moses hangs on RT, so we need 2 starters. Very good chance in reality that we need 3 though if we want to drastically improve that group.

11 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Moses likely sticks around because his base salary of 7.5mil in 2021 will be viewed as reasonable value I think.

His cap hit is 9.65, which would put him 10th at RT. Is he a top ten right tackle? I'm always leery of a guy that plays better than normal when it's a contract year (sort of).

9 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

His cap hit is 9.65, which would put him 10th at RT. Is he a top ten right tackle? I'm always leery of a guy that plays better than normal when it's a contract year (sort of).

He’ll be lower come the start of the season...