Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2021 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

They are even tougher on Yebolah.  Not that I am that into Yebolah but in the mid rounds as a flier what the heck?

I am surprised PFF likes Tremble who is defintiely one of my guys.  I figured PFF would slam him as they often do with players who haven't shown production yet.  But they like him.  

I understand the top 3-4 (not sure where they stand on Brevin) getting high grades. If these guys are graded that low, who are their mid tier?  Long and Eubanks eh

5 hours ago, mhd24 said:

Here is my latest (only one round) mock (post free agency with trades):

3). Jets trade #23+#86 to Washington for #19

23). Wash (from NYJ)-Jamin Davis (We take Davis to give us that speedy LB we have been craving for).

Boy would a trade like that be sweet giving WFT 3 3rds.

Since it is with the Jets, I hope they go with the 23rd and Darnold or Mosley. Of course if Mosley the pick would probably have been LT or DB instead of LB.

Has anyone talked about Sammis Reyes? Played D1 hoops at Tulane and just participated in a pro day for international prospects at UF. He's 6'5" and 260#. Ran a 4.64 fourty, 35.5" vertical, 35.5" vertical and 31 bench reps. No prior football experience. Interesting late round flyer maybe. 

Also, I really like Louie Tee, if any of you guys want to check out his stuff. I watch it on youtube, or listen during drives and he's great. 

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/chiles-sammis-reyes-former-d1-hoopers-nfl-pro-day-was-a-slam-dunk/

12 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Has anyone talked about Sammis Reyes? Played D1 hoops at Tulane and just participated in a pro day for international prospects at UF. He's 6'5" and 260#. Ran a 4.64 fourty, 35.5" vertical, 35.5" vertical and 31 bench reps. No prior football experience. Interesting late round flyer maybe. 

Also, I really like Louie Tee, if any of you guys want to check out his stuff. I watch it on youtube, or listen during drives and he's great. 

https://www.americanfootballinternational.com/chiles-sammis-reyes-former-d1-hoopers-nfl-pro-day-was-a-slam-dunk/

I’ve been calling for a developmental athlete like Reyes as a prospective WFT TE for years. The basketball pedigree and his leaping for rebounds is a major plus.

Put me in line for a day three flyer on this guy. Dude seems to have the proper attitude too...

Reyes feels as if his transition to the gridiron is complete and his numbers show a phenomenal athlete with sky high potential.

The former Chilean national team power forward explains how determined he is to reach his football goals::

“I want to make the NFL. I’m not here to play games, I’m (not) doing this for fame, I’m not doing this for clout. I’m doing this because I want to get there. I’m hungry, I’m willing to do anything, whatever it takes to get there. I want to be a part of an NFL team and make the 53-man roster.”

Look for Reyes to draw interest from several NFL teams. Transforming basketball players to tight ends has proven to be a successful process in the NFL and teams are always on the lookout for players with Reyes’s athleticism and work ethic.

Rondale Moore is who I want in the second. I think he could be another Tyreek Hill. Look at his crazy change of direction running routes at his pro day. 

Chrsitian Darrisaw or Teven Jenkins in the 1st and Rondale Moore in the 2nd. TE with one of our 3rds. The rest of our picks at LB and DB. 

would you trade this year's first and second, 2022 1st round, 2023 first round, and 2024 first round for jacksonville's 1st to get lawrence? based on his college history, he is the only qb that i would draft this year.  all the others, nah.  tired of looking at qb's with 1 year or less experience!  if they were going to do that, i'd wait till the 3rd round to get one.  

On 3/22/2021 at 9:12 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

PFF mock, for a change I did their 2nd and third round.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2021-three-round-nfl-mock-draft-zach-wilson-jets-san-francisco-49ers-justin-fields

ROUND 2...

46. DENVER BRONCOS (FROM NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS) — S JEVON HOLLAND, OREGON

I don't get why this guy doesn't get talked about more.

I could easily see him going higher than what most people are mocking him at.

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I’ve been calling for a developmental athlete like Reyes as a prospective WFT TE for years. The basketball pedigree and his leaping for rebounds is a major plus.

Put me in line for a day three flyer on this guy. Dude seems to have the proper attitude too...

Reyes feels as if his transition to the gridiron is complete and his numbers show a phenomenal athlete with sky high potential.

The former Chilean national team power forward explains how determined he is to reach his football goals::

“I want to make the NFL. I’m not here to play games, I’m (not) doing this for fame, I’m not doing this for clout. I’m doing this because I want to get there. I’m hungry, I’m willing to do anything, whatever it takes to get there. I want to be a part of an NFL team and make the 53-man roster.”

Look for Reyes to draw interest from several NFL teams. Transforming basketball players to tight ends has proven to be a successful process in the NFL and teams are always on the lookout for players with Reyes’s athleticism and work ethic.

does he have any in game experience?  if he's there at 6, i hope they take him.

11 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/draft/nfl-draft/hot-take-tuesday-oklahoma-state-ol-teven-jenkins-is-a-top-ten-player

A big part of their success was number 73. Jenkins played both right and left tackle during his junior season, in which he pummeled defenders on a consistent basis. It was hard not to focus on Jenkins when watching the Cowboys’ offensive weapons. He was that dominant.

Yes, Jenkins was the best run blocker on film but he was also outstanding in pass protection, giving up a total of seven hurries in 12 games. He never gave up more than one pressure in any game. This means that a defensive end was lucky to get near the quarterback one time in a game in which they were lined up against Jenkins. That is tough sledding for anyone. It brings up another question; if he was so impactful, why didn’t Jenkins receive the first-round hype that other offensive tackles were getting?

It is mostly because Jenkins just puts his head down and works. He is an animal in the weight room, which is easy to see on the field. His coach Mike Gundy had this to say to Sports Illustrated about Jenkins before the season, “He’s uncharacteristically strong. I watched him in a weight room this summer. I think he hit 225 like 35 times and they weren’t even counting. I mean he was just doing it. He has tremendous feet. He’s got good leverage, he’s highly intelligent and his work ethic is getting better this year.”

Gundy was right about Jenkins. He took that next step, with big-time performances against Oklahoma State’s top competition this season, including an excellent performance against another top prospect Joseph Ossai. Jenkins put on a clinic against Ossai, including a rep, where he drove him all the way into benches.

What a BS puff piece on Jenkins. He's not ranked as high as he should because...he works hard? What? It's acting like all other LTs are self-promoters that fuel their draft stock. Like working hard is a negative? Like NFL teams don't look at those types of traits? Was that article written by his mom? I mean it asks a legit question: If Jenkins is so good, why don't other draft gurus rank him higher? And there's no real answer given.

Look Jenkins, seems like a fine guy. It's just I expected more from a real journalist.

20 hours ago, Number 44 said:

I wouldn't mind seeing us draft Paddy Fisher.  Could be a late round steal.  I watched a lot of NU games and he seemed to always make the plays.  Go Cats!

I haven't seen any pro day results for him but the one knock on him is speed/quickness. While probably only a 2 down guy, he would be a nice late round add. He has real leadership qualities for the center of a D and the kind of guy I am certain RR and JDR would salivate over if he was able to be more sideline to sideline speed. He could take over Bostics role

48 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

I know I am not one of you draft gurus- tbh I frequently read this thread and feel like a cat watching the weather channel- but I just don't see how Fields slides to 9. 

Yeah....after the "his work ethic sucks" BS stories he is going top 5. We need to trade back and get more picks.

Mentioned Grant Stuard a while back, late round option at LB from Houston.

Anyway, that made me notice Payton Turner, DE/Edge. Very similar measurable’s to Montez Sweat, clearly aside from blazing speed, however looks an impactful player.

Wouldn’t mind us bringing a rookie depth/rotation player at that position. That line is key to our potential success moving forward. 

On 4/3/2021 at 7:10 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

lol, seems like you want to fall hard for one of the second day QBs, if so, don't let me or anyone else spoil it for you.  For me none of them i love.  But I've seen enough of Mills and Trask that i know i like Mills over him because of superior traits.    QBs are really hard to guess.  So no one really has a definitive opinion on any of them. 

I've seen the 4.6 for Mills and also the 4.82.  Big difference as to speed.  He doesn't look to me 4.6 fast when i watch him but looks faster than 4.82 -- maybe split the difference?  4.7.

As for who I want at 19.  Darrisaw.  My 2nd choice is Tevin Jenkins. 

I'm lazy, so my view is pretty simple, he was the #1 ranked pro style QB in his recruiting class, he had an aborted, short college career because of covid, so he's got the 1.5 years of development to look at. Not ideal, but much better than just one year as a starter. If you can't get Fields, Lance, or Lawrence, he's the only guy to me worth investing a day 2 pick on because of the pedigree. I think he'd be a wise choice simply from the standpoint that we have now solution at QB long term and next years class sucks. Lastly day 3 QB speculation is beyond moronic. You basically get 1-2 hits per decade total with day 3 picks. The odds of hitting are so minimal, it's basically pointless. Yes we hit on Cousins and we got like half a hit on Ferrotte 25+ years ago, expecting more hits and when they'll be 25-35 Hakel's and Hamdan's for every usable guy is just a total waste to me especially when you also consider that teams like to draft players w/special teams skill sets on day 3 so they can justify the roster spot if the player aint ready (and QB's never play special teams). 

For me, it's trade up,  Mills, the mystery guy next year, or '23. 

27 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Mentioned Grant Stuard a while back, late round option at LB from Houston.

Anyway, that made me notice Payton Turner, DE/Edge. Very similar measurable’s to Montez Sweat, clearly aside from blazing speed, however looks an impactful player.

Wouldn’t mind us bringing a rookie depth/rotation player at that position. That line is key to our potential success moving forward. 

Haven't heard about him (haven't watched any of the Edge guys).  Just watched him and I like him a lot.  I don't want to draft Edge, but at a certain point Turner looks like he'd be BPA and you can't not draft him.

Houston's Pro-Day is in 5 days (April 9th), so should be interesting.  Turner has defended 9 passes in his college career?  Wow.  FootballOutsiders found that passes defensed by a pass rush was surprisingly relevant to predicting pro success.  It's not the end all be all, but it's a good stat to have.  Watching the Tulane game and he's got his hand on 1 more pass that wasn't on the stat sheet, probably because the ball wound up being caught by the offense anyways.  They have Turner stunting inside or just lined up inside, his rushes don't do much, but he gets his hands in the passing lane.

He uses a few moves, speed around the edge, rips, an outside jab back to inside.  He's not clunky with these, so there's definite possible improvement.  I'm not sure I saw a speed to power, or a quality bull rush.  I know his arm length has to be fine, because he disengages in the run game seemingly whenever he wants.

I love his effort against both the run and the pass.  The guy tries hard against the run.

If we did draft Turner...what do we do on our d-line?  Allen/Payne/Ioannidis/Settle + Sweat/Young/...Turner.  Turner's size makes you think about possible kicking him inside on occasion (or Young or Sweat), but with Ioannidis coming back and Allen/Payne.  Kind of difficult to find room.  If we had a FS that could Man up, or play Single High really well (kind of rare)...then maybe we could use a 5-1 Nickel defense?  Collins/Curl rotate down to the box.  Would let us get a bit more DL talent onto the field at least.

P.S.  He's unfortunately not being slept on

-TDN has him ranked 89th right now

-Brugler has him ranked 59th.

P.P.S. I doubt we wind up taking him, but I'm now hoping he doesn't go to a division rival.

1 hour ago, The Consigliere said:

Lastly day 3 QB speculation is beyond moronic. You basically get 1-2 hits per decade total with day 3 picks. The odds of hitting are so minimal, it's basically pointless. Yes we hit on Cousins and we got like half a hit on Ferrotte 25+ years ago,

They signed Chase Daniel as an UFA in 2009 and that dude is still pulling an NFL paycheck.😆;)

:229:The Rook

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

It's not that unusual for a LT tackle prospect to play RT in college.  Usually when i am watching LT prospects a handful of them every year played RT.  Like i said among them Trent. 

As for why?  I don't know but I don't really care that much.  What I care about is guard versus tackle and to me arm length is a key part of the soup.  In college the field side is wider than it is in the pros.  Strong side of the field often on the right.   Some teams favor running on the right side/strong side and on the field.  A road grader like Jenkins makes sense on the right.  But it doesn't mean he can't play on the left.  

I'm not sure that I agree with you here.  No, I don't think a handful (5) RTs in college grade out to LTs in the NFL every year.  Not even close, IMO.  Heck, I don't think there are a whole lot more than 5 NFL-quality LTs that come out every year in total, much less 5 that played RT in college.  Not impossible, but uncommon, IMO.  I'd say that Trent was an exception, not the rule, if he was a RT in college.  If Jenkins grades out as a starting NFL-quality LT, fine, but I wouldn't say that is a common occurrence.  College coaches value protecting the QB's blindside, just like NFL coaches do.  Perhaps on teams that really don't pass much at all, or teams with a left-handed QB, there's not as much reason to differentiate between LT and RT, but in most major-college programs, they do seem to make that distinction, and from what I've seen, the majority of NFL-quality LTs that come out did, indeed, play LT in college.  You know far more than I about scouting and the NFL draft, but on this point I just can't agree with you.

Additionally, in all levels of football, the ball is placed where the previous play ended.  if the play ended outside the hashmarks, the ball is placed at the hashmark on that side of the field.  If it's an incomplete pass, the ball is spotted at the same place as the previous play.  The teams can't choose where the refs spot the ball.  (The exception being on a two-point conversion attempt.)  If a play goes to the right, the next play is spotted on the right side.  It is literally impossible for most plays to go to the right and also have most plays start with the ball on the left.  Now, of course, a play can be called to go right and the ball carrier might cut back to the left, but that is certainly not something that happens often enough to cause the majority of plays to both start and end on the left side of the field.

1 hour ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

P.S.  He's unfortunately not being slept on

-TDN has him ranked 89th right now

-Brugler has him ranked 59th.

P.P.S. I doubt we wind up taking him, but I'm now hoping he doesn't go to a division rival.

yeah he looks a day 2 lock now. Height/weight/arms/hands, just like Montez, clearly that speed not there, but as a rotation....Kerrigan played nearly 40% of snaps last season. We need to replace that. A rookie works for me given then money we will need to invest in that DL soon..

Archived